Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In the aftermath of the Chattanooga shooting, have some discussion material. Here's the website of the ministry in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Efforts to incorporate the different agnostic positions under the umbrella of different flavors of atheism should be viewed with a degree of suspicion, since they're relatively recent redefinitions in service of the new atheist movement, which likes being able to switch between positions as needed to gain rhetorical leverage. Who What Now, where did you get that image?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I have the image saved on my computer, I don't remember where I got it. What specific issues do you take with it, or is vague allusions to the spooky "New Atheist movement" all you have?

For one thing, it's got a great big asterisk on it and I want to know what it refers to. reverse GIS just gives me a bunch of rabid atheist blogs without a root source. More generally, this category system is (for reasons others have articulated), something developed by, I wanna say Dawkins- one of the four, anyways. Its purpose is to collapse several distinctions so that individuals holding the atheist position have the freedom to shift certainty statements and definition classes, while keeping the burden of proof on an externally defined Opposition.

quote:

More parrotting
Right, so it's pretty clear that the New Atheist Framing Debate is going to be what this thread is about for a while. I'll be back when it's over.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 22, 2015

• Locked thread