Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RoeCocoa posted:

Laura looks so put-upon, so done with it all, as though she remembers plant monsters, melting children, and being nagged to bits by the disembodied voices of her parents-- even though those things technically happened to different people in unrelated stories. Her little screen-punching tantrum after Parker's death feels less like "oh no, my friend was just horribly slaughtered," and more like, "why does this always happen to me?"
They didn't happen to different people, Laura has been playing all those roles.

She really wanted to make it big in Hollywood but the best she could ever do was work for some weirdo Japanese guy. It's why she looks and sounds so dead inside. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Am I imagining things or did the techno combined with rapidly changing font text feel almost exactly like something from the "Enemy Zero Escape" games.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

a spooky ghost posted:

My favorite thing about Eno's "digital actor" concept is that part of it apparently involves the actor always having the same first name for no reason. It just seems like a rule he decided on and never questioned because everyone was scared of him.

Well it's not like people would be able to recognize the actors by sight if they didn't have the same names. I mean the rapidly changing technology at the time made it so the only thing this Laura and the Laura of D2 have in common is that they're both blonde white ladies.

I'm guessing the names stay the same because when the costumes and the faces are changing from game to game it's the only thing that makes it known that these are the same actors.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Taking another look at the save screen: you think Laura did her nails just in case before she went into cryo, or do you think she put a fresh coat on before setting out to investigate Parker's murder?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Antlerhill posted:

Well it's not like people would be able to recognize the actors by sight if they didn't have the same names. I mean the rapidly changing technology at the time made it so the only thing this Laura and the Laura of D2 have in common is that they're both blonde white ladies.

I'm guessing the names stay the same because when the costumes and the faces are changing from game to game it's the only thing that makes it known that these are the same actors.

This makes sense.

Still, it doesn't entirely comport that SWERY has (currently) three different Forrest Kaysen-s in his games*. They are certainly all physically recognizable, but also seem to actually have distinct and developed personalities: something Laura doesn't seem like she got around to developing.

* Though I guess D4 S02+ could always tie things together in a way I am not expecting!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Blenheim posted:

Taking another look at the save screen: you think Laura did her nails just in case before she went into cryo, or do you think she put a fresh coat on before setting out to investigate Parker's murder?

It's the future. She has nail polish glands in her cuticles.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm so confused. This all seems really, really familiar. I know I've seen this before. I know SGF has LP'd this game before. How else would I know about it? I know the twist at the end. How do I know these things? When I search I can't figure out why. You've LP'd this before, right SGF? I'm not going mad am I?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jade Star posted:

I'm so confused. This all seems really, really familiar. I know I've seen this before. I know SGF has LP'd this game before. How else would I know about it? I know the twist at the end. How do I know these things? When I search I can't figure out why. You've LP'd this before, right SGF? I'm not going mad am I?

You watched Niggurath's LP of it?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Golden Goat posted:

You watched Niggurath's LP of it?

...Mystery solved? I'd swear it was SGF, but in the lack of evidence and a much more rational explanation than I'm going mad, I will assume that this is the case and my memory is just blurry poo poo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The save system of this game looks really interesting, I don't think I've seen any other type of game have this style of resource-based saving. Its vaguely similar to the ink ribbons from Resident Evil except you're given them all at once and not in small groups as you explore. When Niggurath did his LP or E0 I think he was on Normal difficulty and it gives you 64 charges plus the condition that you lose one when loading a file. I'd actually be really interested in applying this save system to another game and seeing if it changes the feel of it.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Panic Restaurant - Youtube | Download

As a little bonus thing during this LP, let's take a short look at some of the other games Kenji Eno worked on throughout his career. Some of them are actually pretty normal, like this one, Panic Restaurant for the NES. It serves as a contrast to what would come later.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

supergreatfriend posted:

Interlude: Panic Restaurant - Youtube | Download

As a little bonus thing during this LP, let's take a short look at some of the other games Kenji Eno worked on throughout his career. Some of them are actually pretty normal, like this one, Panic Restaurant for the NES. It serves as a contrast to what would come later.

PANIC RESTAURANT WILL BECOME A MORE MOVIE-ORIENTED TITLE, WITH CHEF AS AN ACTOR. THE MAIN STAGE OF THE WORK WILL BE THE RESTAURANT ITSELF. BUT PANIC RESTAURANT WILL HAVE AN ASPECT OF PANIC AS A GAME AS WELL, WITH A LESS WEIGHT. ONE OF THE CONCEPTUAL SUBJECTS OF THE WORK WILL BE "ANALOG SADNESS" MULTIMEDIA, AS ANALOG MEDIA, HAS HAUNTED FOOD FACTORS AND RISKS. THROUGH SHOWING PANIC RESTAURANT, I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THERE ARE SUCH CROCKERY RISKS IN THE ANALOG WORLD OF THE PAST TIMES.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well that looks like a thoroughly okay platformer.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Panic Restaurant seems like a nice game. Shame no one in the United States played it due to the completely horrifying, but admittedly thoroughly representative, cover art that the US release got!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Now I've got this suspicion that Kenji Eno never left the insanity of 8-bit platformers behind when he moved on to better formats...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It certainly puts the dinner scene in D into a different context.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

a spooky ghost posted:

Panic Restaurant seems like a nice game. Shame no one in the United States played it due to the completely horrifying, but admittedly thoroughly representative, cover art that the US release got!

So pretty

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

SelenicMartian posted:

It certainly puts the dinner scene in D into a different context.

The true horror of D.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Ohdove did nothing wrong.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet that Mercus is the killer/monster/whatever. His bio says he's from Germany, but they can't even get the flag right? He's been planted by some evil corporation, who only coughed up enough cash for a sloppy back-alley hacker!

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Well, Mercus did go to be a plant-monster miner in D2, so he has an established history of villainy.

With all the weird bosses, Panic Restaurant looks like Monster Party for food.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Ohdove did nothing wrong.

I wonder if Ohdove is in any way connected with Ohnoman...?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I wonder if Ohdove is in any way connected with Ohnoman...?

Oh that Nohman

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Despite the awful Frengrish spelling, at least "Ohdove" kinda sorta sounds like "hors d'oeuvre" when you say it out loud, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This could be really interesting or really, really horrible. Hmm.

I'm a sucker for intriguing introductions and "waking up on a space ship with an invisible alien killer" isn't a bad one, but there's so many ways for this to wind up horrible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Speedball posted:

I'm a sucker for intriguing introductions and "waking up on a space ship with an invisible alien killer" isn't a bad one, but there's so many ways for this to wind up horrible.
From having played it, it does have some questionable parts near the end.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 8, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't actually remember much about D2. All I remember is SHADOW THE FINAL DESTROYER, terrible poetry, a drug named Linda, plant monsters, something about winged people and a wooly mammoth, and hating Kimberly.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't actually remember much about D2. All I remember is SHADOW THE FINAL DESTROYER, terrible poetry, a drug named Linda, plant monsters, something about winged people and a wooly mammoth, and hating Kimberly.

That's pretty much it really, aside from the melting children and eldritch horrors killing dinosaurs. D2 was mostly just walking around my back yard in the dead of winter punctuated by random shooting segments.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

Despite the awful Frengrish spelling, at least "Ohdove" kinda sorta sounds like "hors d'oeuvre" when you say it out loud, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Did you translate this game

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My favorite bad localization is the bit in Illusion of Gaia where the cast refers to something that is supposed to be the biblical Leviathan as "Riverson"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Did you translate this game
No, but poo poo like this means I make drat sure it doesn't happen in any of the games I do translate.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

My favorite bad localization is the bit in Illusion of Gaia where the cast refers to something that is supposed to be the biblical Leviathan as "Riverson"

Holy poo poo, is that what that was supposed to be? I always thought it was a weird name for an ocean monster.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Re: Memorable parts of D2: Have we forgotten the masterful symbolism of Xilo, or are we just repressing the memories?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The real puzzler is it literally says "Hors d'Oeuvre" on the menu/level screen in the Japanese version so they knew exactly what they were doing.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 9, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hating Kimberly.

You managed to block out that horrible horrible child whose name I can't remember. Kimberly is terrible too, but that kid, ugh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I love this game so much

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I'm going to have to re-(re-)watch D and D2 now aren't I? :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Speedball posted:

Well, nobody is turned into a big-titted lady so it might not be up your alley bro

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

StarkRavingMad posted:

You managed to block out that horrible horrible child whose name I can't remember. Kimberly is terrible too, but that kid, ugh.

The kid was annoying, but I didn't expect her to actually goddamn MELT I mean what

I kept thinking it'd be a fakeout or a vision but nope, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yep, absolutely no memory of that. This is a good thing, apparently.

• Locked thread