Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Am I reading that wrong, do you need to pay an entry fee to the theme park then buy a ticket for the TNA event?

Also, I thought Vince loved that he has the biggest collection of wrestling tapes in the world. If so I could see him wanting to add to it if it was cheap enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

croutonZA posted:

Am I reading that wrong, do you need to pay an entry fee to the theme park then buy a ticket for the TNA event?

Also, I thought Vince loved that he has the biggest collection of wrestling tapes in the world. If so I could see him wanting to add to it if it was cheap enough.

No, the Impact Zone is outside the gates of the park so you can go watch TNA without paying park admission. They're saying that the VIP does not include park admission.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

flashy_mcflash posted:

LMFAO they've gotta be kidding with this. A bill for 'priority entry' to a bunch of free events that won't be sold out.

I like that on the individual dates it just says meet and great with a star, not stars. I wouldn't put it past TNA to have their lowest card nobody do all the meet and greets.

Also, on the subject of tape buying I think it's broadly assumed that Vince loves buying out his competition for pennies on the dollar, I don't see why he wouldn't want to buy the TNA library for a fraction of what he bought WCW's for and put the rare gems on the Network.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

croutonZA posted:

Nobody has ever bought a ticket for a TNA event

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ZDar Fan posted:

I don't have anything to add, but the name "Big" John Gaburick always makes me laugh for some reason

It's funnier than that. It's John "Big" Gaburick, like people just refer to him as "Big".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wait, is that a hundo for all 8 days of taping or per?

Interesting they decided to skip on sunday. Maybe they're hoping they might have a PPV?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

Interesting they decided to skip on sunday. Maybe they're hoping they might have a PPV?

No work on Sundays is proof that we're going to see TNA turn into the first christian pro wrestling organization.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

They have to have one day of rest!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

No work on Sundays is proof that we're going to see TNA turn into the first christian pro wrestling organization.

A Christian pro wrestling group used to run out of my local rec center. I think as a thing extremely low budget religious wrestling groups are fairly common

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

I think it's for all of them. I'm not sure why they skipped Sunday either, and they certainly don't have a PPV in the works.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The day off in the middle is so the talent can rest, obviously. TNA cares about its employees!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They're actually having a drum of the smell of Rome burning shipped over from Disney World to add to the atmosphere of the Impact Zone that day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Tyrus, f.k.a. Brodus Clay in WWE, joined Rob McCarron and Jeff Hawkins on Shake Them Ropes this week to discuss a wide range of topics. During the interview, Tyrus discussed his beginnings in WWE, growing up on Arn Anderson, joining TNA, whether or not he has ever seen a ghost and more. You can download the full episode by clicking here, they sent us these highlights:

Joining TNA after getting released from WWE:

"When I was let go, I had my mind made up that I was going to TNA already. You don't know if things are going to work or not, but in a short amount of time, when you say TNA, you think EC3. You think Tyrus."

Does he see himself in the ring five years from now:

"Oh no, daddy won't be wrestling in five years."

The cancellation of his Global Force Wrestling appearances last month:

"I was confused as to why I was asked not to do the shows. TNA said I could work wherever I want with the exception of companies with TV. When it was explained to me, I talked with Jeff to let him know, and no one really smartened me up. When he came walking onto TNA, I was like, 'What... the hell?' Immediately one of the reps came up to me and said, 'You can work his shows now.' I told him it was very important that you get away from me right now. I was hot."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
To be fair to TNA it seems the only fans they have left are insane obsessives so why not milk a last hundred out of em.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Actually when you say TNA, BrodusTyrus, I think "dying"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Magnus talked to WrestlingInc

Magnus posted:

It was my decision [to leave]. The way my contract was structured, without getting too detailed, they couldn't release me. There was something in there that prevented that, which was nice.

It was due to roll over at the end of June. At the beginning of June I decided to give them notice that they hadn't contacted me regarding anything. It was structured that if they hadn't made contact about it a month out, I had the option to end it.

I think they knew how I felt, and I knew they were in a position financially where it was getting difficult for them to honor contracts like mine. Not trying to disclose too much, but I got it on pretty good authority from the office that I was in the upper echelon as pay is concerned. I knew they weren't in a position to offer the same structure. A year ago I had made peace with the idea of leaving. I always delivered everything they gave me whether I liked it or not. I knew in my gut a year ago I wasn't going to stay.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
TNA being so idiotic that they give a guy a contract he can never be fired from is AMAZING.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

flashy_mcflash posted:

LMFAO they've gotta be kidding with this. A bill for 'priority entry' to a bunch of free events that won't be sold out.

"Star of IMPACT Wrestling"

So they only have Bram left?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Magnus posted:

I knew in my gut a year ago I wasn't going to stay.

Wasn't it around this time that he wrote that article calling fans piece of poo poo marks for criticizing TNA

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

Wasn't it around this time that he wrote that article calling fans piece of poo poo marks for criticizing TNA

I think part of tnas contracts is that you have to go way over the top defending them on social media to the point that you look like a total jackass

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Tonfa posted:

That was a wee bit before, he did his pro tna articles upto and including the first part of his title reign. Then after he dropped the strap he did another article which was less enthusiastic about TNA. He got depushed hard last year and it really changed his attitude.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Angular Landbury posted:

TNA being so idiotic that they give a guy a contract he can never be fired from is AMAZING.

Dixie probably doesn't know that "ironclad contracts" are a work so she gave one to Magnus because that's how wrestling works (if you are a retard like she is).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

That was a wee bit before, he did his pro tna articles upto and including the first part of his title reign. Then after he dropped the strap he did another article which was less enthusiastic about TNA. He got depushed hard last year and it really changed his attitude.

Even his push to the title was extremely weak

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's weird to think he was in TNA for 7 years and did so little in that time.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Well technically he won the most prestigious tag title in the world and became the first British world champion but whatever

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angular Landbury posted:

Guaranteed contracts aren't that weird.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DynamiteKidd posted:

Well technically he won the most prestigious tag title in the world and became the first British world champion but whatever

Gary Steele and Nigel McGuinness say hello

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Magnus' title reign was real cool as they kept refusing to make him look strong against anyone even guys like Sting who were straight up leaving. And then they dropped him because WWE put the title on a beardy guy so they had to do the same.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If WWE did buy TNA's tape library I wonder if they would pick up a few TNA talents just to do a short invasion angle or create a midcard stable to job out or something. I mean, once they own them why not pretend they were worth something before clowning on them for the rest of time? I would watch a feud of Sting (who they've firmly established as a WCW character but could bring up TNA as a dark chapter of his life that he hated) leading a bunch of midcard faces against manager Kurt Angle, some TNA guys and Samoa Joe as the headliner.

It sounds like dumb fantasy booking I guess, but given that WWE wants to do SOMETHING with Joe on the main roster but they also want to marginalize and choke the life out of Ring of Honor over the Steen action figures thing, why not make him into the Only Guy Who's Worth Anything From TNA, like they did with Booker T during the original Invasion?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NowonSA posted:

I like that on the individual dates it just says meet and great with a star, not stars. I wouldn't put it past TNA to have their lowest card nobody do all the meet and greets.

Also, on the subject of tape buying I think it's broadly assumed that Vince loves buying out his competition for pennies on the dollar, I don't see why he wouldn't want to buy the TNA library for a fraction of what he bought WCW's for and put the rare gems on the Network.

Sorry I thought we were still talking about TNA.

Sanguinia posted:

If WWE did buy TNA's tape library I wonder if they would pick up a few TNA talents just to do a short invasion angle or create a midcard stable to job out or something. I mean, once they own them why not pretend they were worth something before clowning on them for the rest of time? I would watch a feud of Sting (who they've firmly established as a WCW character but could bring up TNA as a dark chapter of his life that he hated) leading a bunch of midcard faces against manager Kurt Angle, some TNA guys and Samoa Joe as the headliner.

It sounds like dumb fantasy booking I guess, but given that WWE wants to do SOMETHING with Joe on the main roster but they also want to marginalize and choke the life out of Ring of Honor over the Steen action figures thing, why not make him into the Only Guy Who's Worth Anything From TNA, like they did with Booker T during the original Invasion?

Kurt Angle is literally never stepping foot in a WWE ring for the rest of his life, except maybe for some ceremonial thing. Even if they put him in the HoF he's never doing anything physical for WWE for as long as the WWE is a thing. I know you said "manager" but if you put Kurt in a managerial role he will end up taking a bump or something and there's no way Vince would risk that.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

MassRafTer posted:

Guaranteed contracts aren't that weird.

They are in a company that sheds talent like my cat sheds fur in the summertime. Especially when your ironclad contract recipient Magnus was treated like a joke when he was champion and then got dropped from the main event and was bouncing from goofy no-reason feud to goofy no-reason feud for the better part of a year.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Meltz came out with more details on why TNA and NJPW working agreement ended. It wasn't just taking the IWGP titles off the Dudleys. It's also because when NJPW requested the Dudleys back for an angle, Dixie refused so they could feud with the Nasty Boys. And then there was the treatment of Okada that just made NJPW go "Yeah, No."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking up the post-champion career of Brutus Magnus reminded me of how Rob Terry spent the last few months of his TNA career under a metal mask in the Menagerie as THE FREAK.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Onmi posted:

So Meltz came out with more details on why TNA and NJPW working agreement ended. It wasn't just taking the IWGP titles off the Dudleys. It's also because when NJPW requested the Dudleys back for an angle, Dixie refused so they could feud with the Nasty Boys. And then there was the treatment of Okada that just made NJPW go "Yeah, No."

I always thought the big ones were Jeff being a sloppy mess vs. Naito and TNA booking an IWGP Tag Title change without permission.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

That was Jeff being a sloppy mess and burying Naito in the press conference before when he made it clear he couldn't care less and wanted Liger instead.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

With TNA's treatment of AJ, TNA's treatment of Okada must go down as one of the biggest wastes of talent in wrestling history. Was it done due to Russo's "I don't care about them there foreigners" bullshit? Or was he not working for them at the time?

Also, and I think I may be in the minority here, I think Magnus's loyalty to TNA whilst he was employed there is admirable. He towed the company line when asked, did what he was told, and also managed to leave with a little bit of his dignity. Of course he will be telling different tales now he is no longer employed, but good on him for not talking poo poo about the (albeit mightily lovely and incompetent) company whilst he worked there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

With TNA's treatment of AJ, TNA's treatment of Okada must go down as one of the biggest wastes of talent in wrestling history. Was it done due to Russo's "I don't care about them there foreigners" bullshit? Or was he not working for them at the time?

Also, and I think I may be in the minority here, I think Magnus's loyalty to TNA whilst he was employed there is admirable. He towed the company line when asked, did what he was told, and also managed to leave with a little bit of his dignity. Of course he will be telling different tales now he is no longer employed, but good on him for not talking poo poo about the (albeit mightily lovely and incompetent) company whilst he worked there.

There is not talking poo poo about a company and then there is talking poo poo about fans and sounding like a complete fool.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking up the post-champion career of Brutus Magnus reminded me of how Rob Terry spent the last few months of his TNA career under a metal mask in the Menagerie as THE FREAK.

It was a curtain mask until it became obvious that he couldn't see very well with it on

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Russo was definitely working for TNA when Okada was there.

Funny to think back to WK6 when Okada returned, challenged Tanahashi at the height of his most dominant title run, and the majority response was "lol sure whatever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, if Magnus were just being loyal to the company, we'd respect it a lot more than what he actually actively did.

It's the same reason we make fun of Dixie jabbing at everybody during a preshow speech she makes to the wrestlers that is then uploaded to their official Youtube channel, or Corgan arguing with a journalist daily, or Velvet Sky saying she wishes the sperm used to create a heckling fan was swallowed instead.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 8, 2015

• Locked thread