Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Great Joe posted:

When you're finally getting the hang of the 4WD cars, do yourself a favour and get in the Lancia Stratos to ease into RWD. :getin:

Stratos was the first car I bought after the 60s Lancia, needless to say I quickly retreated back to the 60s one and have hardly touched the stratos since. I'm liking the group b 4wd cars too much too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
The Stratos is objectively the best car in the game, alongside the 037.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Really liked the kit cars from the league event, so light and fast. I busted out my left headlight on the last stage about a third of the way through which sort of sucked.

The Stratos was one of my favorites too, made me enough money to buy the Lancia Delta, which is amazing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The 60s Lancia is the absolute worst car in the game for me, but the Stratos is definitely the best. It feels like the Stratos is actively trying to murder me at every bump and corner which is the most fun way to drive.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Out of Band II posted:

Really liked the kit cars from the league event, so light and fast. I busted out my left headlight on the last stage about a third of the way through which sort of sucked.

The Stratos was one of my favorites too, made me enough money to buy the Lancia Delta, which is amazing.

Yeah the kit cars are fun, but I don't like taking them out on the stages without at least some tarmac. Front wheel drive can be annoying because of how slow the 'fast' line is through turns is, when you are used to the fast awd cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SealHammer posted:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

Think I hit a new speed record last night with the 037 doing the Group B RWD weekly: just broke the 140 MPH barrier on those long German stretches (according to the speedo, didn't verify in my profile). Unfortunately, on the fifth stage I totaled my car going down the steep hill in the woods (got a bit wide round the bend into the steep descent and smashed into a tree at 100 MPH... both front wheels fell off entirely) and had to reset my weekly and run the first four stages again. :smith: Managed to snag a place in the 20's (think I was 26th with ~5 hours left) though with slightly improved times each stage on the second round. Pushing the 037 to the limit is exhilarating, even on tarmac.

After Group B RWD and Kit Cars (offline career), getting in my Group A Lancia for the other Weekly (haven't got around to buying/upgrading the Lancia Delta) felt so tame and boring in comparison. I thought about using the 037 again, but it is a very brazen beast on Wales and I was a tad gun shy after the Germany runs.

Out of Band II posted:

Really liked the kit cars from the league event, so light and fast.
Other cars feel so heavy and unresponsive after mucking about with the Kit Cars for awhile. Was there ever any Group B FWD? I'd be so down for them introducing even more extreme FWD than the Kit Cars even if it's a-historical because they're really fun.

Then again, I felt majorly let down we didn't see a Suzuki Escudo with the Hillclimb stuff which was a monster that actually raced (and Group B cars with their '85, '86 HPs of 500+) so I won't count my blessings on getting gimmicky non-existent stuff that are totally ridiculous.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Man, I can't wait for the devs to fix the loving "no fullscreen if you're on mobile GFX cards" bug that has been present since day one. I bought this the moment it hit early access and have yet to play it due to that :(

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Really? You can't even alt+enter? What happens?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Buck Turgidson posted:

Really? You can't even alt+enter? What happens?

Does nothing. It's a known bug, lots of people have filed reports, but no fix as of yet.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So I decided to stop being a baby and try the Stratos instead of the opel and Uh it's way more fun and I'm better with it. Stop scaring people away from it, it is the best car.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
The kit cars are hot garbage, holy gently caress. I wonder if Codies can figure out how to implement front-wheel drive without it being so incredibly awful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SealHammer posted:

The kit cars are hot garbage, holy gently caress. I wonder if Codies can figure out how to implement front-wheel drive without it being so incredibly awful.

Try loving with the settings, Google some other dudes settings. The default for that one seem to suck.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

So I decided to stop being a baby and try the Stratos instead of the opel and Uh it's way more fun and I'm better with it. Stop scaring people away from it, it is the best car.
The Stratos owns and more people should use it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Great Joe posted:

The Stratos owns and more people should use it.

I will say I could see it being a nightmare with a controller or even a wheel and the default force feedback stuff. Use the IMPACT mod.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

SealHammer posted:

What's so bad about the implementation? The feedback or how they actually drive?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bsamu posted:

What's so bad about the implementation? The feedback or how they actually drive?

The way they drive. After getting so used to driving RWD, that exaggerated power-lift oversteer is maddening.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

The way they drive. After getting so used to driving RWD, that exaggerated power-lift oversteer is maddening.
I had difficulties going back to my Kit Car last night after doing the Monthly (Fiesta is so good, so easy to drive*); Kit Cars are definitely a very different driving style to get used to compared to anything else (the 60's cars are so underpowered they don't really hit home the FWD difference).

I was doing Wales, but, if anything, I felt I was struggling with understeer and bump stability problems (I think because it's so light little bumps upset it a lot more than one might expect, especially with how well you carry speed). That is to say: maybe tool around in the suspension settings a bit because that might be able to make it react less extreme under weight transfer, just maybe giving rise to other problems instead. :eng99: Like the Lancia 037, I was unable to find a setup I was really happy with the Peugeot 306 on Wales; no matter what the setup just feels like a bad compromise that drives relatively stable for the longest periods, but occasionally just gets murdered by localized areas.

Did you happen to be doing Germany? I feel like every Default setup on Germany in general (haven't done it single player yet in my Kit Car which is usually where I hone setups) has weight transfer issues that turns into mad oversteer if you aren't careful; I've found softer suspension and less negative camber helps me a ton in general on Germany to prevent the car from entering the Default's stiff lean in high speed turns that causes the car to totally let loose if you don't un-lean it carefully prior to lifting off the gas or heavy braking.

* I even managed a 6:29 on Pra d'Alart for the Monthly, a quite solid time judging by our earlier talks on ice driving using that stage. On a related note: does the game keep track of personal best runs on stages per cars at all? Seems like a useful thing for it to do, but their UI is half baked so it's hard to find some stuff, if it even exists.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

I picked this up day one because I loved the previous Dirt games, and I knew it was going to be harder, but the challenge has been consistent in a way I haven't experienced with any other racing game.

But today,

I got my first win.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cyberbird posted:

I picked this up day one because I loved the previous Dirt games, and I knew it was going to be harder, but the challenge has been consistent in a way I haven't experienced with any other racing game.

But today,

I got my first win.
:cheers:

In other news, I am so confused how the repair cost at the end of rallies in tabulated. Finished my Peugeot 306 Wales and, despite repairing everything to 100% almost every repair session I came away with a 170,000 credit charge for repairs. :what: I barely made any credits despite getting first (Master's event, so 200,000 credits).

Decided to buy the Ibiza for the next event so I can fully upgrade both Kit Cars in a single Kit Car Championship. Used probably about 3/4 the total repair time as the previous run and even crashed hard right before the end of the last stage (breaking my radiator and roughing up my front end pretty bad) and the repair cost was *drumroll* loving 20,000 credits.

What in the world decides the repair cost that a not ridiculously different amount of damage would diverge the repair costs by 150,000 credits? I had assumed it was by lingering damage + damage from the last two stages, but that doesn't make sense since with the end-of-run wreck on the latter, the damage had to be higher post-rally than the first one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bUm posted:

:cheers:

In other news, I am so confused how the repair cost at the end of rallies in tabulated. Finished my Peugeot 306 Wales and, despite repairing everything to 100% almost every repair session I came away with a 170,000 credit charge for repairs. :what: I barely made any credits despite getting first (Master's event, so 200,000 credits).

Decided to buy the Ibiza for the next event so I can fully upgrade both Kit Cars in a single Kit Car Championship. Used probably about 3/4 the total repair time as the previous run and even crashed hard right before the end of the last stage (breaking my radiator and roughing up my front end pretty bad) and the repair cost was *drumroll* loving 20,000 credits.

What in the world decides the repair cost that a not ridiculously different amount of damage would diverge the repair costs by 150,000 credits? I had assumed it was by lingering damage + damage from the last two stages, but that doesn't make sense since with the end-of-run wreck on the latter, the damage had to be higher post-rally than the first one.

I think the damage is all the repairs you made plus the damage at the end.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Maybe stop wrecking your car, dude.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Seriously, drive cleaner if you can. That way, you will be faster than you thought you could be.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

pik_d posted:

I think the damage is all the repairs you made plus the damage at the end.
Perhaps.

Some rallies I feel like I get really beat up though (using most of the 30 minutes to repair, occasionally not getting everything to 100% each time*) and it's a pittance to repair; other rallies I felt were not too bad (similar or better repair situation like the aforementioned Wales) and it's an arm and a leg, despite never having a component drop below 85~90% integrity per repair period. It just seems really inconsistent in my experience, but apparently I'm alone in that feeling judging by the responses.

* Does seem like cost and repair time is tied to car driven so that's probably part of it. I have always repaired everything to 100% but Kit Cars and 2010's since getting a full crew of 85 overalls since it takes drastically less time (and presumably credits) to repair lower-level/cheaper cars.

Triple A posted:

Seriously, drive cleaner if you can. That way, you will be faster than you thought you could be.
I do drive pretty clean and getting cleaner (usually making it through 12-stage events with restarts to spare, if using any at all, which never used to happen), but accidents happen sometimes and I feel like there's a degree of unavoidable wear and tear (especially on gravel, particularly on Wales with its very bumpy stages). I feel like I'm doing fairly good, still improving as well, on fastness: usually getting second against Master AI with unupgraded cars now, first with half upgraded cars; routinely top 5~10% on Daily/Weekly/Monthly Online Events.*

Maybe there's still work to be done though. Do people here manage to consistently do sub-5% damages per repair on gravel? I can usually manage that on tarmac and often find myself using under 15 (sometimes under 10) minutes of the repair window to get everything to 100%, but on gravel I usually have enough damage, even without notable accidents, that it's into the 15~30 minute range most repair windows with most components at 90~95%.

* At least you don't have to pay repairs for online stuff: should get a nice ~350k from the Monthly event ending imminently with no cut taken. :D

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4897
1. Backup your savegame before going to Win10 in case something goes wrong
2. FIA World Rallycross update is next week, AI for it isn't great yet so it might be too easy, rearview mirror available on all camera views but it is disabled by default due to performance concerns

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just picked this up today and holy poo poo is it fun.

That console inspired UI, though :mediocre:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I really hope they get around to cross-car courses with this update, being able to (try) to take the kit cars up Pikes Peak, take that beastly audi out on Germany, and then these Rallycross cars out on Wales.. Or even better, Group B rallycross.

Edit: Also a reverse Pikes Peak would be loving amazing, imagine trying to control some of the cars going downhill on that track.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Keket posted:

Edit: Also a reverse Pikes Peak would be loving amazing, imagine trying to control some of the cars going downhill on that track.

Nope, those downhill sections in Greece are stressful enough, especially with those boulders lining the road.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Today, I drove the Subaru. :swoon:

And also the Pikes Peak Audi. :magical:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Obviously it is early days but has there been talk of a console release? I so want to play this game :smith:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Potentially useful info: if you dead tie in points with an AI for a championship, it seems to give you the benefit of the doubt. Ran 2nd/1st/2nd/1st getting both Kit Cars upgraded and the top AI did 1st/2nd/1st/2nd and it still gave me the win and the corresponding achievement.

Surprisingly, I think Monaco was actually the hardest to manage with FWD, but maybe that was in part to it being the unupgraded Ibiza so I couldn't fix the suspension being so oversteer-happy over bumps which is always a tricky condition to manage. The Default for Germany (usually a sore spot in most cars for me) was actually exceptionally good, all I changed was adjusting for more even gearing and making it turn a little more aggressively (toe out on the front wheels).

julian assflange posted:

Obviously it is early days but has there been talk of a console release? I so want to play this game :smith:
Think they said it was a possibility after it's out of early access. Judging by their timeline, it'd be probably Q1 2016 at the very earliest though (AKA the last item on their timeline is Nov 2015 currently).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Just picked this up today and holy poo poo is it fun.

That console inspired UI, though :mediocre:
I like the UI.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So if this is a rally game, do you have a navigator? Is it human or AI? (I'd have plenty of fun navigating. I think I'd be good I just have this bad habit of mixing up "left" and "right" occasionally.) Also, is there any real-time racing against other players/goons?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Three-Phase posted:

So if this is a rally game, do you have a navigator? Is it human or AI? (I'd have plenty of fun navigating. I think I'd be good I just have this bad habit of mixing up "left" and "right" occasionally.) Also, is there any real-time racing against other players/goons?

You have a co-driver which reads out pace notes. I wouldn't even call it AI since it's just "call this note at this position on track".

There's a PvP update scheduled for this month, but right now the only thing you can do vs other humans is essentially the daily/weekly/monthly events (which are global), or leagues (against whoever is in said league), which are just "do a good time and compare it to others".

You can see the goon league here: https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pik_d posted:

You have a co-driver which reads out pace notes. I wouldn't even call it AI since it's just "call this note at this position on track".

There's a PvP update scheduled for this month, but right now the only thing you can do vs other humans is essentially the daily/weekly/monthly events (which are global), or leagues (against whoever is in said league), which are just "do a good time and compare it to others".

You can see the goon league here: https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

The actual physical online racing is going to be in Rallycross which is due for release within the next few days. They've actually missed their deadline for it but no-one's really complaining because unlike the F1 2015 community the Dirt fans seem to be generally cool as poo poo.

E: I fiddled with the OP a bit and finally updated the FFB mod link. I also like the UI.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 2, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

We're all hoping for co-op rallying but I doubt they'd bother.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I took the Peugeot out for the league event this time. After some really awful shakedowns, I just kept telling myself that if I'd just go slow and easy I'd do fine. Five freaky fast stages later, I think I'm getting used to it, but it's still pretty scary. I usually go for the Lancia, but I'm glad I went with the Peugeot this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4elzGZCrANM

e: Apparently my computer hiccups while recording. :(

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 3, 2015

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Things I didn't know: The car you choose for the league event uses the upgrades earned in your championship. :doh:

Also, is anyone doing a new goon league season? I'd step in, if neccessary.

e: WRX update is live: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4905

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

One thing I like about the upgrades is that they help you relax when you're just easing into a new car. :cool::coffee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

A good list of upgrades. I thought they figured out the random slipping out of gear? Was I mistaken on that? It's incredibly annoying.

• Locked thread