Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Greetings everyone and welcome to...

What is This?
For this thread, I will be playing Final Fantasy V Advance - a GBA port of the SNES game, Final Fantasy III - but it's not that simple; I'll be playing with a twist. I'm going to be participating in the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2015. This is a big charity event that's been going on for a few summers now. Check the official website or the SA thread for more details, but the general idea is that I will be restricted to only four jobs throughout the entire game (one from each crystal). I cannot use any other jobs and I must have at least one character in each of my assigned jobs that are available to me. The jobs are decided randomly by a twitter bot @FF5ForFutures. This should be pretty interesting!

A VLP of a JRPG... Are You Mad?
I think so! Actually, I know that this is kind of a no-no in the LP world but I'm doing it this way for one big reason, the whole point of the Fiesta restrictions is that it makes the fights more interesting and dynamic. Strategy becomes a real factor. I think the best way to convey that would be through video (a medium that I know very well). That being said, I also am in tune with what is entertaining and what is plain boring - I will be sure to mainly show fights that contain new things, interesting turns of events, cool strategies, or close calls; most other random encounters will be cut out. Don't worry, I got this!

You Mentioned Charity?
Yes! The Fiesta was designed to raise money for Child's Play and you can donate in my name to cheer me on! In order to make a donation, go to the official website and click the "Donate" button on the box in the top left of the screen. Please also post your pledge either in this thread or on twitter by tweeting #pledge to @FF5ForFutures with your donation amount. If you do the twitter post, please also include my handle, @MeccaPrime, so that I can keep a running tally on any donations made on my behalf. I may have some rewards for reaching certain collective goals (to be determined).

Crystal Assignments

Wind: Knight | Water: None | Fire: None | Earth: None

Videos

MeccaPrime fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Post reserved for official fiesta business!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've always wanted to do the four job fiesta, but having never played FFV at all (and being dragged into too many other games right now, besides), this LP will certainly do the job!

(And one from MeccaPrime, as well; it's been a while!)

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

As a MeccaPrime Industries Gold+ Premium Lifetime Club member, I'm glad to see they've opened their doors again (so i can justify the second mortgage on my house to pay for said membership).

The Four Job Fiesta is super fun. I'm already on my third run of the year, but it's always interesting to see the various strategies that emerge from peoples' job assignments. Definitely following this.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Awww yes. this is going to be good. godspeed mecca, and may the berserker luck be with you!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Honestly I'd say that knight is better than monk, the first job I got saddled with in my first 4jf this year. Monk isn't bad at all starting out, but they just don't have anything to add later in the job. At least knight has some abilities to play around with. All monk really has is !Focus (although the HP boosts aren't worthless) Also shields, which are a bigger deal than you'd think (one of the few perks that make berserkers work it)

Also the pedant in me forces me to point out that job classes were introduced in FF3, and ATB in FF4, although both of those work very differently in those games.

...or was that the joke?

Oh god that was the joke wasn't it?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Aishlinn posted:

Awww yes. this is going to be good. godspeed mecca, and may the berserker luck be with you!

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to add #berserkerrisk to your run after the fiesta starts. I registered just last week so I missed that deadline. Now I know for next year because I'm all about that!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The game script on GameFAQs says that there are 1191 total ellipsis in FF5A. A nickel for every ellipsis would be $59.55.

Vampire isn't a low damaging attack. It deals (MaxHP - CurrentHP) damage, and heals all of it (in GBA; it heals half of what's absorbed in SNES and Android). Since Vampire Bats only have about 20 HP, they're probably either at full HP (and can't damage with it) or dead.

Galuf isn't two handing the Broadsword. He just CAN two hand the broadsword, should he learn how.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 4, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Return of the Mec

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

please don't post my home movies, toddy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aww yeah a MeccaPrime LP. And FFVFJF at that? good stuff

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Holy crap! MeccaPrime! Nice to see you again.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Yessssss a meccaprime thread

Good to see you again dudeman

Or is it...

Goon to see you

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

It took me a few tries to parse this, not gonna lie.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

toddy. posted:

It took me a few tries to parse this, not gonna lie.

Too much anime

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Too much anime

No such thing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo yes MeccaPrime Industries return. I have seen these fiestas popping up and I cant wait to follow along in yours.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

I bet you were waiting two years to make this joke.

Knight is the first job I got as well, the difference is that I have no idea what I'm doing, also welcome back!

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

dizaero posted:

Knight is the first job I got as well, the difference is that I have no idea what I'm doing, also welcome back!

Knight is not a bad job to have; the lack of magic is made up in sheer hp and damage. The lack of magic does make a few of the earlier bosses (one in particular that we will see in the next video) more difficult than normal but not unwinnable by any means.

Slight delay from the holiday weekend but the tubes are currently rotating and poisonous totally harmless, we swear, fumes are rising from the smokestacks at the MPI factories which means that we have two updates on the assembly line as I type this so expect something soon!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay a new MeccaPrime LP, can't wait to watch this.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

:siren:Update Time!!!:siren:

In this episode, Bort and Co. learn how to resist temptation.

Pictured: Bort considers the offer of a triple lap dance

Part Two: Songs of the Sirens

Enjoy!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
SHAMEFUL BOOTY

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I missed your videos Mecca, glad to have you back.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

mkob posted:

I missed your videos Mecca, glad to have you back.

I'm glad to have you back. Yes, you and only you.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

MeccaPrime posted:

I'm glad to have you back. Yes, you and only you.

That guy is really good at God Hand, I'm sure you knew.

Anyway, glad to see Fiesta get more exposure (it's my first year with it), so keep it up! I drew Mystic Knight, Berserker, Bard, Berserker. It's a weird first experience with FF5!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm enjoying the videos, even if they're horrible abominations against all good sense and LP tradition.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I'm enjoying the videos, even if they're horrible abominations against all good sense and LP tradition.

I like to think of myself as a reckless fool rather than a brilliant trendsetter.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

MeccaPrime posted:

I like to think of myself as a reckless fool rather than a brilliant trendsetter.

A loose cannon on the edge, but one that's only allowed to use swords because he rolled Knight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Shoulda thrown the Potions at Siren instead!

I am running my second Fiesta - after Thief (4 Thiefs are indeed bullshit), Berserker (of course), Ninja and Samurai, a total physical attack snoozefest (okay not only but a lot), I now have a 750 run of Black Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Dancer. So the Boogie and otherwise lots of castingggg.

Hope you get something interesting as second job, as Knight is mostly a Fight only machine until you can do broken Guard/Cover stuff!

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I actually tried throwing a potion at it in an off screen practice and I don't remember it having any effect (or maybe it was a Phoenix Down I threw...). Besides I want to save as many of those as possible because, unless I get Red Mage as my water job, I'm not going to have any healing magic at all.

Water job spoiler I don't get Red Mage .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MeccaPrime posted:

I actually tried throwing a potion at it in an off screen practice and I don't remember it having any effect (or maybe it was a Phoenix Down I threw...). Besides I want to save as many of those as possible because, unless I get Red Mage as my water job, I'm not going to have any healing magic at all.

Water job spoiler I don't get Red Mage .
Eh, I've had two Fiestas with no healing now, you'll be fine Potion-wise, they cost nothing. And I didn't know the pirate gave you 8 of them! You, otoh, forgot to get the five in the Wind Shrine ;). The biggest problem is not having Hi-Potions at the end of the first third of the game, because the 50 HP stop cutting it there (they kinda stop...already).

Also, if they do work on Siren, you'd have probably saved as many as you needed, what with the fight going so much faster.

Anyway, congrats on the spoiler, that would have been really dull to watch, I think! And terrible in the lategame.

• Locked thread