Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Ive got the itch to build something, but I'm not sure what.

-It has to handle well yet be comfortable on the highway for long trips.
-Has to idle well and be quiet.
-Has to accelerate better than anything else from a roll, within reason. I likely won't come across a UGR Lambo or whatever, but if it can hang with a quick sportbike that would be nice.
-Has to be driveable in heavy rain.
-Preferably buy someone else's project and modify slightly to make it my own.

Some ideas i've been kicking around:

- Pro Touring C3 Corvette with updated everything except body.
- Turbo LS Miata
- 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra (Or Replica) with Turbo LS and Independent rear from a 99 - 04 Cobra
- Pro touring Pickup truck ??

I would LOVE a stretched A/C Cobra replica, but you have to pull some shiesty poo poo with insurance and registration to get one on the road in Canada, plus that is against all my requirements above.

By "Pro touring" I mean mostly stock appearance older vehicle outside, but modern suspension, engine, trans, brakes underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Twincharged Buick Roadmaster wagon. Woody.

Beats me what suspension options are out there for it. Hotchkis?

Power wise, you're starting from an LT1 so probably anything particularly hard (including an LS swap) has already been explored by the Camaro crew.

Can't be much heavier than a pickup truck.

Option 2: Doogle up a Civic. They're cheap now.

Option 3: Turbo-rotary-swap a Mazda B2200. They can't possibly weigh more than an actual turbo FD RX7, and I've seen those run ridiculous quarters.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 5, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

commercial diesel swap into something that was never meant to see it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Shampoo posted:

commercial diesel swap into something that was never meant to see it.

5 ton axles + supersized 20-30s sedan body.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Twin-stick C3 Corvette with a 4-53 turbo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cursedshitbox posted:

Already has a diesel 5 ton axle project. Every time I work on it I gain an inch in bicep size.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Twincharged Buick Roadmaster wagon. Woody.

Beats me what suspension options are out there for it. Hotchkis?

Power wise, you're starting from an LT1 so probably anything particularly hard (including an LS swap) has already been explored by the Camaro crew.

Can't be much heavier than a pickup truck.

Option 2: Doogle up a Civic. They're cheap now.

Option 3: Turbo-rotary-swap a Mazda B2200. They can't possibly weigh more than an actual turbo FD RX7, and I've seen those run ridiculous quarters.

Oooh, an LoL that thing loving motors Grand National would be neat. GN's are an amazingly cool car. especially because most kids these days have no clue what they are.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
What happened to the 6x6?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Maintain at all times a daily driving ready Maserati Biturbo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

There's only one choice.

6x6 ====> Doof Wagon.

All your other requirements, frankly, are immaterial.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Turbo LS400? Stock forged engines from factory (pre 1996), boat-y and comfy as gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fingerling posted:

Turbo LS400? Stock forged engines from factory (pre 1996), boat-y and comfy as gently caress.

Probably the best option to keep up with a modern 600 from a roll and do the rest of what he is asking.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just Chompin' posted:

What happened to the 6x6?

Still got it, it's almost finished. Also, it's fire engine red now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
- Classic Saab
- Old Rover SD1 with a proper V8 swapped in
- Something JAY DEE EMM BRAH, like a Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 wagon
- Bentley Turbo

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most of these things are not going to be fast on the highway. I'm leaning towards Cammed/ported/turbo LS is the answer.

time to start looking at ebay and random forum's classified sections.

What are the upper horsepower limits on premium pump fuel these days ? 1200 ?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jonathan posted:

Most of these things are not going to be fast on the highway. I'm leaning towards Cammed/ported/turbo LS is the answer.
So what's your metric for "fast on the highway" performance? Because I'd have thought once you get to ~500bhp, you're getting into very fast bike territory.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

So what's your metric for "fast on the highway" performance? Because I'd have thought once you get to ~500bhp, you're getting into very fast bike territory.

Maybe 10 years ago. We have 200hp ~400lb bikes stock off the showroom floor or with just a flashtune (S1000RR, Panigale, ZX10R). Hell, you can go buy a Kawaski H2 and flash it - nothing else, even stock exhaust - and make 240whp. The H2R will make 300whp with just a tune.

Food for thought, a stock BMW S1000RR is a little bit quicker than a Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse, which makes 1200hp, until you get well over 150mph.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 5, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe 10 years ago. We have 200whp ~400lb bikes stock off the showroom floor. Hell, you can go buy a Kawaski H2 and flash it - nothing else, even stock exhaust - and make 240whp.
Ok, right, that's a hell of a lot of power. I'm completely out of my area with bike stuff.

Is it even possible to make a car really keep with a 240bhp bike while still being relatively "liveable"?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So you are looking for a chassis to do a turbo LS build basically. You can do it pretty cheap denmah style, most of the poo poo people do to them aren't needed.

Are you looking for a chassis that has a bolt in option or conversion package, or custom fab ham loving something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jonathan posted:

FD RX7 is the best choice for this imo, should be pretty easy to find a shell. FC RX7 or 240SX if you're on a budget. Not really over the top because they're popular choices for an LS, but it's popular for a reason I suppose.

I've always wanted to swap an LS into a E38 but that would probably be too heavy for what you wanted to do. A 3 series would probably go like stink with a turbo'd LS.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Honda swapped classic Mini or Mini Moke.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Ok, right, that's a hell of a lot of power. I'm completely out of my area with bike stuff.

Is it even possible to make a car really keep with a 240bhp bike while still being relatively "liveable"?

Considering most of the cars that can keep up with a ~150 HP sub 500 lb. sportbike are things like LaFerraris and McLaren P1s, no, not really, as the kinds of cars that could keep up with a 200+ HP bike look a lot like this:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 6, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

leica posted:

FD RX7 is the best choice for this imo, should be pretty easy to find a shell. FC RX7 or 240SX if you're on a budget. Not really over the top because they're popular choices for an LS, but it's popular for a reason I suppose.

I've always wanted to swap an LS into a E38 but that would probably be too heavy for what you wanted to do. A 3 series would probably go like stink with a turbo'd LS.

Hmm, E28 with a turbo LQ4 budget build.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, E28 with a turbo LQ4 budget build.

Great loving idea.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
e39 LS swap with a supercharger sticking out of the hood

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Im on boars with a doof wagon complete with flame guitars.

If not, turbo Lexus LS400 2nd. Cheap car, but run for decades.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Considering most of the cars that can keep up with a ~150 HP sub 500 lb. sportbike are things like LaFerraris and McLaren P1s, no, not really, as the kinds of cars that could keep up with a 200+ HP bike look a lot like this:

Here is a set of standing mile results: http://www.liy.fi/tulokset/

A stock Suzuki Hayabusa can just reach 300 km/h on that mile. The faster bikes have turbos, NOS etc.

In the results above you should note a Volvo 240 that hit 302 km/h. It is a daily driver and looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02hv4d2bkiM

Edit: Horrible grammar.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 9, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My vote is an old Bentley or Rolls with an ls and enough boost to hit your performance numbers requirements.

You can add giggle gas for low end grunt.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

FD RX7 is the best choice for this imo, should be pretty easy to find a shell.

C5 with turbos or a big S/C. Why bother swapping when it's pretty similar? It's a little lighter, yeah but not worth the effort. FD RX7s are tiny, too. If you're 6 feet tall+, good luck.

If it were me, I'd say turbo roadmaster on airbags. Comfy as hell and I'd even leave the auto in it. I'd love the look on peoples faces getting smoked by a 2 ton+ wagon.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Here are a set of standing mile results: http://www.liy.fi/tulokset/

A stock Suzuki Hayabusa can just reach 300 km/h on that mile. The Faster bikes has turbos, NOS etc.

In the results above you should note a Volvo 240 that hit 302 km/h. It is a daily driver and looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02hv4d2bkiM

I don't know what this is supposed to prove beyond showing that a modified Volvo struggles to match the trap speeds (and comes nowhere close to matching the ETs) of some factory stock bikes ridden by riders who aren't very good at launching? (A showroom stock 2008 Hayabusa will get somewhere in the 9 second quarter mile/400m times, so it looks like a lot of those riders are having terrible launches).

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Put a big block in the back of a 323 hatchback. Drive the rear wheels with a snowmobile chain drive. :getin:

Bonus points if it's a diesel.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to prove beyond showing that a modified Volvo struggles to match the trap speeds (and comes nowhere close to matching the ETs) of some factory stock bikes ridden by riders who aren't very good at launching? (A showroom stock 2008 Hayabusa will get somewhere in the 9 second quarter mile/400m times, so it looks like a lot of those riders are having terrible launches).

Those results are from a standing mile on a dusty airfield, not from a dragstrip. The poor grip actually hurts the cars much more than the bikes, because the cars are less prone to wheelie.

Well, the OP was asking for ideas for a modified car that accelerates well "from a roll" and can "hang with a quick sportbike". You basically stated that it is not really possible this side of a F1 car. In fact there are a lot of modified cars, street drivable that can hang with "quick sportbikes" at higher speeds (Note, not standing 1/4 mile). Even old, daily driven Volvo station wagons. That Volvo is by no means an extreme example of a fast, streetable car.

The power-to-weight weight advantage bikes have becomes less and less meaningful as the speed increases. Weight loses importance compared to aerodynamic drag and cars have much lower drag coefficients than bikes and they have much more power than bikes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Well, the OP was asking for ideas for a modified car that accelerates well "from a roll" and can "hang with a quick sportbike". You basically stated that it is not really possible this side of a F1 car. In fact there are a lot of modified cars, street drivable that can hang with "quick sportbikes" at higher speeds

No. https://rideapart.com/articles/12000-suzuki-hayabusa-outperforms-1-7-million-bugatti-veyron

E: To elaborate, yes, it is technically possible to make a volvo* that is as fast as a fast sportbike. You would also be putting about $100k into the engine alone.

A 1350 HP Nismo GT-R can just barely catch a Ninja H2R at the end of a 1/2 (not 1/4) mile run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpM0fnW0vg

Some goon posting on something awful dot com is not going to be building something anywhere close to as fast or powerful as a 1300+ HP AWD drag car as his zany fun times project. He'll have fun with the project and I'm sure it'll give us a great project thread to read and will be hugely entertaining for him to drive, but it never hurts to temper expectations with reality.

* I swear to god goons have such a tremendously unhealthy love for goddamn turbobricks. Yes you can make them fast-ish for cheap, but dear baby jesus they are not smoking hot performance cars stop acting like they're hot goddamn poo poo, you're just as bad as Honda fanboys thinking a Civic is the best performance car ever.

VvvvvvvV FWD V8 is the most hilarious thing ever and is clearly the best (funniest) option

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 9, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Smallest car you can get away with built on the Hurst Hairy Olds format - large V8 on a FWD transmission either end, forced induction on both.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Smallest car you can get away with built on the Hurst Hairy Olds format - large V8 on a FWD transmission either end, forced induction on both.

Haha, that would be pretty loving hilarious to see.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

HotCanadianChick posted:

No. https://rideapart.com/articles/12000-suzuki-hayabusa-outperforms-1-7-million-bugatti-veyron

E: To elaborate, yes, it is technically possible to make a volvo* that is as fast as a fast sportbike. You would also be putting about $100k into the engine alone.

A 1350 HP Nismo GT-R can just barely catch a Ninja H2R at the end of a 1/2 (not 1/4) mile run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpM0fnW0vg

Some goon posting on something awful dot com is not going to be building something anywhere close to as fast or powerful as a 1300+ HP AWD drag car as his zany fun times project. He'll have fun with the project and I'm sure it'll give us a great project thread to read and will be hugely entertaining for him to drive, but it never hurts to temper expectations with reality.

* I swear to god goons have such a tremendously unhealthy love for goddamn turbobricks. Yes you can make them fast-ish for cheap, but dear baby jesus they are not smoking hot performance cars stop acting like they're hot goddamn poo poo, you're just as bad as Honda fanboys thinking a Civic is the best performance car ever.

VvvvvvvV FWD V8 is the most hilarious thing ever and is clearly the best (funniest) option

Lol did a 240 steal your icecream when you were a child or something.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

That Volvo I posted is nowhere near $100k. More like $20-30k. Here's another Volvo wagon. This time FWD, street car and runs 199 mph on a dusty airfield standing mile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS_-ij28QVc

Veyron SS beats Hayabusa to 0-186 mph by 3.5 s and I bet much more 100-186 mph. There are quite few modified cars out there with more/similar power and less weight. Things like turbo Vipers and Vettes are not that rare and they will run with sportsbikes. It is much easier to get >1000 hp from a Vette than a Volvo.

IIRC jonathan has previously had a blue supercharged C5 Vette with a lot of hp and some other very powerful cars? Or do I mix him with someone else on these forum?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Some goon posting on something awful dot com is not going to be building something anywhere close to as fast or powerful as a 1300+ HP AWD drag car as his zany fun times project.
Why?

No, really, why? We have people here who can afford to do that, and we have people who have the skills. I see no reason why a goon with the inclination to do it couldn't have a shot.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ohnonono, read what I put again. Dual-V8 AWD monster.

Hell, you could do the same thing using Doogle's Civic as a template, put the same powertrain in the back, and you'd have an 1100bhp, 1-ton AWD car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DoLittle posted:

Veyron SS beats Hayabusa to 0-186 mph by 3.5 s and I bet much more 100-186 mph. There are quite few modified cars out there with more/similar power and less weight. Things like turbo Vipers and Vettes are not that rare and they will run with sportsbikes. It is much easier to get >1000 hp from a Vette than a Volvo.
Hayabusas are old and slow compared to a modern liter bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zj2h-3AeiM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Hayabusas are old and slow compared to a modern liter bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zj2h-3AeiM

Yeah, looking at the results a stock Hayabusa does ~295 km/h on a standing mile and a (almost) stock BMW S1000RR ~305 km/h. For example the above Volvos can still quite well run with them.

• Locked thread