Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

"loving GOD drat CONTROLLER! I KEEP GETTING "OWNED" BY THIS SEVEN YEAR OLD BASTARD. I WILL DEFEAT HIM WITH MY $200 XBOX CONTROLLER THEN I WILL BE THE WINNER HAHAHA"

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

is it actually $200 or is that just in fake kiwi money

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

but there has been a woman on the $10 note for ages

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
displeased moo cow, it looks like you don't have service. how is the cellular coverage in new zealand these days?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it's 4g bitch

just not at my farm house :ssh:

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 3, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
haha, lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's weird how much the xbox is like other failed consoles

rapid, drastic price drops

new gimmicky add-ons

peter moore being involved

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i played 10 games of proclubs last night in fifa with the boys on the xbone, we avoided relegation and are primed to breeze through to the next division now

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

teen bear posted:

is it actually $200 or is that just in fake kiwi money
its $150USD

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I was about to give you poo poo but then I remembered that the seasons are backwards in nz so you probably not need to worry about your crops

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

five asterisks????

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
teh Xbox si hueg

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

what is a quid

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

why pixellate out the d-pad

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Skarp posted:

what is a quid

a coupla bob

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skarp posted:

what is a quid

i haven't played quidditch in a while, but i think it's 3 points?

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

univbee posted:

i thought that was a blumper or a bludger or some'fin innit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Space-Pope posted:

its $150 Earth Dollars

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

are you a kid or a quid

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
how's the farming going op?

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.
instead of that controller, have you considered purchasing some farm tools for your farm?

"plough" the money back in, as it were. :tipshat:

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Space-Pope posted:

its $150USD

lmbo

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

i never understood why, if the snitch would instantly win a game, they have any other points to begin with

explain that JK ROWLING

please don't i really dont give a gently caress

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Migishu posted:

i never understood why, if the snitch would instantly win a game, they have any other points to begin with

explain that JK ROWLING

the rules never changed despite advancements in broomstick technology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume for $150 it comes with a built-in lithium-ion battery and USB charging

:laugh:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
xb1x is still the superior nomenclature for the third xbox which they called xbox one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

I assume for $150 it comes with a built-in lithium-ion battery and USB charging

:laugh:

also no wireless adapter for win10 pc's, it's still an additional $30 purchase

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Im pretty sure $150 is a normal price for that kind of 'modded' controller. Its not like any one here will want one anyways. waht's the big deal?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

The new consoles are arriving soon, with Microsoft and Sony competing for the success of their latest consoles, which should be out sometime in or around November. Normally I wouldn't write something like this, but there are some pretty important things at stake with this particular battle that could change for worse the way future media is distributed. You may have heard it discussed on the news, but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around that I'm going to attempt to set straight.

The short version is that if you want to buy one of the next generation consoles, I implore you to go with the Sony PlayStation 4. The good news is that this system will be $100 cheaper ($400) than Microsoft's Xbox One ($500), so we're already off to an excellent start. Neither unit is backwards compatible with its predecessor, so even if you have a lot of Xbox 360 games you can keep that console and start fresh with a PS4; you'd be starting fresh with an Xbox One anyway.

The main difference is that Microsoft is looking to permanently change how media ownership works. Basically, if you buy a game you are more or less stuck with it, with very few avenues to sell it, exchange it, or give it away. Every game comes with a unique serial number, or product key code. You're probably familiar with how these work if you've ever installed Microsoft Office or a paid Adobe product like Photoshop. These must be registered to your account before you can start playing the game. Once registered, transfers have to go through Microsoft. A license can be given away once to one of your friends; they can't intern give the game to someone else or give it back to you, they are then stuck with it forever. Trading in games at stores will only be possible at stores that have a service agreement with Microsoft and a computer system allowing them to manage licenses, which will cut off smaller stores and likely be limited to larger outfits like EB Games and Future Shop. This will also not be possible initially when the system comes out, and a publisher can disable all of these functions; first buyer is the only allowed user.

In order to manage these licenses, the console itself will require a persistent high-speed internet connection. If the Xbox One is unable to communicate with Microsoft's online license servers for longer than 24 hours, ALL games will be automatically disabled until the connection is re-established. The system will be locked down to 21 countries initially, with some fairly important markets missing, including all of Africa, Asia, as well as Japan, a country so video game crazy that Space Invaders' 1978 caused a coin shortage in the entire country. All games will have to be purchased in your home country and the system can only be used in your home country (this likely means no travel between Canada and the U.S. with it). When Microsoft was challenged with what that meant for soldiers stationed overseas on R&R time, or in the Navy on a connection-less submarine, Microsoft's answer was a smug "We have a system for [you], it's called the Xbox 360 [the system they released 7 years ago]". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...alled-xbox-360/)

All Xbox One consoles come with a Kinect, a camera that must be connected and pointed at your couch for the system to work. Microsoft took out a patent that leverages the technology to limit the number of people in your living room for pay per view events and the like. If your world cup party has too many people, it will either disable the signal or bill you, and the amount billed could be huge (like what sports bars pay). You can view the patent here: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=DN/20120278904

Finally, it's likely that in the future, when the Xbox One's successor is released, Microsoft will take down the activation servers, once they've decided that they're no longer cost-effective to keep up and running. They've already done exactly this for their first Xbox, a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. (http://www.itworld.com/personal-tec...inal-xbox-games) These blatant money-grabbing anti-consumer tactics are in sharp contrast to Sony's, a region-free console that uses traditional discs. If you want to trade a game, all that has to happen is for the disc to change hands. That's all, the end. (A video demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA)

If you're wondering what happened with the Xbox 360's success, well, the short version is that Microsoft got lucky because Sony screwed up the PlayStation 3's launch. While it had a subscription fee, Microsoft's multiplayer services were unprecedented since the original Xbox's 2002 launch, and the PS3's version of the service, while free, was lacking in a lot of areas, especially since the Xbox and Xbox 360 simply had more people playing them (which is very important for multiplayer). Coming off the runaway success of PlayStations 1 and 2, Sony launched their system a year late at an incredibly high price point ($500-$600), mainly in an attempt to get Blu-ray into as many homes as possible to defeat the then-contender HD-DVD. While Blu-ray eventually won that war, it cost them some success in the video game world, which took an especially hard hit when their servers were compromised and many of their online services were disabled for several weeks. Sony did an amazing thing by pretty much admitting that they screwed up and were doing everything possible to make it right, which is unheard of for a corporation, especially one based in the notoriously face-saving Japanese culture (you can view their apology here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u8W784FTkw). Their services have improved by leaps and bounds, and they have caught up nicely. The Xbox 360 was only really successful in the U.S. and Canada, with many of its benefits being U.S.-only, something they don't appear to have learned from this time around. Their first units also had a failure rate so high that a class action was eventually leveraged against Microsoft for the design flaw.

Coupled with Windows 8, it's clear to me that Microsoft is management culture gone berserk, with the decision makers insulated by yes men and who think they can impose their will on the public, which you can also see with Windows 8 as they tried to impose their app store onto everyone (they wanted their cut the same way Apple gets theirs). I'll be sticking to Windows 7 outside of work, and my next laptop when the time comes will, despite the high cost, likely be a Mac.

If you have any questions about anything I've said, or any other computer/video game questions, let me know. Thank you!

:grin:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really wish the xbone had launched with the original drm in place it would have been spectacular to watch

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

Migishu posted:

explain that JK ROWLING

cause sometimes the snitch is never caught and then it's not really a team game

:goonsay:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

explain that JK ROWLING

Skarp posted:

cause sometimes the snitch is never caught and then it's not really a team game

:goonsay:

catching the snitch only ENDS the game and gives the team that caught it +150 points, its not an instant win but it usually does win the game. iirc the book mentioned a game that lasted for months while they looked for the snitch with teams having to swap in players for sleep breaks, so it would probably always need to be caught

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yr a human being harry

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

yr a human being harry

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCV6RusogAk