Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's a long-running joke in some pockets of the fanbase that Arabia Fats (The Sun) and Kenny G. would've been invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That actually would cover the weak spot of both of their Stands, provided they were in an air conditioned hiding spot big enough for two.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

It's a long-running joke in some pockets of the fanbase that Arabia Fats (The Sun) and Kenny G. would've been invincible.

There is no JoJo character who can stand up to Senator Wilson Phillips if he's ready to throw some knuckle. Mercy got him killed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kakyoin's really giving off some Zeppeli vibes right about now

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

God drat it, I wish I could ever make something as perfect as this.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well his sacrifice was better than Caesar-chan's anyway, him and Joseph actually figured out and passed on critical information in time to be genuinely useful

Also lol at Dio mugging the opening credits

Ezelek
Apr 30, 2006

I raised you, and loved you, I've given you weapons, taught you techniques, endowed you with knowledge. There's nothing more for me to give you. All that's left for you to take is my life.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also lol at Dio mugging the opening credits
This is basically what edged it out over Battle Tendency's opening as best JoJo OP for me, all them mudas.

EDIT: also DIO's hips are just amazing

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
It was every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like that DIO apparently took the time to go fetch a balla-rear end cape before starting the pursuit of his mortal enemies. Gotta look good when killng your ancestral foes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

I like that DIO apparently took the time to go fetch a balla-rear end cape before starting the pursuit of his mortal enemies. Gotta look good when killng your ancestral foes.

Well, there's no need for him to rush. DIO has all the time in The World.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I kind of wish that Araki didn't give up on the Tarot Card + Color convention so soon. We could've had Fools Gold.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You are preaching to the choir. :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

he did sort of exhaust the existing major arcana and repeated names is sort of lame.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tarot's card's are cool, but having stands be named after bands and songs is the loving best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Iggy ain't no fools gold, that dog is solid gold.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Monaghan posted:

Tarot's card's are cool, but having stands be named after bands and songs is the loving best.

This is why Dio having The World is the best

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Monaghan posted:

It's so much more fun.

The tarot conceit was interesting while it lasted but I never miss it once he moves on.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Only problem is naming rights. It gets pretty crazy

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Wild Horses posted:

Only problem is naming rights. It gets pretty crazy

The Miasma of the Void, Cool Ice, Part 1

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You wish that was as bad as it got.

Jean Pierre "Eiffel" (which is considerably not the worst in ASB)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

filthy acts, at a reasonable price

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That one is actually fantastic.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
In ASB, they were afraid to use Stray Cat of all things :psyduck:

Another really bad one is that they called a stand Zipper Man lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of the Part 5 stands got butchered in the funniest ways except for two of them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looking at the name changes for Part IV's Stands makes me sad.

And jeez, you guys weren't kidding about the Part V ones getting butchered. The main character's sounds decent enough, though.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

a cartoon duck posted:

filthy acts, at a reasonable price

Kid Neowyrm thought the title of that song was "Ditty Deets and the Thunder Cheat" so just use that

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Here I am with my Zipper Man, Zipper Man, here I stand.

With my best friends friends by my side, Mista, he's really cool, Girono, the beautiful.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
And yet Soft and Wet remained untouched. :psyduck:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, I'm all up to date on my JoJo animes, some final thoughts:

Battle Tendency is still my favourite series, Stardust Crusaders Part 2 picked things up alot but Part One seriously dragged things down with trash villain of the weeks and boring Stands. I really don't think the series as a whole ever needed 48 episodes at all, especially considering how much ground Battle Tendency covered in 17 without ever feeling rushed

Jotaro's final fight with Dio was really cool though, Araki really seems to love making his villains so completely terrible anything which happens to them feels justified, that CRITICAL HIT to the skull punch and Dio's subsequent freakout was so satisfying, as was Polnareff's complete breakdown of Vanilla Ice. It was a shame Joseph didn't get any real fight at all with him though, I know he's old and crap and not the main protagonist now but he barely tricked anyone at all in this series, it would have been fun to see him try some type of sneaky bullshit with Hamon and Hermit Purple

On the other hand, the recurring permanent character deaths only make Joseph's continued survival funnier, he is just too ridiculous to die

Iggy's sudden change from doesn't give a poo poo comic relief to fully fledged party member was really sudden and noticeable, I think you could tell what his fate was going to be when his design changed from

to

and he sudden developed emotive voice-acting. RIP feels dog

Overall I thought they've all still been pretty great series', Young Joseph is still the JoJo of my heart but Jotaro did grow on me as they started to play up his absurd ice-cool stoicism and ridiculous finesse as his JoJo power more and more, beating D'Arby the Elder for example, just by completely weirding him out with inconsequential bullshit was hilarious

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

at this point I've read Part 4 and I'm almost done with Part 5 and the manga thread posters were right when they said Stands and their fights get more interesting. I like Part 3 a lot for what it is, because the boys traveling and having a good time is the real point of it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That transformation in the manga takes place in the space of a single weeks publication.
Dog one week, human dog the next.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

it would have been fun to see him try some type of sneaky bullshit with Hamon and Hermit Purple

He did. It just never worked.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really don't think the series as a whole ever needed 48 episodes at all, especially considering how much ground Battle Tendency covered in 17 without ever feeling rushed
While the anime certainly drags things out, it's worth noting that Battle Tendency was "Only" 7 volumes whereas Stardust Crusaders spans a more substantive 16. 48 episodes might've still been a bit much, but it was never going to be contained within a single standard 26-episode season. The pacing and style of story changes from Part 2 to Part 3 as well.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is less the episode count and more the way certain fights were stretched or squeezed to fit within broadcasting confines. My go-to example has pretty much become The Sun. In the manga it's only two chapters and over in about six minutes (give or take, depending on you fast you read things), but the anime needs to to fluff it out to fill 20 minutes of airtime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Sun was a funny episode, but yeah, they could've given it the same treatment as Tower of Gray where the fight was over halfway through the episode and I wouldn't have minded.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a lot of little things that end up influencing the pacing. You "Read" dialogue much faster than you "Hear" it, your mind fills in the action between panels, and there's no minimum (or technically maximum) length any given battle has to go for, so you can do things like sandwich The Sun between The Lovers and Death XIII without having to worry over how it affects them. And if you don't care for any given fight, good news: it's over fairly quickly. A lot of the "Bad" fights in Part 3 are the quick and dirty ones that fill up much of the first half, for which the average length is 3-to-4 chapters. I consider myself a slow reader, but I can burn through a single 20-page chapter in about three minutes, so most of those fights last all of ten before switching over to something else. Now I don't dislike any of the fights in Part 3, as I've said, but if I did then I'd probably find them less irritating in a more digestible format.

The tricky part in adapting this for television is the fights from Part 3 onward become very compartmentalized; new location, new bad guy. If a fight ends before the episode ends, they need to shift into the next fight which hypothetically throws off everything for all future fights which hurts the flow and feel of the show. A lot of people complained about the jump from Vanilla Ice to Suzy Q to Nukesaku. That wasn't an issue that existed in the manga, but it exists in the anime.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He did. It just never worked.

Well yeah, I meant a real fight where Joseph at least lands one hit. I suppose the idea was to meant Dio seem completely unassailable but it did lead to Joseph feeling rather useless compared to his heyday

On the other hand I did like that they ran with the 'Joseph says Oh My God' meme and got him saying it in as many different tones and situations as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2PiYsReZyI

Pure gold

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On the other hand I did like that they ran with the 'Joseph says Oh My God' meme and got him saying it in as many different tones and situations as possible

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm fine with the length of the Sun episode but I'm clearly biased because of the quality kakyoin content.

But yes, stands get way cooler as the series progresses. I'm looking forward to the possibility of the next season because of that. Josuke is great and there's one particular stand/user who will be fun for me to see on-screen.

Stardust has good fights and all but it's the journey part that I'm more drawn to, which is why I'm bummed when people act like it only gets good once they're in Egypt.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Is there a Shia Labouf link about part 4 I can spam somebody to read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sekkira posted:

Is there a Shia Labouf link about part 4 I can spam somebody to read it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bDNJAVRdA

Sorta anyway.

• Locked thread