Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sigmachiev posted:

Show was killer. The degree of difficulty in that AJ/Okada match was nuts. Like there's no two other people in the world that could do the same match. Finish was breathtaking.

I was actually :magical:ing at that Styles Clash/neckbreaker reversal. The entire finishing stretch was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spermgod posted:

he was good at the demonstrating being in pain part of selling but he completely blew off the more important storytelling aspect when it was time to do his kicks and run around. i really like KUSHIDA but this is something he has always been iffy on.

Yeah that bit definitely took me out of the match. I just think Kushida's selling that he's in pain is better than pretty much anyone in wrestling, I really bought into Kenny torturing the poor guy.

It's gotta be hard to do junior style offense while also fake limping.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that bit definitely took me out of the match. I just think Kushida's selling that he's in pain is better than pretty much anyone in wrestling, I really bought into Kenny torturing the poor guy.

It's gotta be hard to do junior style offense while also fake limping.

Kushida's cries of anguish and the appearance of impact on Kenny's offense had me thinking I was watching Kenny kill a man's leg live. Like, for me it was so good in the moment that I didn't even notice or care when Kushida started throwing kicks and whatnot.

It's weird because Kenny didn't have that much damage done to his arm aside from having it pulled over the ropes and he sold it after the fact like he was a one-armed man. Put the two together and you have optimal selling, which I'd love to see because Kushida's sells had me WAY into the match on their own.

Oh, and I was sure Nakamura was going to do a ninja run to the ring (with either both arms behind him or one arm trailing while the other made a ninja sign in front of his face), and I'm really sad he didn't. I would've lost my mind.

Ninja second edit: I also completely forgot that they were in the Osaka-Jo hall, so I spent the whole show wondering who the hell Osaka Joe was.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 6, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I honestly thought Kenny's leg offense and his heat segments in general were kinda crappy in that match. The part where he needed several tries to tear a portion of KUSHIDA's bandages off was especially bad. I like Kenny a lot but I just don't think he's doing his best work during this heel run in New Japan. The match was still good but I thought the first half was really plodding and not in a way that benefited it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Every time I watch an AJ Styles NJPW main event I just get so , so happy that TNA ran him out of the company. It's the best thing they ever did for me, the viewer.

And it's amazing how different the booking is between McMahon and Gedo. Could you imagine Vince pushing a foreigner who can't speak their language as a top level guy? Like they pushed AJ right out of the gate even, it wasn't a "this guy is getting over so what the heck let's push him" thing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

And it's amazing how different the booking is between McMahon and Gedo. Could you imagine Vince pushing a foreigner who can't speak their language as a top level guy? Like they pushed AJ right out of the gate even, it wasn't a "this guy is getting over so what the heck let's push him" thing.

Another huge difference (and one that WWE should be able to do) is that regardless of who the IWGP champ is or whether he's a face or a heel he's consistently presented as a top guy holding the #1 prize in the sport and beating him in a world title match is a huge accomplishment.

I love the fanfares played before and after a title match and the ceremony afterwards, really helps cement the title as the big deal itshould be rather than just another prop.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Edit: ^^^ Yeah, it doesn't have to be a big ol trophy or a guaranteed post-match promo, but WWE should do more to celebrate a WHC title change. It doesn't have to be Daniel Bryan's celebration from WM 30 every time, but pop off some pyro and let the guy celebrate in the ring for awhile at least. It only happens a few times a year, so make it seem that much more special. Everybody has their music play after they win, add something on top of it.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I honestly thought Kenny's leg offense and his heat segments in general were kinda crappy in that match. The part where he needed several tries to tear a portion of KUSHIDA's bandages off was especially bad. I like Kenny a lot but I just don't think he's doing his best work during this heel run in New Japan. The match was still good but I thought the first half was really plodding and not in a way that benefited it.

I'm definitely watching too many slow paced WWE matches then, because even the bandage spot didn't bother me. I will agree that the second half is way more intense though, those running kicks to Kushida's leg :stonk:.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 6, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

triplexpac posted:

TBF it's a lot harder to be a top guy in WWE, since you have to be able to promo as well. People are already souring on Balor and saying "he's just an entrance"

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Could you imagine Vince pushing a foreigner who can't speak their language as a top level guy?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

desperate times

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

drat I knew I should have put "under 6 feet tall" in that sentence.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This was a hell of a goddamn show. Okada/Styles might be my favorite match of the year so far. The Bullet Club selling Red Shoes' "Suck it!" was magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This was a hell of a goddamn show. Okada/Styles might be my favorite match of the year so far. The Bullet Club selling Red Shoes' "Suck it!" was magical.

It was like they were hit by a physical wave of force :allears:

• Locked thread