Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Since a number of posts in the Falling Skies hatewatching thread were dedicated to The Last Ship, I figured I'd get a thread going for season 2, since there currently isn't one.

If anyone else wants to add to this OP, message me and I'll update it.
Plot Synopsis from IMDB:

quote:

Naval Destroyer Nathan James is sent on what they're told is a research mission in the Arctic. Accompanying them is scientist, Rachel Scott. After a few months in the Arctic while Scott is on the ice doing research, some men attack them. They get back to the ship and the Commander, Tom Chandler asks the doctor what's going on. She says that a deadly disease broke out a few months ago. At first, they thought it was contained but they had no cure. They felt that the cure was in the Arctic which why she's here. But she has since received word that it has now spread to most of the globe. Chandler tries to call the President but learns the President and Vice President are dead and the US government might not have long to survive. The current President tells him that the Nathan James was not in the hot zone so he and his crew are OK. But now it's up to them to safeguard Scott because she holds the key to the planet's survival. But there are those who want the cure too and they will do whatever they have to, to get it. So they keep going and trying to find supplies and what they need so Scott can make the cure.

Episode 5 "Solace" Airs Sunday, July 5th, 2015.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm glad someone finally made a thread. This show is still terrible, but drat it, I love watching it.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Octy posted:

I'm glad someone finally made a thread. This show is still terrible, but drat it, I love watching it.

It's the TV equivalent of drinking an ice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day, trashy but immensely enjoyable in the moment.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This latest episode has an 'Australian' in it with an accent that doesn't exist outside TV.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
Permission to salute the captain?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I personally approve of the show finally getting its requisite hot Israeli badass soldier chick.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I watch Falling Skies because I hate it, and because I hate myself, but Last Ship is more of a guilty pleasure. I was really disappointed when I looked like the villains might be religion idiots, but there's a glimmer of hope that they're more than just religious idiots now. They might just turn out to be religious idiots with a submarine though.

Where exactly did the two new crew members come from again? Norfolk?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Well i suck and didn't notice this thread was up, so re posting.

Watching the adds for TNT's the First ship I was so hyped to watch the show. I sit down to watch it and noticed WTF this is the start of season two. I really loved the season premier and weeks show after that. TNT right now doesn't have season one on demand, am I missing anything real important to enjoy the current season? Anyone know where I can watch season one?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I unapologetically enjoy the hell out of this show and it takes me to a happy place. I won't argue that it's good or bad, just keep bringing it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope "The Boss" on the submarine turns out to be Big Boss, and the rest of the season is La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo intrigue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Octy posted:

This latest episode has an 'Australian' in it with an accent that doesn't exist outside TV.

FYI, he is actually Australian.

Also I love that his character's name is Wolf.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Man I thought that the first couple of episodes of the first season were pretty good (I liked the way the state of the world was gradually revealed) and the rest of the season was decent until the last episode where it teleported off of the rails to the moon. I'm kind of glad they resolved that storyline quickly and I'm curious to see where it goes after the last week's episode.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I like when they used the 20mm? cannon to wreck that guy coming through the hatch.

Then they throw smoke in the only path they can run, then they run. Why didn't the cannon just shoot? I mean they had no other route.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Because there were friendlies like right behind them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:
:patriot: FULL FORCE OF THE US NAVY* :patriot:
:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

* - may be limited to a single half-manned Destroyer. YMMV.

This show is so stupidly over the top with it's jingoism, and it just gets more ridiculous as it goes on. Baldwin's character has spent the last 4 episodes watching things happen on TV/radio and just yelled "GO ON!" "GET IN!" or "BOOM!" and it's amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wow, I that was a much better episode. Euro fascists with natural immunity are way, way more interesting than redneck zealot fuckwits who were lucky enough to outlast the plague. And the ship remembered it has missiles, and torpedoes.

I'm not super well versed in naval warfare, but I thought destroyers were best at tracking subs, while cruisers and carriers and (formerly) battleships were more vulnerable to them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not super well versed in naval warfare, but I thought destroyers were best at tracking subs, while cruisers and carriers and (formerly) battleships were more vulnerable to them.

Destroyers were originally small fast ships with light guns to fight enemy torpedo boats the big guns could not hit. Then someone realized they could just stick torpedoes on the destroyers and do away with torpedo boats.
These days the Navy calls ships as large as a WW2 heavy cruiser a destroyer to fool Congress.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Only just finished episode 3 but drat if this show isn't :911: as gently caress and gets me pumped up despite the fact I'm :canada:

Also lol what the hell is with the religious nut storyline they're gonna be doing? I mean sure yeah, I expected a cult of immune people but are they seriously expecting to ambush anything more than an away team much less a bunch of bumfuck hicks take over a Navy destroyer?

btw the best part of the show is the supporting cast who are the crew that isn't the CO/XO who are immensely fun to watch. and Tex.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

To be fair last season the maryland highway patrol and rent-a-cops took over the ship.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sober posted:

Only just finished episode 3 but drat if this show isn't :911: as gently caress and gets me pumped up despite the fact I'm :canada:

Also lol what the hell is with the religious nut storyline they're gonna be doing? I mean sure yeah, I expected a cult of immune people but are they seriously expecting to ambush anything more than an away team much less a bunch of bumfuck hicks take over a Navy destroyer?

btw the best part of the show is the supporting cast who are the crew that isn't the CO/XO who are immensely fun to watch. and Tex.

Yeah as a Canadian the jingoism doesn't bother me because it isn't even that intense; it even pumps me up a little. Though I'm someone who really enjoyed the President's speech in Independence Day so maybe I'm not the right one to ask. Also as a Canadian the Tim Hortons product placement throughout the series makes me smile.

Don't worry, the cult storyline is actually going somewhere aside from weird inbred hicks and I'm looking forward to seeing it to its conclusion. Aside from the Baltimore storyline (which thankfully only took up like 3 episodes) I'm really enjoying the series.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Caught up and drat that is definitely some escalation. Crazy immune Europeans in a nuclear sub seems just crazy enough.

I've only ever maybe watched 2 sub movies so I don't know exactly if that was any good but drat if they did a good job of making it pretty tense to watch.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Sober posted:

Caught up and drat that is definitely some escalation. Crazy immune Europeans in a nuclear sub seems just crazy enough.

I've only ever maybe watched 2 sub movies so I don't know exactly if that was any good but drat if they did a good job of making it pretty tense to watch.

Seriously.

I don't know if I would call this show legitimately -good-, but it's fun super-patriotism popcorn watching, and the sub episode was legitimately pretty tense and fun to watch.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OmniBeer posted:

Seriously.

I don't know if I would call this show legitimately -good-, but it's fun super-patriotism popcorn watching, and the sub episode was legitimately pretty tense and fun to watch.

It doesn't need to be "good" for klaxons, people yelling FLANK SPEED and torpedoes in the water to be awesome.
Also this episode they finally remembered the Arleigh Burke class are guided missile destroyers, so if they have any SFX budget to work with I think the rest of the season should be some good naval fun times. It's payload includes missile delivery of torpedoes which is awesome and should be used instead of those on-deck launchers.

It was a bit jarring that they made deliberate and specific mentions of spearfish, but then it wasn't used for some reason, or was used and put onscreen in a rather inaccurate way. The WWII era 'phew, missed by a couple of feet!' is a bit silly, because in reality they're 150km/h homing torpedoes designed to miss and explode in very close proximity and split the hull open. The chance of them missing is nigh on impossible without countermeasures, and even if it did miss, the drat things will lap around, turn and reacquire automatically. (decoys needed, not just steering a little)
There could have been a neat ~~command moment~~ when Chandler gets the countermeasures exactly right and saves the day, perfectly mirroring Slatterly's confidence in him earlier in the episode. Would have been tight poo poo man.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If you see the show as basically Andromeda or Star Trek, with Chandler as Captain Kirk and they visit a new planet every week as they try to restore The Federation/Commonwealth and meet crazy weird people and societies you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

For an American rah-rah-rah show, American Exceptionalism just got planted on it's rear end.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Really disappointed nobody yelled "I AM COMMANDEERING THIS AIRBOAT!" on last night's episode.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ninurta posted:

For an American rah-rah-rah show, American Exceptionalism just got planted on it's rear end.
I guess all the crazy rednecks died out

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The action on this show is really well paced and filmed for a show on TNT.

I mean the plots are still TNT-level (burning bodies to power a city) but for a shooty bang bang show it's quite good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The whole lying to people and murdering them was no good, but really, if there's a virus with a 95% mortality rate, having a means of body disposal is actually a pretty good idea. I doubt they'd make a good fuel source though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Iowa Snow King posted:

The action on this show is really well paced and filmed for a show on TNT.

I mean the plots are still TNT-level (burning bodies to power a city) but for a shooty bang bang show it's quite good.

The action is well paced for a show on any network.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

The whole lying to people and murdering them was no good, but really, if there's a virus with a 95% mortality rate, having a means of body disposal is actually a pretty good idea. I doubt they'd make a good fuel source though.

As depicted, the process was similar to cremation, which doesn't produce any energy at all; burning off all the water and combusting that which doesn't freely burn uses more energy than you can gain.
However they were perhaps hinting at something less PG, and were skinning people and burning the fat. Human fat is pretty similar to pig fat, and you don't need to have made a lot of bacon to know it is dangerous if left on the heat too long.
It's touted as an all-in-one evil solution though, which implies the cremation angle, so it's probably just bad science.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
They're moving this storyline with the 'president' in some unexpected directions.

"Look at him, he's being held against his will"
"Nah, he's just an rear end in a top hat bad with crowds"
"Welcome aboard Mr. President, let me show you your place in the brig"

The sub/ship scene was a bit dumb with suddenly the NJ being unable to launch the helo for tension reasons but the kitchen fight was great. Good to see Israeli girl not doing some krav maga poo poo but just stabbing with the cutlery at hand.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The kitchen scene was weird. It was a mix of some terrible cuts mixed in with some really cool action, like death by forks. I also approve of the use of a meat tenderizer and a frying pan as weapons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I feel like we missed a scene between their arrival back on the ship and putting President Duck Phillips in the brig where he started ranting about how none of these people were "Chosen."

You'd think he would have given up on the whole True Believer philosophy when he saw a fully functional naval ship with Non Immunes who were cured.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
this show is loving terrible but I can't stop watching it

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I tender this as my review for the episode:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

duke nukem sure looks angry

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

CeeJee posted:

Good to see Israeli girl not doing some krav maga poo poo but just stabbing with the cutlery at hand.
Isn't that what krav maga is?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Khablam posted:

I tender this as my review for the episode:

If there's a season 3, this picture better be in the OP for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Anyone notice that one of the boxes they were bringing inside was a case of BAWLS?

• Locked thread