Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, it's for celebrating America's Independence (Independence Day), but I think every free country should also celebrate our independence. If not for the USA, other countries probably wouldn't have any freedoms at all. I'm not a history major, but I think we won WW1 and WW2 for everyone. Those are just a couple of examples. If you don't already, you shitbirds should celebrate the USA every 4th of July, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Slaw dog

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I think we have to repel the alien invaders from area 51 with the help of cousin Eddie before that happens.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah, it's for celebrating America's Independence (Independence Day), but I think every free country should also celebrate our independence. If not for the USA, other countries probably wouldn't have any freedoms at all. I'm not a history major, but I think we won WW1 and WW2 for everyone. Those are just a couple of examples. If you don't already, you shitbirds should celebrate the USA every 4th of July, imo.

I was a history major (do you want fries with that?! Just a little joke we have, you probably haven't heard it) and this checks out. Also defeated communism in Vietnam and defeated Islamism in Afghanistan and Iraq. Semper Fi. :911:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm sure all countries celebrate the freedom we forcefully insert into their skulls and drop onto their schools/hospitals/daycare centers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact: Britain had a Bill of Rights and freedoms(if you were a male protestant that owned property) in like 1680.

American law is basically British law with some bells attached and with a heavier influence from fruity French Enlightenment thinkers.

e:
But on the other hand British food is generally poo poo and everything good from European cuisine was actually invented by immigrants living America.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 3, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact: Britain had a Bill of Rights and freedoms(if you were a male protestant that owned property) in like 1680.

American law is basically British law with some bells attached and with a heavier influence from fruity French Enlightenment thinkers.

That's actually not fun at all fucker.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nah, man. Legislative history is pure loving fun.

The study of history in general is just like an endless party.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

That's actually not fun at all fucker.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Yes. Because America is the only truly free country.

Furthermore the July rule loving sucks.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
One time, and American soldier asked me if we have fourth of July. I said no, we go from July 3rd to July 5th.

rear end.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

burritolingus posted:

One time, and American soldier asked me if we have fourth of July. I said no, we go from July 3rd to July 5th.

rear end.

Owned that jarhead hard. Good stuff.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Demonachizer posted:

Owned that jarhead hard. Good stuff.

Later, the same guy asked why I hate America and I just laughed at him. We had been drinking. I don't hate America. I actually think America is really neat.

Motherfucker.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Melmac posted:

Slaw dog

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For all the non american shitheads, just imagine what good you could do if you lived here in the USA instead. Those good things you are kinda able to do now? You should thank us for them every 4th of July.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Thanks Obama.

poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

America is pretty loving neat. Wouldn't want to live there because I like healthcare, chocolate that doesn't taste like vomit and not being shot. But America is both cool and good.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

America is pretty loving neat. Wouldn't want to live there because I like healthcare, chocolate that doesn't taste like vomit and not being shot. But America is both cool and good.

If you are worth a poo poo, you could have a job that provides premium healthcare, you can always import chocolate, and you don't have to live in a ghetto thus not worry about getting shot. Welcome to the 1%(98%)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

There's only one free loving country in the world :patriot:

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

FreudianSlippers posted:

I get that you're going for sarcasm and yet I agree with the heart of your statement, that is to say that America is a good, in a non-sarcastic way.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
I like driving everywhere so America is truly the promised land

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Well, grandpa flies a 48-star flag every 4th. Not because he hates Alaska or Hawaii, but because his parents brought it back to Norway with them.

Of course, my entire family, both sides, is "yeah we tried living in the US but came back after making some money and marrying", so make of that what you want.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yes we celebrate being rid of you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sounds like youre a bitch with nothing to contribute. STAY OUT, bitch.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

XMNN posted:

yes we celebrate being rid of you

All of the Commonwealth secretly celebrates the 4th of July for just that reason. During the 17th century, the power of the Church was declining, Lutherism and the Church of England were wrecking it and making massive inroads, but instead of establishing an opposing oppressive theocracy they were both sorta meh when it came to religious genocide. The Enlightenment was just starting up after all. But the powers that be in these anti-Rome areas knew they couldn't just kill the various pro-genocide sociopaths, there were too many of them and they were super scary. So they sent them away to the new world, in ships such as the Mayflower, hoping against hope that they would all starve to death or be killed by natives.

It didn't happen, they survived, as a disgusting racist libertarian fundy stain on the British Empire, an embarrassment to the entire world, that good British men still had to defend against French and Spanish interests. So when they refused to pay their fair share of these wars that were fought to defend them, of course they were let go. A token effort was made to keep them and their constant drain on resources, an effort calculated to get rid of any remaining sociopaths in the homeland by enlisting them into the officer corps and getting them sent over there to be killed. Win/win.

No coincidence that the British Empire achieved its ultimate greatness after the US war of independence.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
im like 90% sure other countries have holidays either created on or around this date just to avoid the shame of realizing that they would otherwise be celebrating our holiday

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

yes, but only recently after will smith and jeff goldblum infiltrated the alien mothership and uploaded a virus that left all the other ships vulnerable to our weapons, giving us the fighting chance we needed to save the human species and win our independence as a species.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yep, every 4th of July I get my huge rear end poster of Abe Lincoln out and look at it solemnly whilst waving a little American Flag and saluting for a full 30 seconds.

I then give Abe a kiss on the lips and whisper "see you next year Abe", and roll him back up.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

lol whatever, celebrate your 'independence' doesnt change the fact that the us is still technically a british colony and owes us most of its gold, silver copper and other profits...

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/united_states_british_colony.htm

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
America celebrates it and that's the only country that God made free, so yes.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

have fun america :unsmith:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poetic Justice posted:

Technically speaking the Dutch beat us to it

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

yoyodyne posted:

America celebrates it and that's the only country that God made free, so yes.

is this man free?

what about this fellow does he have freedom?

and this lady is she free?

and this guy is he free?

what about these folk were they free?

land of the free my hairy arse

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shirley Crabtree posted:

is this man free?

what about this fellow does he have freedom?

and this lady is she free?

and this guy is he free?

what about these folk were they free?

land of the free my hairy arse

once we get rid of them, we'll be free

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
20th of July is a major holiday in the Netherlands.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

freedom isn't free

gas and ban OP

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm not a history major, but I think we won WW1 and WW2 for everyone.

You certainly are not if that's what you think.

FreudianSlippers posted:

To go further, weve had moderately decent freedoms since King John signed the Magna Carta in 1215. It wasn't perfect, but it was a huge leap forward.

*EDIT*
And anyone that thinks that we who live in the west, especially the U.S and U.K are free... well lol if you think we live in free countries.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 3, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I hope everybody has a nice Colonials Getting Uppity weekend, it is only a matter of time before HRH The Queen personally comes over and beats your puny president in a rage in the cage match and we take back what is rightfully ours.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
bastille day is better because it celebrates a real revolution, not a bunch of slave owning aristocrats bitching about having to pay taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
also the true revolutionary holiday for those in the know is 24 october

• Locked thread