Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

:siren:ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE IN #Circadia ON SYNIRC!:siren:

Everyone knows that keeping a goon in a TG game is like herding cats. Cats that pay attention for like six weeks and then wander off. Really attentive cats I guess. For cats, that is.

Point is, I have even less attention span than my players, as literally anyone who has ever played in a game I ran can attest. Know how we alleviate that though? Just make the games only six weeks long! I mean, you know, give or take. Calendars are hard. We all have commitments and/or crippling social anxiety to deal with that keeps us from dedicating the truly sad amount of time we would like to our hobbies. Or we really only want to elfgame when we're off our tits. For the busy goon on the go that has to schedule precious D&D time between their minimum-wage education job and smoking copious amounts of marijuana and falling asleep on the couch, I present to you:

TALES OF IRON: SHORT CAMPAIGNS FOR ADVENTURERS SECURE IN THEIR SEXUALITY WITH NOTHING TO PROVE

By which I mean I want to run a series of intentionally-brief adventures in various settings and systems that are focused on being fast-paced and concise, with a concrete goal in mind. There will be a princess to save, an official to assassinate, a Dark Lord to battle, whatever. And that's it. No raising money to fund and run a fortress, no doing favors before Shady Larry will just tell you who the loving rat is, no sidequests to raise money to buy an extra +3 shortsword before storming the castle. There will be a beginning, a middle, and an end.

However, as such, the settings will not be well-established beforehand. You won't have to worry about studying up on a world's pantheon while you roll up a cleric, or thumbing through a terribly spergy backstory wiki. The world is yours to write. At the start of each game I'll give you a brief prompt for the upcoming campaign, and anything not explicitly mentioned there is yours to fill in. Just make poo poo up and we'll roll with it.

Feel free to have blank parts of your character bio where specifics can be added in later if you don't feel like making something up now.

So, without further ado, let me introduce the first game:

A CALLE TO ADVENTURERES

A member of the royal family has been kidnapped! King Comrinn has posted a sizable bounty to the person or persons willing to risk their person on behalf of the royal family.

Report to Greymarch Keep in Jand for details.

~Sulician Clerksonne, Clerk to King Comrinn of Jand

That's it, that's all you get! Who you are, who's missing, what brings you here, and anything else is up to you! The system is FAE, regular character creation rules. You know the drill by now, post your proposed character, lemme know if you have any questions, etc.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Interest post. I've got a busy Sunday ahead of me, but once that's been cleared away I should be able to come up with something.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Posting interest. I can finally use some of those medieval character pictures I have saved up!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Sure why not, I want to play a fate game from start to finish. Even if it's short.

EDIT: Out of interest, how silly can I go?

quote:

Name: Wendel Poons
High Concept: Chosen of Shoshun-Kaaga, God of Cooking.
Paladins by trade, chefs by craft, and both by nature, the Cooking God's Paladins smite evil as good as any other Paladin, with the added bonus of being able to do part time work in soup kitchens and taverns when the questing and evil smiting runs low. The Culinary Knights take their craft, and their evil smiting very seriously, and Wendel Poons is in line to become the next knight to enter the inner circle of Iron Chefs, both for being an excellent cook, and a mean hand with cleaver and tenderizer against evil.
Trouble: Binding Oath of the Hunting Knight
The Hunting Knight's of Shoshun-Kaaga specialize in dishes prepared from fierce monsters, and is probably one of the highest mortality rates amongst the order. Most likely because it is considered an undying shame to run from combat against something that is 'good eating' even if the 'good eating' will most likely be of the Knight, rather then the Monster

Aspects

1. A Half-Pint Powerhouse
Halflings are reputably stout folk, Paladins have a reputation for being tough as nails and Cooks are a normally hardy bunch. Together, Wendel is tough cubed
2. "I can make something of this"
"Leftovers pease pudding, some pastry scraps and a deer we hit with the cart? Yeah I could probably cook something from it."
3. 66 Ways to Skin a Fel-Cat
Wendel has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of many dangerous animals, of both native nastiness and outside of reality horror varieties. And most of that knowledge is based around the 'How to kill it' and 'How to prepare it' end of the spectrum

Approaches

Careful - +2
Clever - +1
Flashy - +3
Forceful - +2
Quick - +1
Sneaky - +0

Stunts

-Because I have Gordo Ramsi's Blessed Culinary Apparatus, I get +2 when I flashily attack to prepare a monster to eat, when it's not quite dead yet.

-Because I have a Cast Iron Constitution, I get +2 when I forcefully defend against poisons, disease or uncooperative food.

-Because I am A Chef of Exotic Delicacies, once per game session*, I can prepare a meal that provides a temporary bonus to any who consume it.

Stress: [][][]

Consequences
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Refresh: 3

*How would a 'game session' work for a game that is mostly going on constantly?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 6, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Expressing interest, will have character up later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Name: Traja Greysteel
High Concept: Glory-Seeking Warrior
Trouble When All You Have Is A Hammer...
Aspect: Poor People Skills
Aspect:
Aspect:

Approaches
Careful: +1
Clever: +1
Flashy: +2
Forceful: +3
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +0

Stunts
Big Fuckoff Greathammer - Because I have a huge two-handed hammer, I get +2 when I Forcefully Attack when I have space to really swing it around.

Juggernaut - Because I'm huge and strong, I get +2 when I Forcefully Overcome physical obstacles.

TBD

Stress: [] [] []

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Totally forgot yesterday was the fourth :toot:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

quote:

Name: Bianca Renee Arroyo Cardoza
High Concept: Noblewoman Bounty Hunter
Trouble: Unhappy Family

Aspects

1. Big Book O' Crimes ("I know where his type tends to gather, it's in the book.")
2. Noblesse Obli-pay ("I expect full compensation for my efforts. And I do mean full.")
3. Rules of Engagement ("Murder is no excuse for bad manners.")

Approaches

Careful +1
Clever +2
Flashy +3
Forceful +0
Quick +2
Sneaky +1

Stunts

You do know my family, right? - Because I come from a landed family, I get +2 when I Cleverly create advantages in conversation with someone.

Vamo'alla Flamenco! - Because I'm learned in the arts of dance, I get +2 when I Flashily defend when someone is attacking me in close quarters.

Deep pockets. - Because of my wealth and big pants, once per game session I can reach in and pull out something situationally useful.

Stress: [ ][ ][ ]

Consequences
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

I'll fill in backstory in a bit.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Going to think of a character while I pack my apartment up.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
:allears:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I've never actually gotten to do a Fate game for one reason or another, so I'm down.

quote:

Name: Gwendolyn Richmond
High Concept: Royal maid and bodyguard
Trouble: Lost her on my watch!

Aspects

1. The difference between maids and assassins? No house calls.
2. Fly on the wall
3. Yes ma'am!

Approaches
Careful +1
Clever +2
Flashy +0
Forceful +1
Quick +2
Sneaky +3

Stunts
Let's clean house. Gwen can try to gain advantage by surprising opponents by using mundane items, such as brooms or mops, as weapons, gaining +2 to forceful when doing so.

Yes, mi'lady! Trained devotion and duty empowers Gwen when Mi'lady is nearby and, usually, in peril. She gains a +2 in overcoming actions that would directly help mi'lady.

Catch every cup in the china cabinet. +2 to Quick or Sneaky when trying to catch or otherwise hide a falling/displaced object. Don't create a disturbance or leave a mess or the boss will be mad!

Consequences
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Some indentured servants don't get second chances. A literal lifetime trained to the devotion of your "betters" can be snuffed out in an instant be some malicious entity, even if they don't harm you yourself. After all, if you fail your royal charge - who will want you? Their family will seek to punish someone, you among them. Failure was not acceptable and your life was for their glory. Servants that were expected to fight got it especially worse; it was a given that you would be sent to take the axe destined for your charge's head without a moment of hesitation.

Years of growing up beside Mi'lady, being both her friend and self-sacrificing caretaker, was nearly torn apart in an instant. A fight erupted outside the carriage, shouting men and clashing blades. Naturally Gwen burst from Mi'lady's side, a weapon drawn from her multi-use apron, ready to defend her! It's not she could do anything about the kidnapping, not when the carriage's axle was ripped away and it rolled to the side, bouncing its occupants out cold. Gwen had been woefully loyal and oddly reliable up onto that point.

Of course, the king would still cut off her head if she even so much of a fuss about going to rescue her. Not that she would, but some modest slack would have been nice!

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 10, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'll put my character here tomorrow. I'm going to port over a sneakthief-with-a-heart-of-gold type dude from Fuego's sadly dead game.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Still working out exactly how we'll do it, but I'm on the hook to co-DM this so there's now some redundant safety in making it actually happen.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Cullen has lived on his own for about as long as he can remember. His close family was taken from him early on by plague, which swept through the coastal towns one summer, including his own home of Fisher's Landing. He only survived by his own luck, although he bears some scars of the disease, usually concealed under his clothing.

He left Fisher's Landing with the surviving refugees, his black sheep of an uncle among them. The group traveled from city to city, trading service or craft for their daily meals. If things went missing during their stay, well, people usually didn't miss it, and if they did, Cullen was long gone with the rest of the group. During their travels he learned how to use a knife and how to survive, and most importantly how to make himself scarce when things went bad. Cullen gained a reputation for wriggling out of the worst of situations, although some started to wonder if he was cursed or just incredibly unlucky.

Cullen usually travels on his own. It's safer, he feels. Easier to stay mobile, easier to hide. That there's fewer people to get in the way if some rich noble or pompous oaf offers a fat purse is an added benefit, of course. And, if he happens to come across someone in need, he doesn't need to ask anyone if they mind giving help either. He knows what its like to be hungry and lost. Not everyone does.

quote:

Name: Cullen "the Stoat"
High Concept Thief with a Heart of Fool's Gold
Trouble: Hard Luck Chuck

Aspects:
1. They'll never even miss it! (Oh, as if the shopkeep will notice a single pie's gone")
2. An Honest Face, a Liar's Tongue ("Excuse me, sir, but I'm looking for my uncle's house. It's supposed to be the biggest around?")
3. Straight to the Family Jewels ("I'd feel bad about that, but you'd do the same to me")

Approaches

Careful +1
Clever +2
Flashy +1
Forceful +0
Quick +2
Sneaky +3

Stunts

Bad Things Happen (To Other People): When Cullen defends against an attack with style, he can forgo taking a boost to instead place a fragile complication with a free invoke on a nearby enemy.

Stunt 2

Stunt 3

Consequences
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Severe (6):

Background stuff and some stunts to come later.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 7, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Roy Bigby

High Concept: Prototype Muscle Wizard
Roy's family are descendants of Baxter Bigby, creator of the famous line of hand spells. In more recent years the Bigbys have begun developing a type of touch spell that requires no incantations or material components. As part of this research Roy was subjected to experimentation that has rendered him impossibly swole.

Trouble: Bro Do You Even Cast
While Bigby is a powerful combatant, he is still a mage, and all of his spells require contact with the target. Similarly, his artificially enhanced muscles can be rendered inert by anti-magic effects, reducing him to a 98-pound weakling.

Approaches
Careful +1
Clever +2
Flashy +2
Forceful +3
Quick +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts
I Cast Fist: +2 to Forceful Create Advantage actions by casting a touch spell.
Muscles Like This?: +2 to Flashy Overcome actions where sheer muscle mass is a factor.
Dhalsim's Curious Extension: Once per session, manipulate or cast a spell on something that would otherwise be out of reach.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 7, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sanka, ya dead?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hey duders! Sorry for the delay, there's a family reunion on at the moment that kind of snuck up on me. There's been a lot of really incredible submissions so far, so let's leave submissions open for now, plus I'd like to give folks a chance to finish up their half-finished sheets.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

That's cool. I'm moving this weekend so my time is limited.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I swear you all haven't been forgotten! I should be internet-ready again here within the next three days. Sorry for the delay!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

So, it turns out if you're a substitute teacher unemployed for the summer, it's hard to turn down offers of free hospitality and extend your vacation :ohdear:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Holy hell, that took forever. Alright folks, I'm back! Who's still in?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Imma clean your clock, sir.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I am still standing by

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

:toot:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Sorry. I don't think I am feeling it anymore.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah this summer has been significantly more stressful than I initially anticipated, and since things are only going to get busier as the school year starts, I suppose I better call it. At least until things settle down. :sigh:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
If it helps, this is not the first time a game has died before recruitment even closes. It's at least the second.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Do you mean me or SA in general? Because I count at least 3 of my games that have died in recruitment :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think it counts under the six week limitation so it works

• Locked thread