Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
July, and everyone is passed out due to a couple of hot sunny days and migrants disrespecting Are Rocks with their foreign tents.

:sun:

News

IDS has been caught scrounging.
The security services have been found spying on radical terrorists Amnesty International.
Schools are going to be legally obliged to stop radicalization by monitoring totally real keywords like #YODO.
And David Cameron continues in his quest to ban certain types of mathematics (Arabic numerals next? :ninja:).

Previous Threads

UKMT June 2015 Thread
UKMT May 2015 Thread (Election Extravaganza)
UKMT April 2015 Thread
UKMT March 2015 Thread
UKMT February 2015 Thread
UKMT January 2015 Thread

UK Pastime of Plutocrats (Pederasty) Thread

Scotpol Thread

Also trainchat

e:
Go count some butterflies or they will find you at night and lay eggs in you.

Junior G-man posted:

You guys should all take part in the Big Butterfly Count today or this weekend. It runs till the end of August.

Because butterflies (and moths :3: ) are awesome and need a hand. Also, better numbers = better science and more understanding.

Also, David Attenborough tells you to do so, and dare you refuse him? Because he will loving cut you.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Only 58 more threads until the next crushing defeat.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm as hot as young stalin

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

sleeping in a refrigerator

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

My girlfriend is suffering from the heat so much we dragged the mattress to the living room so we can sleep with the balcony door open. Also we live in London, so suck it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

can i move in?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Who else got the lightning last night? Hoooooly shiiiiiiit

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Our dog got super stressed out and ran laps of the bedroom with occasional breaks to hide under the bed. Between that and the heat I got maybe three hours of sleep.

On an early train to Leeds now, hope I don't fall asleep in a meeting with my department head! :thumbsup:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

quote:

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Can't remember seeing you post in a while but if you're reading are you still looking for work Seaside Loafer?
Found one thank god, into 8th week. Thanks for thinking of me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

He's not mentioning that they only had to drag the mattress three feet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Newspapers should stop using Fahrenheit even if it is a bigger number

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Personally I prefer Fahrenheit for weather.

The whole purpose of decimalization was supposed to be that it's a lot easier for people to work from 0 to 10 or 0 to 100 than it is to work from series of odd multipliers like 21 shillings in a guinea or 1760 yards in a mile or whatever.

The hottest it ever gets in the UK, in the South in the middle of summer, is usually somewhere in the ballpark of 100F (38C).
The coldest it ever gets in the UK, in the Scottish islands in midwinter, is usually around 0F (-18C).

So (almost) all UK temperatures fall on a scale of 0 (really loving cold) to 100 (really loving hot), and I can tell that 50 is about the point where you start putting a coat on.

Conversely, the Celsius scale runs from 0 (a mild winter's day) to 100 (all human life is dead). So to make it vaguely applicable to British weather you have to use a scale of -18 to 38, which makes the wet and dry imperial volume scale seem like a sane system of measurement.

(I have no problem using Celsius for science, engineering, or cooking, but it comes across less intuitive when it comes to throwing on a coat or not.)

I fully agree that the Express is doing it for sensationalism though, because they will switch back to Celsius in Autumn to complain about how cold it is.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I have no idea what the difference between 50 and 60 fahrenheit is so that'd be useless for me. All I know is that 100F is hot, much as over 30C is hot.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Celsius is more useful for weather because it makes it easier to tell when the roads will be icy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
0 being the temperature the roads start to get icy is useful.

edit: gently caress you phoon

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Guavanaut posted:

lol okay grandpa

no-one who isn't a scientist does calculations w/ temperature, so it could have a range of 7 to 23 and it wouldn't make a jot of difference. you don't know when to put a coat on because 50F is 50% of the way to 100F, you know when to put a coat on b/c you've previously learnt that <50ish means you'll want to wear a coat

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 2, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Pffft, we'll have only SI units here. Kelvin or bust!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The whole purpose of decimalization was supposed to be that it's a lot easier for people to work from 0 to 10 or 0 to 100 than it is to work from series of odd multipliers like 21 shillings in a guinea or 1760 yards in a mile or whatever.

The hottest it ever gets in the UK, in the South in the middle of summer, is usually somewhere in the ballpark of 100F (38C).
The coldest it ever gets in the UK, in the Scottish islands in midwinter, is usually around 0F (-18C).

So (almost) all UK temperatures fall on a scale of 0 (really loving cold) to 100 (really loving hot), and I can tell that 50 is about the point where you start putting a coat on.

Conversely, the Celsius scale runs from 0 (a mild winter's day) to 100 (all human life is dead). So to make it vaguely applicable to British weather you have to use a scale of -18 to 38, which makes the wet and dry imperial volume scale seem like a sane system of measurement.

(I have no problem using Celsius for science, engineering, or cooking, but it comes across less intuitive when it comes to throwing on a coat or not.)

I fully agree that the Express is doing it for sensationalism though, because they will switch back to Celsius in Autumn to complain about how cold it is.

This is wrong for a number of reasons. But mainly it gets coldest in the Scottish Highlands, not the islands. The islands are coastal & all very low (except the Cullin range on Skye): things at sealevel are warmer than things at 600m, also include the generally mild effect of the Gulf Stream which stops the weather ever getting too cold or too hot for long, and that has more impacted on the west coast where all the islands are than the middle of the country, and that's why Braemar is on average colder than Lerwick despite being 370km further south.

Also, use Celsius because unless you're someone granddad you learnt to use Celsius in school and you should know that in 8C weather you need a coat but in 15C weather you should be fine. It's not exactly hard, that's why you learn it in Primary School.

And the Express is doing it because the average age of an Express reader is 75.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Celsius is easier because humans are bad at bigger numbers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, wherever it is that it gets coldest, the coldest it gets is generally around 0. The scale was designed for that purpose (Danish meteorology, but it works well enough in Britain). It's a bit strange that they regularly use it in the US, where temperatures often go above 100 or below 0, but v:shobon:v

Dabir posted:

Apparently they're even worse at negative numbers.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cool-cash-card-confusion-1009701

e: vvvvv

SurrealityCheck posted:

I don't have any intuitive associations with fahrenheit numbers so I find them tedious.
I guess that's what it really comes down to. Fortunately we live in an age where if someone really wants their weather in Kelvin or Rankine or Réaumur then they can do that on their smartphone, so it's no big deal anyway. It'd be fun to move it all to Kelvin like LemonDrizzle said.

e2:

forkboy84 posted:

The Express, like the Mail, will use whatever sounds more dramatic. In summer it's "Killer Heat Blasts 100F Britain", in winter it's "Killer FREEZE on way: Health chiefs warn of risk to life as arctic gales to feel like -13C". Whatever number looks more worth shouting about, even if they have to switch scales and include windchill.

I'm looking forward to them using binary so they can complain about the 1001101101000110000 migrants that came to the UK.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 2, 2015

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I don't have any intuitive associations with fahrenheit numbers so I find them tedious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

This is wrong for a number of reasons. But mainly it gets coldest in the Scottish Highlands, not the islands. The islands are coastal & all very low (except the Cullin range on Skye): things at sealevel are warmer than things at 600m, also include the generally mild effect of the Gulf Stream which stops the weather ever getting too cold or too hot for long, and that has more impacted on the west coast where all the islands are than the middle of the country, and that's why Braemar is on average colder than Lerwick despite being 370km further south.
Yep, I've been in the Outer Hebrides at a New Year and I've been in the Cairngorms at New Year and the islands are pleasantly balmy by comparison. The Cairn Gorm Plateau in winter must be the spot in the UK most consistently hostile to human life (outside of Luton).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

SurrealityCheck posted:

It's like when Americans talk about their weight in pounds and you have to divide by 14 to get a handle on what they're talking about.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dabir posted:

Nobody under 35 knows farenheit and the Express is definitely showing who their newspaper is aimed at with that cover.

Farenheit is one of those things that confuses me somewhat in US TV shows. Kinda like when they speak about their age as kids in "grades" instead of the actual age.

Yes you can go and look it up but it's annoying having to do it every single time.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 2, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paul.Power posted:

It's like when Americans talk about their weight in pounds and you have to divide by 14 to get a handle on what they're talking about.
Itym divide by 2.2 :v:

LemonDrizzle posted:

Pffft, we'll have only SI units here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Taear posted:

Kinda like when they speak about their age as kids in "grades" instead of the actual age.

Yes you can go and look it up but it's annoying having to do it every single time.

But their grades are pretty much directly equivalent to Year <x> in our schools?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Year <x> having pupils of the same age is not consistent across all of the UK

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Is that in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jedit posted:

Depends whether you're talking about physical age or mental.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Depends what time of year it is.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Taear posted:

Students typically finish any given grade x at age = x + 6. A fair number are a year younger, but exactly how many depends on the school board. In my experience in Canada it was about a quarter of us. There's also generally a few who are a year older, usually because they were held back.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

a cool 12 degrees today, now this i can handle

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

weird toppings guy posted:

a cool 12 degrees today, now this i can handle

It's still 25 in London :(

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's 27 up here in the icy north. Trying to find a beergarden with a telly for the fitbaw tonight.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Edinburgh got cool and stormy around 1am last night: http://edinburgh.stv.tv/articles/1323953-after-the-storm-the-best-edinburgh-lightning-photos-and-videos/

Also, what is all this talk of wearing coats? Poncy southern pansies

Acaila fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 2, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Aside from the simple facts that Fahrenheit is very stupid and most of the people who are used to it are dead or dying, it's the Americans' now and I wouldn't be caught dead with it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I find it hard to think of weather as a temperature, it's either too hot or too cold or a bit nippy or not too bad. Oven temperature and people temperature I don't have a problem with in either Celsius or Fahrenheit but when I was looking at holidays abroad I had to google to work out whether 20 degrees is sunbathing weather.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I was awake during this and it actually got stupid scary at times, there was so much lightning and the thunder was so loud it sounded like something had exploded in the room with me. I'm not normally afraid of storms at all, but this one was pretty spectacular.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it just me, or are a lot more kids/teens being dragged in for nebulously defined 'terror offences' now?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33368286

That's just one from today, but there's been a few over the past months, including a pair of kids from the North-East. I've never seen any followup from them.

It seems to be linked in to schools being made legally responsible for 'preventing radicalization', but with 'terror offences' being so broadly defined and not seeing any outcome from these cases I'm not really sure what to make of it, other than that actual children being branded terrorists and popular (vocal) opinion being that they need to be punished is disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

It was by far the coolest storm I've ever seen. Our poor cats were out in it, though :( They came back in about 2am whiny and wet.

• Locked thread