Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Coolie Ghost posted:

Introvert/Extrovert is in the domain of psychology as much as the stuff in What the Bleep Do We Know is in the domain of physics

i do remember the concept being brought up in my psych classes, but it was included in a grouping of malleable personality characteristics like conscientiousness, willingness to try new things, etc.

but don't you dare suggest to introvert comic people that they can learn to be more outgoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
it's amazing to me that internet shut-ins have basically developed a newage mythology involving metaphysical energy exchanges in order to ignore that thier youth, with poor socialization and potentially numerous traumatic incidents, resulted in crippling social anxiety that will take actual work to fix

i am the life of the party! *plays twister alone and cries, makes tumblr comic to trick himself into thinking he is actually cool and rad*

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
It's just a bunch of loving fools that are using this as excuse for being lazy instead of admitting that they're lazy people. Introverts used to be called couch potatoes. I'm one, everybody that knows me knows I'm lazy. Nobody cares including me.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
As a relatively introverted person myself I never understood why people crave attention or understanding online in the form of posting cartoons and poo poo. Its the loving internet, who cares?
In my personal life I just made sure my friends understood that sometime I'm not in the mood to go out drinking. Good friends understand those things, and those that can't/wont you should not be friends with. Its pretty simple.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
im so alone and i just poo poo my pants

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

how me a frog posted:

I'm like you but better.

Repost, but the likely other side of that convo

And both girls went home secure in the knowledge of their superiority to that stuck up bitch they kinda tried talking to.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

how me a frog posted:

Help society I'm a special snowflake, appease me!

I'm like you but better.

Hear me roar! (In the form of a whiny rear end picture I posted to reddit or whatever)

You may think I'm an annoying baby-thing? Let me educate you.

Me so small, life so hard :(

Huuuuurf

HUUUUUURF

You guys were not on board when I suggested we get rid of fats, but surely you'll agree introverts need to go?

Please be nice this took a lot of posting energy to make.

One of my friends posted that one. A couple of years later, she started running a bunch and lost a lot of wait. She continues excercising a bunch and is no longer posting introvert stuff. What I'm saying is that her "introversion" was caused by depression. Sure, she's still not super outgoing or anything, but she's stopped obsessing about how her lack of motivation to interact with other people is caused by it.

Ocean Book posted:

i think what the comics are suggesting is to recognize that some people get tired from having social interactions and need to take a break

Darth123123 posted:

too many words in those commics

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i thought i was an introvert then i realized i just didn't like most people. now i'm as outgoing as i want to be which is hardly ever.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Some people don't like socializing as much as others or get exahusted by it. But outgoing people like the OP don't get this so they paint introverted people as being assholes.

So some introvert went and made some comics saying 'This is how I feel. I'm not actually a monster for thinking this.' which is great because they're being brave and standing up for themselves. But giant assholes, such as the OP, can't tolerate this because how dare you try to defend yourself and be different and not let me poo poo all over you whenever I want.

So then assholes, the OP being a prime example, continue to exist and make lovely threads and spew hatespeech and not realize they are pieces of poo poo that should kill themselves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
op needs to smoke a weed and relax

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Maybe introverts should stop overthinking every basic interaction and just let it all hang out a bit with cool people who like having a great time

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Pretty much all introverts will open up in the right setting, they're just socially anxious, overthink things, and hide behind books/games/media as a coping mechanism.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

ArbitraryC posted:

Pretty much all introverts will open up in the right setting, they're just socially anxious, overthink things, and hide behind books/games/media as a coping mechanism.

its true and its sucky

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i use to say i was an introvert then i realized i was a stupid fucker so yea its bullshit just be normal. sometimes i like being around people a bunch sometimes not crazy i know

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Stuffguyman posted:

Some people don't like socializing as much as others or get exahusted by it. But outgoing people like the OP don't get this so they paint introverted people as being assholes.

So some introvert went and made some comics saying 'This is how I feel. I'm not actually a monster for thinking this.' which is great because they're being brave and standing up for themselves. But giant assholes, such as the OP, can't tolerate this because how dare you try to defend yourself and be different and not let me poo poo all over you whenever I want.

So then assholes, the OP being a prime example, continue to exist and make lovely threads and spew hatespeech and not realize they are pieces of poo poo that should kill themselves.

Lol project harder!!!!

Wats your tmblr oval office?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm the hermit crab except gay

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
After I'm done reading this Schopenhauer treatise on the mode of transcendence I'm going to sketch a few panels on that feeling I had

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Seriously there's a reason why any self labeled introvert you talk to will have a huge online presence (whether it's a game, forum, or some other community) and a couple of really close friends, it's because they still desire a similar level of social interaction as everyone else they just have less options due to their own neurosis. You wouldn't spend all evening on chat programs with your guild or all weekend playing mtg with your tight nit friends group if social interaction itself was draining, you just start to panic at the prospect of going out into a group of strangers who might be judging* you (they aren't), catastrophize, then convince yourself you really just wanted to stay in and read/play games rather than admitting you were just anxious about going out.

*notice how a lot of complaints in those list boil down to this? Don't criticize them or have them do things they're not good at in public. It's pretty classic social anxiety.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

you're insane if you think i'm reading any of that

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

lite frisk posted:

i am PERverted, where PER is an acronym for Penetrate, Ejaculate, Reevaluate (your life choices).

please respect my social identity, bithc, tia

Sounds like some Jackie Chiles poo poo right there.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
They're not fooling anyone with all of those "reading books" comics, they're either binging on video games or netflix.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

ArbitraryC posted:

Seriously there's a reason why any self labeled introvert you talk to will have a huge online presence (whether it's a game, forum, or some other community) and a couple of really close friends, it's because they still desire a similar level of social interaction as everyone else they just have less options due to their own neurosis. You wouldn't spend all evening on chat programs with your guild or all weekend playing mtg with your tight nit friends group if social interaction itself was draining, you just start to panic at the prospect of going out into a group of strangers who might be judging* you (they aren't), catastrophize, then convince yourself you really just wanted to stay in and read/play games rather than admitting you were just anxious about going out.

*notice how a lot of complaints in those list boil down to this? Don't criticize them or have them do things they're not good at in public. It's pretty classic social anxiety.

not really true. i like my friends but hanging out with them is draining because i find all social interactions taxing. many things in life worth doing take energy and effort, just because you like doing them doesnt negate that. i also think your characterization of every person who identifies with introverted characteristics as being in denial about social anxiety is unfounded.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
You can like high brow stuff and also not be a drag to be around. For example I read most af the davinci code.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i didn't say anythign op

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ocean Book posted:

i dont see whats so bad about understanding how other people feel about things

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
How to care for isis members, an comic

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kill all InCels

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

how me a frog posted:

Honestly surprised she didn't mention spoons. "Introversion is something that needs to be accommodated like a disability, BUT IT'S NOT A DISABILITY HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I scrolled through all that poo poo hoping for an 'Im gay' on the front page

i was diasappointed

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

how me a frog posted:

I'm like you but better.

Hear me roar! (In the form of a whiny rear end picture I posted to reddit or whatever)

You may think I'm an annoying baby-thing? Let me educate you.

Me so small, life so hard :(

Huuuuurf

HUUUUUURF

You guys were not on board when I suggested we get rid of fats, but surely you'll agree introverts need to go?

Please be nice this took a lot of posting energy to make.

So they want to be treated like cats?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

I scrolled through all that poo poo hoping for an 'Im gay' on the front page

i was diasappointed

There's a front page?

opus111 posted:

So they want to be treated like cats?

gently caress I wanna be treated like cats. Am I on board with this? o_0

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

You know if you don't go specifically looking for poo poo on the internet that makes you angry there's like a .001% chance you'd ever see something like that right?

I didn't even read those because why?

oh you're an rear end with nothing better to do and no real problems to deal with, carry on then

i wish i was as cool and non-caring and edgy as yu

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

how me a frog posted:

Laughing really hard that 2. is a picture of nerd crying about getting cucked by a black dude.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
REMINDER! THIS IS ALL FINE!

Do not stand in the way of the pussyfication of the west, a grown rear end adult having the mental fortitude of a small child is something to be applauded.

GOOD!

A SIENCE MAN SAID A THING THAT I CAN TWIST INTO MEANING I AM BASICALLY A GENIUS, THIS IS UNLIKE ASPERGERS THOUGH.

PROUD CREATIVE INTROVERT MASTER RACE

PRIDE. LEGALIZE INTROVERT MARRIAGE!

I WISH IT WERE POSSIBLE NOT TO HAVE A SMARTPHONE?! BUT ALAS!!!!

YES COMICS! GOOD! COOL!

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

how me a frog posted:

Do not stand in the way of the pussyfication of the west, a grown rear end adult having the mental fortitude of a small child is something to be applauded.

recognizing your own needs and accommodating them is healthy, as is respectfully accommodating the needs of others.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Ocean Book posted:

recognizing your own needs and accommodating them is healthy, as is respectfully accommodating the needs of others.

I really need you to

A) STFU

B) GTFO

accomodate me. It's my thread after all, this is less insane than expecting society to recognize my personal little foibles as a social issue of any importance.

edit: because my needs, show some respect you poo poo, there's plenty of other threads

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Keep your loving hands off of the extrovert, too.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

what if other people need a load of total dumb bullshit, do i still have to accomodate them

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Ensure the introvert has a fresh pile of newspaper strips for nesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

what if other people need a load of total dumb bullshit, do i still have to accomodate them

all of your actions are up for you to choose with absolute freedom. first determine your values and then act accordingly.

• Locked thread