Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Service-sector capitalism has left me very alienated. Has this happened to anyone else? Advice, comments, suggestions, snotty remarks? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Nah it's just you. Stop bringing shame to the frog community.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I'm gay

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
get a better job you goddamn traffic cop

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I'm gay

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
:itwaspoo:

American Incel
Jul 3, 2015

by Ralp
Yep. I haven't had a real friend in nearly ten years. I go to work and go home. The only time I leave the house is work, mongering, or a strip club that I frequent.

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

op, hurry up, im about 2 cumn

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
production coordinated by exchange ratios between commodities necessarily involves a apparent subject/object inversion, where the actions of subjects such as humans appear to be coordinated in advance by the dictates of an object, such as commodities. related to this is the concept of fetishism, where the actions of subjects are attributed to the actions of objects.

this is related because objects can never have dictates or desires but can appear as if they do when enmeshed in a social system where subjective agents enforce the apparent demands of the objects, such as the previously mentioned commodity market or a religious group that enforces its own norms under the guise of enforcing the will of a totem-object.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
"The best chance you have to reach the American dream is through entrepreneurship. Individual freedom and liberty will better allow you to do that. Create your own job -- don't be a victim. Take control of your own future!" - Gov. Gary Johnson

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Fansy posted:

"The best chance you have to reach the American dream is through entrepreneurship. Individual freedom and liberty will better allow you to do that. Create your own job -- don't be a victim. Take control of your own future!" - Gov. Gary Johnson

Translation: Don't be a victim, be a perpetrator!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Service-sector capitalism has left me very alienated.

ayyy lmao

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm rich and white, and I have a great job and all the advantages, so I'm pretty cool with it.

Also, your mom has cock-lips

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
alienation is part of life in a big complex impersonal society imo (and probably even in any human society). the problem is when people deny that they are and act like one big happy inclusive family whether it's at work or through patriotism or the fraudulence that passes for any kind of community these days, and do not try to express or otherwise achieve some level of catharsis with their alienation and inner feelings of listlessness and "anomie". to see other people pretending/believing its all OK is what has always been far more alienating to me than the basic fact of it.

not even talking about depression here, which is basically reverse narcissism imo. i'm talking about something more fundamental to being alive. the fundamental unease, past feelings of happy and sad and whatever else people spend their time running after, or running away from to get by.

and now i'll say something controversial. the biggest achievement of christianity to me is that it brought this kind of language to the surface. original sin/"we're all sinners" is another way of talking about this fundamental unease in a way that can be worked with. the church took it too far over time, but when religion and social theory starts with this kind of acknowledgement, i think it is on the right track towards facilitating the kind of language that gives people the courage to create their own cathartis, however it is they do that for themselves. but religion just like everything else makes cookie cutter thoughts and cookie cutter people, so you can't expect too much from other people's thinking at the end of the day.

ok that's all i got for the thread, cya

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 3, 2015

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

American Incel posted:

Yep. I haven't had a real friend in nearly ten years. I go to work and go home. The only time I leave the house is work, mongering, or a strip club that I frequent.

You should read the book The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
come on over to the doob thread. We're all a close-knit family of hot dog man hatin' goons.

Oh, wait...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think I have the Sickness Unto Death.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Nagato posted:

You should read the book The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq.

i just found this book in my closet, oddly

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

American Incel posted:

the marxian concept of alienation is less about social alienation and more aboutthe alienation of your own labour and you ability to work outside of the control of capital, op.

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

i'm afraid of people not liking me, do you guys like me?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

im jay

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Reddit closed down all the popular subreddits because somebody got fired, now you have to be in the kool klub to see the subreddits.

YeahSo!
Feb 1, 2015

by Lowtax

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
aliens arent real op, what are you loving stupid/?

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 3, 2015

YeahSo!
Feb 1, 2015

by Lowtax

Hot Karl Marx posted:

aliens arent real op, what are you stupid/?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
A tentacled extraterrestrial arthropod spent most of the morning making love to my upper GI tract and now feel sorta alienated while the egg gestated in my chest cavity.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I am actually an alien. Ayyyyy lmao!!!

(Mandatory "gently caress" for rule compliance)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress poo poo cock piss to fill my quota as well

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

and now i'll say something controversial. the biggest achievement of christianity to me is that it brought this kind of language to the surface. original sin/"we're all sinners" is another way of talking about this fundamental unease in a way that can be worked with. the church took it too far over time, but when religion and social theory starts with this kind of acknowledgement, i think it is on the right track towards facilitating the kind of language that gives people the courage to create their own cathartis, however it is they do that for themselves. but religion just like everything else makes cookie cutter thoughts and cookie cutter people, so you can't expect too much from other people's thinking at the end of the day.

its still gay as gently caress because its a transparent attemtp to give meaning to a meaningless existance

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

its still gay as gently caress because its a transparent attemtp to give meaning to a meaningless existance

christianity doesn't assume the universe is in the first place meaningless and then imposes its own meaning onto it. it says this is the truth of the world and its truth is god and his son jesus christ etc, ie it is the truth, to say nothing about meaning.

we only talk about meaninglessness now because of the void being left by the departure of christianity from large swathes of daily life. christianity was the one that gave western civilization the concept of absolute truth in the first place (or at least really rammed it home). there's no possibility of finding or making meaning when there is only one truth (jesus christ in case you forgot!)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hm, I would say, continue to subsume your humanity into soulless corporate hegemony for the comfort of impolite strangers, until you die unmourned, wage slaves like you are nothing but blood for moloch's wretched maw. die there, devoured because you deserve it, deserving it because you knew no better. that's what I'd do

edit: anus wrenching cuntwhallop

Cubone fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 3, 2015

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

HENGRY BUNG posted:

i'm afraid of people not liking me, do you guys like me?

I think you are swell
you are part of the something awful community

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i forgot why i clicked on this thread but anyway here is my post

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hey man count your lucky stars you're not being ford faced and stopwatched by some scientific management prick back in the 20s

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
If service sector capitalism is having any effect on your life at all then you should probably "get a life" as they say,

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
just say "im gay" a lot and you will fit right in.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Tautologicus posted:

alienation is part of life in a big complex impersonal society imo (and probably even in any human society). the problem is when people deny that they are and act like one big happy inclusive family whether it's at work or through patriotism or the fraudulence that passes for any kind of community these days, and do not try to express or otherwise achieve some level of catharsis with their alienation and inner feelings of listlessness and "anomie". to see other people pretending/believing its all OK is what has always been far more alienating to me than the basic fact of it.

not even talking about depression here, which is basically reverse narcissism imo. i'm talking about something more fundamental to being alive. the fundamental unease, past feelings of happy and sad and whatever else people spend their time running after, or running away from to get by.

gently caress you i didnt read that

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what is service sector capitalism im not an ecomonist

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was reloading posted:

gently caress you i didnt read that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
OP thinks they comin' across like a marxist intellectual, but they be coming across like D.Fens from Falling Down.

• Locked thread