Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Personally I think it's time to start considering some kind of shot clock. We seem to be reaching a point basketball reached before it introduced a shot clock; so often teams just keep possession aimlessly rather than making a genuine attempt on goal while the other team is content to just park the bus. Obviously, a shot-clock based on possession wouldn't work in football because teams would just kick the ball out of play but it could work if it alternated between the two teams regardless of who had possession.

What about the rest of you? How do you think football could be made less defensive? What other changes do you think the Laws of the Game desperately need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Benny Harvey posted:

Personally I think it's time to start considering some kind of shot clock. We seem to be reaching a point basketball reached before it introduced a shot clock; so often teams just keep possession aimlessly rather than making a genuine attempt on goal while the other team is content to just park the bus. Obviously, a shot-clock based on possession wouldn't work in football because teams would just kick the ball out of play but it could work if it alternated between the two teams regardless of who had possession.

What about the rest of you? How do you think football could be made less defensive? What other changes do you think the Laws of the Game desperately need?

Personally I'd like to see points awarded for having more shots on target, it would force teams to shoot more and be more clutch about their SoT ratio

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

chuggo is BACK posted:

Personally I'd like to see points awarded for having more shots on target, it would force teams to shoot more and be more clutch about their SoT ratio

Do you mean points as in league points or awarding goals for a certain amount of shots on target?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to actually see some people getting Frimponged if they dont stay dench.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Thanks for this thoughtful thread. Personally, I'd like:

• 4 quarters instead of two halves
  • Goal areas that award different amounts of points [5/2/1/2/5]
  • Video replays for fouls and stopping the time for discussing penalties
  • Cheerleaders
  • Better integration with FIFA stats
  • More advanced stats: The advanced stats community is constantly providing the best frame of reference for soccer
  • Cthulhu kittens!!! Haha, just joking :v:

Let me know what you think!

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

advanced statsman posted:

Thanks for this thoughtful thread. Personally, I'd like:

• 4 quarters instead of two halves
  • Goal areas that award different amounts of points [5/2/1/2/5]
  • Video replays for fouls and stopping the time for discussing penalties
  • Cheerleaders
  • Better integration with FIFA stats
  • More advanced stats: The advanced stats community is constantly providing the best frame of reference for soccer
  • Cthulhu kittens!!! Haha, just joking :v:

Let me know what you think!

I'm neither American nor do I like any American sports, I just think it's worthwhile to maybe take some ideas that might have worked elsewhere. What's wrong with video replays then?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
They are really good and should be implemented in soccer as soon as possible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Benny Harvey posted:

I'm neither American nor do I like any American sports, I just think it's worthwhile to maybe take some ideas that might have worked elsewhere. What's wrong with video replays then?

Clearly you don't like the foot either so idk what this thread is about.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Benny Harvey posted:

People here will mock this, but soccer is horrible to watch lately. We need bigger fields or something because doping has ruined the game. Charged up players running 12 km a match is pure misery to watch. More likely younger kids will just watch basketball and NFL as they are more exciting and more modern sports.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Clearly you don't like the foot either so idk what this thread is about.

I actually do. I just don't want to see another world cup final like 2010.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I think we should force defenders to go away for a minute if they stay in their own side of the field for more than 3 minutes without crossing to the opponent's side.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A more nuanced approach to punishing DOGSO infractions in the end zone.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benny Harvey posted:

I actually do. I just don't want to see another world cup final like 2010.

Why not?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
award more points for a DZSiBoT% and squared SOBOT imo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd like to see fraudulent talentless fucks like Jozy Altidore banned from professional football.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Pissflaps posted:

I'd like to see fraudulent talentless fucks like Jozy Altidore banned from professional football.

I agree

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Because it was poo poo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So what ?

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Good thread, OP. Sorry stuff here gets poo poo on instantly, but we lack moderation lol.

Personally, I'd like to see 3rd/4th place playoff games done away with completely. It's not original by any extent, but nobody gives a gently caress who gets 3rd/4th so lets gently caress off with it, yeah?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

meat CRime posted:

Good thread, OP. Sorry stuff here gets poo poo on instantly, but we lack moderation lol.

Personally, I'd like to see 3rd/4th place playoff games done away with completely. It's not original by any extent, but nobody gives a gently caress who gets 3rd/4th so lets gently caress off with it, yeah?

Mostly yeah but then there's occasions when a smaller team gets knocked out at the semi-final. Although if you think the 3rd/4th match is bad, Blatter was considering introducing a consolation plate tournament for teams that got knocked out of the first round.

Well, besides being poo poo for entertainment value I don't think either side deserved to be there. The only reason Spain's tactics worked is because Holland didn't properly go all-out defend and literally stick all 11 men on the goal line.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Football would be improved if it was replaced by an anime themed moba esport imo

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Half time venkys for fans and players (peep the motherfriggin av :D)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This isn't a rules thing, because I think the game on the pitch is fine, but it would be good if the financial fair play rules were actually enforced. PSG being cleared of all FFP infractions is a joke.

Maybe clubs should just be banned from signing absurd sponsorships like pot noodle partners in Malaysia or from receiving 0% loans from their billionaire owners that will never be paid back.

The only thing wrong with football is the amount of money involved, and I say that as someone who supports a team that was bankrolled by an rear end in a top hat millionaire and benefitted greatly from all of these financial tricks.

meat CRime posted:

The last time I moderated you had an insane meltdown about fantasy sports so I thought I was doing you a favor.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Benny Harvey posted:

Mostly yeah but then there's occasions when a smaller team gets knocked out at the semi-final. Although if you think the 3rd/4th match is bad, Blatter was considering introducing a consolation plate tournament for teams that got knocked out of the first round.

Well, besides being poo poo for entertainment value I don't think either side deserved to be there. The only reason Spain's tactics worked is because Holland didn't properly go all-out defend and literally stick all 11 men on the goal line.

Yep, i think any FIFA tournament should ultimately end up being #1 vs #2 and anyone else can gently caress off. The only reason they torture beaten teams is for more TV money. Its a bad policy.

If they were to rework the bracketing in such a way that the outcome of 3rd vs 4th affected 1st vs 2nd, id have to rethink this lol

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

The last time I moderated you had an insane meltdown about fantasy sports so I thought I was doing you a favor.

Im not part of the clique, but maybe if i spam rape jokes in the womens world cup thread youll pay more attention

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
What's wrong with defending op?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Polidoro posted:

What's wrong with defending op?

Nothing, I like it. But there's no defending without attack.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Benny Harvey posted:

Nothing, I like it. But there's no defending without attack.

Let me show you some Uruguay games

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

People forget lately that sports is #1 about being entertaining. Most of the time soccer isn't anymore.

Teams should both get 0 points for games that finish 0-0

meat CRime posted:

Im not part of the clique, but maybe if i spam rape jokes in the womens world cup thread youll pay more attention

Go have a cry somewhere else dude lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Polidoro posted:

Let me show you some Uruguay games

Luis's ban will end someday!

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

People forget lately that sports is #1 about being entertaining. Most of the time soccer isn't anymore.

Sorry mate, did i encroach on 'rape jokes in the womens world cup thread' territory.

Tell me more

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

trem_two posted:

Luis's ban will end someday!

And he'll he right back to playing as our central midfielder

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

If you did that teams would probably just have gentlemen's agreements to let the game go to 1-1 asap.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Op, I like your idea of a shotclock, but football is so much better than basketball. How would it work?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To solve the doping problem, all Spanish clubs and players should be banned, as should the Spanish national team in international play.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Destroy the loving rule for getting booked if you take off your shirt in a celebration.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Narrower penalty area.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

To solve the doping problem, all Spanish clubs and players should be banned, as should the Spanish national team in international play.

Please phrase your answer in 1989 style font with accompanying logic

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

meat CRime posted:

Op, I like your idea of a shotclock, but football is so much better than basketball. How would it work?

Well in basketball it changes when the other team gets possession but in football that would lead to teams just booting it out so I figure it'd be better if the clock only went onto the other team after a shot on target has been made. Also, the time would have to be a lot longer, maybe 5 minutes or more? If the clock runs out before they've had a shot on target then the "defending" team (ie. the one without the shot clock) would get a penalty.

Alain Post posted:

I'll agree with this once Catalonia gets independence.

Arquebus posted:

Destroy the loving rule for getting booked if you take off your shirt in a celebration.

While I agree that it's a stupid rule I think anyone who still does it deserves a booking for the stupidity of it.

Dollas posted:

Narrower penalty area.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

They should make the games more entertaining, with more action

• Locked thread