Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like every other sport has more or less decent refs. you'd think they could hire some dudes who won't get distracted while a guy beats another guy with a folding chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i like the one ref with the blond shaggy bowlcut thing going on

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
because its theatre op

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

they can't all be this guy

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
where would i even train to be a wwe ref? seems like a fun job.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
those who can't do, referoo

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
They're union, so you can't fire them.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
They're better than NBA refs.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
its not real

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wafflz posted:

Did they fire that dude out of a cannon?

Also wrestling is fake and gay.

e:

Harald posted:

where would i even train to be a wwe ref? seems like a fun job.

Acting school.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Its because wrestling is pretend OP.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

because it's boring if they do their job you loser

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

spud posted:

Did they fire that dude out of a cannon?

Little naitch is just that loving fast, bro.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i dont loving know

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Wrestling referees have a lot to deal with so I think if you consider that you'll find they're doing a good job of their job.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

To be eligible for a pro wrestling referee license, you have to be able to check off having at least one of the following:

____ Momentary Blindness
____ Narcolepsy
____ Spontaneous Brain Aneurysms

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 3, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wafflz posted:

almost as impressive as that midget who slides on his forehead

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
It's a shame because lil naitch, teddy long, Tim white, the evil nwo ref whose name escapes me, all awesome loving dudes. They just suck terribly at their jobs of enforcing a fair contest.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Wafflz posted:

Still less of a hotdog than than Jim Joyce

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
They should do an angle where someone cheats to win a match and convinces the WWE to redo it with replay then while theyre huddled over the replay booth the heel hits the face with a wicked chair shot and they cant DQ for the chairshot because their replay system uses VHS tapes lmao

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

TheJoker138 posted:

thats not naitch, little naitch did a cartwheel

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOV5WXISM24

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Odd to be reminded that's a real song and not just a thing made for OSW review

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Because wrestlers are all medically verified retards, and referees are usually those who couldn't make it in the business as a wrestler, but wanted to get involved somehow.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Bad writing/booking/whatever. It used to be that chairs and stuff would cause a DQ and I can't imagine why that changed if you wanted to maintain even the illusion of wrestling not being fake. Just because the match ended doesn't mean bad guys aren't bad guys.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

TheJoker138 posted:

Like the wind.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Its because wrestling is pretend OP.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

its not real

Also wrestling is fake and gay.

Wow this is really triggering, should be bannable to make stuff up like this. Mods? Mods?! Mods!!!!!!

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Pneub posted:

Like the wind.

Panamaniac fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 4, 2015

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

burritolingus posted:

Wrestling referees have a lot to deal with so I think if you consider that you'll find they're doing a good job of their job.

Truth
any sport with referees people complain about th referees. I will admit I do sometimes I thing some refs may be paid off. It's tragic, but possible. Or maybe they are scared, they see lot of violence.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Happy days are here agaaaaaain!!!!

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwEzysrU_k

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

BigBoss posted:

They're union, so you can't fire them.

lol nobody in pro wrestling is union

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

I'm not gonna lie that makes Stone Cold and Wrestling look loving awesome. Maybe I should watch wrestling more.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Chris Benoit, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Chris Benoit. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Chris Benoit is a murderer. He killed his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Chris Benoit. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Chris Benoit as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Chris Benoit in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 40 years-old.

Chris Benoit was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like MVP, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Nancy, and not for their child.

Chris Benoit owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Chris Benoit is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Chris Benoit was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I'm not gonna lie that makes Stone Cold and Wrestling look loving awesome. Maybe I should watch wrestling more.

No, don't. Wrestling is super bad now and Stone Cold does a podcast that's way better.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Dicere posted:

Bad writing/booking/whatever. It used to be that chairs and stuff would cause a DQ and I can't imagine why that changed if you wanted to maintain even the illusion of wrestling not being fake. Just because the match ended doesn't mean bad guys aren't bad guys.

Fun fact: vince mcmahon built his empire on making sure people knew it was fake. Before him, wrestling was billed as real, and as such only attracted seedy adults. By letting people know it was fake, mcmahon brought in the $$$ family audience

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Stone Cold was one of a kind and the late 90s were perfect for him. America loved an antihero at that time more than ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Idiot Kicker posted:

Stone Cold was one of a kind and the late 90s were perfect for him. America loved an antihero at that time more than ever.

Dean Ambrose could be Stone Cold 2.0 right now, but the WWE hates that people like him instead of John Cena so instead they made him into Bugs Bunny.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Wasn't there a "bad guy" ref in the wwf way back when that would purposely let his favorites win? At one point he had to wrestle some of the wwf wrestlers. This was a decade or 2 ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Dean Ambrose could be Stone Cold 2.0 right now, but the WWE hates that people like him instead of John Cena so instead they made him into Bugs Bunny.

The last time I watched Raw or anything was when he was brand new. Is it worse than 2012/13 or whenever that was?

• Locked thread