Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
My favorite part of Skyrim was spending a stupid amount of time trying to find 50/50 of some red version of a plant. Literally multiple hours of my life. When I accomplished this, I was rewarded with a potion or something equally not worth it. Killed myself that day. :rip:

Edit: wasn't a potion, was an effect that gave you a 25% chance of duplicating a potion in alchemy. Cool, thanks.

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Obligatory Handle posted:

My favorite part of Skyrim was spending a stupid amount of time trying to find 50/50 of some red version of a plant. Literally multiple hours of my life. When I accomplished this, I was rewarded with a potion or something equally not worth it. Killed myself that day. :rip:

Edit: wasn't a potion, was an effect that gave you a 25% chance of duplicating a potion in alchemy. Cool, thanks.

They're really easy to find though, nirnroot grows on water and makes a noise all you had to do was walk along the edges of all the water in blackreach

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

They're really easy to find though, nirnroot grows on water and makes a noise all you had to do was walk along the edges of all the water in blackreach

I know. Still took a while because there were three or four I just couldn't find for some reason. It's probably because I was stoned or something.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was stoned to

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
have you ever masturbated to your skyrim character??

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Dongattack posted:

have you ever masturbated to your skyrim character??

I masturbate to the idea that I'm cucking that guy who follows Mjoll the lioness around.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I saw a mudcrab the other day

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You might want him to avoid Argonians too.

Morrowind was cool because the author of that piece was some pansexual rich dandy who would support you if you would strip for and kiss him.

Obligatory Handle posted:

I know. Still took a while because there were three or four I just couldn't find for some reason. It's probably because I was stoned or something.

I hated that because you had to get like 60 of those things or something to be done with it. It was also one of those quests where you don't get a marker on where the dude was at, so you had to remember the exact place he stays.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

burritolingus posted:

Well, in real life, there's monkeys and apes and humans, so I don't get why there can't be cats and tigers and catpeople. Humans are just monkeypeople for a certain point of view.

Confirmed for furry

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Wicker Man posted:

Morrowind was cool because the author of that piece was some pansexual rich dandy who would support you if you would strip for and kiss him.

Um. What?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

4 realz. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Crassius_Curio

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've probably put over a thousand hours into morrowind since it came out, and as recently as last year I've still found interesting things in it I didn't realise existed

game owns

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

I saw a mudcrab the other day

hosed up if true.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I've probably put over a thousand hours into morrowind since it came out, and as recently as last year I've still found interesting things in it I didn't realise existed

game owns

Funny thing is if you'd said you'd put 1000 hours into any other game I'd be praying for you right now; but you say you put 1000 into Morrorwind? Sure ok I can see that.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Funny thing is if you'd said you'd put 1000 hours into any other game I'd be praying for you right now; but you say you put 1000 into Morrorwind? Sure ok I can see that.

it's probably more, like probably a lot more, 1000 is a conservative estimate

but if it was around 1000, I'd say that the first 600-700 were in the first three years or so after it was released and then a few weeks or months of playing it here and there since then

game came out twelve years ago, poo poo, that makes me feel old

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9AbtCxDQA

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

holy loving lol

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
i got skyrim in a steam sale about a year ago and never played it, is it worth even downloading

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
if you also have the DLC, yes

and there are many fun mods out there besides mudcrab titties

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Ramsus posted:

i got skyrim in a steam sale about a year ago and never played it, is it worth even downloading

absolutely. it's a terrible game if you try to analyze it, but it's amazing in a moment-to-moment way, and you can easily sink 80+ hours into vanilla.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
its definitely worth a try man its got great atmosphere and enough content that you will never see everything

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah Skyrim's pretty dumb but I had fun with it. It doesn't do anything particularly amazingly but it's a neat little package that's very accessible, which probably really helped it get so big.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
once bethesda realised people would pay them to make good games for them they realised there was no longer any sense in doing it themselves

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Does it have lots of in game books I can read while making my character sit in front of a fire?

:goonsay:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

once bethesda realised people would pay them to make good games for them they realised there was no longer any sense in doing it themselves

vanilla skyrim isnt exactly bad imo, but once you've played modded you could never go back

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sonofsilversign posted:

vanilla skyrim isnt exactly bad imo, but once you've played modded you could never go back

I wouldn't say it's bad, either, but it certainly isn't very good

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
morrowind is pretty much my favourite game of all time so I'm extremely bitter that the franchise is for all intents and purposes dead as a worthwhile endeavour and is now basically the call of duty of open world adventure games

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
coming from Baldur's Gate and Bioware its cute when the morrowind fans gnash their teeth about todd hitler howard selling out to the casuals and ruining TES forever

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
They should have never gone with the MMO.

At best find a way to make a 2 player coop arrangement.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

morrowind is the best game when you're thinking about it, but then you actually play it, and you miss a fish 15 times in a row, or encounter more cliff racers while traveling to a city than NPCs you'll meet in that city.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Morrowind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rXsrZRchQ

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Thingyman posted:

morrowind is the best game when you're thinking about it, but then you actually play it, and you miss a fish 15 times in a row, or encounter more cliff racers while traveling to a city than NPCs you'll meet in that city.

Yeah I was excited to start playing Morrowind having never played it but then it kept crashing when I loaded any save and I had no idea what was going on.
I'm sure it's cool, and I have no difficulty believing it's better written than Skyrim and Oblivion.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

sout posted:

Yeah I was excited to start playing Morrowind having never played it but then it kept crashing when I loaded any save and I had no idea what was going on.
I'm sure it's cool, and I have no difficulty believing it's better written than Skyrim and Oblivion.

There's a "mod" that's actually a fan made patch that still gets updated to fix almost every major bug or crash. Even has optional modifiers for how you want the game to work.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Thingyman posted:

you should never miss anything fifteen times in a row unless you're for some reason trying to use a weapon you are totally unskilled with, and if you are doing that it should be trivial to purchase some training with it

cliffracers are not really an issue unless you're trying to sleep on the road and you can't because one is flying around on the other side of a hill from you, in which case you'd probably just get interrupted by a scrib or something anyway.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lmao that owns

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i think you'd struggle to find a game that compares to morrowind in depth, worldbuilding and sheer content its kind of unique in the industry

also its mechanics get a hard time cause it doesnt hold your hand at all, but once you know what your doing you can pretty much become a god

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 7, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

There's a "mod" that's actually a fan made patch that still gets updated to fix almost every major bug or crash. Even has optional modifiers for how you want the game to work.

Cheers, I may have a look once I'm done playing another dumb game, Mass Effect, for the first time. As I understand it's a decently long game though.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
boost your stats into the thousands levitate just out of reach and stab bitches with a spear all day every day

#realn'wahtalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

dog buttz posted:

Combined with the vague written directions as opposed to a compass, that's easily the best and worst part of Morrowind

If you didn't use the printed map while playing, you hosed up. Every cave and every door and tomb and mine and everything was carefully drawn on there. All you had to do was take the directions and draw them out on the physical map. You could even use it to find hidden treasures and other poo poo that nobody was going to tell you about.

• Locked thread