Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Real Sound: Kaze no Regret - Youtube | Download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I remember this game being discussed in one of your previous threads. Back then, it seemed like a genius idea to me, and that really hasn't changed much. It's a bummer that there is no translation out there. I'd genuinely love to know what this game is all about.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
This kind of audio novel game seems like a decent fit for mobile devices. Apparently there's a few people making that kind of thing, but none seem very big.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

PublicOpinion posted:

This kind of audio novel game seems like a decent fit for mobile devices. Apparently there's a few people making that kind of thing, but none seem very big.

It definitely does. As usual, Eno was ahead of his time.

This may be something interesting to people who want more info or insight: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Regret/Stigmata/Mizu

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 5, 2015

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I'm glad there wasn't a surprise downer or twist to Sega having donated consoles and the game to blind people :3:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are there really so many blind people?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Wikipedia entry is a little off. Izumi is an orphan who lives with her grandfather; he died the very morning the game begins, making Izumi late to (elementary) school. Izumi, who'd only just transferred to her current school, tells Hiroshi that with her guardian gone, she'll have to transfer schools again as she moves to Tokyo to live with her uncle's family. She leaves as soon as summer vacation starts--which is tomorrow. Realizing this is the last day they'll have together, HIroshi suggests the two of them run off together later that day. Izumi asks if that means they're eloping (defined as "when a man and woman go somewhere together") and Hiroshi says yeah, they are. "And our elopement'll never end. Even if summer vacation ends, it'll always be summer vacation for you and me."

The entire script is here if you know Japanese or feel like throwing it into Google Translate. I don't have the time to do it myself. :(

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm not sure what "so many" means in this instance, but have some statistics.

In the US in 2012, there were an estimated 6,670,300 blind adults, and 659,700 blind children. That comes out to about 2.5% of the population, which is at least moderately significant.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PublicOpinion posted:

There's a couple of games called Papa Sangre and Papa Sangre II on mobile that are all audio. And they aren't just audio novels, but actually use directional audio to have you play the game by controlling towards or away from certain things, running from enemies, etc. Its a neat concept.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There was a kickstarter for an audio game. It was an RPG for the blind. Can't remember the name of it though or if it got funded.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

This article from 2000 is informative (and heartbreaking): http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2000/01/27/general/overcoming-blind-discrimination/

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

supergreatfriend posted:

Interlude: Real Sound: Kaze no Regret - Youtube | Download

This reminds me very much of Terror T.R.A.X. back in "The Day(tm)."

If no one remembers, it was a CYOA in Audio CD form published by, of all people, WotC in the mid 90's. You would listen to the story and it would say something like "If you want to chase the Vampire, go to Track 14. If you want to do the Funky Chicken, go to Track 41." Etc.

There were five of them. One for Vampires, Werewolves, a Mummy, the Creature, and finally an FMV game with the finest acting budgeting would allow.

Good times. Good times.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There was a kickstarter for an audio game. It was an RPG for the blind. Can't remember the name of it though or if it got funded.

Blindside

http://www.blindsidegame.com/

Interesting concept, weak execution. I've played, but I have trouble because the game, in my experience, does a poor job of communicating when you are on or off rails.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.6 - Conceptual Subjects - Youtube | Download

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
In the trivia at the end, please tell me I wasn't the only one who was wondering what the huge green space dildo was doing there.

Is that the gun? Jesus christ.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
That's not the gun, you can see the gun here: http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67&start=10 .

I'm going to assume that's the Enemy model (with bodily fluids). It doesn't really look like the Enemies that have been in the game during the brief moments they're visible, but I'm going to say that's what it is. I'm going to assume that the game didn't come with a big green dildo.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I believe it was Niggurath in his LP who mentioned that the spaceship is probably designed to look like a human heart. I would say that the "E0" logo is kinda-sorta-if you really squint modeled to resemble a human heart shape as well (ovoid shape with rectangles/tubes sticking out of one corner).

Didn't pick up before that Eno followed D with E (0). Wonder if D2 was originally planned to be titled F-something.

supergreatfriend posted:

I'm going to assume that the game didn't come with a big green dildo.

Why?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

supergreatfriend posted:

That's not the gun, you can see the gun here: http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67&start=10 .

I'm going to assume that's the Enemy model (with bodily fluids). It doesn't really look like the Enemies that have been in the game during the brief moments they're visible, but I'm going to say that's what it is. I'm going to assume that the game didn't come with a big green dildo.
If any game was completely randomly going to come packaged with a dildo, it would be a Kenji Eno game.

I didn't think the aliens looked so dicklike in the game but I guess they were all about Alien and thus Giger, and, well..

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
The heart idea does make sense, that would explain the towers sticking out the top.

Well, I guess I shouldn't assume that. There's more pictures of the limited edition here: http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67 , including another angle of the maybe-dildo.

Not conclusive.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Well I think there is another enemy coming up in the final tower and I guess if you squint super hard it might be that?

Blenheim posted:

I believe it was Niggurath in his LP who mentioned that the spaceship is probably designed to look like a human heart. I would say that the "E0" logo is kinda-sorta-if you really squint modeled to resemble a human heart shape as well (ovoid shape with rectangles/tubes sticking out of one corner).
And I'm trying to remember if I did mention that or someone else did, but it seems that there's probably supposed to be more symbolism in the shape and naming conventions for the ship (like I think 'Aki' can mean hope, and maybe the parts of the ship being named after seasons is supposed to show some cycle of life along with the ship being in the same of a heart, which could also be in reference to Aki being soul?). I don't recall though if this ever has any real implications into the story? Maybe since Laura's entire life is supposedly centered around the ship (especially since the game seems to imply that once they return to Earth, she'll probably just be shut down).

If anything I just enjoy that Laura never noticed the massive alien sausage in her neck:

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I think this is as good a time as any to repost my favorite fanart from the D & D2 LP. I'd say it still holds equally true for Enemy Zero Laura.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
...So I guess Kenji watched Blade Runner a few times.

Also spheroid shapes are apparently one of the most ideal spacecraft designs because they have more volume per surface area. It's just that a big non-descript sphere doesn't look as cool as the Millennium Falcon so Sci-fi writers prefer to get more creative.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I love that bio-weapons come up so often in games, because I don't think anyone anywhere has ever had such a scheme.

Like, did the Dutch colonists that discovered Komodo Dragons decide to attempt to train them and use them in warfare? Because apparently that's all space corporations think about.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I like to believe the reveal that Laura is an android was foreshadowed by her complete lack of nipples in the opening scene.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, hold on. The fact that she forgot she was an android is a PROBLEM? Wouldn't knowing she's an android cancel out all these childhood memories he gave her? They wouldn't mean anything if she knew they were fake, right?

While we're at it, how do you implant a robot with a neckburster? Did the monster just rip through metal to jam that in there?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 8, 2015

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

While we're at it, how do you implant a robot with a neckburster? Did the monster just rip through metal to jam that in there?

I'm assuming the metal parts are just her skeleton. She seems to still have some biological parts such as "Lungs" and "Skin." Also, I'm sure on its home planet, the Enemy has to deal with other robot surrogate mothers.

Can... Can I hug Kenji Eno if he came to my home? :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't think Kenji Eno really gave this game's plot much thought and just wanted to cram Blade Runner and Alien together because he thought they were cool.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Grimwit posted:

Can... Can I hug Kenji Eno if he came to my home? :allears:

Sadly he passed away two years ago. Him hand delivering the special editions is actually kind of a neat. Especially before the rise of kickstarter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From what I can tell Kenji Eno was kind of like Ed Wood, he couldn't make a good video game to save his life but he had poo poo tons of spirit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You know Laura, I understand times are hard without the captain around to give you sage advice, but maybe you should consider removing the hideous alien fetus from your throat and shoulder BEFORE you go home to earth?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I keep on hearing a skittering noise. That's not the alien embryo in our neck, is it?

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
If Laura knows she is an android, why does she not just rip that alien embryo out of her neck and stomp it?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I've only just finished watching part 5, but I wanted to note how despite the dated 3D graphics, Laura's crying over David looked more human than what I've seen in most games.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

drowZebra posted:

If Laura knows she is an android, why does she not just rip that alien embryo out of her neck and stomp it?
Well she apparently can still feel pain, and just because she knows she's an android that doesn't mean she knows how durable she is. For all she (and we for that matter) knows there might be some vital tubes or wires around there that her positronic brain depends on.

Anyway, Laura being something that was only activated relatively recently might explain how awkward she is with things. Even if she has some memories implanted in her head, she's still doing them for the first time. Of course that seems like a bit of a design flaw to me, as even if they were androids I don't think I'd want to send newborns to catch an invisible alien.

As for whether or not it would be a good idea to wipe the android memory out, I'd say not. Even if she survives this thing and the company doesn't just treat her like property the android thing would come up later in her life sooner or later, and it wouldn't necessarily be any easier to deal with then. Granted, being the sole survivor on a ship full of invisible aliens is a horrible time to have an existential crisis and distractions like "Who am I?" might make for some bad decision making, but having somebody root around inside of your mind during an alien attack isn't exactly better in that regard. Especially if an alien could sneak up on them and strike during the process.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Do androids dream of tree-hugging?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Come on. There's no way George didn't program Laura and David to go at it. He almost certainly had a video feed from David's eye streaming directly to his hard drive.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Come on. There's no way George didn't program Laura and David to go at it. He almost certainly had a video feed from David's eye streaming directly to his hard drive.

I've walked in on my wife's laptop and my computer "interfacing" with each other.

It happens, people.

How do you think iPhones are born?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Edvarius posted:

Well she apparently can still feel pain, and just because she knows she's an android that doesn't mean she knows how durable she is. For all she (and we for that matter) knows there might be some vital tubes or wires around there that her positronic brain depends on.

She also can hallucinate under the effects of alien embryo!

...She really is an android, right? She's not just a cyborg?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
For being specifically designed to catch these alien monsters, Laura and David seem singularly bad at being able to catch these monsters. They're not super strong or durable, they don't have infra-red vision or anything to see them... they seem like they're just really expensive humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

...She really is an android, right? She's not just a cyborg?

Hey, the Blade Runner replicants were technically cyborgs so it's likely Laura is as well.

• Locked thread