Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Pfff, nuance is for communists.

Some old aristocrat blowhard was being phone-interviewed on Radio 5 the other day, and tried to draw parallels of Communist sympathisers of the past (because they don't exist any more apparently) with people who go off to join ISIL as "romanticising" anti-Western models. It was like the answer was right there in front of him, and then smashed it away in favour of marginalising the weak and poor even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

winegums posted:

Had a quick flick through his website's comments (what is up with his website design by the way? It looks like the bastard child of Fox News and baby's first geocities page). The sort of people who comment on it look like complete and utter dicks, perhaps not too representative of the population at large.

Guido is the UK equivalent to Freep, it's exactly the same poo poo from the same type of hateful spiteful man-children. I've often thought it would make a good candidate for a thread.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

winegums posted:

Corbyn did well last night...came across as thoughtful and intelligent, like he's actually thought about the issues for more than ten minutes.

Yes, I thought so too. Shame he didn't seem to get much airtime in the second half of the debate - I always find myself wanting to hear more of his opinions.

OwlFancier posted:

The police have an unpleasant tendency towards obfuscation when it comes to inappropriate conduct on their part, that should not be the case. If they cannot trust their members to behave in a way which would pass muster if it were always visible, they shouldn't be doing their jobs.

This I completely agree with.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

coffeetable posted:

Might be useful next time you're considering changing services: telecoms complaints data

Fixed broadband complaints per 1,000 customers

I'm with Virgin, and have been since it was Telewest, Blueyonder and NTL - I've had about 3 outages since I got it, in about 2004 - I actually get the 50Mb I'm paying for and I don't have to pay a Line Rental charge.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prince John posted:

Yes, I thought so too. Shame he didn't seem to get much airtime in the second half of the debate - I always find myself wanting to hear more of his opinions.
Man there was a whole lot of 'something must be done, this is something therefore we must do it' in that. The points Shappi and Corbyn were making about thinking it ALL the way through and accepting some responsibility for our own actions in causing these problems were so good and so many people including loving Jeremy Hunt didn't seem to be thinking beyond 'blow up the people with the actual guns'.

Because there's no way their children will then be taught by their grandparents to hate the western shitheads who came and martyred daddy.

e: also, if we pick on everyone who acts like they hate homosexuality, we'd have to report basically everyone in my all-boys' secondary school. Gayness was incredibly stigmatised and hated.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 3, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/03/inheritance-tax-giveaway-welfare-cuts-budget-conservatives-george-osborne

No shame at all

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I wonder if he thinks of himself as a noble eugenicist when he reads stuff like this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I wonder if he thinks of himself as a nob
Well, those are my thoughts about him.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
It shows how completely ideologically driven they really are. They'll talk about economic responsibility, tightening belts and tough decisions when it suits them, but £1bn for people who've already done pretty well for themselves? They've definitely earned it! Meanwhile, we need to cut 12bn from welfare, without any idea where from or even working out if it's realistically possible, because deficit... Nothing to do with the affect it'll have on people, just a desire to see certain numbers go down and the state shrunk.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also, gotta punish those dirty fuckers who miss their GP appointments, never mind that you usually have to wait two weeks to a month to get one by which time it's either got better, or got worse enough that you need to go to some form of urgent care centre anyway so why bother turning up, never mind saying how you actually intend a GP's office to hunt them down and collect money from them for missing it in the first place.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, gotta punish those dirty fuckers who miss their GP appointments, never mind that you usually have to wait two weeks to a month to get one by which time it's either got better, or got worse enough that you need to go to some form of urgent care centre anyway so why bother turning up, never mind saying how you actually intend a GP's office to hunt them down and collect money from them for missing it in the first place.

You could just call the GP and say you don't need the appointment any more. Waste of the GP's time aside, it's basic politeness dude. Crappy waiting times could be reduced if it wasn't for people failing to show up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anyone else loving this storm right now? poo poo's intense.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Anyone else loving this storm right now? poo poo's intense.
Yup. The plastic cover outside Firebug is showing inventive new ways to leak.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Not that I don't think he's a poo poo, but the article says that the IHT threshhold change is being fully funded by reducing the tax relief the rich get on their pension contributions. He's taking from the rich to give to the property owning middle-class. It's not quite as binary as the headlines suggest, as it's unrelated to the welfare cuts.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prince John posted:

Not that I don't think he's a poo poo, but the article says that the IHT threshhold change is being fully funded by reducing the tax relief the rich get on their pension contributions. He's taking from the rich to give to the property owning middle-class. It's not quite as binary as the headlines suggest, as it's unrelated to the welfare cuts.

Yeah, I mean I think it's a stupid change - because the only reason it's happening is because house prices are bananas, and this will probably encourage some people to buy expensive homes - but it's pretty low-rent in terms of Tory evilness.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Renfield posted:

I'm with Virgin, and have been since it was Telewest, Blueyonder and NTL - I've had about 3 outages since I got it, in about 2004 - I actually get the 50Mb I'm paying for and I don't have to pay a Line Rental charge.

You'll find that a lot of complaints for most providers are stupid specific poo poo anyway. Like if you're on booking.com and you go to reviews of a place and there's one person who says the towels smell funny - that's the person calling Virgin to complain. I'm not saying that all of them are like that, but for the most part the millions of customers for the entertainment companies are just sat at home watching it.

I know EE had a spate of signing people up for their TV service and promising to cancel the service of other providers as well as giving other impossible promises so that's probably why theirs is so high.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 4, 2015

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010

Prince John posted:

Sure and the pensions change seems like an alright move to me, although I haven't read too much into it. But in the context of cutting to reduce the deficit, why reinvest the money saved into something that mostly seems to benefit reasonably well off people (I realise it isn't just going to benefit people with £1m houses but it seems like they'll be benefiting the most out of this)? Or even use it as a reason to not need to cut so much from other areas e.g. welfare?

Mr N fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, you earn your inheritance less than you earn benefits.

So if we're all for promoting something for something, why do we like inheritance again?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Prince John posted:

He could take from the rich and reduce the burden of welfare cuts instead. Doing these thing at the same time will invite comparison, and the result is Gideon is seen to be an evil gently caress who wants to keep middle class people well off while screwing the poor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Also, you earn your inheritance less than you earn benefits.

So if we're all for promoting something for something, why do we like inheritance again?

Because we are inheriting and we don't need benefits. FCVO "we" which includes Tories, that is.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mr N posted:

Or even use it as a reason to not need to cut some much from other areas e.g. welfare?

The underclass have nobody but themselves to blame for their situation and they do not deserve any help. They will never make anything of themselves of their own volition. Unemployment must be made a living hell so as to discipline these layabouts to venerate employment, however miserably paid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://store.steampowered.com/app/369580/

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 4, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

winegums posted:

He could take from the rich and reduce the burden of welfare cuts instead. Doing these thing at the same time will invite comparison, and the result is Gideon is seen to be an evil gently caress who wants to keep middle class people well off while screwing the poor.

Sure, although he's just being a politician and giving something to the proverbial 'squeezed middle' who got him elected.

Don't think I saw this posted, but the smart meters being foisted on us will now cost as much as trident.

quote:

Smart meters will cost as much as the Trident nuclear deterrent to implement, with the full cost of the scheme rising to £19bn, according to a government report.

Total lifetime costs of the programme have now risen by £2bn since 2013, according to a report by the Major Projects Authority.

In contrast, the Trident replacement programme is estimated to cost between £17.5bn and £23.4bn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Don't think I saw this posted, but the smart meters being foisted on us will now cost as much as trident.
Yeah, but you can't use Trident against your own people.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Prince John posted:

Sure, although he's just being a politician and giving something to the proverbial 'squeezed middle' who got him elected.

lmao why is the register so pissed off about smart meters

like all they are is a GSM radio attached to a your existing electric meter

saves me from opening up the closet w/ meters

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

and u get a nifty usage monitor. save electricty collect money

reminder to switch your supplier to a fixed plan to save £££

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

and u get a nifty usage monitor. save electricty collect money

reminder to switch your supplier to a fixed plan to save £££

I thought it was because you're going to be forced to pay for them and they're hilariously insecure?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Prince John posted:

I thought it was because you're going to be forced to pay for them and they're hilariously insecure?

like in a minor per kWh surcharge?

how exactly are they insecure is jonny terrorist gonna go around and gently caress w/ peoples electricity bills

it's the scada plants that are worse

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

That and they're supposedly phase 1 of a plan to ensure power is adequate for critical infrastructure (under a competent government) or cut off the proles at peak times while people who can afford Electricity Plus get a guaranteed supply (under the responsible government of austerity and getting on).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
No need for the Black Maria

Goodbye to the brixton sun

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

quote:

Repeatedly smash David Cameron into a wall... the most satisfying game mechanic ever created
PCGamerN

I get to have satisfying joy smashing Cameron into a wall and all my money goes to charity. Sold.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Extreme0 posted:

smashing Cameron into a wall

Extreme0 posted:

money goes to charity

But which would Cameron be least happy about

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

KKKlean Energy posted:

But which would Cameron be least happy about

Tories love charity, it fills the void created by removing state-funded services!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
And because it's Charity, the dirty, unwashed, undeserving poors should feel grateful, not entitled

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You can also get people to do it badly for free when otherwise you'd have to get trained professionals to do it!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Renfield posted:

And because it's Charity, the dirty, unwashed, undeserving poors should feel grateful, not entitled

Gonzo McFee posted:

You can also get people to do it badly for free when otherwise you'd have to get trained professionals to do it!

This is not the place for a discussion of goons' sex lives.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

like in a minor per kWh surcharge?

how exactly are they insecure is jonny terrorist gonna go around and gently caress w/ peoples electricity bills

A major per kWh surcharge - it will cost every household £215, even if you opt out.

moneysupermarket.com posted:

The Public Accounts Committee has recently calculated the cost to be £43 a year over five years, a total of £215 for every household.

If you opt not to have a smart meter, your bills will NOT be lowered as a result. There will be no explicit entry on energy bills accounting for the cost of smart meters.

I can't remember the specifics about security - but it was the usual unencrypted traffic, ability for someone to easily tamper with your metre, possibility of spying on your energy usage (e.g. seeing if you're away for an extended period) and the general unease about having inadequately secured household appliances connected to the internet.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Christ, the England Vs. Germany game is taking a while, is it the law that every game we do goes to penalties?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Prince John posted:

A major per kWh surcharge - it will cost every household £215, even if you opt out.

I can't remember the specifics about security - but it was the usual unencrypted traffic, ability for someone to easily tamper with your metre, possibility of spying on your energy usage (e.g. seeing if you're away for an extended period) and the general unease about having inadequately secured household appliances connected to the internet.

ehh just swap to an cheapass supplier and you'll save more than £43 a year

i mean i pay for ~~~green~~~ energy and its cheaper than the variable poo poo i had before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

ehh just swap to an cheapass supplier and you'll save more than £43 a year

i mean i pay for ~~~green~~~ energy and its cheaper than the variable poo poo i had before

also you need some fairly expensive equipment to intercept comms (SDR is cool but not cheap) and if you have physical access i mean that hasn't stopped crooks

not having to give meter readings, now that's a plus.

• Locked thread