Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

ENEMY ZERO WILL BECOME A MORE MOVIE-ORIENTED TITLE, WITH LAURA AS AN ACTRESS. THE MAIN STAGE OF THE WORK WILL BE THE SPACE ITSELF. BUT ENEMY ZERO WILL HAVE AN ASPECT OF AMUSEMENT AS A GAME AS WELL, WITH A LESS WEIGHT. ONE OF THE CONCEPTUAL SUBJECTS OF THE WORK WILL BE "DIGITAL SADNESS" MULTIMEDIA, AS DIGITAL MEDIA, HAS EPHEMERAL FACTORS AND RISKS. THROUGH SHOWING ENEMY ZERO, I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THERE ARE SUCH CONTINGENCY RISKS IN THE DIGITAL WORLD OF THE MODERN TIMES.

- Kenji Eno

I'm not sure if I could give a better description of the game than the director himself. Though, not mentioned in Eno's description of Enemy Zero, is that it would be the follow up to the 1995 FMV horror adventure "D", which was the biggest hit of his career at that point. Enemy Zero was a horror game that combined the FMV segments of D with real-time polygonal areas that allowed Eno and his team at WARP to try their hand at that first-person-shooting that was becoming popular in the mid-nineties.

But you know, if you're trying to do something a bit different with your first-person-shooter, and if you also want to try to make the game scary, what do you do to shake things up? You could try making the enemies completely invisible, only detectable by sound. Enemy Zero has you rely greatly on the game's audio, as that's your only way of figuring out if there are enemies about, and where they are.

However, this being a Kenji Eno game, the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio is weighted heavily towards cutscenes. There will be many cinematics, there will be CG characters emoting heavily, and there will be a main character who doesn't say anything while nobody else thinks that's strange.

Say hi to Laura! The digital actress is back in her second appearance (out of three). She actually *does* have lines in this game, though she still doesn't talk in cutscenes. You'll see.

Also, if you remember D2, you may remember that it seemed heavily inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing. Well, what The Thing is to D2, Alien/Aliens are to Enemy Zero. You may notice some similarities.

Now, let's get in our cryo-beds, and wake up in the far off future as it was imagined in the mid-nineties!

VIDEOS

p.1 - Digital Sadness - Youtube | Download
Interlude: Panic Restaurant - Youtube | Download
p.2 - Contingency Risks - Youtube | Download
Interlude: Sunman - Youtube | Download
p.3 - An Aspect of Amusement - Youtube | Download
Interlude: Oyaji Hunter Mahjong - Youtube | Download
p.4 - Ephemeral Factors - Youtube | Download
Interlude: Short Warp - Youtube | Download
p.5 - A More Movie-Oriented Title - Youtube | Download
Interlude: Real Sound: Kaze no Regret - Youtube | Download
p.6 - Conceptual Subjects - Youtube | Download
Interlude: You, Me, and the Cubes - Youtube | Download
p.7 - The Digital World of the Modern Times - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Grimwit decided to demonstrate the most important rule of child care for us:

supergreatfriend fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 28, 2015

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Edit: Was it this game or D2 that Kenji pressured some pianist into doing the music for?

This is that game. I mention it in the next video, but Eno kept asking Michael Nyman to do the score until Nyman agreed out of exhaustion.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Panic Restaurant - Youtube | Download

As a little bonus thing during this LP, let's take a short look at some of the other games Kenji Eno worked on throughout his career. Some of them are actually pretty normal, like this one, Panic Restaurant for the NES. It serves as a contrast to what would come later.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.2 - Contingency Risks - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

ares5566 posted:

Out of curiosity, any reason you skipped this game when doing the D/D2 lp?

I had played both D and D2 when those games had first come out, but Enemy Zero had passed me by, since I didn't have a Saturn during that time (and didn't know about the PC version for a long time). I only first played the game around two years ago.

RealSovietBear posted:

Regarding your ending trivia section, there might be a more mundane story than what Eno said (which made it sound like Eno kidnapped Nyman).

The truth tends to be more mundane when you find out all of the facts, but at least the part about Eno relentlessly repeating for six hours that Nyman had to do the music is still there.

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, why did Parker look scared shitless and start shooting when the monster came into his room, if the monster is invisible? Then again, I guess they do make a lot of noise for being the perfect invisible predators.

As Hitler's Gay Secret mentioned, the monster busted the door open. Also, there's the possibility that Parker knew about the invisible monsters, as *someone* must've painted that big E0 logo on that door containing them. We don't know why the monsters are on the Aki, or how much the others know about it. Laura's said that her memories are erratic, and Ronny said the same. But maybe someone knows.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Sunman - Youtube | Download

More of Kenji Eno's NES work, though this one was never released.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

SelenicMartian posted:

Since you got to lesser known games of our beloved Japanese weirdos, will you do Extermination?

I've never played Extermination, but I do want to try that out at some point. If only for the Sweryness.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.3 - An Aspect of Amusement - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do the aliens distort the steam if they walk through it? That's the only reason I could see for the steam being there.

Oh wait, I never even thought of that. I don't know if the steam graphic changes if the enemies go through them, that would be pretty cool if it happened.

Lareine posted:

What was the song that you used during the fast forward bit and was it the same song you used for the fast forward bit in D2?

Yup, it's the same track that I used in D2. It's actually from the Enemy Zero soundtrack, even though we never actually hear it in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlpfd-dGNJQ

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Oyaji Hunter Mahjong - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How many times did you get panties thrown at you during the 10 hour game of Mahjong?

Plenty, though the first opponent is the only one who throws panties. Everyone have their own appropriately themed attacks. The second one likes whips and candle wax, for instance.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.4 - Ephemeral Factors - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Grimwit posted:

This practically drew itself. I just held the pen.

Yessssssss.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Short Warp - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.5 - A More Movie-Oriented Title - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Real Sound: Kaze no Regret - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.6 - Conceptual Subjects - Youtube | Download

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
That's not the gun, you can see the gun here: http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67&start=10 .

I'm going to assume that's the Enemy model (with bodily fluids). It doesn't really look like the Enemies that have been in the game during the brief moments they're visible, but I'm going to say that's what it is. I'm going to assume that the game didn't come with a big green dildo.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
The heart idea does make sense, that would explain the towers sticking out the top.

Well, I guess I shouldn't assume that. There's more pictures of the limited edition here: http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67 , including another angle of the maybe-dildo.

Not conclusive.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: You, Me, and the Cubes - Youtube | Download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.7 - The Digital World of the Modern Times - Youtube | Download

The end! It took longer to finish the last video than I thought it would, but Laura's big space adventure is over.

• Locked thread