Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
I want to thank roleplaying for saving my life.

Hokey, I know. But it's true. Maybe not in the sense of 'helping me not die', but it certainly allowed me to realize what I was. And helped me realize that the way I was holding back was doing nothing but destroying me.

I'm trans. I know, shocker, it's a well-kept secret. But I didn't know, for a very long time. I'd been saying it since I was at least fifteen, but I missed it despite all kinds of little hints. I had this idea in my head - planted, perhaps unfortunately, by a person Ettin gamed with like ten years ago - that my idea of what being a woman was...well, wasn't valid. Oversexualized, ignoring extant realities, that sort of thing.

It was about...four years ago, now? That I started running a 4e campaign. It wasn't anything fancy, I just wanted to play D&D with guns, and with human history and gods and that sort of thing - traditional campaign settings didn't really appeal to me. I told some people in a chat PixelScum lurks in to this day, and one of the players - ironically the biggest problem - got five people together in a jiffy. And for over a year afterward, I ran my alt-history D&D setting, making a lot of awkward mistakes along the way, constantly feeling like I was doing something wrong.

And part of that? By playing female NPCs.

I was scared, constantly scared, that people would find me weird for these female NPCs. Just two, to start, the 'mission control'. Then later more, and more, increasingly...charged, each time, with the encouragement of a couple of my players. Of course...the most fun, most thematic, smoothest adventure where everything finally clicked...well, those were the two when I was playing a whip-wielding enchantress cultist with delusions of grandeur, and a scheming lesbian duchess pulling the strings to frame the party for murder.

It was...nice. I mean, roleplaying girls in general was nice, but despite my terror at being seen as weird or sexual or anything like that, people liked it when I pushed my interests into the game. Turns out that when you have passion for what you're playing, you do better at GMing. Who knew? Despite all those holy grails - 'don't split the party', 'don't use GMPCs or any NPC more powerful than a porter, unless they're a villain' and especially 'no romance or sex ever' - I broke them, and things were all the better for it.

Better for me playing girls.

It was around the tailend of the campaign that I started getting really worried about this last villain - fantasy GLaDOS, essentially. Now, I loving worship GLaDOS, she's one of my big inspirations and all, and I kind of...love how she talks and does things. She's so...controlling, teasing, sensual, perfect. So naturally, I worry that this will make things weird, and I ask my one friend if it sounded weird.

And you know? He had no idea.

It was around this time it all started to fall together. It was...so much easier to be a girl. So much easier to be, to play, to act...to make things feel good for me and others. People liked me more, enjoyed me more, when I wasn't trying to force myself into the awkward, non-sexual adorkable cute boy person mold. When I was myself, even if myself was a bit charged. I applied my lessons to future roleplaying sessions, which all instantly went better the moment I was just myself, just what I wanted, without fear.

People love me for it, and told me, showed me what I was. And since then, I haven't looked back. :h:

It's been a while, but I'm starting a new campaign set in the same universe, and doubling down on the Sapphic Factor. I hope that people around here like reading about it. It means a lot to me, and the friends I've made here (and the wife! :h:) mean so much. I'd love to share some of the stuff that's in my head with everyone, okay?

So, Traditional Games, how has roleplaying changed your life? :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm not reading that post and I'm not reading the 4 page OP of your game even though I wanna play 13th age.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

roleplaying did not save my life, op

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not sure of this is the right place, but I've been working on a Fallout game set in London. I've got a ruleset and some setting ideas, but I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm not sure of this is the right place, but I've been working on a Fallout game set in London. I've got a ruleset and some setting ideas, but I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

My Fallout knowledge is a little fuzzy right now, but isn't Europe the Commonwealth? You could do a lot of playing around with the theme that they have so much technological expertise as to make full-on cyborgs, among other things. Possibly even dink around with some Old World Blues-type setting fluff.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Um. Fallout is basically about the 1980s and the death of the idealism of the 1950s. So you'd want to have lots of references to the British 1950s (and sci-fi 50s like Dan Dare) and build around that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Um. Fallout is basically about the 1980s and the death of the idealism of the 1950s. So you'd want to have lots of references to the British 1950s (and sci-fi 50s like Dan Dare) and build around that.

Just ask yourself "What would League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1950 would like"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Just ask yourself "What would League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1950 would like"

They already published this, mi ami.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah Black Dossier forgot about it

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Queen Fiona posted:

Certainly not anything of the same magnitude as what you posted, but roleplaying helped me figure out that, while I didn't have a lot of strong opinions about the sort of body I was in, I was very cheesed off at how hard it was to try other options.

So, transhumanist RP. Is there any of it that isn't "shooting evil robots in a grim meathook future"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

inklesspen posted:

Certainly not anything of the same magnitude as what you posted, but roleplaying helped me figure out that, while I didn't have a lot of strong opinions about the sort of body I was in, I was very cheesed off at how hard it was to try other options.

So, transhumanist RP. Is there any of it that isn't "shooting evil robots in a grim meathook future"?

Mage: the Awakening.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

inklesspen posted:

FreeMarket holds the distinction of being both the most genuinely transhumanist RPG I've ever seen, and the most optimistic. It's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom set in a wildly overcrowded O'Neill Cylinder, with a population of functionally immortal anarchists overseen by a benevolent but non-sapient AI that ensures an equitable distribution of resources. The PCs are members of an ad hoc group of people who've come together to do something cool and interesting that they're all jazzed about, both as an act of self-actualization and a way to participate in FreeMarket's literal reputation economy, where being well-liked and making or doing things the community appreciates leads to having more resources allocated to you by the AI so you can do bigger and better things.

As a game, it's very strange, and I won't even attempt to summarize its mechanics other than to say that it's diceless and involves a lot of cards and tokens. It would probably play pretty well on Roll20 if someone set up the assets for it, come to think of it.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Queen Fiona posted:

I want to thank roleplaying for saving my life.

Hokey, I know. But it's true. Maybe not in the sense of 'helping me not die', but it certainly allowed me to realize what I was. And helped me realize that the way I was holding back was doing nothing but destroying me.

I'm trans. I know, shocker, it's a well-kept secret. But I didn't know, for a very long time. I'd been saying it since I was at least fifteen, but I missed it despite all kinds of little hints. I had this idea in my head - planted, perhaps unfortunately, by a person Ettin gamed with like ten years ago - that my idea of what being a woman was...well, wasn't valid. Oversexualized, ignoring extant realities, that sort of thing.

It was about...four years ago, now? That I started running a 4e campaign. It wasn't anything fancy, I just wanted to play D&D with guns, and with human history and gods and that sort of thing - traditional campaign settings didn't really appeal to me. I told some people in a chat PixelScum lurks in to this day, and one of the players - ironically the biggest problem - got five people together in a jiffy. And for over a year afterward, I ran my alt-history D&D setting, making a lot of awkward mistakes along the way, constantly feeling like I was doing something wrong.

And part of that? By playing female NPCs.

I was scared, constantly scared, that people would find me weird for these female NPCs. Just two, to start, the 'mission control'. Then later more, and more, increasingly...charged, each time, with the encouragement of a couple of my players. Of course...the most fun, most thematic, smoothest adventure where everything finally clicked...well, those were the two when I was playing a whip-wielding enchantress cultist with delusions of grandeur, and a scheming lesbian duchess pulling the strings to frame the party for murder.

It was...nice. I mean, roleplaying girls in general was nice, but despite my terror at being seen as weird or sexual or anything like that, people liked it when I pushed my interests into the game. Turns out that when you have passion for what you're playing, you do better at GMing. Who knew? Despite all those holy grails - 'don't split the party', 'don't use GMPCs or any NPC more powerful than a porter, unless they're a villain' and especially 'no romance or sex ever' - I broke them, and things were all the better for it.

Better for me playing girls.

It was around the tailend of the campaign that I started getting really worried about this last villain - fantasy GLaDOS, essentially. Now, I loving worship GLaDOS, she's one of my big inspirations and all, and I kind of...love how she talks and does things. She's so...controlling, teasing, sensual, perfect. So naturally, I worry that this will make things weird, and I ask my one friend if it sounded weird.

And you know? He had no idea.

It was around this time it all started to fall together. It was...so much easier to be a girl. So much easier to be, to play, to act...to make things feel good for me and others. People liked me more, enjoyed me more, when I wasn't trying to force myself into the awkward, non-sexual adorkable cute boy person mold. When I was myself, even if myself was a bit charged. I applied my lessons to future roleplaying sessions, which all instantly went better the moment I was just myself, just what I wanted, without fear.

People love me for it, and told me, showed me what I was. And since then, I haven't looked back. :h:

It's been a while, but I'm starting a new campaign set in the same universe, and doubling down on the Sapphic Factor. I hope that people around here like reading about it. It means a lot to me, and the friends I've made here (and the wife! :h:) mean so much. I'd love to share some of the stuff that's in my head with everyone, okay?

Sweetieeeeeee. ♥♥♥

also roleplaying (elfgame and otherwise) gave me a safe environment to explore my ~budding~ queerness and lots of other feelings too but esp the queerness so i guess you could say that ROLEPLAYING MADE ME GAY AS HELL

Also also I've found like....I guess I feel kinda dorky for saying but a lot of my good, lasting friendships have come out of elfgames (and especially SA elfgames folks!), so there's that. ♥

inklesspen posted:

Was gonna say Freemarket, but Kestral beat me to it~

Joke answer: refluffed Lasers and Feelings

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm not too familiar with what the 1950s were like in the UK, so I don't know what the equivalent to the 1950s Cold War Futurism -> Attack of the Radioactive Killer Ants + Mad Max that the standard Fallout setting plays off of would be like. I assume that Fallout: London would be something more cramped and oppressive like Judge Dredd than the kind of wide open wastelands and drug addicted techno-barbarians that a normal Fallout game has.

For a UK Fallout game I'd have some sort of Mega-City in London ruled by a warlord tangentally related to the Old World nobility, kind of like Immortan Joe in Fury Road, which is trying to create a Re-United Kingdom through imperialist conquest in the rest of Britain. Something something decolonization, something-something faded empires, something-something Dark Ages Britain. Basically like Caesar's Legion, but cosplaying as a weird combination of medieval knights and redcoats instead of romans. Or you could set it immediately after the Mega-City tentatively reunited Great Britain and the Kingdom is now starting to collapse due to the North Ireland Campaign failing at the same time as the king dying.

Also, you may want to turn your Lockpick skill into a more general Mechanics or Repair skill, since that seems a little constrained compared to the other skills in usefulness. Depending on the scope of the game you may also want to have a Drive skill.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Oh yeah Black Dossier forgot about it

Everyone who reads western comics should be executed with .50 machinegun rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1e2TPGqZg

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

P-Pretend I said American!!!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

P-Pretend I said American!!!

League of Extraordinary Gentleman might be created by two men from England, but it's published in America through the American comics industry system and made for American sensibilities. Much like, for example, Peepo Choo is still a manga despite being made by an American. Do you want a cigarette while the firing squad prepares? :smaug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I asked it at the rear end end of the last thread so I'll put it in this one.

quote:

I know they've come up before but are there any RPG podcasts preferably of actual play sessions that are at the most PG? I listen to podcasts and audiobooks at work but it's a day care so I can't be listening to a podcast that uses words deemed "inappropriate."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I don't think this is a shitpost, Queen`Fiona. (Referring to the thread tag.) I think it's much better than anything some others have posted.

As for your question, well, I found all of you through TG...and, well, suffice it to say that I'm much more comfortable talking about...weird things. Like my sexuality. At least with you all. So...thanks. :unsmith:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 2, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So there I was, abandoned by my companions in disgust over my habit of drinking palm wine unwatered. Revolutionary war was at a setback. Alone, I faced the Queen of Riddles and her beloved Castellan of Puns. I had a dangerous game to play- go too long as a guest, and I would be a retainer, unable to justly fight them when the war reached this part of the country. Too blatant an assault upon honor, and I would have to fight my way out. I needed a truly heroic defeat that would give me time to get away.

By chance a bookseller came by, and destiny took a hand. In her wares were a PHB, DMG, and module S1. So the next day I asked the queen to define "game". Learnéd as she was, she offered a definition around competition, winning and losing. I then asked if she knew the game that was not a game. So she, intrigued, decided to tackle it head-on and prove its nonexistence.

At last, the party struggled to victory. But in the celebrations, I could see the gears turning. It was well that my habit of drinking unwatered interested her guards, for I danced out with her third-best horse two hours before the hungover chase began, and I told my companions as much.

So that's how D&D saved my life.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't think this is a shitpost, Queen`Fiona. I think it's much better than anything some others have posted.

As for your question, well, I found all of you through TG...and, well, suffice it to say that I'm much more comfortable talking about...weird things. Like my sexuality. At least with you all. So...thanks. :unsmith:

Let go of restraints, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Effectronica I do not know when you changed your avatar but I am impressed by your ~*~radical honesty~*~.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

Effectronica I do not know when you changed your avatar but I am impressed by your ~*~radical honesty~*~.

Definitely more up-front than others, that's a plus.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

Davin Valkri posted:

Definitely more up-front than others, that's a plus.

I'm just sad I don't know what I did to disturb you so, because your extremely bad posts justify doing it repeatedly. Meow.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've learnt through RPG's that grappling is the most complicated thing the human mind has ever conceived of.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

I've learnt through RPG's that grappling is the most complicated thing the human mind has ever conceived of.

It's pretty easy actually my man I've learned all there is to grappling by playing as Zangief and Iron Tager, reading Baki the Grappler, Tough and Teppu and practicing Jiu Jitsu with the lost Gracie sibling, Francisgleyson.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Effectronica posted:

I'm just sad I don't know what I did to disturb you so, because your extremely bad posts justify doing it repeatedly. Meow.
Disturb you? No, nononono, dear friend, you misunderstand. You see....my terrible posting is my gift to you, sweet Effectronica, a gift from the bottom of my heart, a gift only one of refined tastes -- one such as yourself -- would be able to properly appreciate.

*licks the screen, tongue lingering and tracing swirls over a Good Post* De~li~cious.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

Disturb you? No, nononono, dear friend, you misunderstand. You see....my terrible posting is my gift to you, sweet Effectronica, a gift from the bottom of my heart, a gift only one of refined tastes -- one such as yourself -- would be able to properly appreciate.

*licks the screen, tongue lingering and tracing swirls over a Good Post* De~li~cious.

Why don't you take this act to open mic night? It'd be sure to win them over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thread got fuckin weird in record time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ningyou posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ningyou posted:

Enough, worm! Your creepy and unsightly way of shitposting insults the heaven and earth! To prevent you from further sullying the land, my fist shall destroy your flesh and contaminate the very bone within! Messatsu!

Dec 26, 2012

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

plutonis stop talking

Anyways, to get things back on track...

Len posted:

I asked it at the rear end end of the last thread so I'll put it in this one.
I really wish I had something better to offer than LPD&D (which I'm pretty sure isn't worksafe) and Night Vale (which is good but not an elfgaming podcast :( )

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

plutonis stop talking

Please warn people before saying things like this, I nearly OD'd from irony poisoning.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ningyou posted:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please post less about posting, and do not use the Satsui no Hado on other posters. God bless.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ettin posted:

Please post less about posting, and do not use the Satsui no Hado on other posters. God bless.
This is "Satsui of Hado" for all the guy djinn out there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also please change the name of the thread to "TG July Chat Thread: Beware The Ides Of March, July-us Caesar!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is everyone's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons? Mine is 3.5th Edition because it has a lot of transhumanism, because you can be many transhumanist races such as Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Gnome, and Half-Orc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is everyone's favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons? Mine is 3.5th Edition because it has a lot of transhumanism, because you can be many transhumanist races such as Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Gnome, and Half-Orc.

Pathfinder is my favorite edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

• Locked thread