Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
So, we've been working on a Nightwing fan film here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Some of you, (or none of you) may have watched the Nightwing: Prodigal series on Youtube that consisted of 4 episodes. Shot on an extremely low budget, they did alright and made a couple comic-cons. I was brought on for a new additional short film, Nightwing: The Darkest Knight where I've been working my damnest to take it from a CW style of a project to a more cinematic HBO style short film. While I'm new to this universe, we've put a lot of time into making sure we respect Nightwing and the lore of the comics, including a fair amount of characters and easter eggs into the project as we follow Nightwing on a quest for vengeance, unlike any Nightwing you've seen before.

I'm the director and an exec producer on the film, originally coming on to direct but realizing how small the budget was decided to put money into it to bring it up to a quality level fans could appreciated. I'm an indie film maker who loves directing on the side when I'm not working on feature films such as Star Trek 3, Warcraft, Godzilla, or Arrow (TV). Here's my IMDB so at least you can see a bit of what I've worked on.

Obviously, with any fan project, we can't please everyone. We have a larger budget for this, and have tried to step away from the cheese often associated with fan films. As it is a fan project, no one gets paid and it's completely done by a volunteer crew. I definitely welcome your critique and questions, we have poured a lot of energy into our first 3 days but we know we can't please everyone. We have a lot of twists and surprises coming, as we still have 3 more days of shooting to do in August depending on our stunt teams availabilitiy.

Feel free to check us out on TWITTER or FACEBOOK, we could use any support from fans we can get! There's a Kickstarter link on the video if you feel like supporting us, but that's not what this thread is about.

Without further due, here's the TEASER. Please reply with questions, feedback or hate! It was slightly rushed due to some time constraints in getting it out onto the net.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYu4pNEY3v8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Too good for the self promo thread, ehh?

Still sub-CW, sorry.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 5, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"Hey guys we're trying to make this not like every other fan film. This is the real deal."

*Is like every fan film ever*

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

The audio (dialog) was terrible. Grade-A for amateur. The stunt/action montage for the last 20 seconds or so actually looked pretty good. Granted, it looks like a mediocre Daredevil ripoff, but, eh, if the audio was better you might have something.

Can you fix the audio? Whoever did the audio is really loving it up for everyone else involved. And whoever decided to include Harley Quinn. It's an impossible sell for a low budget movie. I actually cringed when she showed up in the trailer. If you fan movie people stopped biting off more than you can chew, you would probably make some decent stuff.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 5, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Your fan film looks bad and your probably shouldn't make anything else.

Also yeah, we have a "self promotion thread" for a reason.

Actually, I'd rather not close this. I'd love to hear how you could possibly think this looks better and "more HBO" than any other fan film.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 6, 2015

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Your fan film looks bad and your probably shouldn't make anything else.

Also yeah, we have a "self promotion thread" for a reason.

Actually, I'd rather not close this. I'd love to hear how you could possibly think this looks better and "more HBO" than any other fan film.
I was actually referring to the previous web-series they shot, that was sub-CW production value wise. Obviously were striving closer to a gritty HBO style production than the previous efforts by this team is all we are saying, we're not talking about other fan films. Sorry for the confusion.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

The audio (dialog) was terrible. Grade-A for amateur. The stunt/action montage for the last 20 seconds or so actually looked pretty good. Granted, it looks like a mediocre Daredevil ripoff, but, eh, if the audio was better you might have something.

Can you fix the audio? Whoever did the audio is really loving it up for everyone else involved. And whoever decided to include Harley Quinn. It's an impossible sell for a low budget movie. I actually cringed when she showed up in the trailer. If you fan movie people stopped biting off more than you can chew, you would probably make some decent stuff.
Those opening shots talking about a serum actually had stripclub music from downstairs playing in the background, so I'm surprised our editor got what she did out of it before it hits our post production sound guy. We didn't have time to tweak the audio much for our teaser unfortunately, we were a bit rushed due to our editor leaving the country. We've got a lot more time to spend on the final product and our official trailer. Appreciate the feedback!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's inaccurate to call it a 'teaser', since it doesn't really 'tease' as much as it 'creates an immediate sense of revulsion, followed by vicarious embarrassment'.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
$3,247 huh?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This is a website where people spend much more than that on imaginary virtual spaceships in a game that will never come out.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's inaccurate to call it a 'teaser', since it doesn't really 'tease' as much as it 'creates an immediate sense of revulsion, followed by vicarious embarrassment'.

Harsh but fair.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I don't like to hate on fan projects and volunteer efforts, but Nightwing isn't "the Darkest Knight" and he isn't Daredevil. The reason he butts heads with Bruce and eventually became Nightwing in the first place is that at his core, he's a person who got over his loss and is inherently an optimist who is capable of being happy, while Bruce is not capable of those things.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The acting in your fan fiction movie is bad

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I just checked what a Greensman is and I could not have been more off.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If anything, it gave me nostalgia for Grayson and Worlds Finest(?)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FeastForCows posted:

I just checked what a Greensman is and I could not have been more off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Terrible Horse posted:

I don't like to hate on fan projects and volunteer efforts, but Nightwing isn't "the Darkest Knight" and he isn't Daredevil. The reason he butts heads with Bruce and eventually became Nightwing in the first place is that at his core, he's a person who got over his loss and is inherently an optimist who is capable of being happy, while Bruce is not capable of those things.

Yeah, the entire concept here is flawed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So is this an unofficial sequel to that Martin Lawrence medieval film?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

So is this an unofficial sequel to that Martin Lawrence medieval film?

You're thinking of Black Knight II: Moor Money, Moor Problems.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How much money does a greensman make?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Harley Quinn screech made me stop the video, the audio is atrocious. I'm more disappointed in finding out that a greensman is not what I thought it was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There was a guy at the film school I went to who kept making and showing everyone Batman fan films he made. He got kicked out of the directing program because they wouldn't let him make one of them for his final project, and also because he was so terrible on set that literally no one would work with him.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheJoker138 posted:

There was a guy at the film school I went to who kept making and showing everyone Batman fan films he made. He got kicked out of the directing program because they wouldn't let him make one of them for his final project, and also because he was so terrible on set that literally no one would work with him.

Was his name Matthew Campbell?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Was his name Matthew Campbell?

I doubt this dude could even get a single job as a greensman, let alone become a master greensman like Mr. Campbell.

He did cast the pudgiest Batman I've ever seen, though.

E: I couldn't find his youtube, but I was able to find one amazing still shot from one of his films-

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 6, 2015

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Totally thought a greensman would be someone who did green screen effects. Grats on your ability to be able to water houseplants, I guess

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This needs more of Tom Hardy's breast milk in it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Terrible Horse posted:

It's funny that as much as the Nolan film's are labeled as being dark, The Dark Knight Rises nails that Robin--usually--is a much more hopeful entity than Batman. The film looks lovely, but it doesn't look particularly fun with Nightwing apparently drowning Harley Quinn to get information out of her.

Your fan film either needs to seem fun like the ones those lovely cosplayers make or be loving insane like Grayson or Dead End.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Your fan film either needs to seem fun like the ones those lovely cosplayers make or be loving insane like Grayson or Dead End.

Which one is the one where the random goon captures Batman, drugs him, sodomizes him and then Batman kills himself on a riverbank?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Timby posted:

Which one is the one where the random goon captures Batman, drugs him, sodomizes him and then Batman kills himself on a riverbank?

That was so hilariously bad. It was full of monologues that the writer obviously thought was clever. Just a dreadful enterprise, much like the one the OP made.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean the fight choreography looks pretty good for an amateur production by why not make something that isn't fan fiction and you could actually potentially sell?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Death of the Batman. I didn't mention that because there is absolutely nothing redeeming that piece of poo poo. I'm sure the OP had fun and good intentions when he made this movie. And as people have mentioned, there is competent stage fighting and the guy playing Dick looks okay with the audio making it hard to judge if he knows how to deliver a line.

If anyone wants to watch Death of the Batman, just read this instead.

I really do love Batman: Dead End though, but it's also less of a fan film and more of a fun way to demonstrate being pretty competent with practical effects.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

StuntKid posted:

I've been working my damnest to take it from a CW style of a project to a more cinematic HBO style short film.

Please do not skip a major step like this. Whatever poo poo you can say about CW shows, they're done with a level of professionalism and calculated character likability that this teaser is sorely missing. If someone watches the next movie you make after this one and says "this is like some CW poo poo", thank them sincerely.

Also I would recommend cutting a teaser that plays to your strengths more than this one, e.g. more clearly visible potted plants

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was expecting a lot more rage and hate then I received, so thanks for being gentle. For now. We know how hard it can be when your developing something with an established fanbase. Fans are loyal, passionate people who do not hesitate to poo poo on you if they think your doing something wrong. We know we have a long uphill battle ahead to make this work, but we are confident in the end we will have something that fans will at least appreciate the work, effort, and production value it has, even if the story or some of the character's ruffle their feathers slightly. I know it's going to kick their previous web-series out of the water in terms of entertainment value.

Vegetable posted:

How much money does a greensman make?
Roughly $30 CDN an hour on feature films.

We were looking for $4,000 CDN.

Terrible Horse posted:

Very true, the title is currently misleading in a sense. Appreciate the great character notes.

mercenarynuker posted:

Totally thought a greensman would be someone who did green screen effects. Grats on your ability to be able to water houseplants, I guess
Yep, nailed it. Pretty much a glorified waterer.
Actually it's like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTaUkBPKTK0

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's funny that as much as the Nolan film's are labeled as being dark, The Dark Knight Rises nails that Robin--usually--is a much more hopeful entity than Batman. The film looks lovely, but it doesn't look particularly fun with Nightwing apparently drowning Harley Quinn to get information out of her.

It's definitely more on the insane end. The previous webseries by these guys is definitely more fun. We went dark with this.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean the fight choreography looks pretty good for an amateur production by why not make something that isn't fan fiction and you could actually potentially sell?
We cannot make any money off of this, and if it looks like we are, DC can shut us down. Based off our storyline, they would never approve our concept anyways.

Jenny Angel posted:

Please do not skip a major step like this. Whatever poo poo you can say about CW shows, they're done with a level of professionalism and calculated character likability that this teaser is sorely missing. If someone watches the next movie you make after this one and says "this is like some CW poo poo", thank them sincerely.

Also I would recommend cutting a teaser that plays to your strengths more than this one, e.g. more clearly visible potted plants
If you'd seen the previous series, you'd see why we're trying to leave it in the dust, that's all I mean about the CW comment. They are done with professionalism, and they spend a lot of time behind the scenes figuring out how much shirtless time to give Stephen Amell, how long they should kiss, etc. It's quite amusing.

Our character likeability is not that high in this teaser, if we had more time we could've definitely tweaked it, I never even saw the edit until it was done. Our official trailer, will definitely have more depth.

StuntKid fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 7, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

StuntKid posted:

We cannot make any money off of this, and if it looks like we are, DC can shut us down. Based off our storyline, they would never approve our concept anyways.

Exactly what I was saying. If you'd spent about the same money, time and effort on a original project you might actually be able to make some money of it. It's highly unlikely but at least you wouldn't risk getting sued in to oblivion if you tried to. You could probably even keep the story basically the same and just switch out the names and maybe have him be a cop instead of a superhero or something and just make a film that allows you to have dudes fight and waterboard Juggalo girls without involving any spandex and masks. Of course the major downside to this would be that you couldn't rely on there being a already established fanbase for the characters that could make up the core audience for the film. But I get the feeling that a original film would look better on your reel than a fan film.

But then again it might not. I have no idea, the closest ties I have to the film industry, aside from being a amputee nazi zombie once, is that my dad was a security guard for Enemy Mine in 1984. So I might be totally full of poo poo.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2015

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Exactly what I was saying. If you'd spent about the same money, time and effort on a original project you might actually be able to make some money of it. It's highly unlikely but at least you wouldn't risk getting sued in to oblivion if you tried to. You could probably even keep the story basically the same and just switch out the names and maybe have him be a cop instead of a superhero or something and just make a film that allows you to have dudes fight and waterboard Juggalo girls without involving any spandex and masks. Of course the major downside to this would be that you couldn't rely on there being a already established fanbase for the characters that could make up the core audience for the film. But I get the feeling that a original film would look better on your reel than a fan film.

But then again it might not. I have no idea, the closest ties I have to the film industry, aside from being a amputee nazi zombie once, is that my dad was a security guard for Enemy Mine in 1984. So I might be totally full of poo poo.
It's a great point. The thing is I've done this exact thing, shooting around 1 original project a year, dumping pretty much all of my money into. It's gotten me a pretty solid sizzle demo reel (https://www.mattboxmediainc.com), and my first project won an award and did the film festival circuit, but that didn't translate to being successful so well.

My latest project before this was for a feature film trailer concept of mine with one of the Flash actors, and it's got a lot of potential, it sounds like it will get made, so that original idea could definitely come to fruition (teaser trailer here: http://www.cinecoup.com/the-wounded/trailer)

But the truth is that even with a good short film, sometimes it becomes about the amount of eyes on the project that matters to your career, which is why I've come on board to do something with an established fanbase, plus I love comic book and video game movies, so it became a no-brainer to do something non-profitable but fun that mostly everyone can enjoy (apparently just not fans). Plus watching their previous series, I cringed a lot, I really wanted to help them establish a better reputation for their fan film series.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nobody in the world is a vocal Nightwing fan.

People do not care about the characters - the fidelity to the originals or whatever. They are criticizing your film because it's ugly. Once the shock wears off, they then note that you don't even have an interesting premise.

The fundamental problem is that 'HBO' isn't a style. It's a channel. What you are referring to is a target audience (HBO viewers who read comic books) and/or level of production value (vaguely not-cheap). That puts the cart way before the horse when your shots aren't even lit or framed properly.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody in the world is a vocal Nightwing fan.

People do not care about the characters - the fidelity to the originals or whatever. They are criticizing your film because it's ugly. Once the shock wears off, they then note that you don't even have an interesting premise.

The fundamental problem is that 'HBO' isn't a style. It's a channel. What you are referring to is a target audience (HBO viewers who read comic books) and/or level of production value (vaguely not-cheap). That puts the cart way before the horse when your shots aren't even lit or framed properly.

Sorry to say a lot of people really do care about the fidelity to the originals. You saying otherwise doesn't make it so. If that's the worse frame you can pick, where we lose our actor at the very end of it to show it's not lit or framed properly, your grasping at straws, that is such a minor note that doesn't apply to half the action scenes shot these days. In terms of light, when we color correct our footage there will be a massive difference than what you are seeing in our teaser in terms of visuals.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
I really do like all the feedback, it's kind of on par with what I expected. Let's hope the trailer is less of a dissapointment.

StuntKid fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

StuntKid posted:

Sorry to say a lot of people really do care about the fidelity to the originals. You saying otherwise doesn't make it so. If that's the worse frame you can pick, where we lose our actor at the very end of it to show it's not lit or framed properly, your grasping at straws, that is such a minor note that doesn't apply to half the action scenes shot these days. In terms of light, when we color correct our footage there will be a massive difference than what you are seeing in our teaser in terms of visuals.

While I'm not a fan of your work, you should probably disregard everything SMG says, just as a general rule. His criticism isn't going to actually be constructive from a film making perspective, as he's a hardcore theory guy, not a production guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Except he's right

• Locked thread