Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah that sounds cool but it's not really what I was looking for but it's still worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You are coming across as incredibly insecure. If you haven't read the whole book - so that you see how this passage slots into the work as a whole - you are doing yourself a disservice. Get some context.

Do you like hurting people?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mycot posted:

Do you like hurting people?

Sorry, this isn't the Voight-Kampff testing thread, that's in another forum.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ohhh that does sound pretty cool and I might try it... Although what I really want is a TRPG that is on the same "Real Robot" genre and related mechanics as Armored Core, Front Mission or hell, even Mechwarrior, although ever since Mekton (which was better played for Super Robot genre games any way) there weren't many of those.

This might still be a little far afield but look up Lunar Reckoning 69. It's not complete as far as I know but it's been in a relatively playable form for a good while.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any traditional fantasy/D&D-type games that are specifically designed for or would work well with just 2 players+a DM? I know pretty much every edition of D&D ever has assumed 4 to 5 players, and I'd like something with a bit more crunch than Dungeon World.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't sure if this belonged in Chat or Grogstxt.

https://medium.com/kickstarter/total-party-kill-3898fb82b5fb

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Siivola posted:

Racing is just as simple to gamify as violence, and I'd argue it also lends itself to better models of both reality and fiction. Tradgame violence hardly ever resembles the action movie spectacle, and many video games struggle as well.

This is my bimonthly rant against violence in games.

It's just a big loving rut we've been stuck in since Gary wrote that stupid wargame supplement. A bunch of dudes wander deep into a perilous dungeon, risking their lives for treasure, which is cool and all, but every sodding game since has followed the formula of "A bunch of dudes [delve/stumble/are drawn] deep into [danger], risking their lives for [a commodity or goal]." And I just realized the common denominator here isn't violence, it's that lives are at stake. You just can't have drama without the highest stakes am I right? Violence is the easiest solution because it's all about them lives at stake.

And even that's been hosed up now that we're all too cynical to believe the protagonist would ever die, or at least not get better. Now it's other people's lives that are actually on the line, because that's the easiest way to keep stakes high while making sure the game won't grind to halt at failure and we can sell the next part of the adventure path to these guys.

True about racing, though I would say that it shares about as much commonality with reality as game violence does. I spend most racing games doing escalating bits of cars violence to my opponents as I run them into divides and use their cars to help get me around corners.

I really like the idea of gaming things other than violence. Where it hits the snag as I said was in being fun first of all, and second in not trivializing it. I have seen long screeds written about gaming companies doing it the wrong way, with Pathfinder and its numbers based romance in their adventure paths sticking out in my mind. People find non violent activities to be important, and so modeling it requires at least as much care as does modeling violence, but what is the right way to do that? Bioware style dialog trees are a new fun way to play a choose your own adventure, limited by needing to funnel you through the same set pieces regardless of your choices. Free-form is what people have been doing for forever when it comes to social interaction, and it works except when it doesn't, but it really isn't part of the game, it relies on the player and the game-master to be on the same page to get any results worth getting, and also necessitates player skill over all else. Skill rules tend toward a dry treatment of such things, the most mechanically consistent and by far most boring approach. Finally there are games like Fate where everything is combat, or more specifically, combat is the same as everything else, and here we hit the problem of whether everything should be modeled in the same way as combat. Does that trivialize violence or does it de-emphasize it as the only solution? I don't have answers, but violence, while a fun part of gaming, shouldn't be the end all of what it consists.

Drama. Have we stripped all the drama from violence? I cant remember the last time an action movie had me tense about the fate of the hero or his or her loved one. Death in video games means a short bit of backtracking and in an RPG it generally means a resurection or a new character being rolled. I don't mean games should be all about PKing, but are we averse to drama as a society? Is that why we stick to no consequences violence and avoid political drama or relationship drama, is it all too awkward for us to engage with? Alternatively, is this just a symptom of escapist entertainment, not to engaged with beyond how it makes us feel in the moment and discarded at a whim as we get back to our lives?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 31, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The idea that ALL MEDIA FOREVER involves a lot of violence because of crazy ol' Gygax and his wargames is pretty silly at best. Violence in a fictional setting can be and is pretty exciting - as the entire history of human beings telling stories goes. Before video games there were TV shows which were fine with using violence or the threat thereof to raise the stakes. Before that there were movies - hell, in 1903 The Great Train Robbery, grainy black and white with no sound, had an evil outlaw draw his gun up to shoot the audience. Are we going to claim books never had violence? That war has never been glorified in stories? How many mythological characters don't kill a dude? How many stories of heroism don't involve violence?

This isn't to say all games forever need to be about peoples' lives in danger, but to rail that it happens at all is kinda out there.

The problem with violence in tabletop games is that it's so often boring. But that's because for plenty of tabletop games everything is. It's all cold, passionless, and clinical. That's a hard one to fix when the only real conflict resolution that seems to exist is rolling some dice, but the neverending push for "immersive" games that abandon emotion for trying to be as "realistic" as possible sure as hell doesn't help. What sucks out the fun of throwing a fireball faster then using that space to explain the exact dimensions of it and telling players to bring out a ruler?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

remusclaw posted:

True about racing, though I would say that it shares about as much commonality with reality as game violence does. I spend most racing games doing escalating bits of cars violence to my opponents as I run them into divides and use their cars to help get me around corners.

I really like the idea of gaming things other than violence. Where it hits the snag as I said was in being fun first of all, and second in not trivializing it. I have seen long screeds written about gaming companies doing it the wrong way, with Pathfinder and its numbers based romance in their adventure paths sticking out in my mind. People find non violent activities to be important, and so modeling it requires at least as much care as does modeling violence, but what is the right way to do that? Bioware style dialog trees are a new fun way to play a choose your own adventure, limited by needing to funnel you through the same set pieces regardless of your choices. Free-form is what people have been doing for forever when it comes to social interaction, and it works except when it doesn't, but it really isn't part of the game, it relies on the player and the game-master to be on the same page to get any results worth getting, and also necessitates player skill over all else. Skill rules tend toward a dry treatment of such things, the most mechanically consistent and by far most boring approach. Finally there are games like Fate where everything is combat, or more specifically, combat is the same as everything else, and here we hit the problem of whether everything should be modeled in the same way as combat. Does that trivialize violence or does it de-emphasize it as the only solution? I don't have answers, but violence, while a fun part of gaming, shouldn't be the end all of what it consists.

Drama. Have we stripped all the drama from violence? I cant remember the last time an action movie had me tense about the fate of the hero or his or her loved one. Death in video games means a short bit of backtracking and in an RPG it generally means a resurection or a new character being rolled. I don't mean games should be all about PKing, but are we averse to drama as a society? Is that why we stick to no consequences violence and avoid political drama or relationship drama, is it all too awkward for us to engage with? Alternatively, is this just a symptom of escapist entertainment, not to engaged with beyond how it makes us feel in the moment and discarded at a whim as we get back to our lives?

Nah, we just like blowing poo poo up sometimes and like engaging works other times. poo poo don't always have to be one way or the other. If you want a thought engaging thing, seek an indie title. Why? Because big titles seek the lowest common denominator since that maximizes profit. That and the average person is just looking for a diversion.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

The idea that ALL MEDIA FOREVER involves a lot of violence because of crazy ol' Gygax and his wargames is pretty silly at best. Violence in a fictional setting can be and is pretty exciting - as the entire history of human beings telling stories goes. Before video games there were TV shows which were fine with using violence or the threat thereof to raise the stakes. Before that there were movies - hell, in 1903 The Great Train Robbery, grainy black and white with no sound, had an evil outlaw draw his gun up to shoot the audience. Are we going to claim books never had violence? That war has never been glorified in stories? How many mythological characters don't kill a dude? How many stories of heroism don't involve violence?

This isn't to say all games forever need to be about peoples' lives in danger, but to rail that it happens at all is kinda out there.

The problem with violence in tabletop games is that it's so often boring. But that's because for plenty of tabletop games everything is. It's all cold, passionless, and clinical. That's a hard one to fix when the only real conflict resolution that seems to exist is rolling some dice, but the neverending push for "immersive" games that abandon emotion for trying to be as "realistic" as possible sure as hell doesn't help. What sucks out the fun of throwing a fireball faster then using that space to explain the exact dimensions of it and telling players to bring out a ruler?

I honestly don't blame anything on Gygax, he just published a game before other people did. His big win was in being first. That game, OD&D is neither good in its rules, writing, or presentation, but it gets a pass because it is first. Violence is the history of human kind, it is inherently dramatic because it is, by the traditional view of history, the reason for why things change. Escapism takes violence and removes its impact, making it all sound and fury signifying nothing. But gently caress, escapism is fun and we all need it sometimes, I just want to see some non violent escapism gamed in a fun way. Where is His Girl Friday the rpg, or The West Wing?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 31, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ProfessorCirno posted:

If nothing else these violent board games are probably a nicer alternative to public hangings and gladiator matches.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

dwarf74 posted:

Wasn't sure if this belonged in Chat or Grogstxt.

https://medium.com/kickstarter/total-party-kill-3898fb82b5fb

quote:

“But if the game’s not hard, it’s not fun, and the rewards are cheapened.”
Nah, games don't have to be "hard" to be fun, least of all games that can tell a good story.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mycot posted:

If nothing else these violent board games are probably a nicer alternative to public hangings

Agreed.

quote:

gladiator matches

loving no.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Gonna write an Aaron Sorkin based TTRPG, except everyone is dragon people and robots and poo poo.

Nice roll with your witty remark. +2 power bonus to diplomacy with your ex-girlfriend/producer until the end of the encounter. Ooh, scathing take down. You have advantage against millenials and kobolds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guilty Spork posted:

Nah, games don't have to be "hard" to be fun, least of all games that can tell a good story.

Especially because the average gamer's definition of hard tends to be "didn't look around the room 50 times? You die! No Save. gently caress you, Tom!"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Gonna write an Aaron Sorkin based TTRPG, except everyone is dragon people and robots and poo poo.

Nice roll with your witty remark. +2 power bonus to diplomacy with your ex-girlfriend/producer until the end of the encounter. Ooh, scathing take down. You have advantage against millenials and kobolds.

I know you're joking, but applying D20 language kills it for me. This of course hits the problem, not insurmountable I hope, of how do you make it fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
For a clever little take on violence in society, read The Seventh Victim by Robert Sheckley. You won't be disappointed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edit: Oh poo poo you guys posted a whole page when I was writing this thing.

paradoxGentleman posted:

That being said, that is not exactly true. Off the top of my head, I can think of no less than three games that don't necessarily expect your character to lose life and limb, and I am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject here.

Monsterhearts, Monsters and Other Childish Things and Chuubo again, in case you were curious.
There are actually a bunch of others, you're right. Golden Sky Stories got mentioned too, there's Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, and there's a couple of other expressly nonviolent games. And there's also a handful of games that have explicit rules for escalating the violence, which means their default stakes are somewhere below "rip its spine out or be de-spined". Fate, Burning Wheel derivatives and, hilariously enough, old-school D&D spring to mind.

It's nice to have these things, yes. And I'm a big dumb for not actually playing any of these games. (Especially since I even own a bunch.)

Maybe the real windmill that I'm trying to tilt at is how few things characters really have that make an actual game difference, aside from their hit points. To manage, y'know? Used to be a fighter had a whole drat castle to run, and his cleric buddy had a congregation, and that meant something because if you didn't take care of them when the GM sent the orcs into town, you'd have to hire people to go into that dungeon you found. Even money meant something because you'd have to spend it on people to get poo poo done.

Or something, I don't actually have a clue how old-rear end D&D worked. But you get what I'm getting at, right?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

mycot posted:

If nothing else these violent board games are probably a nicer alternative to public hangings and gladiator matches.

Little Wars, by H.G. Wells, pacifist and wargamer posted:

And if I might for a moment trumpet! How much better is this amiable miniature than the Real Thing! Here is a homeopathic remedy for the imaginative strategist. Here is the premeditation, the thrill, the strain of accumulating victory or disaster—and no smashed nor sanguinary bodies, no shattered fine buildings nor devastated country sides, no petty cruelties, none of that awful universal boredom and embitterment, that tiresome delay or stoppage or embarrassment of every gracious, bold, sweet, and charming thing, that we who are old enough to remember a real modern war know to be the reality of belligerence...My game is just as good as their game, and saner by reason of its size.

So...to what extent can we say that applies to TTRPGs along the D&D line, and what aspects make it not apply, and would those problematic aspects be exclusive to D&D patterned games or are they endemic to other genres and forms? I expect a 500 word theme on this by the end of next :commissar:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 31, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Agreed.

loving no.

Okay you're right, gladiators own.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

mycot posted:

Okay you're right, gladiators own.

And they too were playing a game of violence that only rarely truly resembled the real thing. They were athletes who endorsed products, made stacks of money, fought mostly to first blood, and got better medical care than the masses. Death matches being the rare and heavily promoted exception to the rule.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

remusclaw posted:

And they too were playing a game of violence that only rarely truly resembled the real thing. They were athletes who endorsed products, made stacks of money, fought mostly to first blood, and got better medical care than the masses. Death matches being the rare and heavily promoted exception to the rule.

I knew all of that, but hitting each other with swords man. That's kinda violent. Confrontational, even.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Siivola posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo you guys posted a whole page when I was writing this thing.

There are actually a bunch of others, you're right. Golden Sky Stories got mentioned too, there's Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, and there's a couple of other expressly nonviolent games. And there's also a handful of games that have explicit rules for escalating the violence, which means their default stakes are somewhere below "rip its spine out or be de-spined". Fate, Burning Wheel derivatives and, hilariously enough, old-school D&D spring to mind.

It's nice to have these things, yes. And I'm a big dumb for not actually playing any of these games. (Especially since I even own a bunch.)

Maybe the real windmill that I'm trying to tilt at is how few things characters really have that make an actual game difference, aside from their hit points. To manage, y'know? Used to be a fighter had a whole drat castle to run, and his cleric buddy had a congregation, and that meant something because if you didn't take care of them when the GM sent the orcs into town, you'd have to hire people to go into that dungeon you found. Even money meant something because you'd have to spend it on people to get poo poo done.

Or something, I don't actually have a clue how old-rear end D&D worked. But you get what I'm getting at, right?

Old rear end D&D worked however your local group played it. Only Gygax and friends ever played like Gygax and friends because the game was poorly written to the point where everyone pretty much built their own game out of the cool ideas the text seemed to imply. This kind of thing ultimately resulted in things like Arduin and Runequest.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The idea that ALL MEDIA FOREVER involves a lot of violence because of crazy ol' Gygax and his wargames is pretty silly at best.
I don't want to say Gygax ruined ALL MEDIA FOREVER (although man I could use a little less violence in my ALL MEDIA FOREVER too) but considering how the next big RPG thing going Statesways seems to be D&D: German Engineer Edition and nobody bats an eye, his ghost kinda haunts the hobby pretty bad. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

remusclaw posted:

MMA with swords.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't want to say Miyamoto ruined ALL MEDIA FOREVER (although man I could use a little less platform jumping in my ALL MEDIA FOREVER too) but considering how the next big Nintendo game going Statesways seems to be Mario: Maker Edition and nobody bats an eye, his ghost kinda haunts the hobby pretty bad. :v:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Was gladiatorial combat a work or shoot?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

I don't want to say Miyamoto ruined ALL MEDIA FOREVER (although man I could use a little less platform jumping in my ALL MEDIA FOREVER too) but considering how the next big Nintendo game going Statesways seems to be Mario: Maker Edition and nobody bats an eye, his ghost kinda haunts the hobby pretty bad. :v:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

Probably both at various times. Story was Pro Wrestling was a shoot once upon a time, but money talks and drama sells more than hour long headlocks.

E: Sports are still drama and not escapism, you can tell because of how seriously people take it, and how often it leads to real life violence.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PublicOpinion posted:

Worked Shoot, obviously.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there any traditional fantasy/D&D-type games that are specifically designed for or would work well with just 2 players+a DM? I know pretty much every edition of D&D ever has assumed 4 to 5 players, and I'd like something with a bit more crunch than Dungeon World.

Kevin Crawford's Scarlet Heroes is an OSR hack specifically designed to run a trad fantasy RPG with only 1 player and 1 GM, and it prob wouldn't be difficult to run it 2-player with some modification.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

Kevin Crawford's Scarlet Heroes is an OSR hack specifically designed to run a trad fantasy RPG with only 1 player and 1 GM, and it prob wouldn't be difficult to run it 2-player with some modification.

IIRC, he even has rules for including more players in the book.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
A bit belatedly to the E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy chat, a friend of mine really, really loved that game--loved the way it played, loved the world and story, all of it. He found out it was based on an RPG (of sorts) and contacted the company to offer to translate it, for free. (He's Quebecois and fluent in French) They refused--it's apparently their own personal homebrew project that's been ongoing forever and they just occasionally make games for it, but don't want the full thing out there for people (especially foreigners) to get their dirty fingers all over and go making demands on how their world would develop.

So it's...a thing. It's a little bit like STALKER in being a weird gaming artifact from a company that works outside the usual game development cultures we encounter but STALKER is dear to my heart and EYE was something I could never finish.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
STALKER is legit great (and the tabletop rpg based on Roadside Picnic is also great)

Sorry EYE Divine Cybermancy fans, it's just an amazingly boring game

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

PublicOpinion posted:

Historically? Both, more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
August here!

• Locked thread