Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I was browsing Steam for new games, and I stumbled upon this little gem. It's a documentary titled Gaming In Color.

quote:

Almost every gamer will relate to the concept of seeking solace in a video game. Hope for sanctuary guides their escape into a virtual universe where they can be anything they want to be. For many, however, choosing to be true to themselves becomes an open invitation for hatred. This multiplies for those who are marginalized people, including people of color, women, and members of the LGBTQ community. Toxic cultures that breed violence and vitriol hide behind a industry that undervalues the innovation of its audience. GAMING IN COLOR crusades for anyone who believes that the pixelated world can be a better place for everyone, no matter who they are or what they love.

A lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise queer gamer has a higher chance of being mistreated in a social game. The power dynamics of a male-dominated geek society tips against them. Further, diverse queer themes in game storylines and characters are an anomaly in the mainstream video game industry. However, the gaming community is far more colorful than one may expect. Gaming In Color shows that there is a full spectrum of gamers picking up their controller to play.

This feature documentary explores the queer side of gaming culture and the game industry's LGBTQ presence. The queer geek community is taking huge steps forward in being recognized on a worldwide industry scale. At the same time, more popular mainstream and indie games are featuring a greater amount of queer characters than ever before, helping with visibility and acceptance. There's a long road ahead and tons of aspects that desperately need improvement, but the video games universe will continue to mature and diversify both in its community culture and industry only if we elevate the conversation about inclusion and respecting one another - not in spite of our gay geekiness, but because of it!
Of course, we can't have a video game topic without angry people!

loving lol.
Also, they sell movies on Steam now. ppl are srsly angry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

not my cup of tea personally but if someone finds the subject relatable or emotionally resonant then that's cool. i don't look for movies on steam they tend to be poor attempts at defining a kind of gamer culture which I find unappealing by default

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I already saw the Leauge of Legends documentary , thank you anyway

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DaveSplitter posted:

I was browsing Steam for new games, and I stumbled upon this little gem. It's a documentary titled Gaming In Color.

Of course, we can't have a video game topic without angry people!

loving lol.
Also, they sell movies on Steam now. ppl are srsly angry about it.

i like to imagine that the guy who says 'THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME' is very angry because he thought he was buying a video game and is now trying to warn people

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

thanks for telling us about your movie

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
mods namechange me to Out of the Closet and Into the Arcade!

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Melmac posted:

fuckng lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
As a gay dude I can tell you the gayming scene is boring. Needs more twinks.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hmmm yes indeed BUT since i put my dick in other mens' asses, i think of super mario in a different manner

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Gaymers do a lot of bug chasing
AMIRITE!! ¡! one1!!

Aug 4, 2010

im coming out, I AM A GAMER

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
powerful stuff

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
But...all the "fag" talk and the need to harass/scare away any lady gamers~!

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Does being over all the gay stuff make me homophobic, hipster, or just old?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

cram me sideways posted:

hmmm yes indeed BUT since i put my dick in other mens' asses, i think of super mario in a different manner

Excuse me, I self identify as a fun guy. Trans-goomba if you will...

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

Excuse me, I self identify as a fun guy. Trans-goomba if you will...

Wario is a Bear.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

www posted:

im coming out, I AM A GAMER

brave

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i didn't know coloured people were gay??

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

This is the moron director.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

social vegan posted:

i didn't know coloured people were gay??

Gameboy Color was blackface to gay gamers.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Lol.

Jesus loving Christ. Who is this Department of Justice you speak of? B-b-but do they represent Batman and Superman according to canon?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 4, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Stream is at the tipping point of getting real bad. Between movies, curators, and Early Access the store front page is almost always total garbage.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Wasn't there more opportunity to be a homo in Dragon Age than there was to be normal?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i know i'll make a documentary about this inconsequential intangible irrelevant thing - thats where the $$$$$$$$$ is

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol "Psychological Horror"

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

BigBoss posted:

Wasn't there more opportunity to be a homo in Dragon Age than there was to be normal?

they had a bunny ranch where you could buy a dwarf in tighty whiteys

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I have some gay friends but I am straight and we play games sometimes and it's not a problem because we're all adults who respect each other.

Well, thats my gaymer story.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm mad they didn't contact me to be in the movie.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Vegetable posted:

Lol "Psychological Horror"
Here are the rest of the tags; they're pretty lulzy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Walking Simulator? Did they show a guy walking down the street?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
poo poo, "Gaymers" somebody really did the math on that one

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to make a documentary about gay newspaper reading culture.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the wall trump's gonna build between usa and mexico wont be to keep the immigrants out, its to keep the narcissists in

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Guy in first pic looks like a gay Nyjah Huston.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Melmac posted:

Voted 5

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quakster posted:

the wall trump's gonna build between usa and mexico wont be to keep the immigrants out, its to keep the narcissists in

Suddenly I'm voting Trump.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks op, it's nice to know that Steam recognises the diversity within the gaming community and chooses to highlight it with a documentary that you can buy should you choose to do so. Hopefully this will help some people overcome their prejudices, two thumbs up.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hahahaha, gaymer culture

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We have a culture, it's great, and ANITA SARKEESIAN'S UNDERMINING IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Stream is at the tipping point of getting real bad. Between movies, curators, and Early Access the store front page is almost always total garbage.

have you ever tried to deal with how anyone else tries to sell digital copies of movies? and no I don't mean Netflix, Netflix is basically your local public library on the internet minus late fees but plus limited selection (which isn't a bad thing but it is what it is). but, like, I got Guardians of the Galaxies on blu-ray and they had this "digital download" version of the movie available and I gave it a shot and holy poo poo the process for getting it was pants-on-head loving retarded and involved juggling codes between all these retarded websites finally ending up at iTunes to get the actual movie, which ofc you couldn't load onto a video iPod because gently caress you, that's why

I'd like to see Steam take an honest stab at becoming a platform for movies because in general they're a hell of a lot more consumer-friendly than any of the current players and it will also help distract them from starting other retarded experiments (like forcing paid mods into TES or Fallout)

• Locked thread