Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tempted to create a tabletop gaming music thread. I'm about to ask my players to go along with some... different music choices for some upcoming boss fights and someone should probably tell me that it's going to be jarring (not in the good way) switch them from generally atmospheric music that avoids sounding too modern (like some Witcher 3 combat music) to things like, well, the Titan theme from FFXIV. My intention is for it to be intentionally jarring, because I'm reserving modern musical genres for otherworldly or extremely monstrous enemies, but I worry it'll be jarring in a bad way.

(I definitely need to be talked out of using Shiva's theme, too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RPZip posted:

Ravana's theme

Well, the second part of it, but still. The FFXIV boss themes are incredible.

Aren't they, though? It makes me wish I actually still liked playing the game.

01011001 posted:

Intentionally jarring in the "unexpectedly modern" sense: a large amount of the SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Baroque soundtracks will work. Whatever you pick, as long as it's not really overbearing, they probably won't be too thrown by it even if it doesn't perfectly fit or whatever. Just make sure it's appropriate as background music that stays in the background.

Thanks for reminding me about the various SMT soundtracks I can mine, because those are all awesome.

I'm still a little curious if I can get away with things like using the FFXIV Titan theme for a huge construct made out of scraps of war machines, or the Shiva theme for what is essentially going to be an "angel of death"-themed battle, but those might cross over into not being strictly background.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

If you want something that sounds more modern but fitting with fantasy, I suppose you could try the Drakengard soundtrack, which is mostly samples of orchestral music remade to sound rather jarring and dark. It might be a little too much though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98&index=38&list=PL9C76300F15CC9EBD

Also if you haven't heard of Drakengard, I recommend to never actually play any of the games in the series because they all suck.

This is a great suggestion and something I hadn't considered. Drakengard (and NIER) soundtracks are awesome. Also my exposure to Drakengard doesn't really extend beyond The Dark Id's LPs.

I could throw down with some Drakengard 3 boss music for sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other great soundtracks to pilfer include Breath of Fire IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mis94WKFYhQ

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well, the Essentials issue was introducing stripped-down classes that didn't work with existing ones. The 13th Age fighter is a lot like the Essentials fighter.

My only real issues with 13th Age are the few stripped-down classes, it's true. Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger are all perfectly effective, but they're really boring in the process. Paladin at least works great as a multiclass with the 13 True Ways Commander class (which is what one of my players is doing). Also, damage numbers kind of spiral out of control. I think Heinsoo and Tweet kind of got caught up in "big numbers are fun!" and just ran with it.

I like most everything else about it, though. The engagement rules for combat are a nice, easy way to handle opportunity attacks and "tanking" mechanics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I think the biggest thing they could do with is more special attacks that activate on odds and more that overlap. It should be 'what are my options and how do I react' instead of 'do I get to do a thing at all', but it's a decent concept and the player of mine who plays them legit loves the Fighter.

This is pretty much my problem with it. The Bard, the other official class that relies on flexible melee attacks, has a lot of options that aren't those. The Fighter, meanwhile, is mostly built around them, and the balance of it swings towards "hope your roll lets you do something useful." I think I just don't love the idea of flexible melee attacks to begin with, so building an entire class out of them, especially one that could be as tactical as the Fighter, means I'm probably not going to like that class.

Lightning Lord posted:

I mostly think the Druid is too unfocused and wants to be every version of that concept.

Yeah, the Druid is kind of messed up. I've heard that if you give the Druid four talents instead of three, it helps a lot, but even then, you should still really choose between "caster" or "warrior" Druid, which kind of defeats the purpose of having such a modular class to begin with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

In practice, though, most fights end on turn 2-3 so most of that doesn't much matter. Good concept, execution is a bit off.

I'm having about the same experience, actually. I still like a lot about 13th Age, and I like the idea behind the escalation die, but it isn't helping as much as I'd like. Either the fight is over by turn 3, or everyone's rolling so lovely that they manage to miss even with the escalation die on 5 and it's very disheartening. In the same session, I had an easy encounter with some stupid ghouls take 7 turns (and drat near an hour of real time), while the climactic fight that was tuned to be way harder was basically over by turn 3. That's an extreme circumstance, obviously. But it did highlight how the escalation die is only a minor aid and not quite as revolutionary as it seems on the surface.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nothing says "tabletop roleplaying" like watching your players cut through a mystery designed to last for several sessions in the course of three hours through blind luck, recklessness, insanely good persuasion and intimidation rolls, and sheer, bloody persistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They almost did that! They also almost made themselves enemies of the state in the city-state they just saved from a dragon, though they might still accomplish that.

I will say that I was impressed to see them arguing their motivations in-character (this particular mystery's solution led to several characters' political sympathies conflicting with each other and with their duties) and taking into account consequences before leaping to violence. That's new for them. They even sympathized with some orcs, which is remarkable because they went into the session thinking "let's chop up some orcs!"

• Locked thread