Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yay! Another great update :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel it
I feel it deeply
Your posting I feel it deeply

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
After overhearing Josuke and Okuyasu talking poo poo about Koichi (which was actually a ruse on their part to try to get her to fall out of love with Koichi), Yukako broke into Koichi's bedroom in the middle of the night and kidnapped him with the aim of making him a "real man!"

"When I get the chance, I have to escape..."

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Chapter 297
Chapter 32 of Diamond is Unbreakable
Yukako's Love (Part Four)

Translation: Invincible Trio

Two facts are established via exposition in this first panel: 1. this house is so remote that no other houses are within sight, and 2. there are no phones. This stops the reader from asking "why didn't Koichi just scream/call for help?"

Koichi ruminates on his situation from inside the house. Koichi doesn't even entertain the possibility of confronting Yukako directly. "It's no use, she won't listen to anything I say...she has her 'Hair Stand' too...It's best to just go along with it and to not agitate her for now. But when I get the chance, I'm getting out of here!"

One slipper being off his foot is a nice touch that really emphasizes how small he is. Also I guess his stomach just growled?

Yukako, oblivious to Koichi's fear and really to any kind of social norms, was in the room the whole time, preparing an extravagant breakfast. Tentatively, Koichi asks her what she was doing with her hair when she kidnapped him, careful not to let her know that he is also a stand user. Yukako explains that last February she was shot by a bow and arrow and when she came to she had a special power. Koichi asks Yukako if she knows anyone else with a similar power but she does not. Yukako then tells Koichi to come have a seat at the table.

Sage advice for the fellas out there. :pervert: "I have to just smile and nod for now...I have to pretend that I'll be obedient." :mmmhmm: Though Koichi resolves to just play along until he gets a chance to escape, he enthusiastically prepares to dig in to the spread set out on the table. Sharply, Yukako tells him he can't eat yet.

Yukako isn't happy about the 16 that Koichi got on his exam. (Oooh so that was also some expositional setup in the last chapter, very nice! The best setup is the setup that doesn't feel like a setup!) "If you're getting results like this, you're still eons away from becoming the man I want you to be..."

"So I've decided that we can study while we eat." The extreme close up of her face here emphasizes the menace.

Yukako slams down a bunch of...filing cabinet drawers or something...on the table with great force. "I'm going to begin giving you some questions! And you're going to have to choose the correct answer out of either Box A, B, or C, and eat whatever's behind it. You absorb a information a lot faster when you're having fun anyway..." Uh, yikes?

This panel showing a Koichi's surprise from across the table is pretty cool. The depth of the shot emphasizes how odd this is. Since your eyes travel across it from top to bottom, a long panel like this functions like a vertical pan in cinema, so it gives us the sensation of Koichi slowly absorbing this weird new development.

:lol:

Koichi doesn't know the answer, so he goes with his gut and guesses B.

:ohdear:

Yukako then lovingly begins to take the shell off the egg and asks Koichi if he'd like some salt. Koichi is relieved: "She seems to be in a good mood now! If only she'll drop her guard enough for me to leave..."

"By the way, if you'd chosen A, I would have had you eat this eraser!" Yukako says with a total ^_^ face.

Yep, so if Koichi answers a question wrong, looks like he'll be forced to eat something gross. Yukako was trying to force-feed Koichi two chapters ago before that other student intervened, so I suppose this is a recurring motif. I'm saying this is probably intentional -- I know that's a lot to swallow. :downsrim: Yukako sets up the boxes for the next round and asks Koichi another difficult question. Now that he knows what's at stake, this time Koichi's a bit more anxious.

As an aside:

lol

Koichi begins to point at box A but notices Yukako's demeanor suddenly takes a turn for the negative. As he moves to point at box C, Yukako seems to light up with excitement instead, so Koichi nervously decides to take guess on that one.

Yukako is furious. "So I guess the rumors about you shoplifting and cheating were true! I'll just have to beat that pettiness out of you, then! As a punishment I'm going to have you eat what's in both boxes A and B!"

Yukako moves in to feed the paper-wrapped asparagus to Koichi herself, but in a surprising move Koichi swats it out of her hands.

Koichi makes a dash for the window to try to break it open and escape but he's suddenly pulled up by some supernatural force and slammed into the ceiling. Whoa, can Yukako control other people's hair too?

"I planted some of my hair into your head," Yukako explains as she lets Koichi fall to the floor. "Koichi," Yukako says with a serious look, "Some things might happen that might make you momentarily hate me...but when it comes time for you to leave this place, and you see how much you've changed, you'll thank me. You'll think of how much you need me in your life...you'll understand that you can't live without me." :catstare: Abusive much?! Yukako tells Koichi that she's not going to let him eat anything else until he eats both of the dishes under boxes A and B. She also goes on to explain that the house is a summer home for a CEO who lives in Tokyo, so nobody will come close to discovering them for months.

Meanwhile, Josuke and Okuyasu are discussing the disappearence of Koichi and Yukako. It seems Okuyasu just spoke to Koichi's parents, who are "still pretty cool about it" but are thinking of calling the cops. Interesting that Okuyasu was the one to go check with Koichi's family. "I kinda feel responsible for this poo poo too...he can't be dead though, right?" Josuke doesn't think Koichi's dead, but he knows they'll need to find Koichi soon...

Okuyasu points out that Koichi has his stand Echoes, but Josuke says that Echoes range is only 50 meters, meaning Koichi has either been knocked unconscious or has been taken somewhere over 50 meters away from help. Josuke resolves that they'll begin their search for Koichi based on those clues.

Scene transition!

Koichi is desperately -- comically -- trying to guess the number needed to open the combination lock.

And then...

The end of the chapter? That's it??

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In case you could not tell. He pissed his pants cause he could not figure out the combination for the bathroom.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Some liberties were taken for the answers to Yukako's first question. A is pretty accurate, C translates to something along the lines of fantasy, and B means ancient or primeval, which I don't think makes much sense as the correct answer. There was discussion of this in the anime thread, since the official subs use the rather loaded term "primitive" for that choice. Also, the "oftern" typo bugs me a lot more than it probably should.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fansubs went with the same thing Crunchy did for the answers in the anime too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The fansubs went with the same thing Crunchy did for the answers in the anime too.

It depends on the subs since at least two just copy/paste the Crunchy subs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some-Stuffs, the ones who re-translate, at least for the most part.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Read to the end of Yukako's Love, think I'll wrap up the whole thing in one entry since going chapter by chapter was getting tedious. Something I wanted to note separate from the Let's Read, the arc ends with a duwang-ism that the Invincible Trio chose to preserve. I think it's unfortunate that they used the fan-famous duwangisms in more serious scenes (like "who in face are you") and I'd advice anyone working on a translation to avoid similar stamps of individuality on their work since not only do in-jokes like this seem a bit self-indulgent, they also require knowledge of the fandom at the time of translation and so may not age well. Sure, I knew about the duwangisms because I've been chatting with alla ya'll this whole time but what if someone starts reading part 4 and isn't into fandom-type stuff? Too late for this series, but thought I'd put my two cents in there since some of you do work on other fan translation projects.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Read to the end of Yukako's Love, think I'll wrap up the whole thing in one entry since going chapter by chapter was getting tedious. Something I wanted to note separate from the Let's Read, the arc ends with a duwang-ism that the Invincible Trio chose to preserve. I think it's unfortunate that they used the fan-famous duwangisms in more serious scenes (like "who in face are you") and I'd advice anyone working on a translation to avoid similar stamps of individuality on their work since not only do in-jokes like this seem a bit self-indulgent, they also require knowledge of the fandom at the time of translation and so may not age well. Sure, I knew about the duwangisms because I've been chatting with alla ya'll this whole time but what if someone starts reading part 4 and isn't into fandom-type stuff? Too late for this series, but thought I'd put my two cents in there since some of you do work on other fan translation projects.

I think "Get a feeling so complicated" was actually a pretty apt line regardless of it originally being Duwang, as was "I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" I agree that "Who in face are you?" was overly self-indulgent, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who in face are you is perfect how dare you

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Silver2195 posted:

I think "Get a feeling so complicated" was actually a pretty apt line regardless of it originally being Duwang, as was "I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" I agree that "Who in face are you?" was overly self-indulgent, though.

I would argue that the line could be put better as "I've got such a complicated feeling" or "I don't know how to feel about this," but I agree that "feel you deeply" was fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There is one Duwangism in the climax that I feel is actually super apt and almost preferred.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There is one Duwangism in the climax that I feel is actually super apt and almost preferred.

and based on how the eyes of heaven loading page quote translated it, the official anime translation is going to SUCK

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

no they will not posted:

and based on how the eyes of heaven loading page quote translated it, the official anime translation is going to SUCK

I don't remember the line in question. What is it?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I assume the line about the Mona Lisa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I assume the line about the Mona Lisa.

That's barely even a Duwangism, that's just a straightforward translation. Though I expect the Crunchyroll translators to censor it slightly.

• Locked thread