Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Happy Birthday America

All-Star Festivities are in Cincinatti this year

Home Run Derby is July 13
MLB All-Star Game is July 14

MLB non waiver Trade Deadline is July 31st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
How is Pujols good again?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ross Angeles posted:

Not as injured + drugs

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

40 is the new 30

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
drat you Giants, the Cubs are supposed to be in the playoffs if they started today. IT IS 2015, LET UP A BIT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ross Angeles posted:

Guys who were that good tend to age better and he's probably not as banged up.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Today's the 25th anniversary of the Yankees' Andy Hawkins throwing a no hitter in a game they lost 4-0. SBNation has a good article about it:

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/1/8841355/andy-hawkins-no-hitter-yankees-white-sox

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Royals cancer superfan kid died, also Hosmer owns. :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ross Angeles posted:

Everyone in baseball sucks now so he's just good by comparison.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

PotatoJudge posted:

Today's the 25th anniversary of the Yankees' Andy Hawkins throwing a no hitter in a game they lost 4-0. SBNation has a good article about it:

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/1/8841355/andy-hawkins-no-hitter-yankees-white-sox

I was still in elementary school when this happened, but I yearn for a time when the Yankees will again be this hilariously bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dammit Cardinals. The Pirates are having fairly good season and if they were in any other division, within striking distance of 1st place. Instead they're a distant 8 games back.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dammit Cardinals

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Retail Slave posted:

I was still in elementary school when this happened, but I yearn for a time when the Yankees will again be this hilariously bad.

Looking at stuff like that puts the amount of teeth gnashing over the last couple of seasons into perspective...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
After an early image that made the Twitter rounds was reported to be a, I don't know, hoax or something, I decided today to look up the real ASG caps.

Look upon MLB's design aesthetics, ye Goons, and despair!

I guess they have to make special designs because that automatically generates additional revenue from merchandising, and they make them so hideous so that no team (or fan of licensed MLB gear, for that matter) will be tempted to simply use that ASG design for the rest of the year, which would eliminate or reduce revenue from the normal merchandise. It's brilliant, in a sick and twisted way.

Also... this past month was the wettest June in St. Louis history, yet rain only made a minor impact in the schedule. That's pretty good, considering the Cardinals don't play in a dome.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Toronto and Oakland's run differential versus W-L. :stare: Especially Oakland's, Toronto is but a game out of first but the As, ouch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kalensc posted:

Toronto and Oakland's run differential versus W-L. :stare: Especially Oakland's, Toronto is but a game out of first but the As, ouch.

It turns out when you have the worst bullpen in the league you will lose a lot of 1 run games!

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Goddamn the Astros pitching has been magnificent against the Royals so far.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It was two games with the Astros two best pitchers against the Royals two worst pitchers, tonight should be interesting

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

It was two games with the Astros two best pitchers against the Royals two worst pitchers, tonight should be interesting

They probably should send Velazquez back down to work out his control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

They probably should send Velazquez back down to work out his control

And replace him with who? They're already going to have to lean on Dan Strailey to plug up the hole in the rotation after Oberholtzer got himself sent to timeout

Velasquez might be sent down once Feldman is off the DL but not until then I imagine

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tarlibone posted:

After an early image that made the Twitter rounds was reported to be a, I don't know, hoax or something, I decided today to look up the real ASG caps.

Look upon MLB's design aesthetics, ye Goons, and despair!

I guess they have to make special designs because that automatically generates additional revenue from merchandising, and they make them so hideous so that no team (or fan of licensed MLB gear, for that matter) will be tempted to simply use that ASG design for the rest of the year, which would eliminate or reduce revenue from the normal merchandise. It's brilliant, in a sick and twisted way.

Also... this past month was the wettest June in St. Louis history, yet rain only made a minor impact in the schedule. That's pretty good, considering the Cardinals don't play in a dome.

I actually kind of like these? This is the thing they started doing where all the caps borrow some design element from the host team, right?

This is much better than putting a dumb star on the hat or altering the team logos, anyway.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 1, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think the mocked-up designs where the stripes ran all the way around the cap looked a lot better.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's only been 14 games, but after returning to the majors after his month-long reign of terror in the PCL, Rougned Odor is slashing .391/.453/.587 for a cool 187 wRC+, with pretty good defense and baserunning to boot. That stretch of games has included facing Kershaw, Greinke, Rodon, and Sonny Gray.

The only conclusion I can draw is that it was actually one of the other Rougned Odors who began the year with the Rangers and nobody noticed until midway through May

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariner fans, in case you weren't feeling hopeless enough, the M's will have to play like the St. Louis Cardinals did for the 1st half (i.e. a .671 winning percentage) in order to get above 85 wins for the rest of the season.

See you next year, playoff hopes :smith:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's only been 14 games, but after returning to the majors after his month-long reign of terror in the PCL, Rougned Odor is slashing .391/.453/.587 for a cool 187 wRC+, with pretty good defense and baserunning to boot. That stretch of games has included facing Kershaw, Greinke, Rodon, and Sonny Gray.

The only conclusion I can draw is that it was actually one of the other Rougned Odors who began the year with the Rangers and nobody noticed until midway through May

Siblings with the same name is the new market inefficiency.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
N: Pick Porcello contract is looking seriously stupid right now.
V: :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Did that contract ever look like anything else?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Odor has a totally sustainable .390 BABIP since coming back

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Pirates hat looks the best per usual

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

It turns out when you have the worst bullpen in the league you will lose a lot of 1 run games!

This isn't even from this year but it seems so appropriate...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Mariner fans, in case you weren't feeling hopeless enough, the M's will have to play like the St. Louis Cardinals did for the 1st half (i.e. a .671 winning percentage) in order to get above 85 wins for the rest of the season.

I stopped checking the standings daily weeks ago.
I figure they have at least one "get back to or close to .500 before losing 7 straight games" stretch in them just to taunt me, but yeah. This season is a mess.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

To be fair, it looked stupid from the moment it was signed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

gently caress.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Salvor_Hardin posted:

but he has to be good since he's not 30+ years old

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

seiferguy posted:

Gotta sting a little bit more if Texas finishes with more wins

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Why won't Mike Scioscia loving go away

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Man those All Star hats are gross.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

I actually kind of like these? This is the thing they started doing where all the caps borrow some design element from the host team, right?

This is much better than putting a dumb star on the hat or altering the team logos, anyway.

Well, last year (I think) the whole thing was emulating the style of one particular hat worn years ago by the host team. Hence the white panel up front. But the Reds' caps, at least their current ones, don't look like this. It looks to me like they started with last year's caps and added stripes (and shading the white panel gray for the AL caps).

I'm guessing the horizontal stripes are an allusion to a vintage Reds cap. Hell, even the Cardinals had a pillbox hat once, and it had horizontal stripes. (The 1976 road cap, for those interested.)

It's not horrible, I guess, but I'm not a fan. I'd just assumed see them in their regular caps. Hell, I don't think it'd be a terrible idea for a special ASG uniform set. One for the National League, and one for the American League. Model the NL uniform on the host city's uniform, and model the AL uniform on, say, the last host team's uniform. If MLB is so serious about making this game mean something, which is absurd but that's where we are, then give the all stars a uniform.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Intruder posted:

Odor has a totally sustainable .390 BABIP since coming back

I never said it was sustainable, it's obviously not. He still loving owns and it's a huge relief to see him back on track after a miserable start to the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

seiferguy posted:

At this point I'm just waiting for the A's to go on their annual tear and allow the M's to reclaim their rightful home in last place.

Why can't we have nice things :sigh:

• Locked thread