Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK, has anything been revealed through those torn letters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

OK, has anything been revealed through those torn letters?

Nothing yet but you don't actually find out what they say until you find all the pieces. I'll put them out when I get around to the last video.

Mostly they bring up more burning questions and implications!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Keep on truckin' Leslie. Nothing wrong going on here!

50: Leslie's Bizarre Adventure/Polsy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that by this point the world has pretty much given up on what little semblance of connectivity there once was, and now it's like ahh gently caress it just plop her down anywhere. :allears:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I just want to note, as someone who does not own a single pair of flat shoes (except for a pair of slippers I wear when smoking on the balcony,) running like Kidman does in a pair of stilettes is close to impossible. You see, running in "normal" heals is quite plausible, but even walking in stilettos you have to learn to put your toe down first and only use the heel for balance because it can't support your weight.
So if Kidman had worn a pair of heels that was at least a bit more substantial running in them would be doable but running the way she is in a pair of stilettos is honestly not possible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

She evidently went to the Raiden school of running with heels.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the rest of her attire is really sensible but I'm pretty sure any cop who expects to see even a little action should have flats, if not running sneakers.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Having had recent experience with running in heels it's doable but you definitely have to be focusing on landing on the balls of your feet over your heels/mid-foot. Then again I've also got chunky heels so I imagine stilettos are still a very different story. Why I'm in heels will wait until later.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perfecting your Kidman cosplay before they hook you up to STEM, I assume.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The thing that throws me off is the amazing strength of everyone's calf muscles when they move while crouching.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

The thing that throws me off is the amazing strength of everyone's calf muscles when they move while crouching.
It was the tradeoff for having terrible running endurance.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today I am foiled both by a less than ideal weapon and my own lousy close-quarters battle skills.

51: Quickdraw Kidman/Polsy

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Was I miss seeing things or were there 2 shells popping out of the single shot shotgun?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
No, it was clearly a double-barrel. That's why he was only getting one shot, it was firing both shells.

So, that file you picked up was titled Indoctrination. Judging from how she went from defiant and WTF from the start to monotone, I'm guessing there was probably some serious mind-altering stuff in that cocktail she was shot up with. Hell, that file alone made me start rethinking this whole "Kidman chose to join Mobius" angle. Might just be that they grabbed her off the street and drugged her into being a lackey agent.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

No, it was clearly a double-barrel. That's why he was only getting one shot, it was firing both shells.

So, that file you picked up was titled Indoctrination. Judging from how she went from defiant and WTF from the start to monotone, I'm guessing there was probably some serious mind-altering stuff in that cocktail she was shot up with. Hell, that file alone made me start rethinking this whole "Kidman chose to join Mobius" angle. Might just be that they grabbed her off the street and drugged her into being a lackey agent.

Also: the question the agent asks Kidman at the end. It's the question that Shadow Man started asking Kidman.

Which implies that her entire memory of the administrator guy asking her those questions and the meeting in his office was a warped fabrication. We're not just dealing with memories, we're dealing with false memories.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The final episode, in which answers are given and yet I am left with pretty much the same number of questions. Possibly more questions.

52: Shady Business/Polsy

Also, for those interested, the put-together torn letters are here.

Torn Letter 1: The Assignment
Torn letter 2: The Consequence

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for the LP. It was quite the experience watching it unfold as you did.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
That fast walk is creepy as hell.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was awesome. Thanks, Scruffy. Is "Myra" some sort of Resi reference?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

That was awesome. Thanks, Scruffy. Is "Myra" some sort of Resi reference?

Myra is Sebastian's missing wife. She didn't go missing. She's working for Mobius, apparently. At a high-level position, even!

Also complicating everything is Julie now has the weird scar on her hand.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

Myra is Sebastian's missing wife. She didn't go missing. She's working for Mobius, apparently. At a high-level position, even!

Also complicating everything is Julie now has the weird scar on her hand.

DOH! Of course she is. Ooo. Ta.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So it looks like T.E.W. is, alas, one of those games with an ending that just adds questions, as opposed to actually make you think about it all. Bummer.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Samovar posted:

So it looks like T.E.W. is, alas, one of those games with an ending that just adds questions, as opposed to actually make you think about it all. Bummer.

Basically. Seb's ending was definitely supposed to be a "But is it REALLY over...?" horror story type ending with Ruvik walking free, but Kidman's ending is clearly meant to have sequel implications to it. What is "Mobius" and why is Sebastian's wife an administrative level member? Did Joseph really die? Does Kidman have scary shadowlord powers now? Find out in The Evil Within 2: Shinji Mikami's Disco Nightmare!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had to make assumptions based on what we're given, I'd say Sebastian's wife is part of Mobius because they caught wind of her digging into their history, killed the Castellanos' child and burned down their home to ward her away, and then when that only reinforced her efforts (because she knew it was no accident) they abducted her and brainwashed her under the guise that they'd leave Sebastian alone. Then they DID leave him alone, but by pure coincidence he happened to be paired up with Kidman on the same day she was due to enter STEM herself to retrieve Leslie.

The reason I say this is because there's evidence that they do brainwash inductees (which we saw a couple of videos ago along with a matching audio log), and Sebastian's personal diary notes that Myra's research is on what we can safely assume to be Mobius.

edit: I think the ending of both campaigns can be taken completely at face value, as they do happen in the real world. Kidman was never actually connected to the machine physically as she sees herself in this latest episode, she was inducted in via the sound wave just as Sebastian, Joseph, and Connelly are. The mechanics of how she exited STEM are a mystery, but she's somehow found her way to the main operations room in the real world. Leslie wakes up in the end sequence, so for all MOBIUS knows, she succeeded in her mission. And she is still an operative of MOBIUS, because nothing in the dlc actually happened except for the very, very, VERY beginning when she is injected with her Ruvik-deterrent.

Alternatively, she was inducted at the time where we see she is in the beginning of The Assignment, but the Ruvik-deterrent kept her out of STEM's reality fuckery long enough to get her to the hospital with the rest of the main characters. This could also make sense because her eyes are already purple in the game's introduction (they're brown outside of STEM) and she doesn't react to the sound wave in the same way the rest of the cop car's occupants do. It really doesn't matter which interpretation you believe though since the result is the same.

So, since the police call at the start actually was real and the murders actually did happen- who they were committed by is a mystery because what Sebastian sees in the main game's intro is after he is already inside STEM, and they exist in the real world in his ending -the MOBIUS crew has to high-tail it out of the building, which is why it's abandoned of staff when Seb wakes up. Kidman told her superiors that Sebastian was dead (along with Connelly and presumably Jimenez, who actually ARE dead), so they left him behind. But then he woke up for real and was able to make his own way out just after the real-life police arrived on the scene. We don't know what happened to Kidman, presumably she left with MOBIUS. We can also assume that Ruvik escaped through Leslie via what we learned in this DLC.

If you want even more of a :psyduck:, the lady being talked to by the director in the end sequence is Tatiana (the save room nurse). Same face and glasses.

edit again:

If THAT wasn't enough for you in the realm of mindfuckery, this guy:

seen only on a wanted poster in Sebastian's campaign, is the corpse that Kidman gets her pistol from when she's trapped under the rubble in The Assignment:

Saying all this stuff is kinda funny to me considering my own LP of the game is still at literally the very beginning of it all. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 25, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Based on the second letter I think that Ruvik is becoming much more than one man. He possibly corrupted the Shadow man in Kidman's head and now is deep in her subconscious, using the Shadow man as a disguise so she doesn't even realise that she has a little piece of psychopath in her head. Or the Shadow Man itself has a purpose other than making sure Kidman does her job, perhaps the leader of Mobius is trying to produce more people who think exactly like he does and this was a convenient time for a first test, it'd certainly explain his interest in STEM beyond being a bad guy running a nefarious organisation.

I also suspect that the whole radio/wireless STEM connection is actually just people getting confused about when and how they get in and out, because everything else suggests you need a physical connection to the machine for it to do anything and for a horror game there's almost no magic going on, sharing minds through a machine is far more science fiction. So people who think there's a wireless connection are actually being tricked because they're already in the machine and once inside Ruivk can use 'wireless' to drag you further down into his own consciousness. This is also why people start transforming after a pulse, it's Ruvik making an active attempt at control over the shared consciousness instead of just passively doing so by being the strongest will in their.

I actually suspect the reason Kidman wakes up already standing is because the Shadow Man (Ruvik?) takes control whilst she wakes up from STEM as Sebastian also seems to take a while to wake up and the Shadow Man as a consciousness wasn't getting whatever drug cocktail is used to keep people asleep when using STEM. He probably cut the mark in her hand whilst doing so as well, perhaps as a reminder that he's still in there or as a mark of ownership.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 25, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
One last update to finish it off I think. Instead of a video, here's all the pictures from the model viewer. Because I'm lazy. Thanks for watching!

Also if anyone was still curious about my experience in high heels I was in a Rocky Horror Picture Show last weekend. It was fun.

Sebastian Castellanos
Sebastian Castellanos (Trench Coat)
Juli Kidman
Juli Kidman (Wounded)
Joseph Oda
Nurse Tatiana
Leslie Withers
Marcelo Jimenez
Laura Victoriano
Ruvik (Ruben Victoriano)
Ruvik (Without Robe)
Ruben Victoriano (Child)
Ruben Victoriano (Child, Scarred)
Young Adult Ruben
AlterEgo
Sadist
Zehn
Neun
The Keeper
Trauma
Sentinel
Laura (Creature)
Quell
Shigyo
Amalgam Alpha
Heresy
Amalgam
Amalgam Core
Haunted (Group A)
Haunted (Group B)
Haunted (Group C)
Haunted (Group D)
Haunted (Group E)
Haunted (Group F)
Animals
Sebastian (Young)
Sebastian and Joseph (Young)
Sebastian (Haunted)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Great LP scruffy, thanks for doing it. Watching was a lot of fun. :)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Ditto the above, and added thanks for showing me how wrong I was in my initial impressions of the game. I had little idea that there actually lay something interesting behind all the hype and gore.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Thanks for doing the LP for us! I enjoyed watching you and listening to that nervous laugh. Good stuff, man.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Did a great job Scruffy! You know.. Looking at the game as a whole- They left a good hook to it. But the problem is you NEED to DLC to get this hook. But I wouldn't mind a sequel that explained some things or see what happens to the others.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...so, when's the new Batman LP?

(Or is the format on PC still utter poo poo?)

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Samovar posted:

I am guessing it is going to be after all the DLC drops.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Samovar posted:

The Pc verison is currently offering full refunds. They Re-released it, and its 100% utter poo poo still.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

YOTC posted:

The Pc verison is currently offering full refunds. They Re-released it, and its 100% utter poo poo still.

Yeah, like you can play longer in win10 if you have at least 12GB of ram.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Nthing the thanks for the LP! I really wanted to love this game but the bombs (combined with an early put-you-back-30-mins checkpoint) just ruined it for me. It was really cool to see the game without the frustration.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The Kidman DLC actually feels like the game these game mechanics were supposed to create, if that makes any sense. Though it does get a little Alan Wake-y at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Thanks for the LP Scruffy it left me more confused than before I even started watching. Also I'm pretty pissed they didn't do more with the chemical lights.

• Locked thread