Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

dogcrash truther posted:

It's actual fact, fucker. Why don't you look up the employment rates in those countries if you don't believe me.

Ah, that is an intelligent argument and so very relevant aswell. I never thought of that. Feel free to post sources for your actual facts for this fucker to peruse at his leisure.

Lots of greeks posting up in this thread.

Can't wait if the people in charge of the EU are wise to the sunk cost fallacy.

We'll know tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

how me a frog posted:

All non American economists agree that the fallout of GREXIT would be "insignificant, at worst" so I dunno what you're on about.

If it's insignificant then why would you even care.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Fact or fiction?

maybe you should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Also check the GNP and unemployment rates for EU countries which tried forced austerity to cure the economy over the last few years.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

how me a frog posted:

Ah, that is an intelligent argument and so very relevant aswell. I never thought of that. Feel free to post sources for your actual facts for this fucker to peruse at his leisure.

Lots of greeks posting up in this thread.

Can't wait if the people in charge of the EU are wise to the sunk cost fallacy.

We'll know tomorrow.

Hey, you said Spain and Italy are doing great with austerity. They're not.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

For reference, greek spending on it's pensions is 12% of GDP, less than austria and the UK and almost the same as germany. But this is "too much on pensions" apparantly. lol.

I would be surprised if 1% is what Americans spend

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

dogcrash truther posted:

If it's insignificant then why would you even care.

Because the greeks might vote NAI and that would get them a 27th chance, and being that I am a citizen of an actual useful country I don't want to foot the bill for that.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

dogcrash truther posted:

Hey, you said Spain and Italy are doing great with austerity. They're not.

I said their situations have improved. You seem to disagree, but neither of us have provided any sources so we're both equally idiots, just one of us is right, and it could be either of us.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
euro is gonna take a hit if they leave, either you pay directly or you pay via lower spending power of the euro

either way you pay

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

how me a frog posted:

Because the greeks might vote NAI and that would get them a 27th chance, and being that I am a citizen of an actual useful country I don't want to foot the bill for that.

It's interesting to me that a lot of people, like you, don't seem to realize that one country's imports are another country's exports, and that one person's profit is another person's payment and so on.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Lufiron posted:

euro is gonna take a hit if they leave, either you pay directly or you pay via lower spending power of the euro

either way you pay

There is difference between writing off your security deposit because your roomate is a slob, and agreeing to pay his rent indefinitely because you're scared the landlord will find out said roomate has been running a jenkem ring from his room given the fact that he won't even agree to stop doing that poo poo because he considers your demand terrorism.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
and that if the euro loses 10% of its value you just lost 10% of your wealth which is similar to just losing it outright

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

dogcrash truther posted:

It's interesting to me that a lot of people, like you, don't seem to realize that one country's imports are another country's exports, and that one person's profit is another person's payment and so on.

What does Greece export and export, smart guy? I had a look at the numbers. The answer is, if you don't know, gently caress all.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Lufiron posted:

and that if the euro loses 10% of its value you just lost 10% of your wealth which is similar to just losing it outright

Lol if you think this is a possible scenario.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

There is difference between writing off your security deposit because your roomate is a slob, and agreeing to pay his rent indefinitely because you're scared the landlord will find out said roomate has been running a jenkem ring from his room given the fact that he won't even agree to stop doing that poo poo because he considers your demand terrorism.

this would work if you also demanded that he clean it up himself instead of hitting up his parents for money to hire someone to clean (ie tax corporations)

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Lufiron posted:

this would work if you also demanded that he clean it up himself instead of hitting up his parents for money to hire someone to clean (ie tax corporations)

Well at least we all agree the EU will be better off without Greece, and Greece, well, who gives half a gently caress.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lufiron posted:

The thing the clever germans don't realize is defusing the crisis is actually the cheaper option in the long run than demanding they got every last cent back.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

Lol if you think this is a possible scenario.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=USD&view=1Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=1Y

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Well what really matters is that you guys don't get this thread gassed before tomorrow evening eurotime because there will be loads to discuss in a reasoned and well thought out fashion I'm sure.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Krugman called it.

just sayin'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

Krugman called it.

just sayin'

the EU monetary concept is dumb since countries gave up a handy to fight economic slumps.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Thankfully this is not some existential conundrum, the dice will fall and we'll see who was tantgibly right, and who was wrong, won't we?

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
They need a stronger, more effective currency union or none at all. Californians don't really give a poo poo that they're subsidizing the gently caress out of Alabama or wherever, and Alabama isn't ever going to be in Greece's situation no matter how bad its economy gets.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I think Germany et al understand this and if Portugal or whoever threatened to exit as well they would get way better terms than Greece. It might just be a matter of dumping sine deadweight before the Eurozone becomes more federalized.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the imf

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I would be surprised if 1% is what Americans spend

5% iirc, including benefits normally included as a national healthcare service in other countries.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

how me a frog posted:

Thankfully this is not some existential conundrum, the dice will fall and we'll see who was tantgibly right, and who was wrong, won't we?

No, not really, since you're not making any argument at all.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Well at least we all agree the EU will be better off without Greece, and Greece, well, who gives half a gently caress.

Will it?

Will the EU be better off if Greece bails itself out by granting Russia leases for military bases?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

Will it?

Will the EU be better off if Greece bails itself out by granting Russia leases for military bases?

if it leaves the EU it will literally just default and refuse to pay back its creditors. It means figuring out a new tax system though and closing the loopholes since no one will back up their sovereign debt for the next 30 years if they default.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

how me a frog posted:

Well what really matters is that you guys don't get this thread gassed before tomorrow evening eurotime because there will be loads to discuss in a reasoned and well thought out fashion I'm sure.

If we wanted reasoned discussion we wouldn't be egging on some swabian transwife who demands facts while giving none

also lol at the demand for :gas:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is greece still moving toward fascism?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

if it leaves the EU it will literally just default and refuse to pay back its creditors. It means figuring out a new tax system though and closing the loopholes since no one will back up their sovereign debt for the next 30 years if they default.

Yeah, I worded my post poorly. I said bail out when I didn't really mean bail out.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Serious Frolicking posted:

better dead than red, etc

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I don't actually know what the Golden Dawn is about besides genocide. So Maybe

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well austerity made Tojo, Mussolini and Hitler successful

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't actually know what the Golden Dawn is about besides genocide. So Maybe

Its about reclaiming their glorious Macedonian history from those motherfucking history stealing Macedonians and purging the state of Macedonia from this earth. Alexander the great for leader of the year all years, just no one mention he forgot to name his own heir and plunged the country into civil war.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Its about reclaiming their glorious Macedonian history from those motherfucking history stealing Macedonians and purging the state of Macedonia from this earth. Alexander the great for leader of the year all years, just no one mention he forgot to name his own heir and plunged the country into civil war.

How do the feel about macadamia nuts?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lol if greece's financial collapse spawns the next hitler just lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Greece doesn't have the power to do it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

instead of memorable mustache, Greek hitler will have amazing back hair

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

instead of memorable mustache, Greek hitler will have amazing back hair

or an awesome banana hammock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekgb
May 8, 2005

Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti: Still watching you!

how me a frog posted:

Citizens of greece: please vote OXI on the measures that aren't even on the table anymore due to the absolutely ridiculous behaviour of your clown president or whatever you call him. I am sure flinging feces in the collective faces of all those that have kept your failed state afloat for the past five years will "strengthen your position" for "further negotiations."

Yes the referendum is about an offer that is not even valid anymore. Bask in the glory of this stupidity.

Mate, you're a clueless idiot with stupid opinions, afaik...

• Locked thread