Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Favorite edition is a toss-up between B/X and 4e

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

For 13th Age, what is the escalation dice and what are icons?

The Escalation Die is a d6 that starts at 1 on the second round of combat, and increases by one each round. It's added to the PC's attack rolls (to represent the spinning-up in combat), and some abilities trigger when the die hits a certain point. Barbarians can rage for free when the Escalation Die is 3+, instead of it coming out of their daily allotment, for instance.

Icons are the major setting NPCs, who the characters have relationships with due to working for or against them. It's a way of having powerful important NPCs that don't make the PCs irrelevant, because the Icons are generally busy doing things like running the world to deal with smaller-level threats, which is what they need PCs for. They're also sources of gear, information, and threats for the characters.

It's a way of solving the Elminster problem; if Elminster is the most powerful wizard in the world and can snap his fingers and solve any problem, then why does he risk having the PCs do it? In 13th Age, it's because the Archmage (the Elminster equivalent) is too busy researching and casting spells that hold reality together or stop mad gods from steamrollering the world to deal with that poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you don't like 13th Age, you are my enemy. Please update your shipping charts accordingly.

Countblanc posted:

The palicos are basically the best thing to ever happen to gaming.
Also this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

are all the monthly TG chat threads like this

Unfortunately.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I am the recent owner of Sine Nomine's Silent Legions (:neckbeard:).

It is a great toolset for a game master or world builder.

It brings up an interesting question though that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. Can you run a sandbox horror game? Does the nature of a sandbox investigation/exploration game detract from horror?

To me a horror game hinges on the mystery first and foremost to draw players in and then end with a revelation as the payoff in the climax of the story. The house really is haunted by an undead cultist in the Call of Cthulhu scenario the Haunting. The investigators discover the true nature of the March family in The Wives of March or the Innsmouth taint is revealed in any Innsmouth game.

Mystery novels depend on a great deal of structure in their rising action to use foreshadowing and red herrings as clues or to keep you guessing to set up the emotional impact of the final revelation. The best Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Doyle novels have this structure in spades.

Sandbox games by their nature are pretty unstructured.

How can you reconcile the two?

I'm not any kind of expert on sandbox play, but doesn't the book explain how it's expected to be run?

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people around here enjoy Crawford's games; why aren't there any PbPs of them going on?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

For a limited definition of "work."

The definition being "an 8-hour stretch of tedium".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, he's the Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing, not MMO Management.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A bunch of developers on Google+ (including one who's a friend of mine) are posting pics of the old Torg d20 and saying "The Storm Is Coming".

I want a new edition of Torg so badly I'm willing to kill up to four of you guys to get it, but I also know it's probably not going to have a better system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

inklesspen posted:

Good news: They've licensed the Palladium® Megaversal™ System©.

I will loving cut you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DocBubonic posted:

I heard its going to be back using Savage Worlds rules.
Probably not.

Which sucks, because if I can't get a Fate-powered Torg (which I know I'll never get because God loving forbid we don't use the old system because), Savage Worlds would have been my second choice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hate that I live in a world where Rifts gets a fuckin' Savage Worlds version but Torg doesn't.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

Angry nerds are the angriest people. And I love it.

https://youtu.be/plUPJ0inN4c?t=490

Why is he burning his WarHams and electronics?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing about stuff like this that always gets me is how he thinks he's making some statement about how upset he is and how he was stabbed in the back by GW, but what he's really saying is "I am a jackass who takes this poo poo waaaaaaaay too seriously."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's important to bear in mind, too, that when SW first came out, the concept of a complete, single-book generic digest-sized RPG was unheard of. Especially at a $10 price point. I remember when it came out, a lot of people were saying "instead of buying a $50 D&D book, I bought five copies of Savage Worlds and gifted them to my group."

oriongates posted:

Also, despite repeated attempts it just does not work as a system for super-heroes.
Which is a shame, because Necessary Evil is a really fun setting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Never played Torg. Skimming the wikipedia page it seems to be a multigenere mashup where anything goes.

Sell me on it. Was the attraction the system or the setting?

The setting. The idea is that Earth is invaded by six alternate realities that "overwrite" parts of the world. A large chunk of North America has been replaced by a Lost World-style jungle full of dinosaurs and fanatic lizardpeople where technology flat-out does not work. England and northern Europe have been overwritten by a Generic Fantasy World. Northern Africa has been replaced with a 30's pulp reality run by an insane mad scientist Pharoh and his NaziEgyptian stormtroopers. Indonesia has been invaded by a 300-year-old Victorian world full of Hammer Horror monstrosities. The reality that invaded Japan backs up insane corporate culture with ninjas. And France has been replaced by the "Cyberpapacy", which is a mix of the 16th Century Catholic Church and a high-tech cyberpunk reality.

Ningyou posted:

its sole noteworthy quality was the game name sounding like a pokemon and you would be surprised how effective 'naming your game after a pokemon you just kind of made up who is also an anime cyberpope' is as a marketing strategy holy poo poo
You are completely wrong and I hate you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

My favorite game store thing is when they have dusty copies of 10-15 year old products still sitting on shelves somewhere still going for full MSRP. Sure thing dude, that copy of Everway hasn't sold yet but keep holding out hope.

There's a good not-local game store I go to that still has about half a bookshelf full of old 3.X products at full price.

Their inability just make a dollar bin for books that are just taking up space is pretty much the only point against them, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Cheers for the mecha/kaiju recommendations, I"ll take a look at Last Stand. A little surprised it was pulled from DTRPG and stuff. Wasn't it a successful goon kickstarter? I usually follow hilarious kickstarter drama but have no idea whats happened.
Mikan was basically harassed out of both the industry and the hobby.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A combination of:

1) Being a poster here (particularly in grognards.txt, although she stopped when FunHaver started).
2) Drawing the ire of a few Noted Industry Douchebags.
3) Trying to make non-traditional, inclusive gaming products.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, I may have just tanked a chance to work on the upcoming TORG reboot/reissue/whateverit'sgonnabe.

So there's that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:( :( :( I know that you really wanted this to happen - sorry to hear that.
Well, I don't know for certain. I'm just kind of assuming due to circumstances of the conversation I had with a friend who's working on the project where he asked me what genre I felt was underrepresented, and the topic of my feelings on the old system came up.

I don't even know if it was a chance to work on it in the first place; I'm just assuming because my friend keeps trying to get me working in the industry more.

I'm just assuming the worst due to my general pessimism.

e: Basically there's going to be some sort of announcement about TORG tomorrow, and a lot of people have been teasing pics of Torg dice set to "2016", so whatever happens I'll know more tomorrow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

CLASSIC ROLEPLAYING GAME TORG RETURNS AS TORG ETERNITY

Ulisses Spiele Announces Return of Torg in New Updated Edition

CHANDLER, AZ (July 21, 2015) – Ulisses Spiele US, a division of Germany’s premiere game manufacturer and distributor, today announced the return of the influential Torg roleplaying game.

The new game is entitled Torg: Eternity, and is a new and updated take on the original game and its setting. The design team includes many who worked on the original Torg line that debuted from West End Games in 1990.

Torg co-creator Greg Gorden has been involved at a high level and given it his blessing: “I really like this re-imagining of the TORG mythos. The streamlining and modernization of the game mechanics feel spot on. I cannot wait to play this game!”

The game’s rights were sold after the closure of West End Games and were eventually purchased by Torg fan and president of Ulisses Spiele, Markus Plotz. “TORG is a one of a kind RPG. The setting is unique and for over 15 years, I dreamed about releasing a new and updated version. Now, with the help of the amazing Shane Hensley, that dream finally becomes reality!”

Shane Lacy Hensley heads up the United States studio where both Torg: Eternity and The Dark Eye are being created. “Though my plate is pretty full with my own company, Pinnacle Entertainment Group, I couldn’t resist working on the game that gave me my start. I also met a kindred spirit in Markus Plotz who truly loves and appreciates what a turning point Torg marked in RPG development, so I just couldn’t say no.”

Torg: Eternity will debut in 2016 in deluxe, full color hardback format.

About Ulisses Spiele
Ulisses Spiele is the premiere manufacturer of RPGs in Germany. The company’s portfolio includes amongst other games The Dark Eye (the biggest Fantasy RPG in Germany), the German version of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (as a license from US RPG giant Paizo Inc.) and the new German V20 version of Vampire – The Masquerade.

Additionally Ulisses Spiele is known as the German distributor for the critically acclaimed tabletop games Warmachine and Hordes from Privateer Press and Infinity from Corvus Belli.

With TORG: Eternity, Ulisses Spiele publishes its first English RPG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently the main announcement will be at GenCon this weekend, but in the meantime here's what noted Gaming Person "Morrus" had to say about it.

quote:

I have to admit that as someone who reports on RPGs for a living, it's probably criminal that I am completely unfamiliar with Torg. However, there's a new edition coming called Torg Eternity, which is an updated take on the original game and seeing from 1990. The co-creator of Torg, Greg Gorden, is involved, and the project is being spearheaded by Shane Hensley (of Pinnacle Entertainment Group and Savage Worlds fame).

So, what's Torg? It was a multi-genre game written in 1990 and published by West End Games. Players play near-future Storm Knights who fight the invasion of Earth from various dimensions, each of which corresponds with an RPG genre. The title originally meant "The Other Roleplaying Game".

It's a "cinematic" game, and uses cinematic terminology like "Acts" and "Scenes"; it has exploding d20s, and a card system called a Drama Deck.

This will be a full color hardback book, and is slated for a 2016 release. It will be published by Ulisses Spiele, a German RPG publisher, which bought the rights after West End Games closed.

"What's Torg? Uh, well, it uses terms like 'scenes', and employs dice. Also, I guess it's a book? With cards?"

e: Jesus I am so far behind on my Torg review in F&F...

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 21, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't decide if I want the Cyberpapacy's tech to be high-tech based off current understanding of computer technology, or if they're still stuck with the old 80's cyberpunk stuff based off 90's computers.

Malraux comes down his bridge, cybered to the gills, proclaims "BEHOLD MY SUPERIOR DIVINE TECHNOLOGY", doesn't have wifi capability.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Go right in the middle. He has wifi, but it's like 2600 baud. and tubes everywhere. Just randomly placed cathodes.
And neon. Gotta have that neon.

Based on things I have heard, I'm currently "cautiously optimistic leaning towards fully optimistic" on the new edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think it's a pre-release press release, with the more detailed announcement coming at GenCon.

Unless you're talking about that Morrus said before the release itself, in which case yeah that's a terrible announcement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently the mechanics are being updated and streamlined. Thank the lord.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

The game will now require only one graphing calculator at the table instead of one for each player.

No, in Old Torg (oTorg?) only the GM had to deal with the math. The players just totaled up what they rolled and the GM did all the heavy lifting with the logarythmic scale tables. That made it rules-light! :pseudo:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do love that Morrus does lead off with "yeah, I don't know a thing about this" but couldn't be bothered to Google it or ask for more detail or anything.

"Is it based on 3e? No? Yawn."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Not to temper the TORG excitement but remember that technically _Masterbook_ is a streamlined version of the TORG rules, so...

Please do not undercut the only good news I've had all week. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

My fav dealing with humans is Greg Stolze's Out of the Violent Planet setting, which hinges on them being ordinary and boring. Basically, after making contact with alien civilizations it turns out the humans are the only known sentient species that lack psychic powers, which led them to develop all sorts of unbelievable ideas such as "guns", "destroying your enemies' poo poo rather than taking it", or "it is safer to concentrate in one place" and completely shake up the galaxy's geopolitics. Fun stuff.
Violent Planet is one of my favorite Stolze concepts ever. I love how these insanely powerful psychics came to Earth and tried to violently mind-control us, and the only result was that like 1% of the human population went "hey, did you hear something?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, it looks like the Cypher Core Book (the "generic Numenera") was released yesterday too; that's probably the other reason DriveThru's borked.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

Generic in what sense? Just in the way of removing it from the setting or stripping out things like the remotely interesting foci?
Generic in the sense of "can be applied to any genre"; presumbaly the foci will be less focused on the Numenera/The Strange settings and be applicable to multiple settings, but I haven't read it yet.

I might end up picking it up today because I'm having a lovely-rear end day and have a tendency to eshop to make myself feel better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still not sold one way or the other on Numenera; I feel like I should like it because it has elements I enjoy, but the only time I've ever been able to play was with a terrible GM who kept forgetting rules and didn't think to have the characters be appropriate for the adventure in a one-session demo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

alg posted:

holy moly the tears on the Roll20 forums over their redesign

What happened with Roll20?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Are Drivethru downloads down for you guys or is it something on my end?

They've been up and down all week. I tried to download something a few hours ago and got the "all servers are busy" error, but I tried again twenty seconds later and it worked fine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy Gary Gygax Day, everyone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I personally don't blame him for the insanity of his fans; if anything the edition warriors and One True Way-ists are making GBS threads on his legacy.

I mean, I found a web site where they had this whole thing about how to honor Gary and part of it was a toast of "gently caress Loraine Williams". People need to let that the gently caress go, because let's be frank: TSR would have collapsed with or without her.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A few more here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is one of those things where the creator thinks something is bad only it's actually amazing, isn't it.
I think it's more of a Darkplace situation.

• Locked thread