Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Come on, you can't mention the Braves and patriotism without this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's more like planned obsolescence when it comes to the Marlins making garbage trades.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Dubious posted:

:siren: sano coming, all hail strikeouts

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

So are the Twins just promoting everyone on the hopes maybe someone can turn the franchise around or do they honestly think the jump from AA to the MLB is doable for every prospect? It's getting depressing watching all these guys get wrecked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

3DHouseofBeef posted:

So are the Twins just promoting everyone on the hopes maybe someone can turn the franchise around or do they honestly think the jump from AA to the MLB is doable for every prospect? It's getting depressing watching all these guys get wrecked.
I have a feeling they would not be doing this had they not overperformed so far this year

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Cubs and Mets have played 19 innings the past two games (one is still going) and have scored a grand total of one combined run.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Yankees have outrighted Esmil Rogers twice now this season, and yet it is still not enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Please cite your "all these guys" because Buxton is the only one they called up from AA this year. Vargas was called up from AA last year and mashed. Hitting prospects skipping (or barely spending time in) AAA isn't really that uncommon, a lot of people think that there's not a whole lot for them to learn in AAA.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Please cite your "all these guys" because Buxton is the only one they called up from AA this year. Vargas was called up from AA last year and mashed. Hitting prospects skipping (or barely spending time in) AAA isn't really that uncommon, a lot of people think that there's not a whole lot for them to learn in AAA.

I guess I didn't mean just this year, but over the past few years. It just seems like the team's call-ups mostly have A-AA experience with maybe a splash of AAA before they hit the majors and a lot of them haven't been performing that well; keeping in mind the SSS caveat is always in effect.

edit: The more I think about it, the more I might be conflating the entire pool of young players the team has had--whether or not they were drafted or another acquisition of some kind.

3DHouseofBeef fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 2, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Payday, everybody!

This will never not amuse me.

Yes, I know, deferred money blah blah blah etc but it's still hilarious.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is still funny to pay the baseballman, long after he has played his last baseball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Mets should probably consider scoring runs.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
The Tigers need to release Joba and Gorzellany. They are both awful and can not get batters out. There are dudes in the minors they can plug in and try, they can not be worse right now. And if they had any kind of depth, Castellanos needs some time in the minors. He looks atrocious. He made a little bit of progression defensively and took, I don't know, 10 steps back offensively.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
20 consecutive scoreless innings for the lineup of the New York Metropolitans

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Storm posted:

The Tigers need to release Joba and Gorzellany. They are both awful and can not get batters out. There are dudes in the minors they can plug in and try, they can not be worse right now. And if they had any kind of depth, Castellanos needs some time in the minors. He looks atrocious. He made a little bit of progression defensively and took, I don't know, 10 steps back offensively.

Also Gose is still trash at everything but catching things.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

MassaShowtime posted:

Also Gose is still trash at everything but catching things.

There's basically no reason to let Rajai start almost every game in CF (.725 OPS vs. RHP) and let Gose be a pinch runner right now but eh what do I know.

And also flip Kinser and Iglesias in the lineup, a dude with a .333 OBP (and no power) should not be your #2 hitter while a dude with a .374 OBP is hitting 9th (with no power.)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Storm posted:

Agreed.

Storm posted:

There's basically no reason to let Rajai start almost every game in CF (.725 OPS vs. RHP) and let Gose be a pinch runner right now but eh what do I know.

And also flip Kinser and Iglesias in the lineup, a dude with a .333 OBP (and no power) should not be your #2 hitter while a dude with a .374 OBP is hitting 9th (with no power.)

Also fire Ausmus, he gets out-managed by guys like Robin Ventura and Ned Yost regularly.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Rand alPaul posted:

Also fire Ausmus, he gets out-managed by guys like Robin Ventura

Let's not take things too far

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Justin Smoak hit a pair of home runs today that measured 446 feet and 473 feet long

All hail the magical elixir of Citoball

Retail Slave posted:

This will never not amuse me.

Yes, I know, deferred money blah blah blah etc but it's still hilarious.
The best thing is the fact that the payments started more than nine years after Bonilla retired.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 2, 2015

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Justin Smoak hit a pair of home runs today that measured 446 feet and 473 feet long

All hail the magical elixir of Citoball

The best thing is the fact that the payments started more than nine years after Bonilla retired.

I'm still glad he's gone, Lomo is a much cooler dude and generally better player :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a rowdy mullet posted:

I'm still glad he's gone, Lomo is a much cooler dude and generally better player :colbert:

LoMo has a 70 grade twitter tool for sure

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Justin Smoak is really cool and is the Jays like 7th or 8th best hitter.

The Jays rule so hard this year.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

angrygodofjebus posted:

Let's not take things too far

It's true though, he's done it twice this year. Just walk whoever is hitting in front of the scrub and win the ball game.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Give Bonilla a glove and bat. As long as you're paying him, he might be able to help the offense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N:
Dodgers
:homebrew:
International prospects

V: Sky is still blue. Water is wet. They've already spent over $18M. I'm curious to see if anyone matches them in terms of completely blowing up their Int'l money or if the other teams that go over still just go over a little and stop there like the Cubs did a couple years ago.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/134058394/clubs-sign-top-july-2-international-prospects

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Salvor_Hardin posted:

N: Pick Porcello contract is looking seriously stupid right now.
V: :(
Never thought I'd see the return of the John Lackey Contract so soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

8. Wander Javier, SS, Dominican Republic - Twins ($4,000,000)

:stare:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the cardinals getting the 11th best guy for absolutely no money is the most cardinals thing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A small market team like the Cardinals can always use the help if it be cheaper players or competitive balance picks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Giants signed that guy who made the Batmobile

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Harlock posted:

A small market team like the Cardinals can always use the help if it be cheaper players or competitive balance picks
can't argue with this

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

8. Wander Javier, SS, Dominican Republic - Twins ($4,000,000)

:stare:

They were tied to him for a while. When they want a player, they want him, I guess.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

the cardinals getting the 11th best guy for absolutely no money is the most cardinals thing

Baseball America sees him as the 10th best prospect in the pool, so they did even better by those rankings.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How does the Mets starting rotation just not want to murder the position players? Matz is the best mets hitter this past like week or so.

God I hate this team.

Can we bring back the suicide thread?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

They were tied to him for a while. When they want a player, they want him, I guess.

Yeah, I'm just shocked they spent that much on a player, that's the most since they signed Sano.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, I'm just shocked they spent that much on a player, that's the most since they signed Sano.

It especially seems weird after last year when Rob Antony said something to the effect of they just never know what's going to happen with these players and teams just go throw a lot of money at them. That may have been more geared toward Cubans, though. I can't find the exact quote.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

George Springer likely headed to the DL after being hit in the game by Volquez last night

:(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Do not form opinions about which 16 year olds your team should have signed

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

If you want top level international talent that's the kind of money you have to spend because the current system encourages big market teams to spend as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

zakharov posted:

Do not form opinions about which 16 year olds your team should have signed

:agreed:

• Locked thread