Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
Problem description: Twofold problem:

1) Have a gifted laptop running Win 8 that appears to be infected with malware. Said laptop is an HP 15 g019wm. Navigating with IE seems to be problematic with the machine just going random seeming places and not responding to commands. IE is the only web browser installed. AV software is long out of date.

2) Have no admin access to allow installation of software. DO have restricted, user-level access to computer.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

I've tried doing an end-run around the OS and using a Linux based PW cracker. The damned EUFI doesn't want to let me boot to the Linux disk despite several variant tries at different boot options. So, I suspect I could deal with the problem IF I could just get admin level access. Unfortunately the guy who set it up forgot the damned password. Have tried obvious common passwords with no luck. If I could get it to boot from a Linux disk I could always go the DBAN route, but that seems excessive for now. In any case I haven't been able to get it to boot from either CD or flash drive. Have no Win 8 install disk to try, either.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
This is a good question. This laptop was serving as the public access computer in a coffee shop that was run by a friend until the place went belly up. I suspect someone either carelessly or deliberately infected it with malware. Other than that, no, I haven't made any changes other than the boot order of the BIOS.
--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 8.1

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number: HP 15 g019wm As far as I know the machine is stock, just like it came from the factory.
i.e. like this: http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-15-g019wm-15-6-e1-2100-windows-8-1-64-bit-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd-f9h60uaaba/specs/

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can you bring up the HP recovery console at boot? That machine almost certainly has a recovery partition, and you should be able to use it to reinstall the original image the machine shipped with. It looks like repeatedly pressing F11 after powering on the machine should take you to that console.

If you don't care about anything currently on the machine then this should at least get you up and running (and then need a lot of updates).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-g019wm-Notebook-PC-(ENERGY-STAR)/6545564/model/6761879/document/c03546603

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
If you can get into the BIOS, you will need to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot (or BIOS boot) in order to boot off a Linux disk. You will then need to change those options back for Windows to work again.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can you bring up the HP recovery console at boot? That machine almost certainly has a recovery partition, and you should be able to use it to reinstall the original image the machine shipped with. It looks like repeatedly pressing F11 after powering on the machine should take you to that console.

If you don't care about anything currently on the machine then this should at least get you up and running (and then need a lot of updates).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-g019wm-Notebook-PC-(ENERGY-STAR)/6545564/model/6761879/document/c03546603

Thanks! Looks like that worked.

• Locked thread