Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RealSovietBear posted:

Kenji Eno's games are something very special. I have a German copy of D for the PS1 that I still haven't completed. I think his stuff aged poorly but it's still entertaining and quirky.

The book "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" has a few interviews with people who worked with him (he sadly passed away before the author began work on the book). One of his early game/application ideas was an email client with an avatar a la Bonzi Buddy, which would be sad/happy depending on your email's contents. Eno said he wanted to make it so that people would try their best to have a happy avatar and be nicer to everyone in their emails (and make the world a happier place). The guy was a Suda51/SWERY before them.

Also, some recommended reading on WARP for those interested (contains spoilers for ENEMY ZERO).

I've never actually looked up footage of Enemy Zero, so I'm really looking forward to this LP.
I have a feeling its probably been brought up before in the SWERY game LPs but its clear SWERY took a lot of inspiration from Eno, seeing is that Kaysen is exactly like Laura in the sense that they're "digital actors" playing entirely different roles in different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Laura Bailey, and Troy Baker battle against the nefarious Steve Blum as Keith David acts as their wise mentor.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RoeCocoa posted:

Laura looks so put-upon, so done with it all, as though she remembers plant monsters, melting children, and being nagged to bits by the disembodied voices of her parents-- even though those things technically happened to different people in unrelated stories. Her little screen-punching tantrum after Parker's death feels less like "oh no, my friend was just horribly slaughtered," and more like, "why does this always happen to me?"
They didn't happen to different people, Laura has been playing all those roles.

She really wanted to make it big in Hollywood but the best she could ever do was work for some weirdo Japanese guy. It's why she looks and sounds so dead inside. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The first games SWERY worked on were the two Last Blade games, one of SNK's fighting game series. Last Blade was cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

coleman francis posted:

Keep cuddling that canary.
Canaries aren't even blue.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't think Kenji Eno really gave this game's plot much thought and just wanted to cram Blade Runner and Alien together because he thought they were cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From what I can tell Kenji Eno was kind of like Ed Wood, he couldn't make a good video game to save his life but he had poo poo tons of spirit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kojiro posted:

What exactly is the benefit of hiding the fact that they're androids? How could that possibly help the mission?
Because Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fwoderwick posted:

Somehow this is the thing that has surprised me the most in this entire LP. What on earth did they do with her personality?
Eno probably stalked her into becoming Laura's VA like he got Michael Nyman to do the soundtrack.

• Locked thread