Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Here's a quote from the news that everybody can enjoy!

quote:

The measure to reduce the benefits cap to £20,000 outside the South East would save tens of millions - a relatively small amount of money, according to the IFS.

However, Chancellor George Osborne is said to see it as a key political message, showing that the government is tough on welfare costs.

Tories. Tories never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Extreme0 posted:

smashing Cameron into a wall

Extreme0 posted:

money goes to charity

But which would Cameron be least happy about

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

We might disapprove of Hitler's cross-contintental genocides/wars but the man flattened Coventry and you can never take that away from him.

Yeah and look what happened it came back worse, like an ugly Phoenix

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
At this rate I'd settle for a Hint of Communism

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dakha posted:

Rather than closing down the underground and annoying most of London, I don't understand why striking staff don't just open the barriers and let people ride for free. It's still something that TFL would want to stop, but keeps the public onside at the same time.

You might be interested in the concept of the "virtual strike", though it seems wikipedia doesn't have an article about it. It would require changes to legislation concerning industrial action, but effectively it means workers don't get paid and the employers don't get paid either (no profit/revenue), but everything works as normal so the public aren't inconvenienced.

I'm guessing it would only apply to public services though - can't really see how a virtual strike would apply to, say, a private factory or a supermarket.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone must live in holes in the ground, but only if they're naturally occurring or if you dug them with your own bare hands.

Why should a hole in the ground belong to a person simply because that person found it first? He expended no effort to find it, he was merely born in the right place at the right time. All the world's holes are the birthright of all the world's people, and they should be distributed equitably and fairly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The meek shall inherit the earth, from the landowners who will all die in suspicious circumstances

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Extreme0 posted:

Hey, the first time that The National Front Page isn't a lovely photoshop.

Why does an outline of Scotland replace the letter "I"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Labour pressure group urges vote against Jeremy Corbyn

quote:

A Labour pressure group has asked party members to vote against Jeremy Corbyn in the leadership contest.

Labour First said Mr Corbyn - who is seen as the most left-wing candidate in the race - would "destroy Labour's chances of electability".

The group has urged members to vote for other candidates to prevent Mr Corbyn winning Constituency Labour Party nominations, known as CLPs.

The other leadership hopefuls are Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.

CLP nominations have no bearing on the leadership election result, which is decided by the individual votes of party members and supporters, but they are an indicator of the level of support for each candidate.

In a newsletter emailed to members, Labour First said there was support for the three other leadership contenders.

Group secretary Luke Akehurst said: "We clearly do not share Jeremy Corbyn's politics and believe these would destroy Labour's chances of electability.

"We would therefore encourage supporters of Andy, Yvette and Liz to transfer votes to each other at CLP nomination meetings so that as few CLPs as possible make supporting nominations for Jeremy."

Constituency Labour parties have until 31 July to make nominations for a candidate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
For those of you arguing "we need more kids to pay our retirees' pensions", what exactly do you imagine is the endgame in that scenario? Those kids are going to need pensions too at some point, and it takes more than one kid to pay one pension. I'm not seeing any sustainability in that system; either retirees are going to have to see a reduced quality of life (inc. retiring later), or we will have to hope for a technological miracle, or we make plans for infinite people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

You're right. The only logical conclusion is that we stop having children altogether.

I'm not sure that's the answer either!

LemonDrizzle posted:

We gradually transition to a fully funded pension system where each generation sets aside enough wealth over their working life to pay for their own retirement rather than our current pay-as-you-go system where the current working generation pays for the previous generation's retirement.

This I can get behind, is there anywhere I can read about this in more detail?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The family unit is an outdated institution and not up to the needs of a modern economy. I say all kids should be rehomed to state-owned facilities where they will be brought up under the loving care of the Department of Parenting

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

IDS is the worst human

I bet he would feel right at home wearing a top hat and strolling around his textiles factory, occasionally pulling out a pocket watch to see if his workers were changing cotton bobbins fast enough to be worthy of his splendid employment

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Whenever I try making hash browns they turn into a stodgy mess of burnt greasy goo

Congrats you have successfully made a hash brown

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I roll my sandwich up into a ball and eat it like an apple

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I like to imagine the picture goes with that headline.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

nick clegg speaks like three languages fluently

Three languages and two faces to speak them out of, that's pretty impressive

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Be aware that you will get spammed to death if you sign up as a registered labour supporter. Use a disposable email address, don't make my mistake :negative:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^ thankfully, Google is learning. It's all getting binned now

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Also you can unsubscribe from the mailing list of candidates you don't like lol.

I did this and kept notes on which lists I was unsubscribing from. The emails never stopped, if anything I got more emails (it's almost as if clicking unsubscribe was just confirming to them that my account was active and a prime target for spam!)

Taear posted:

Eh it's not that bad. I get maybe one a day?

I have very high standards for spam avoidance, 1 a day is utterly intolerable

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TinTower posted:

Looks like Labour are going to team up with the Tories

Stop the presses!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

Weed is organic

Yeah but proles like it, we can't have proles enjoying things when there's work to be done

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bozza posted:

I put smoked garlic through as a normal bulb the other day in the Morrison's self service.

gently caress da polis

If you're not putting everything through as onions you might as well put in an entry for your local police force's Model Citizen award.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

SO disappointed about the homeopathy quote from earlier though :negative:

Corbyn has been shown to be what we all suspected: History's Greatest Monster.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Gonna price the poor people out of their homes, who's going to clean the toilets and serve the food in the new London?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Democracy is the least poo poo safeguard against kleptocracy, eternal spoiler of all forms of government

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I notice that whenever there's a golden age anywhere it tends to be the people with gold or power who benefit, everyone without gold or power can go gently caress themselves

It's almost as if the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It might be the moral thing to do, but MAH JERBS

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Answers Me posted:

I thought charities got in trouble for being 'political' like this these days :smithicide:

What's political about it?

The study is no more political than the the very existence of the charity is political

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oberleutnant posted:

There's a (positive) article in the Evening Standard today about the NHS hiring financial consultants at £500 a day to "introduce efficiencies" and "keep the NHS healthy" lmbo.

That's pretty cheap for a financial consultant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

Poors vs. Zombies

I'm currently enjoying Candidate Crush, although a bit pricey at £3

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Prince John posted:

There is a pretty huge upside. It's the opportunity for a politician to 'speak' directly to thousands of people, without them having to visit your constituency surgery or hearing you through a newspaper or tv editorial filter.

How many people follow an MP that they don't already like and vote for? I'd assume most MPs are just tweeting to the choir.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

It's part of the 'other-abled' movement to stop describing people with disabilities as if they're downtrodden victims. It's a positivity movement. I think she's more cringing at his use of the turn of phrase than as a candidate.

Ahhh yes I've seen this before. They're not disabled, they're "differently abled". Instead of being unable to walk, they're able to pop wheelies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Unsolicited texts from my UKIP-voting, UKIP-campaigning mother:

quote:

[on welfare budget] at learst the snp stuck 2 there word but what about the labour voters might as well voted tory best get corbyn as their leader he is their only hope did i tell u i met him once he is a very serious sort of chap mom x

quote:

i am begining 2 like corbyn i was impressed with him when i met him but never thouht he would come this far but he is old not unlike michael foot if u have heard of him not 1 of thier best leaders especially when pitted against thatcher mom x

quote:

I never thought i would consider supporting the labour party but i really like this man particulary as he has said about blair as i told u he could not stand the wanker

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I think you meant to bold, and subsequently psyduck, this bit

quote:

his victory [in a democratic election] would be a “betrayal” of voters.

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Edit: Entirely unrelated but I just ate a piece of white kendal mint cake and it's absolutely delicious and how have I never eaten this before?

I know a couple of UKMT posters who.......

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

watercannoned with Tory piss and bollocks.

I'm now picturing one of those tennis ball machines, loaded with testicles and mounted on a police van

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Close but there needs to a be a migrant spilling the beer while running to the job centre, kids in tow. And the migrant is made of straw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

My first dentist was nice, my current (ex) dentist is a prat who's given me two bum fillings

I'm surprised you went back for a second one

• Locked thread