Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

In practice, though, most fights end on turn 2-3 so most of that doesn't much matter. Good concept, execution is a bit off.

This could be 13th Age's tagline really. I agree that the Escalation Die is a good idea in theory, but in practice my experience with D&D-style fights is that they're either over in a couple-few rounds or if they go on any longer then people quickly start going "yeah okay, this is dragging on," so adding something to fights that unlocks cool stuff but only after you've passed the threshold between "this is fun" and "c'mon just loving die already, Jesus" doesn't quite work. I'm not sure what you'd need to do to make it work better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AlphaDog posted:

I still haven't managed to actually play 13th Age (much to my regret), but this is really interesting because from reading the book it sounds like the escalation die will do that really well.

Is it just a case of the numbers not actually making fights end in the sweet spot between short/unsatisfying and long/boring. Could it be as simple as adjusting the bonus you get from the die? Does the die need to be integral to more stuff you can do?

My experience playing with the Escalation Die both in 13th Age and repurposed into 4E is that the +to hit bonus the ED gives doesn't make a ton of difference and is also kind of fiddly, and gating certain abilities/special bonuses behind the ED being at a certain threshold is more frustrating than "woah awesome" because it's like if you have an ability that doesn't get expended if you use it when the ED is at X or higher and then the fight ends (either completely or "all over but the mopping up") at round X-1 and you were hanging onto that ability thinking "oh man this is gonna be so cool" then you wind up feeling like you wasted an opportunity.

From a strict numbers perspective I'd say that the ED isn't tremendously likely to bring fights to a close in the "sweet spot" any more than any other low to middling set of bonuses would...+1 to +3 to hit is nice and all but a d20 based resolution system still has a tendency to be swingy even with an extra 5-15% chance to-hit going on, and if you start getting past that point then you've already sort of passed the sweet spot for a lot of folks anyway. I think the Escalation Die is a noble idea that sounds neat in concept but in practice just sort of adds an extra layer of fiddly cruft to things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just want to point out that Eberron even has its own Mad Max area built right into the setting in the Demon Wastes. Just add cars to taste and a sorcerer-king or two and you're good to go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whoah hey DDO isn't spectacular but it's 10 times the game PFO is and actually manages to be a somewhat accurate representation of what D&D is in some respects.

It was a pretty boring waste of the Eberron license though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The real problem with TORG is that as a useable system it's about on par with Rifts. It also doesn't actually support crazy mashup stuff by letting you bring laser rifles to hunt dinosaurs or be daring pulp heroes in dystopic corporatocracy Japan because it's chock full of rules and restrictions preventing all that, including random chances for your character to just spontaneously explode if you try too hard to cross the streams. It's a missed opportunity coming and going. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only thing most people remember about it is "it's the game with a cyber-Pope" because that's really its most noteworthy feature.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Elves as evil dickbags is practically tradition by this point. You'd probably have an easier time listing games in which elves aren't some combination of insufferable, arrogant, racist, and/or murderously xenophobic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I guess that's one way to bring the thread back around to the topic of "rapists: are they really that bad, or just misunderstood?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

frest posted:

E: the other option is that they were just terrible money pits being operated by incompetent people who honestly thought there was a huge profit to be made

It's this one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My favorite game store thing is when they have dusty copies of 10-15 year old products still sitting on shelves somewhere still going for full MSRP. Sure thing dude, that copy of Everway hasn't sold yet but keep holding out hope.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Play space seems to be an important ingredient for a successful game store, especially with the takeoff of Friday Night Magic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that the film Titanic wasn't titled "Watership Down?"

Yeah, just spoil the ending right there in the title, that's a great idea.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Cheers for the mecha/kaiju recommendations, I"ll take a look at Last Stand. A little surprised it was pulled from DTRPG and stuff. Wasn't it a successful goon kickstarter? I usually follow hilarious kickstarter drama but have no idea whats happened.

It wasn't really pulled as in "taken down never to see the light of day again," Mikan decided to make it available for free download so pretty much anyone can have a copy if they want now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Holy god who in the gently caress said this

Mikan related the story on RPGnet back when the Last Stand Kickstarter was still going and she was cross-promoting it over there. I think it might actually have just after the books went out now that I think about it. Either way some people were complimenting the cover art and Mikan mentioned that yeah, she was pretty proud of it, but that I think it was like a friend or acquaintance of hers had said something like "Yeah it's a good cover, but I mean are you sure you want a black woman on the cover of your game? That might put people off. Maybe you should change it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

it wasn't a friend, it was some poster concern trolling

It was a while ago so I'm probably getting details wrong. Either way it was pretty dumb.

• Locked thread