Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

program666 posted:

terry gillian is who tim burton want to be when he growns up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hubris.height posted:

4 job fiesta owns. it's really cool that a simple change can turn a solved game into a fun new challenge and that any party comp can beat the game eventually

i can't do it. I like making all the job points go up, and collecting blue magic spells for the whole party.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hubris.height posted:

4 job fiesta owns. it's really cool that a simple change can turn a solved game into a fun new challenge and that any party comp can beat the game eventually

FF5 is straight up a great game, even though it's less "cinematic" than 4 or 6, so of course playing it with a stupid gimmick is still fun.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah it is a great game. i feel like it took me this long to realize what parts of ff games i enjoy, and i can thank the 4 job for helping me figure it out. i really feel like v is a better game than 4 or 6 even though the story is really dumb, and like you said, not at all cinematic. but really, the gimmick makes it more fun because you can figure out new and creative ways to break the system and that's real loving neato.

whats everyone gonna play over the long weekend?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
V's story is dumb but the writers/translators knew it was its so its a lot more fun than the later FFs in that regard. 4, 5, and 6 was when the series was at its peak.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Accordion Man posted:

V's story is dumb but the writers/translators knew it was its so its a lot more fun than the later FFs in that regard. 4, 5, and 6 was when the series was at its peak.

was gonna post a screenshot that i made during my last ff5 game of exdeath saying "MWAHAHA I DISGUISED MYSELF AS A STICK!" or some such but I can't find it :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also 5 gave us the best Final Fantasy character, Gilgamesh.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mak0rz posted:

was gonna post a screenshot that i made during my last ff5 game of exdeath saying "MWAHAHA I DISGUISED MYSELF AS A STICK!" or some such but I can't find it :(

yeah, that turtle gets owned so hard

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ex Death is basically just an evil tree whole's really mean, and it's great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

I don't think it's dumb it's just kind of a big mess. And yeah, I find myself returning to the SNES games way more than I ever do any of the others. Those loving FMVs are awful.

Accordion Man posted:

Also 5 gave us the best Final Fantasy character, Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh is legitimately funny and that's not something the translators made up, he was always that great. ExDeath being an evil tree is pretty inspired, too.

Bicyclops posted:

Ex Death is basically just an evil tree who's really mean, and it's great.

Yeah man! Yeah!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it's dumb it's just kind of a big mess. And yeah, I find myself returning to the SNES games way more than I ever do any of the others. Those loving FMVs are awful.

A big part of the SNES ones and other games from the era like Chronotrigger and Mario RPG is you can be like "I'mma go play this FF4" and go just burn through it in 3-4 nights because they're relatively short and sweet.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

bloodychill posted:

A big part of the SNES ones and other games from the era like Chronotrigger and Mario RPG is you can be like "I'mma go play this FF4" and go just burn through it in 3-4 nights because they're relatively short and sweet.

SMRPG is just about the perfect length for a structured RPG, I think. As much as I love the first two Paper Marios, it's easy to stall out just short of the end in both of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I haven't played original SMRPG in years. Maybe I should. I'm excited to get to the three Zelda games I've never played, probably before the end of the year, at which point a fourth one will have released.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SMRPG will always be one of my favorite games ever. Everything about it is god drat perfect.

Heavy Lobster posted:

SMRPG is just about the perfect length for a structured RPG, I think. As much as I love the first two Paper Marios, it's easy to stall out just short of the end in both of them.

I played through 99% of thousand year door and burned out literally just before the final boss. gently caress that game is long but it's hella good and better than anything else from the franchise released since. I should see if I can find a copy of it somewhere but chances are it costs like a billion dollars by now :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So how many bits do you think the NX will have?

HOW MANY BITS?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I believe we're due for 1024 bits

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Broseph Brostar posted:

I believe we're due for 1024 bits

That is not enough bits to render life-like living anime, my friend.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
They will be 1gbit

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
This July I'll be playing the 2 games that matter: Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Talking of RPGs, I'm also starting a game of Final Fantasy Tactics which I've never beaten before and I need to get back on Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which version of fft? the one for psp runs spell animation at like 1/3rd speed and its a real killer.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm playing the PSX one. It runs at the right speed and also has the translation that isn't unbearable.

e: I think the PSP one also had the problem where instead of fixing the aspect ratio to match the PSP's widescreen, they just stretched it until it was 16:9.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why hasn't super mario RPG been remade for the 3DS yet

WHYYYYYYY

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well...SE finally caved and remade FF7, so.......

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shinjobi posted:

Well...SE finally caved and remade FF7, so.......

pretty sure Nintendo owns 100% of SMRPG that isn't the music used during the Culex dialog/battle.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I am going to be "playing" MGS4 and Persona 4: Golden all weekend.

MGS4 because I must always play Metal Gear

Persona 4: Golden because I got back into it after 15 hours and my save got corrupted (and I didn't back it up to the cloud) after 20 - I now have to rewatch 6 hours of mostly exposition. The game finally fully clicked too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mak0rz posted:

pretty sure Nintendo owns 100% of SMRPG that isn't the music used during the Culex dialog/battle.

.....oh.:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NNick posted:

Persona 4: Golden because I got back into it after 15 hours and my save got corrupted (and I didn't back it up to the cloud) after 20 - I now have to rewatch 6 hours of mostly exposition.

I think you can just tape down the Triangle button and get through the 6 hour opening in about... well, probably 4 hours :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NNick posted:

I am going to be "playing" MGS4 and Persona 4: Golden all weekend.

MGS4 because I must always play Metal Gear

Persona 4: Golden because I got back into it after 15 hours and my save got corrupted (and I didn't back it up to the cloud) after 20 - I now have to rewatch 6 hours of mostly exposition. The game finally fully clicked too.

press the start button on everything and it'll zoom through it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Supposedly Square owns the rights to Geno and Mallow, but actually confirming any info related to SMRPG IP rights is basically impossible.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Supposedly Square owns the rights to Geno and Mallow, but actually confirming any info related to SMRPG IP rights is basically impossible.

There was a Geno cameo in one of the Mario & Luigi games, necessitating a mention of SE in the credits, so I suppose they do.

e:

quote:

Regardless of the above-mentioned,
the copyright of Character "Geno",
reserved by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Playing borderlands 2 with a friend. Is it going to remain incredibly shallow?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I bring this up obnoxiously often whenever I get the chance, but when either the GBA or DS port of FFIV was being made, the original lead dev was involved and gave an interview with Nintendo Power where he basically explained that you can have your silly stories with amnesia and dragons and paladins and melodrama and space whales when you're working with very limited dialogue boxes and little sprites that jump up and down.

People will accept those limitations and fill in the blanks themselves, and they'll be able to bring themselves to empathize with characters like Galuf when he falls down and flashes.

But when you have lavish cutscenes trying to portray the same kinda story, the weak writing and the bad voice acting and the poorly composed cinematography all start to wear down on the player and disconnect them from the game world you're building, and the longer those scenes go on for, the more stupid your entire story starts to look, and the player doesn't feel the same connection as he did with the simpler game that worked within its own limits.

He said all this very diplomatically and without making GBS threads on anyone making modern JRPGs but I have never agreed so violently with an old man about video games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

well in that case I want to see geno in kh3

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Aren't they reusing sprites from SMRPG for that new Mario RPG x Paper Mario game?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

It's a loot game with friends just enjoy it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

When I shoot things with friends and collect shiny things I demand depth

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Borderlands 2 is the only game that gets shittier when you play with more friends

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

Borderlands 2 is the only game that gets shittier when you play with more friends

Thats one of the only ways to make it enjoyable what are you talking about

Perfect Dark got really lovely co-op and I think that game takes the cake for becoming functionally unplayable in Co op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Playing Borderlands alone is one of the saddest things this gamer can think of

• Locked thread