Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

etalian posted:

well the EU was based around the hilarious concept of different sovereign states with the same currency and also the same central bank.

In a crisis situation why should one sovereign country sacrifice something to save a lesser one?

Maybe it was designed this way so different sovereign countries would realise that they were all interconnected and that harm to one would be harm to all, then once enlightened they would engage in works of mutual benefit and public good? I mean, they at least seem to have realised the "interconnected" part, but so far they're reacting to it by furiously sawing off their own legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

Maybe it was designed this way so different sovereign countries realised they were all interconnected and that harm to one would be harm to all, then once enlightened they would engage in works of mutual benefit and public good? I mean, they at least seem to have realised the "interconnected" part, but so far they're reacting to it by furiously sawing off their own legs.

This is enlightened perspective which doesn't work when you have Ferengi involved as the most influential state.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Fargo Fukes posted:

Maybe it was designed this way so different sovereign countries would realise that they were all interconnected and that harm to one would be harm to all, then once enlightened they would engage in works of mutual benefit and public good? I mean, they at least seem to have realised the "interconnected" part, but so far they're reacting to it by furiously sawing off their own legs.

Kicking Greece out is not sawing of one's own legs, it's more akin to clipping ones nails in the grand scheme of things. This is generally viewed as a good thing to do fyi.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

unpacked robinhood posted:

guys should we have turkey in the EU, it's important

please respond

i think this is a good idea because the eu is poo poo and that'd make things way funnier

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe Greece could leave and join Putin's slav EU knockoff?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

This photo is from negotiations in London in 1953, where Greece and ~20 other nations renegotiated the terms of West Germany's debts. They forgave about half of their debt, lowered the interest charged, and extended repayment time. It's now a case study in debt relief and economic recovery, and was in fact referred to as the German economic miracle. But of course it's impossible now because Greece is too lazy / unimportant / whatever, just make something up and get a talking head to repeat it often enough, doesn't matter

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Maybe Greece could leave and join Putin's slav EU knockoff?

that's what is probably going to happen. the kremlin would do anything to undermine the eu and nato, I wouldn't be surprised if they used greece as a poster boy for what benefits other troubled nations if they decide to follow suit.

the real question is if this does happen, how much support is russia able to give

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 5, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

This photo is from negotiations in London in 1953, where Greece and ~20 other nations renegotiated the terms of West Germany's debts. They forgave about half of their debt, lowered the interest charged, and extended repayment time. It's now a case study in debt relief and economic recovery, and was in fact referred to as the German economic miracle. But of course it's impossible now because Greece is too lazy / unimportant / whatever, just make something up and get a talking head to repeat it often enough, doesn't matter

This was due to how the US saw a strong West Germany as a economic and military hedge against the Soviet Union.

In this case the Greeks really don't have any outside power to encourage similar haircuit relief among the creditor nations.

Lufiron posted:

that's what is probably going to happen. the kremlin would do anything to undermine the eu and nato, I wouldn't be surprised if they used greece as an poster boy for what benefits other troubled nations if they decide to follow suit.

the real question is if this does happen, how much support is russia able to give

Putin already sent out feelers saying he could provide the greeks with aid such as cheaper energy import rates, mainly a gently caress you the richer eurozone countries.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

greece will stay in the eu AND euro zone and just stop paying their debt. noone can kick them out and the government has stated over and over that they have no intention of leaving.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

They aint buying food either.

Eh food isn't the problem. If it's produced in the country, they can pay for it with Drachmas. But they aren't getting any iPhones for a long time.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

etalian posted:

This was due to how the US saw a strong West Germany as a economic and military hedge against the Soviet Union.

In this case the Greeks really don't have any outside power to encourage similar haircuit relief among the creditor nations.

Putin already sent out feelers saying he could provide the greeks with aid such as cheaper energy import rates, mainly a gently caress you the richer eurozone countries.

So as the rest of the world doesn't need Greece to thrive, gently caress 'em? I though Europe was supposed to be a land of enlightened farts

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

So as the rest of the world doesn't need Greece to thrive, gently caress 'em? I though Europe was supposed to be a land of enlightened farts

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

It's more because Ferengi want to get paid at any cost even though in the long run it would damage their interests.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

The EU have worked with them for 7 years trying to introduce reforms that are designed to help Greece thrive. Crazy things like collecting taxes. Greece hasn't played its part.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

greece will stay in the eu AND euro zone and just stop paying their debt. noone can kick them out and the government has stated over and over that they have no intention of leaving.

that owns. they should print the gently caress out of euros

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It'll be kind of an automatic thing. If the EU doesn't send the Greeks any more Euros for the banks to pay out they can either keep closed forever, or switch to another currency. Then you have a country that technically is still in the Eurozone but doesn't have any Euros apart from the bills and coins that are already in the country.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

adamarama posted:

The EU have worked with them for 7 years trying to introduce reforms that are designed to help Greece thrive. Crazy things like collecting taxes. Greece hasn't played its part.

People keep saying this, but even with a low collection rate, the Greeks in 2007 still had only a 3 percent spread between spending and receipts. The problem they had is that global finance poo poo itself, and credit became a lot tighter. Were it not for that crisis and subsequent lack of credit, they would have been fine. Not that there aren't structural reforms that could help Greece, but if creditors had taken the same attitude towards Germany in the 50s, they would have been hosed and you would have read all these articles about lazy Germans and tax dodging and so on

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

that maps ends with 2011 you got something a bit more updated?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lufiron posted:

nah just yoinked it from this thing, which was a p good read: http://www.interfluidity.com/v2/5965.html

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbZe1dR2gZc

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

is there an anime of this i can watch to get up to speed here

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Michael lewis on Greece, http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
What's really funny is how there are now released documents from the US spying on Merkel that show she knew Greece would never be able to repay the debts

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lufiron posted:

This is growth rate, so even when the curve went up it meant that things were still getting worse. It gets back up to zero at the end because at this point the Greek economy has had pretty much the maximum amount of damage inflicted possible and still be called an economy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So when "Golden Dawn" takes over rhe capital, will we finally stop accepting sweaty greek food workers into society?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Now that austerity has been proven to not ever work for around 35 years now, how much longer are people that insist on it going to be taken seriously? Another 35 years or so?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Id like to be more informed that I am, but the way I understood it the EU is pretty grumpy because while everyone agrees that the austerity measures for greece are generally poo poo, there are reforms that they basically have to do in order to be long term viable, like cutting ridiculous spendings and actually paying their taxes, but greece is mostly "hm, no" and this causes the EU to not implementing solutions that are actually viable, since they believe that it still wont make a difference. Is this correct? Am I dumb as gently caress?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What's really funny is how there are now released documents from the US spying on Merkel that show she knew Greece would never be able to repay the debts

It's basically the same reasoning US banks used to give poor people high risk loans.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

Id like to be more informed that I am, but the way I understood it the EU is pretty grumpy because while everyone agrees that the austerity measures for greece are generally poo poo, there are reforms that they basically have to do in order to be long term viable, like cutting ridiculous spendings and actually paying their taxes, but greece is mostly "hm, no" and this causes the EU to not implementing solutions that are actually viable, since they believe that it still wont make a difference. Is this correct? Am I dumb as gently caress?

to put it quite simply:

The dog poo poo on the rug and Angela Merkel thinks the more reasonable path forward is to repeatedly kick the dog in the stomach for the next few decades.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Germany's grumpy because they haven't fought a land war in 70 years. Maybe they should invade Belgium or something to get it out of their system.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Germany's grumpy because they haven't fought a land war in 70 years. Maybe they should invade Belgium or something to get it out of their system.

lol

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Greece is what would happen if you let D&D run a country

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Nobody in Greece pays taxes. This is what happens if the entire country collectively decides not to pay taxes

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

when is greece going to anschluss albania

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Nobody in Greece pays taxes. This is what happens if the entire country collectively decides not to pay taxes

this is not true, and every time you or anyone else in the thread posts it you mark yourself as a complete loving idiot incapable of understanding complex systems such as international finance and lending

HOPE. THIS. HELPS.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

rabble rabble posted:

this is not true, and every time you or anyone else in the thread posts it you mark yourself as a complete loving idiot incapable of understanding complex systems such as international finance and lending

HOPE. THIS. HELPS.

Greece has a serious tax evasion problem, and now it is broke and will probably end up as putins bitch

HOPE. THIS. HELPS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

rabble rabble posted:

HOPE. THIS. HELPS.

people see things like

quote:

Comparing bank data with government data, the authors found that the true income of the average Greek person is about 1.92 times larger than what's actually reported to the government. 

and say '92% OF GREEKS DONT PAY THEYRE TAXES OMG' because they're dumb as poo poo

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Blue Train posted:

people see things like

and say '92% OF GREEKS DONT PAY THEYRE TAXES OMG' because they're dumb as poo poo

Not reporting your income, or having a system that misreports people's incomes = not enough taxes. Taxes are required for a government to function :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Not reporting your income, or having a system that misreports people's incomes = not enough taxes. Taxes are required for a government to function :D

underreporting != nonpayment

• Locked thread