Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My dad only listens to classical music, its infuriating in the car because it ain't got no drums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I only listen to vuvuzela music exclusively. But I'm not a dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E6ljLSOkbY

*snaps fingers and shakes head passionately*

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Fonzarelli posted:

My dad only listens to classical music, its infuriating in the car because it ain't got no drums
Bolero has mucho :11tea:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Talking Heads are just a Patti Smith cover band anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're really just a black Devo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're Blondie, but their clothes aren't as nice.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frankenstyle posted:

I knew those guys personally, and they suck. Super especially that kiss rear end Picciotto. Fugazi is Cuntrock.

This runs counter to my own understanding of Mackaye being the worst.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
Dad rock is whatever your dad listened to when you grew up, so in my case its 50's Jazz and Japanese Language cassette tapes. It is probably different for you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nirvana is bad tho

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

nirvana is bad tho

O no u didn't

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

tardwrangler posted:

Name that dad. Hint: I saw him in Sydney 32 years ago

is that Jello Biafra?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can't wait to hang out with Brad Rock, the rock dad, and discuss why the best Surfer Rosa track is "Brick Is Red."

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

is that Jello Biafra?

Yes

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Jam don't shake like that.

e: made it wobble

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carlos Lantana fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 2, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Moridin920 posted:

who the gently caress are the Pixies

They're the people who play that song at the end of Fight Club.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Thunder Moose posted:

They're the people who play that song at the end of Fight Club.

They also did that song from Mr. Nobody.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

tardwrangler posted:

Jam don't shake like that.

Jello's more like weird uncle rock than dad rock. Love the guy to death but he's got to be on the spectrum somewhere.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can't wait to hang out with Brad Rock, the rock dad, and discuss why the best Surfer Rosa track is "Brick Is Red."

Actually it's river euphrates

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

radiatinglines posted:

Actually it's river euphrates

This man knows his Pixies!

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're Blondie, but their clothes aren't as nice.

So what you're trying to say is that they're like 60 Minutes on acid?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What about Sugar Ray

That's the most recent dad rock band I can think of

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

It won't be all that long before Kid Rock is dad rock, if he isn't already.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

CombineThresher posted:

Jello's more like weird uncle rock than dad rock. Love the guy to death but he's got to be on the spectrum somewhere.

Uncle Rick, who says "pussy" at the thanksgiving table and accidently on purpose leaves his stash behind in the rec room

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

lol dont be so insecure in what you listen to just listen to music you dumb fags

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fog Tripper posted:

I honestly believe that bands like Talking Heads were never actually liked by consumers, but were rather played as though they were in an attempt by big radio to make our collective tastes in music more open to even more sucky music over the years. There is SO much bad music these days, so that supports my theory.

Prove my theory wrong. Also: Nickleback.

Talking Heads own.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

corpuscollossus posted:

Fugazi maybe, but that depends on what the definition of is is.

I am trying to figure out how someone could draw the conclusion that Fugazi is Dadrock.

I mean, for one thing, they aren't exactly the best band to drink a few beers to.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

i like talking heads

also joy division and the chameleons, because i'm a huge sadbrain

and king crimson because i have autism

hth

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what about dad rap?

i gotta think wu tang is #1 dad rap for white people

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Frankenstyle posted:

I knew those guys personally, and they suck. Super especially that kiss rear end Picciotto. Fugazi is Cuntrock.

story time

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I am trying to figure out how someone could draw the conclusion that Fugazi is Dadrock.

I am a dad, and I listen to Fugazi

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

4outof5 posted:

Things that are not dad rock exhibit 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHAnkJFOMs

that is extremely dad rock

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
god drat the op is a stupid piece of poo poo

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

glowing-fish posted:

So are there any Dadrock bands, from the 1980s or afterwards, who had mainstream radio success (obvious note: Dadrock bands have to have radio success), that were not just an old Dadrock group with the members shifted around or under a different name?

Perhaps because they couldn't find any bands to label "dad rock" using the radio metric you mention, critics seem to have settled on Wilco as THE modern dad-rock band, to the point where Jeff Tweedy keeps being interviewed about it in articles like "Jeff Tweedy is Sick of Being Called 'Dad Rock'" (Esquire) and "Jeff Tweedy Dislikes the Term 'Dad Rock'" (Spin).

In terms of bands that actually play stadiums and have hits, the post-'80s band that I've heard associated with "dad rock" most often is probably the Foo Fighters.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

garbage day posted:

Perhaps because they couldn't find any bands to label "dad rock" using the radio metric you mention, critics seem to have settled on Wilco as THE modern dad-rock band, to the point where Jeff Tweedy keeps being interviewed about it in articles like "Jeff Tweedy is Sick of Being Called 'Dad Rock'" (Esquire) and "Jeff Tweedy Dislikes the Term 'Dad Rock'" (Spin).

In terms of bands that actually play stadiums and have hits, the post-'80s band that I've heard associated with "dad rock" most often is probably the Foo Fighters.

I can certainly see that with the Foo Fighters, what with being so popular with David Letterman and appearing on Saturday Night Live, and also Dave Grohl palling around with Paul McCartney.

I don't think Wilco really qualifies though. The closest thing to Wilco in the Canonical Dadrock pantheon is Neil Young, who was not even Dadrock when he was playing with Crosby, Stills and Nash, a quintessential Dadrock group.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i just record my incoherent screaming from my night terrors and play it back 2000 times slower

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

garbage day posted:

At least until the dads discover they are AIDS deniers and stop listening to them. :ssh:

tomstuart posted:

i just record my incoherent screaming from my night terrors and play it back 2000 times slower

Merzbow is so Dad Screamo / 2000.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5nnthntzh8

Anyone else think that this song is about alcoholism? The imagery of 'riding the tiger down river euphrates' makes me think of drinking, as it goes down your esophagus.

Or maybe it's not, I don't know.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Dad Rock requires a certain surface musical inoffensiveness, combined with success within a particular genre.

Talking Heads (particularly post Remain in Light and definitely after Stop Making Sense) had that surface inoffensiveness to the music, but if you listened to the lyrics, it wasn't Dad Rock. However, TH was the best of their genre.

The Pixies never had that surface inoffensiveness, and on top of that, the best band of the Pixies genre was Nirvana, who are just outside the Dad Rock time bracket and probably fail the inoffensiveness test too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Apogee of dad is those who had kids between 1975 and 1985. No other group will ever be as dadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sheep-Goats posted:

Apogee of dad is those who had kids between 1975 and 1985. No other group will ever be as dadly.

This is true. My dad is like a proto-dad.

Loves the Eagles, too :negative:

• Locked thread