Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
World War Z was utter loving poo poo. The Survival Guide was stupid and poorly researched to start with, and don't loving try to write in a format where "multiple people are narrating" if you're loving poo poo and can't write in a different voice. Like a bad impressionist who can't change his voice and is like "now I'll be Batman: I am the night! now I'll be a soldier: semper fi herobravery!" in his normal voice but because his dad is a famous comedian everybody keeps going drat HAVE YOU HEARD HIS IMPRESSIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I haven't read any Eddings in a while, and his last series was pretty bad even for teenage me, but those books will always have a special place in my heart. It's not good, but at least it's charming.

I absolutely agree the Elenium is better, though.

Speaking of David Eddings,

Eragon straight up plagiarized the Belgariad. The scene where Eragon's mentor teaches him magic uses the same set-up and the same joke as when Belgarath is teaching Garion magic. Mentor guy even reacts with the same line, word for word.

I like how with all of the Star Wars talk, nobody has brought up the X-Wing series. They were my first Star Wars books, and the best ones I read. I never read the Thrawn ones. It's funny, they are both Star Wars and 100% military fiction, but are better than 98% of either.

Oh believe me I agree with you, it still holds a place in my heart as the first fantasy series I really read through properly and enjoyed. Just that whole "adult perspective" brings out some of its less well written and/or intended themes.

The Elenium largely corrected the basic issues that the Belgariad had in having a competent and not boring main character and more realistic side characters. Less awful female characters (by just not having any but one female character who fortunatley wasnt an awful monster like Polgara) and having a more fun and concise goal based adventure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

InediblePenguin posted:

World War Z was utter loving poo poo. The Survival Guide was stupid and poorly researched to start with, and don't loving try to write in a format where "multiple people are narrating" if you're loving poo poo and can't write in a different voice. Like a bad impressionist who can't change his voice and is like "now I'll be Batman: I am the night! now I'll be a soldier: semper fi herobravery!" in his normal voice but because his dad is a famous comedian everybody keeps going drat HAVE YOU HEARD HIS IMPRESSIONS

Thank you for writing a criticism of World War Z that wasn't AMERICA'S BEST AND BRAVEST WOULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT!!!! OOORAHOOORAHOORAH :911: :911: :911:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Oh believe me I agree with you, it still holds a place in my heart as the first fantasy series I really read through properly and enjoyed. Just that whole "adult perspective" brings out some of its less well written and/or intended themes.

The Elenium largely corrected the basic issues that the Belgariad had in having a competent and not boring main character and more realistic side characters. Less awful female characters (by just not having any but one female character who fortunatley wasnt an awful monster like Polgara) and having a more fun and concise goal based adventure.

I don't know, I thought the main woman witch in both series were similar. Apparently Eddings' wife co-wrote most of his books, and they were semi-self-inserts. It's been most of a decade since I read any of them, though. And that makes me feel old.

But I agree that the characters in the Elenium were basically like if the side characters in the Belgariad weren't saddled with a couple of coming of age stories.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Isn't this the climax of a novel about a painting fucker that also fucks like van goghs and matisses?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know, I thought the main woman witch in both series were similar. Apparently Eddings' wife co-wrote most of his books, and they were semi-self-inserts. It's been most of a decade since I read any of them, though. And that makes me feel old.

But I agree that the characters in the Elenium were basically like if the side characters in the Belgariad weren't saddled with a couple of coming of age stories.

Nah, Sephrenia in the Elenium is a much more "sagely" and placid character. Polgara was an active dick to her father for no good reason and treated everyone like a child which became grating. The worst character moment for Polgara was getting super angry at Garion for rebelling about having to now be a "wizard" and having all this responsibility. Garion of course being a 14 year old kid who was literally a chapter ago purposely goaded into melting his parent's murderer's face off by Polgara. I think that specifically was the moment I realized she was an awful awful character. Youre right about Edding's wife as far as I know. She did get credit on later books though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

I know you're trying to unsell the books here, but as a lover of lovely puns, I think I need these books now.

Phil Foglio actually made a comic out of the first book. Or what I think is the first book?

http://www.airshipentertainment.com/mythcomic.php?date=20100109

I thought it was amusing. Not earth-shattering literature but goofy and silly fantasy nonsense. Never read the books but the comic was OK.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of the Louvre, I read Da Vinci Code as a teenager. Even if I was intrigued by the (totally dumb, in retrospect) ideas behind it, ultimately it's the definition of a hack-job. It's the book version of a dumb person pretending to be intellectual. Brown is a very self-indulgent author who tries to wow the audience with facts and his impressions of a cultured person.

Angels and Demons was the same. I distinctly remember the bit where Robert Langdon had an aside about his father and how he bought him a beautiful gift after Mom Langdon died and Daddy never appreciated it and he took it back. It was the clumsiest attempt to shoehorn sentimentalism into it. Oh, and he was saved from suffocation because of his Mickey Mouse watch? Did you know Mickey Mouse is Topolino in Italian? I bet you didn't!

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Aug 16, 2018

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I bought this for my husband for Christmas one year. He read the whole thing and likely hates me now.

My favorite terrible book series is The Black Samurai series by Marc Olden and of them my favorite terrible book is "The Warlock".

The Warlock posted:

When a voodoo priest bewitches Sand’s beloved, the samurai goes on the warpath

Black magic orgies. Human sacrifices. Necrophilia. These are just a few of Augustus Janicot’s special skills. This charismatic sadist has built a formidable following, convincing politicians across Europe that his voodoo ritual can win them office. When they consent to his bloody rites, he films them, and uses the footage for blackmail. On the verge of obtaining unlimited power, the Warlock is about to make a fatal mistake.

Janicot’s next target is in Vietnam, and for Robert Sand, this is too close to home. An American trained in the ways of the samurai, Sand fears for the safety of Toki Jakata, the granddaughter of his late samurai master and the only woman he has ever loved. Sand has never been able to win Toki’s heart, but he will do anything to keep Janicot from pulling it out of her chest.

The Black Samurai is actually more of a ninja, but I mean can we truly expect a '70s blaxploitation novel written by a proto-weeaboo to be accurate in its terminology?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
A disturbing number of these fall into the "right wing fanfiction" camp of a racially pure authoritarian society free of all that left-wing baloney like equality and civil rights and poo poo. :freep:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I bought this for my husband for Christmas one year. He read the whole thing and likely hates me now.

I'm not sure things like rear end Goblins of Auschwitz count - when someone's trying to make something that's clearly marketing itself as "BUY ME SO YOU CAN LAUGH AT HOW TERRIBLE I AM ON YOUR MESSAGE BOARDS", it's not on the same level of artistic achievement as someone who really thinks they're making a real book. Modelland, as someone noted, is basically outsider art by a millionaire whose handlers couldn't hold back her determination to poo poo the floor in public. That is a noteworthy thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

These threads always make me want to start writing again, because even though I have maybe a thousand hours of writing to go before I would even submit something to CC for critique, I know I will never be as bad as some of these authors.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

divabot posted:

I'm not sure things like rear end Goblins of Auschwitz count - when someone's trying to make something that's clearly marketing itself as "BUY ME SO YOU CAN LAUGH AT HOW TERRIBLE I AM ON YOUR MESSAGE BOARDS", it's not on the same level of artistic achievement as someone who really thinks they're making a real book. Modelland, as someone noted, is basically outsider art by a millionaire whose handlers couldn't hold back her determination to poo poo the floor in public. That is a noteworthy thing.

There are books in the same vein by another author who seems to take his writing very seriously: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/?ie=UTF8&k=Carlton+Mellick+III&i=books

I mean as bad as Killer Klowns from Outer Space is, the guys who made it thought they had made a truly groundbreaking film, so who knows about rear end Goblins?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

These threads always make me want to start writing again, because even though I have maybe a thousand hours of writing to go before I would even submit something to CC for critique, I know I will never be as bad as some of these authors.

Go ahead and write, even if it's stuff you'd never show to another living soul. Recording the words is most of the way to a finished work and I'll fistfight anyone who says otherwise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

To be honest I'm almost tempted to start writing again just to see if I can somehow do even worse than these authors. Forget striving to be the best I want to write the worst book ever written.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, I know. It's just too low on my priority list to do tight now. Once I finish school in 5 months, probably.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I'm almost tempted to start writing again just to see if I can somehow do even worse than these authors. Forget striving to be the best I want to write the worst book ever written.

That is so incredibly disingenious it would loop right back into being genuinely bad.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My favourite person to think of, when I think I should never attempt to write another word, is Lionel Fanthorpe - author of over 180 sci-fi and fantasy books, 89 of which were produced during three consecutive years. To get up to this astonishing rate, he dictated and recorded his novels whilst lying in bed; the publisher would often send him a schlocky bookcover ripped from an already-published work, and he would concoct a story to fit it. His masterpieces were immediately typed up and published with no plot revision, and barely any proofreading or editing:

http://www.peltorro.com/intro.htm

A benign lunatic dictating from under his bedcovers posted:

She screwed up the securing diagram and was overwhelmed by a sudden desire to clean her teeth. It became the be all and end all of existence for a few seconds. The desire to clean her teeth grew absolutely compulsive, she could have no more resisted it than she could have flown unaided between two planets.

Moving quickly from the radio to her living quarters, she squeezed a little water into a plastic container and put a few dabs of toothpaste on her brush. She slipped the brush into her mouth and pressed the small button in the end which activated its electric motor. The bristles-soft, gentle bristles, guaranteed not to damage the enamel or the gum-moved swiftly against the teeth. She began with the top left molars, worked round to the bicuspids, and came round again from them to the incisors, the canines, the laterals and the centrals. Once she had reached the front of her mouth, she-changed her grip on the brush so that it moved round to the top right, travelling over the bicuspids and molars as it moved. Coming down the sides of her teeth, she paused and took a deep breath, placed a little more paste upon the brush and moved it round again this time beginning with the actual chewing surface of the upper right molars, coming round and cleaning again between the crevices until she had worked round to the left-hand molars.

Once more she put paste on the brush in this same elaborate ritual and concentrated her attention now upon the inside of the upper left molars, the inside of the upper left bicuspids, round across the incisors and so back to the right-hand masticators. She rinsed the brush, reapplied the paste and repeated the whole ritualistic process with the lower teeth. She cleaned the brush very carefully and then, in a set way, put it back and moved back towards the radio set.

She had taken barely a dozen paces when she was assailed by a horrible thought that she had not cleaned the top left inside molars. She stood in an agony of uncertainty for five minutes, then went back to the bathroom area of her living quarters, recharged the brush and carefully cleaned again the top left molars on their inside surfaces. She looked at her reflection in the mirror; it foamed back at her like a rabid dog.
"This time I have done them all," she said. "What about the bottom inside molars?" asked her reflection. "I have done them all," said Marian firmly. "If you have forgotten them the bacteria responsible for dental caries will get in," said the voice in her mind. "It is no good being clean on the outside if you have forgotten the inside. Are you sure you have done the left inside?" "Yes, I have, I have." Marian picked up her toothbrush and flung it savagely across the dome; it bounced from the thick plastic glass and broke on the floor.

This was published, and someone somewhere bought and read it.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Participate in Thunderdome! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm pretty sre that most of the "fans" of WWZ have never actually read the book and are just going off of the title and general "woo zombies :woop:" sentiment before it got run into the loving ground.

I am basing this assumption entirely on fans criticizing the movie version for being "unrealistic" unlike the book. Said book which never really explains the origin or spread of the zombie plague aside from a vague reference to organ black markets and illegal immigrants, skips over the part where zombies go from a thing that exists to a global pandemic because the author admitted he couldn't think of a way to do it with slow zombies, and has zombies that are effectively magic since they can be frozen solid in winter and them thaw in spring no worse for wear, walk across the bottom of the ocean in defiance of pressure that would destroy a human body, and have limbs that remain animated after being cut off as of they have minds of their own.

Also all the goofy comic-book poo poo like Japan being kept safe by blind samurai and their otaku protégé. But it's presented as an oral history so it's totally grounded!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Thank you for writing a criticism of World War Z that wasn't AMERICA'S BEST AND BRAVEST WOULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT!!!! OOORAHOOORAHOORAH :911: :911: :911:

Him making the soldiers be so comically ineffective at Yonkers was just as masturbatory as any :911: right-wing military fiction since it was only there to continue his faux-populist narrative with the nerdy armchair generals know more than the real thing and are stuck shaking their heads and clicking their tongues when they're proven right.

The whole book has this whole juvenile "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" attitude where everybody in power is incompetent and stupid and nerds are all rad under-appreciated geniuses and since the zombie wasteland is a perfect meritocracy the cool nerds get to run things while the old guard ia relegated to (literal) poo poo-shovelers and the suburban dads die in the woods because they don't even know what kind of sleeping bag is the right one.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Jul 10, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sre that most of the "fans" of WWZ have never actually read the book and are just going off of the title and general "woo zombies :woop:" sentiment before it got run into the loving ground.

I am basing this assumption entirely on fans criticizing the movie version for being "unrealistic" unlike the book. Said book which never really explains the origin or spread of the zombie plague aside from a vague reference to organ black markets and illegal immigrants, skips over the part where zombies go from a thing that exists to a global pandemic because the author admitted he couldn't think of a way to do it with slow zombies, and has zombies that are effectively magic since they can be frozen solid in winter and them thaw in spring no worse for wear, walk across the bottom of the ocean in defiance of pressure that would destroy a human body, and have limbs that remain animated after being cut off as of they have minds of their own.

Also all the goofy comic-book poo poo like Japan being kept safe by blind samurai and their otaku protégé. But it's presented as an oral history so it's totally grounded!

Him making the soldiers be so comically ineffective at Yonkers was just as masturbatory as any :911: right-wing military fiction since it was only there to continue his faux-populist narrative with the nerdy armchair generals know more than the real thing and are stuck shaking their heads and clicking their tongues when they're proven right.

The whole book has this whole juvenile "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" attitude where everybody in power is incompetent and stupid and nerds are all rad under-appreciated geniuses and since the zombie wasteland is a perfect meritocracy the cool nerds get to run things while the old guard ia relegated to (literal) poo poo-shovelers and the suburban dads die in the woods because they don't even know what kind of sleeping bag is the right one.

I hate having to break this to you, but books and movies aren't real life.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I hate having to break this to you, but books and movies aren't real life.

Tell that to all the people who hold WWZ up as some paragon of tactical realism.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Sleeveless posted:

you are a terrible poster with a strange aggressive attitude that sparks of anger problems, and projections of your own life failings onto other people by virtue of their subjective taste in media items which are of little interest to you. perhaps, consider therapy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, I know. It's just too low on my priority list to do tight now. Once I finish school in 5 months, probably.

lol @ this failson for thinking there's time to write when u start work. chortling at my desk kneedeep in wet spreadsheets and contracts to vet through. they are wet from my tears

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

King Doom posted:

This post made me angry, because yeah, it's all true. The first book in the series, River God, is loving amazing. Read it when I was a kid, it's one of my favourite books of all time. Set in Ancient Egypt it is from the viewpoint of the Eunuch Taita, that Ancient Egyptian Wizard mentioned (he's more of a wise man than a wizard at this point) and the book is really entertaining and at the same time feels like it could all have happened and that Wilbur Smith did a metric ton of research. Everything that happens (barring possible the main character using something called Red Sheppen to go on a vision quest type thing) could realistically have happened. There's action, adventure, a tragic romance (Taita the eunuch is in love with his owner, Queen Lostris) and she dies in the end of the book, lamenting they could never be together. It's all very sad.

Years later he decides to write a sequel. I'm overjoyed.

I read the Sequel, called Warlock.

This is the point where Taita, who has up to now just been a very intelligent man, is suddenly a wizard. Personally, I suspect the author became some sort of mentally ill, because if I remember correctly, it takes less than fifty pages before people are shooting magical penis orgasm beams at each other, because that's how wizards work. Gone is any attention to detail or historical accuracy, now it's psychic sexual warfare and pages long descriptions of big throbbing cocks. Towards the end of the book, in the last few pages, that fairly important female character Her Dryer mentions? the one who gets spearfucked? her own sister does that.

The next book in the series is I think called 'the quest' and that I never read. I have heard that Taita magically grows his cock and balls back in this one. Remember a paragraph or so ago when I mentioned the tragic love between Taita and his owner, Queen Lostris? they end River God saying one day in another life they can be together. That time is now, in book three. Taita is around 120 right now, and Lostris has been reincarnated and is now I wanna say sixteen or so. The sex witch parts are new to me, but now I've heard about them and having Warlock, anyone who said they were made up and not in the book I'd call a liar.

That writer really mystifies me. I never read any of the books but from the way people talk about River God and the way people talk about its sequels makes me think this guy almost could have had a classic if he didn't immediately drive into crazy "unmentionable in decent company" town.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sleeveless posted:

Tell that to all the people who hold WWZ up as some paragon of tactical realism.

Who are these people? I want their names.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I just found the standard of writing to be very poor with WWZ. The different voices read like very facile impersonations and some are comically bad. Which is probably the worst thing for a book that is a collection of interviews.

Looking past that it's the hamfisted social commentary and masturbatory nerd fantasy stuff (blind Japanese swordsman, etc) that's no better than all the rest of the pulp comic book/fantasy/sci-fi shite out there.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Nanomashoes posted:

Isn't this the climax of a novel about a painting fucker that also fucks like van goghs and matisses?

i forgot to respond to this but yes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not until I get more practice, I haven't written since 2010.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol @ this failson for thinking there's time to write when u start work. chortling at my desk kneedeep in wet spreadsheets and contracts to vet through. they are wet from my tears

I'm already working full time. That's why I'm not writing now too.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

you are a terrible poster with a strange aggressive attitude that sparks of anger problems, and projections of your own life failings onto other people by virtue of their subjective taste in media items which are of little interest to you. perhaps, consider therapy.

You're really defensive, is it your favorite book or do you just have a beef with that poster?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

InediblePenguin posted:

You're really defensive, is it your favorite book or do you just have a beef with that poster?

The Saddest Rhino sighed as he drew his blind Japanese master's anti-zombie katana...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

InediblePenguin posted:

Well you could just look at Sleeveless's post history and decide for yourself.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Sleeveless posted:

The Saddest Rhino sighed as he drew his blind Japanese master's anti-zombie katana...

anime is book

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Sleeveless posted:

what a silly insult, since anime is bad

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mycot posted:

Well you could just look at Sleeveless's post history and decide for yourself.

Don't you need plat for that? I'm a gay poor :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst part of World War Z for me was the bit about how the military nicknames their anti zombie rifle the "Meg" because it looks like the old Megatron toy. Ugh, no, nobody would ever do that.

The last Tom Clancy book to just have his name on it was completely terrible, "Teeth of the Tiger." That's the one where Jack Ryan Jr joins an NGO which specializes in assassinating people. Because they're not the government they don't have to go through any of that red tape whenever someone needs to be put down. Also they don't have any of the pesky "oversight" and if any of them get caught, why Jack Ryan Sr just happened to sign a bunch of blank undated pardons as get out of jail free cards. Probably the strangest part of the book is how ole Clance (or his ghostwriter) decided for some reason that 9/11 still happened and everyone acts like its a big deal, despite the fact that his version of the world has had a bunch of terrorist attacks on the US, up to and including a goddamn nuke going off or how in a previous book like 90% of Congress was killed when someone flew a jet into the Capitol building.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

To be fair, if the US military was presented with an enemy force that defied all conventional notions of strategy and force projection rather then breaking it down and going back to basics they would dig in, refuse to change and scream about how bureaucrats are trying to destroy a historical institution.

For those unaware, in the book carpet bombing, tank shells, MOABs, etc. aren't really effective against a massive zombie horde (although just lining up tanks and running them over should work but nevermind) so when the reformed USA bunkers down on the West Coast the guy made SecDef guts the military because $2 billion stealth bombers have no purpose anymore and faces massive resistance from the military brass for it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Sven Hassel's first book, The Legion of the Damned, is a surprisingly sober and believable war novel. The rest of his books aren't.
In the second book he basically goes: "Oops, nearly forgot! Our unit also included an eight foot simpleton and a francophile muslim eunuch legionnaire. gently caress it!"
They get really, really bad and make you realize that Hassel was full of poo poo the whole time. They make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for having liked the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Pro-click right here

Robert Lionel Fanthorp posted:

The darkness all around him was thick, black, stygian. It was a stifling, overwhelming, suffocating darkness. A horrifying terrifying darkness. A darkness of the nethermost pit of hell. Indescribable. It seemed an oppressive darkness, like the darkness of some foul underground dungeon, to which the blessed light of the sun never gained access. It was velvety, almost tactile. He was inhaling it; it was penetrating the pores of his skin; it seemed that the world had always been darkness, that the world alway would be darkness. It was a timeless darkness, a weird, horrifying, overwhelming eternal blackness. He felt as though this was the darkness of a tomb, and that he had been buried alive. . .

It was dark, yo.

Robert Lionel Fanthorp posted:

The co-pilot was right. Even with the eyes shut a blueness was still everywhere. The world had suddenly turned into a vast blue phantasmagoria, a panoply of blue that was everywhere. A vista of blue desert, of blue twilight. A blue glitter, a blue sparkle, a coralescing, scintillating blue that seemed to have no end and no beginning. There was no escape from it. It was an inevitable blue, an unescapable blue. They could smell it now, it seemed to be penetrating their nostrils, their lungs, the pores of their skin. It was seeping into their bodies as thought they were immersed in a bath of it. They felt that it was invading them, that somehow it was penetrating to the innermost depths of their souls, their minds and their bodies. There was no stopping that blueness.

It was blue, yo.