Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:eng101: The 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup is the 13th edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup competition and 23rd CONCACAF regional championship overall in CONCACAF's 52 years of existence. The past several tournaments have been held in the United States, because of course. This year, Canada (Toronto, specifically) will host a couple games.

Pictured: The USA lifts the gaudy-as-gently caress Gold Cup in 2013

As the 2013 Gold Cup coincided with CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, most countries sent a B or B-minus squad. The USA sent what in hindsight was probably a B-plus squad, and defeated most of their opponents with ease en route to the final in Chicago, in which Dane Brekken Shea scored the lone goal to defeat Panama (remember, this was when Mexico was really down) in perhaps the most boring match I’ve ever witnessed firsthand.

This year, however, most are sending their best sides. Teams also can replace up to six of their players between the group stage and the knockout rounds.

If the USA does not win this year’s Gold Cup, they will meet the winner in a playoff (maybe later this year? I bet even CONCACAF hasn’t figured that out yet) to determine who plays in the 2017 Confederations Cup. Also — and I just learned this tidbit on Wikipedia — the top four teams excluding those which have qualified before the tournament, namely the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica (winners of the 2014 Copa Centroamericana), and Jamaica (winners of the 2014 Caribbean Cup), will qualify for playoffs which will determine the final two places of the Copa América Centenario, which is supposed to take place next summer. Or maybe not.

This year’s competitors (rosters)

Group A
Haiti
Honduras
Panama
USA

Group B
Canada
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Jamaica

Group C
Cuba
Guatemala
Mexico
Trinidad & Tobago

Fixtures (I believe FOX Sports has the TV rights to all matches, for those of you in the USA looking to watch)

Yep, there's a third place match now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I hope the Reggae Boyz use their raw athleticism to lift the cup

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
is this the same as the Copa America? we already have a thread for that

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Mean Bean Machine posted:

its much worse

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

fat greasy puto posted:

its much worse

I'm ready to support my 3rd best team, Jamaica

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Unless Chris Wondolowski is netting hat tricks in that, no.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Why haven't the US brought Danny Williams he is fully sick and would improve the squad loads

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I'm ready to support my 3rd best team, Jamaica

are you

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Real Name Grover posted:

Unless Chris Wondolowski is netting hat tricks in that, no.

who's that?

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Chicharito getting injured against Honduras rules him out. The USMNT have this in the bag.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

I think he was in Monsters inc

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I hear rumors that a fictional country called ca-na-da at some point actually won this cup, C/D?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
This is a good cup I will be watching.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
UEFA SUPREMACY

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hmmm I don't know It seems that these Concacaf teams very recently embarrassed UEFA "powerhouses" Portugal, Italy, and England at the last world cup. Even Mexico beat the Croatians....

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
from where i was it looked like uefa won the world cup?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This is a good cover, makes me happy everytime I see it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Insurrectionist posted:

I hear rumors that a fictional country called ca-na-da at some point actually won this cup, C/D?

Yep, in 2000. That was back when CONCACAF invited guest participants; Korea, Peru and Colombia all played in it. Canada played Colombia in the final.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Last time I checked Canadian Men's National Team was like a one star team, not even sure if they're in FIFA 15. Fail.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
concacaf gold cup? more like con caca fail fag

-fat greasy puto

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Montasque posted:

Last time I checked Canadian Men's National Team was like a one star team, not even sure if they're in FIFA 15. Fail.

they aren't, EA can't afford the huge licensing fees

i think if you manually create the team they're two star tho

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Azerban posted:

I did some research on this subject OP and it seems you are correct. Also, the Canadians Women's National Team will be in FIFA 16, but the men will not be. Ironically the FIFA games are made in Canada...

I feel bad for the young men growing up in Canada. They will never get to feel the glory of lifting the cup in FIFA 16 unless they play as a girl.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Azerban posted:

Huge licensing fees, aka can't source the ratings of players playing in the Uzbek third division.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

meat CRime posted:

Chicharito getting injured against Honduras rules him out. The USMNT have this in the bag.

Oribe Peralta is the more dangerous striker considering Herrera's one dimensional tactics and Mexico's total lack of creativity.

I mean the US is still going to win because the FMF are a loose conglomeration of corrupt crooks and nationalistic mouthbreathers, but its not because Chicharito is out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Oribe Peralta is the more dangerous striker considering Herrera's one dimensional tactics and Mexico's total lack of creativity.

I mean the US is still going to win because the FMF are a loose conglomeration of corrupt crooks and nationalistic mouthbreathers, but its not because Chicharito is out.

I was gonna say Hernandez has been so poo poo for the national team that I actually would worry about Peralta more, but you know when Mexico is unceremoniously dumped out of the tournament the excuses will be "Hernandez missed the cup".

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Why haven't the US brought Danny Williams he is fully sick and would improve the squad loads

apparently he is mildly injured which is also the reason why Geoff Cameron is not on the team

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I was gonna say Hernandez has been so poo poo for the national team that I actually would worry about Peralta more, but you know when Mexico is unceremoniously dumped out of the tournament the excuses will be "Hernandez missed the cup".

It's a weird thing because I think Hernandez is the better player but Mexican press, fans, and the FMF just refuse to accept that he's a more narrow and limited striker than they desperately want to believe.

When Mexico loses they are going to say they missed Hernandez but really its because Mexican football as a whole has been regressing for 10 years.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

poo poo Farm posted:

from where i was it looked like uefa won the world cup?

Gonna need a source

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Cityinthesea posted:

apparently he is mildly injured which is also the reason why Geoff Cameron is not on the team

IDK about Williams, and I wish he would've been on this roster because Beckerman is over the hill, Diskerud is not a holding mid no matter how hard Klinsmann tries and Alfredo Morales has yet to do anything to impress.

Stoke apparently asked Klinsmann to let Cameron sit this one out.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

mods keep the euros out of here

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Eelface posted:

mods keep the euros out of here

THIS IS ARE COUNTRYCONTINENT
:911::canada::mexico::punto::rznv:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm not sure why they dont just give the trophy to Costa Rica as the clearly superior + cool team eligible for it. Maybe a play-off with Canada for it at a stretch.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is this competition? Go Atletico de Kolkota I guess

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Didn't this competition end just yesterday? No need for a new thread

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

It's dumb as hell that this is played every two years. I kinda hate this stupid cup, can't wait until we don't win this once again :suicide:

Hopefully someone kills Miller and Myrie during the group stage and Chope will be forced to call up Waston and Francis, who should have been there all along.

Also in case you didn't know, cool guy Keylor is injured so this guy will be on goal for us. Pitch invaders beware

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 6, 2015

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Drogadon posted:

It's dumb as hell that this is played every two years.

Counterpoint - it's some foot in the summer that we can watch

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

is wanchope really managing costa rica now? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

straight up brolic posted:

is wanchope really managing costa rica now? lol

He is, and he is not near experienced enough but people have been unfairly making GBS threads on him since he took over because the press made up a story about him loving over Pinto to make the federation not renew his contract.

People love Pinto for obvious reasons so they believed that story, ignoring that Pinto is a psycho and has a history of falling out with clubs/federations. His record so far has not been stellar but he got us the central american cup and some good, some mediocre showings on friendlies. His real test is this cup and they will probably sack him if we don't win, specially because his friend Li is in swiss jail now.

• Locked thread