Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Not So Fast posted:

Christ, the England Vs. Germany game is taking a while, is it the law that every game we do goes to penalties?

It was the one German condition we accepted at Rheims in 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Malcolm XML posted:

also you need some fairly expensive equipment to intercept comms (SDR is cool but not cheap)
A lot of low frequency SDR stuff can be replicated with a £15 digital TV dongle now. I'm not sure if smart meters are included in that, but aviation and shipping data definitely are.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm glad that the compulsory internet of things is coinciding with Mr. Cameron's plans to ban cryptography.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, but you can't use Trident against your own people.

If you can most certainly use Trident against your own people if you're bloodthirsty enough, have you never listened to kill the poor by The Dead Kennedys?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

If you can most certainly use Trident against your own people if you're bloodthirsty enough, have you never listened to kill the poor by The Dead Kennedys?
I'd imagine (or hope) that the mere suggestion would be enough to collapse governments in the real world. The biggest reason that South Africa is the only nation to completely abandon its nuclear program was due to the rumors that they were partly intended for domestic or regional use in the event of a civil war.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

ehh just swap to an cheapass supplier and you'll save more than £43 a year

i mean i pay for ~~~green~~~ energy and its cheaper than the variable poo poo i had before

Or we could not have smart meters and then the cheapass supplier would be even cheaper?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is worth a watch imo just to see how many nukes have been blown up since they were first developed. Its a bit long though and doesn't really kick off until the 60s. The US loved testing bombs in the nevada desert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Along a similar line, 315 years of slave ships in 2 minutes.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Edit: ^^ Holy poo poo.

feedmegin posted:

Or we could not have smart meters and then the cheapass supplier would be even cheaper?

Not to mention that it's £215 taken from the population in pretty much the most regressive way possible.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's some huge loving denial right there. "See! See! Other people were at it much more than we were!"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Yank here, holy moley. :stare:

1 slave is one too many when he is forcible seized and transported across an ocean to a strange land and poo poo but jesus.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 5, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

"The Graun posted:

The home secretary’s own expert drug advisers have said her bill introducing a blanket ban on “legal highs” risks “serious unintended consequences” and is unenforceable unless it is completely rewritten.

The advisory council on the misuse of drugs (ACMD) has written to Theresa May telling her that her legislation risks handing out seven-year prison sentences to the sellers of benign or even helpful herbal medicines, criminalising otherwise law-abiding young people and making the “directors” of pubs, clubs and even prisons liable for prosecution.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"There's an asian guy with wires coming out of his backpack"

Britain in 2015. :suicide:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Seen on facebook under a large picture of a bacon butty:

quote:

I am English and love a bacon butty. Share this picture if you do and don't care what religion it upsets.

You go, lads! That'll show them Muslims! Yeah, that'll stop their constant efforts to ban pig meat that they have embarked on!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao it's like we looked at how successful the USA has been and decided that's a model to follow.

Edit: poo poo, didn't mean to quote that face.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mister Adequate posted:

You go, lads! That'll show them Muslims! Yeah, that'll stop their constant efforts to ban pig meat that they have embarked on!

I work with a few Muslims and if their wife ever found out she'd kill them but every lunch time when we go to get something to eat they pick whatever they can get with bacon and look really guilty.

I like to imagine that while they're at work their wives are eating bacon butties at home too.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I suppose we should be thankful that there's a percentage of racists who never get more bold than feeling a bit rebellious when they eat a bacon sandwich and muttering "Take that, nanny state" but I wish they'd gently caress off bragging about it on the internet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here we go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33400935 posted:

Commenting on the likelihood of national newspapers moving purely online in the next decade, he said: "You wouldn't want the BBC to crowd out national newspapers."

Of course you wouldn't George, because it's definitely in your own interest if the biggest sources of news are ones that you can influence to support your objectives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I work with a few Muslims and if their wife ever found out she'd kill them but every lunch time when we go to get something to eat they pick whatever they can get with bacon and look really guilty.

I like to imagine that while they're at work their wives are eating bacon butties at home too.

My grandmother used to get that when she worked at a cafe as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Fortunately the Lords are busy trying to deliberately tank it with a series of amendments that will decriminalize all drugs for personal use, introduce medicinal cannabis prescriptions, and mandate that the government has to license premises for the supply of at least one stimulant, sedative, and hallucinogenic that has been found to be relatively safe.

I hope they do similar to make the encryption bill completely unpalatable to pass, like:
http://newsthump.com/2015/07/04/geordie-accent-to-be-banned-under-new-data-encryption-laws/

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd love to live in a world where herbal teas are illegal but weed isn't, for a small while at least.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guavanaut posted:

Fortunately the Lords are busy trying to deliberately tank it with a series of amendments that will decriminalize all drugs for personal use, introduce medicinal cannabis prescriptions, and mandate that the government has to license premises for the supply of at least one stimulant, sedative, and hallucinogenic that has been found to be relatively safe.

First time I saw of their amendments I burst out laughing.
They had quite a bit of fun, didnt they?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I hope they do similar to make the encryption bill completely unpalatable to pass, like:
http://newsthump.com/2015/07/04/geordie-accent-to-be-banned-under-new-data-encryption-laws/

Bizarre that we live in a country where the elected representatives are more out of touch and mental than a group of unelected geriatrics who only turn up for a day out and some pocket money.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bizarre that we live in a country where the elected representatives are more out of touch and mental than a group of unelected geriatrics who only turn up for a day out and some pocket money.
£300+ a day last I heard. Our boss used to give his pay for being a Lord to the department to buy books with, but he doesn't attend any more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Full Gerontocracy Now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well, we all want Corbyn in charge so

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Whether their attendance allowances are set at the right level or not, it's nonetheless the case that the Lords is relatively cheap to run - the figures are a couple of years old but even though there's a third as many again Lords as MPs, the total cost of running the House of Lords is less than a quarter that of the Commons. MPs spend more on expenses alone than the entirety of the spending on the Lords.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 5, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

loving MPs expenses bugs the poo poo out of me. Why on earth we don't provide housing in London for our MPs so they don't need to claim for second homes, I honestly don't know. Oh wait, no, it's because the people who would have to make the rules to make it happen would be the MPs and it's distinctly not in their interests to change what appears to be a pretty corrupt, easily-fiddled system which benefits them greatly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

loving MPs expenses bugs the poo poo out of me. Why on earth we don't provide housing in London for our MPs so they don't need to claim for second homes, I honestly don't know. Oh wait, no, it's because the people who would have to make the rules to make it happen would be the MPs and it's distinctly not in their interests to change what appears to be a pretty corrupt, easily-fiddled system which benefits them greatly.
They could save a lot of money by putting the whole thing outside of London.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

thespaceinvader posted:

I think the last time this came up the consensus was that it would be a security nightmare.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crashbee posted:

I think the last time this came up the consensus was that it would be a security nightmare.
Just get a doorman to stop any kids going in and it'd be fine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mummy, why is that man wearing a liquorice allsort on his head?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Surprised you are not all proclaiming to be singing the Red Flag given the news this afternoon that Corbyn has secured the backing of Unite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33402438

quote:

Britain's biggest trade union Unite is backing veteran left-winger Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader.

The union's executive committee voted to lend its support to Mr Corbyn, with Andy Burnham as its second preference.

The union, which is Labour's biggest financial backer, supported Ed Miliband in the 2010 Labour leadership contest.

The unions will have less influence on this year's contest because the party has moved to a "one member one vote" system for choosing its leader.

Corbyn actually stands a chance of doing it now, still a slim as hell chance but still better than where he was.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ukle posted:

Surprised you are not all proclaiming to be singing the Red Flag given the news this afternoon that Corbyn has secured the backing of Unite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33402438

Corbyn actually stands a chance of doing it now, still a slim as hell chance but still better than where he was.

I've been singing it in my end ever since he was confirmed as having enough parliamentary support to be standing. I just go for witless optimism now from as early as I can, even if it means the end result is a gut punch as big as the one felt on the 8th May.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Crashbee posted:

An alternative would be for government to buy 650 houses in London and just give members a house to live in each from the list rent-free. Avoids the issue of all members living in one bomb-magnet.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And the Guardian is talking about how if Labour want to win they're going to have to nominate the one that sounds the most like a tory. Will never understand the thought process behind "We must defeat the tories by copying the tories until we're indistinguishable."

If Corbyn wins and doesn't become an Ed Miliband I will vote labour in the next general election :toxx:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Crashbee posted:

Because Parliament isn't already? Because the city of London isn't already generally? I dunno, I'm not really qualified to comment. It just feels like there must be some better solution than what we have currently where despite a MASSIVE scandal less than a decade ago, high-ranking MPs are still getting in trouble for fiddling their expenses. I mean, in the grand scheme of the country's budget it's a tiny issue, but it speaks to a bigger overall issue of parliamentary reform.

Guavanaut posted:

They could save a lot of money by putting the whole thing outside of London.

This too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Crashbee posted:

I'd quite like to see an update of the medieval system where the king, the Court and key officials spent half the year in procession around the kingdom, stopping off here, there & everywhere to show their faces and dispense justice.

A roving Parliament would be pretty cool.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

forkboy84 posted:

I've been singing it in my end ever since he was confirmed as having enough parliamentary support to be standing. I just go for witless optimism now from as early as I can, even if it means the end result is a gut punch as big as the one felt on the 8th May.

My 2 cents:

Jeremy Corbyn: candidate of my heart: he's a good chap :3
Yvette Cooper: candidate of my head: she's tough, clever, experienced and seems to handle pressure well.
Andy Burnham: the grey, generic guy who just wants to be leader.
Liz Kendall: the Apprentice candidate. "I just KNOW I can do this, Sir Alan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Solve security issues by making MPs sleep in the nuclear bunker beneath Downing street.

• Locked thread