Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think there was a piano player whose mother grew chicken legs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

StarkRavingMad posted:

You managed to block out that horrible horrible child whose name I can't remember. Kimberly is terrible too, but that kid, ugh.

I think D2 somehow managed to be the most boring batshit insane game ever made.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I really miss Kenji Eno, I wonder what he could make with today's tools.
He seemed to want to make more cinematic games, like Kojima, but was more often than not constrained by what tech he decided to use at the time.
.. and well the fact that some of his writing was just odd and led to odd design choices.

Godnnelg fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The part of D2 I remember best was the flight attendant still reciting her routine as normal (as best she could) while attacking you as a deformed plant monster because that was actually legit creepy and well done.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Ohdove account spotted

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think there was a piano player whose mother grew chicken legs, though.

Those were giant monster hands that represented her dead piano-playing son, and they kept re-erupting from her womb as she took damage.

ETA: Also, we forgot the guy who was married to a computer who used to be a plant or was going to become a plant or something.

(Also also, re: "Ohdove": it's possible that in the NES era, the U.S. company thought that kids would be confused by the weird spelling of "hors d'oeuvre" and just substituted a simpler "close enough, whatever" approximation. Not that "Ohdove" is the most natural-sounding name, mind you.)

Hirayuki posted:

No, but poo poo like this means I make drat sure it doesn't happen in any of the games I do translate.

Man, I know you said in the Run Button thread that you weren't in the driver's seat for the mistakes in the Silent Hill 3 Hard mode puzzles, but I wish someone had worked harder to wrest the controls and right that particular plane.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 9, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The only boss I remember from D2 was the magical grandpa who gets taken out by a giant pigeon.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kojiro posted:

The kid was annoying, but I didn't expect her to actually goddamn MELT I mean what

I kept thinking it'd be a fakeout or a vision but nope, no.

I'm a horrible person because I couldn't stop laughing during that scene. She just kept talking despite being a pool of goo on the ground

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Iiiiiii should probably rope a friend into marathoning the D and D2 LPs with me, because I should probably have this fresh in my mind.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
You can't forget Laura's mom being a computer with lady parts that kept trying to make half-angel half-human hybrids. Or was she being forced to? I don't remember.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Lareine posted:

You can't forget Laura's mom being a computer with lady parts that kept trying to make half-angel half-human hybrids. Or was she being forced to? I don't remember.

No, it was completely voluntary. The person in question was the project lead and talks a lot about making that decision personally (I just rewatched the D and D2 LP over this last week, because I work security for a university and there's gently caress-all to do during summer).

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.2 - Contingency Risks - Youtube | Download

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Okay I'm just going to lay this on the line here: You should be using caution more. You should be moving with caution and have caution.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is why bad sound design can totally ruin a game. That radar ping is so high-pitched and annoying.

Compare/contrast Alien: Isolation where you often don't see the alien anyway.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am the pictures of busy ladies on the wall in Parker's room.

Parker, your room is gross.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is the FPS camera pinned to Laura's chest or something? Feels like she loses a few inches based on the height of the doors.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
That elevator seems extremely unsafe. It's tiny, has no walls, and it moves pretty quickly. It's less an elevator and more a way to get your fingers sheared off.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ah, blessed network error 27, keeping us from having to talk to Kimberly.

Maybe Laura can make a nice necklace with the souvenir she took from Mercus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm rewatching D2 and as a result, when I saw Kimberly's name and the objective 'talk to Kimberly', I could not help but feel a sense of genuine dread.

I do not think there has ever been a more annoying character than D2 Kimberly.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You could always count on Mercus to lend a hand. Shame he wasn't more headstrong.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 11, 2015

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Did Mercus have nail polish glands in his cuticles, too? Or did he just have nail fungus?

(Completely unnecessary aside: Mercus's fingers and the space theme remind me of an odd puzzle published in GAMES Magazine (Will Shortz's former puzzle magazine) several years back entitled "A Severed Human Finger." In it, you were given an array of ten objects and tasked with picking the best one to give as a gift to a party of alien emissaries; among the candidates was, as the title indicates, a severed human finger. (I believe GAMES had a team of astronomers or NASA employees giving their opinions on the choices and deciding the "right" answer.) The severed finger was a bad choice not only because gifting severed body parts is just bad hostess manners, but because it might give the aliens the idea that humans could regenerate lost body parts, leading to all sorts of unfortunate wackiness. The right choice, it was deemed, was Van Gogh's "Starry Night," because it demonstrated that humanity had the capacity for artistic expression, which indicated high-level thought, as well as wonder; it also wouldn't give away much if any info about the status of our tech.

I told you this aside was unnecessary.)

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 11, 2015

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!
Out of curiosity, any reason you skipped this game when doing the D/D2 lp?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

pun pundit posted:

No, it was completely voluntary. The person in question was the project lead and talks a lot about making that decision personally (I just rewatched the D and D2 LP over this last week, because I work security for a university and there's gently caress-all to do during summer).

Oh right. I think the reason I got confused was because she was so insistent on you killing her after you guys met. I mean, there was a lot more she could have told us but she wanted us to kill her dead as fast as possible.

I kind of figured that the whole "invisible enemies" thing was going to be handled by tracking the sounds using stereo. Didn't realize it was going to be by different-toned dings based on direction.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Are you using the saturn or pc port of ths game?

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The spaceship in Space Mutiny had a huge basement too.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Regarding your ending trivia section, there might be a more mundane story than what Eno said (which made it sound like Eno kidnapped Nyman). Here's an excerpt from the book I mentioned in my initial post. It's from an interview with Katsutoshi Eguchi, who was a friend and colleague of Eno.

Were you with Mr Eno when he spoke with Michael Nyman in a hotel to arrange the Enemy Zero soundtrack?

Yes, I was there the whole time. In Kobe. I had spoken with Michael Nyman's coordinator. We told them that we were going to Kobe, and we met them there, explained the situation, and Nyman agreed. It wasn't actually in the hotel room, it was in the hotel bar. I was there the entire time. What Eno-san did for 6 hours was explain how he came up with Enemy Zero in the first place, and why it had to be Michael Nyman, over and over again.

What were they drinking?

It was a long time ago, but maybe Eno was probably drinking wine, and Nyman probably didn't drink anything.

Was Nyman surprised? Reluctant?

He wasn't reluctant, or uncomfortable or anything, he's just quite a quiet guy. So it was a case of warming him up to the concept. After talking a little we had dinner at the restaurant. We had Kobe beef. Then we moved to the bar, and spent the rest of the time there. [Prior to the meeting in Kobe], Nyman-san had expressed a deep interest in game music itself, and said that it was an exciting time for videogames. So we brought up Enemy Zero, and Nyman showed some interest. We sent him a cop of "D no Shokutaku" while he was still in England and he played it and thought it was good.

The 1UP Interview mentions the hotel room.

Hmm... I feel like it wasn't. It was in the bar. I don't think Eno-san ever went into a hotel room. So that could be wrong.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

corn in the bible posted:

Are you using the saturn or pc port of ths game?
I'm pretty sure he said (and showed) that he was using the PC version of the game.

ares5566 posted:

I thought he was waiting to get a copy of the game before he LP"ed it. It just took a while I guess.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

supergreatfriend posted:

p.2 - Contingency Risks - Youtube | Download

I love that Laura, in all her incarnations, continues to be mystified by card readers.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Smoking Cigarettes in space, a good idea. :v:

(Hope Cigarettes, hope you don't die.)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
That's why they're called Hope Zero.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Brutakas posted:

I love that Laura, in all her incarnations, continues to be mystified by card readers.

One day she WILL learn that fingers are not keys. One day... :sigh:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
With how thin her alien fingers are, I'm sure there has to have been times that it did.

Suspicious Cook posted:

That's why they're called Hope Zero.

It sort of looks like that small pixel blob next to the 0 is a % symbol maybe? So there's absolutely no hope of something with these cigarettes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

(Hope Cigarettes, hope you don't die.)

Funnily enough, that's a real brand of Japanese cigarettes. That and "Peace". :iiam:, as befits this game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ah, so when animes go "love and peace" they're are advertising ciggies and... What is "love"?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SelenicMartian posted:

Ah, so when animes go "love and peace" they're are advertising ciggies and... What is "love"?

Baby, don't hurt me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Am I the only one that can't help but see the Starship Enterprise whenever the "E0" logo comes up?

Also, why did Parker look scared shitless and start shooting when the monster came into his room, if the monster is invisible? Then again, I guess they do make a lot of noise for being the perfect invisible predators.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, why did Parker look scared shitless and start shooting when the monster came into his room, if the monster is invisible? Then again, I guess they do make a lot of noise for being the perfect invisible predators.

The door busted open, so that's an obvious tell on where it is. :v:

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

ares5566 posted:

I had played both D and D2 when those games had first come out, but Enemy Zero had passed me by, since I didn't have a Saturn during that time (and didn't know about the PC version for a long time). I only first played the game around two years ago.

RealSovietBear posted:

Regarding your ending trivia section, there might be a more mundane story than what Eno said (which made it sound like Eno kidnapped Nyman).

The truth tends to be more mundane when you find out all of the facts, but at least the part about Eno relentlessly repeating for six hours that Nyman had to do the music is still there.

Schwartzcough posted:

As Hitler's Gay Secret mentioned, the monster busted the door open. Also, there's the possibility that Parker knew about the invisible monsters, as *someone* must've painted that big E0 logo on that door containing them. We don't know why the monsters are on the Aki, or how much the others know about it. Laura's said that her memories are erratic, and Ronny said the same. But maybe someone knows.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Sunman - Youtube | Download

More of Kenji Eno's NES work, though this one was never released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Grate! Sunman!! A game I've heard of before!
It's a shame this game never saw a release, probably one of the better 'superhero games' of its time (ignoring the lack of polish).

Also, I may have missed something, but... who was shouting for help? The helicopter? Because if so, then I don't think Sunman really understands the meaning of 'help'.

• Locked thread