Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Temple of Doom was the worst of the original three but it had some of the best sequences and at least had some motherfucking grit to it. You don't see kids having nightmares cuz of Crystal Skull, that's for sure.

The chase on a college campus was the only part of Crystal Skull where I felt alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Lol at the bad film lovers jumping to defend the execrable Holy Grail snoozefest.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm sorry that you can't see how a movie where Sean Connery and Harrison Ford have a cool adventure is better than the worst movie Lucas has ever been associated with.

I don't dispute that The Last Crusade is better than Attack of the Clones, no. Just that it's far less interesting and deserving of praise than its belated follow-up.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Someone in GBS 2.0 is badmouthing a favorite movie of mine? Yes, this is definitely the place to seriously defend its merits. This is the hill I die on.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

crystal skull is objectively better than temple of doom (which is total trash). raiders is perfect, last crusade is pretty good. if you don't agree with me suck my loving dick.

Temple of Doom is the movie where when people make a sequel they think "We could make this more accessible, or we could make it more dark and grizzly" and they pick accessible because of Temple of Doom, not because it's a worse choice, because Temple of Doom is the weakest of the first three movies, but you're wrong about Crystal Skull somehow being better than temple of doom you idiot bitch. Crystal Skull is super bad.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
sorry op+nodickhavers, but its good

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Crystal Skull had the ants that ate people, and that's quite the classic Indiana Jones poo poo, and it also had some pretty okay car chases. The plot was terrible and Shia TheBeef was bad too.

Temple of Doom has embarrassingly blatant racism and takes a serious step back from Raiders in terms of making sense and being interesting. It went from Nazis wanting a holy relic from Christianity to having an Evil Indian God run by the Evil Indians Who Eat Bugs And People who had to be fought by the Good White Man who was asked by the Helpless Innocent Indians Living in Poverty

So really they're about on the same level for me, which is far below Raiders and Last Crusade

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an Indian death and child labor cult as villains and I refuse to hear otherwise

The dinner scene with the snakes was racist/gross though, but smdh if you're so upset about imperialism Indy can't punch the heart-rippers

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sentinel Red posted:

Lol at the bad film lovers jumping to defend the execrable Holy Grail snoozefest.

I don't dispute that The Last Crusade is better than Attack of the Clones, no. Just that it's far less interesting and deserving of praise than its belated follow-up.

you're a human being and a oval office

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raku posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an Indian death and child labor cult as villains and I refuse to hear otherwise

If anything it's the most grounded in reality

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
e: 'eh

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

The dinner scene with the snakes was racist/gross though, but smdh if you're so upset about imperialism Indy can't punch the heart-rippers

It's more the overall feeling of Indiana as some Western explorer in the Orient, using the assumptions of Orientalism to inform the writing of the script

So basically Lucas and Spielberg were just dumb racist babies around that time of the 80s and it shows

I mean the heart-ripping was loving fantastic, it was moreso the casual stuff like an Indian dude tricking the fat, complacent but benevolent British overlord or whatever while wearing Western clothes and then turning into a literal bloodthirsty savage when they're not looking

Eumenides fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Eumenides posted:

So basically Lucas and Spielberg were just dumb racist babies around that time of the 80s and it shows

Lucas never really grew out of that.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Raku posted:

The chase on a college campus was the only part of Crystal Skull where I felt alive.

That was a good sequence.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

burritolingus posted:

That was a good sequence.

The moments of Crystal Skull that were just badass stunt men jumping between cars really made it feel like an Indiana Jones movie, but then it was all garbage instead

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Eumenides posted:

I mean the heart-ripping was loving fantastic, it was moreso the casual stuff like an Indian dude tricking the fat, complacent but benevolent British overlord or whatever while wearing Western clothes and then turning into a literal bloodthirsty savage when they're not looking

this just makes the imperialist overlord look dumb though, which is acceptable and fine

also all societies are bloodthirsty savages

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I'll admit it: I liked Mutt Williams and would watch a Mutt Williams movie.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

genesplicer posted:

Gotta admit, Crystal Skull was kinda weak. I basically pretend they never made that one when I watch the marathon.

Indian Jones is a Trilogy

hth

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

burritolingus posted:

I'll admit it: I liked Mutt Williams and would watch a Mutt Williams movie.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Mutt Williams and the Saucermen from Mars.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Indiana Jones should never have left the house because the Nazis all kill themselves anyway in both Raiders and Last Crusade. Dude has no effect on the narrative. In Temple he frees those kids, but they're all gonna starve to death in their villages.

It's like, just stick to plowing undergrads, dude.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

moose face posted:

It's pure nostalgia. The acting hackneyed. The writing is stilted. The action scenes are poorly choreograohed thro in a decent score and you have a good movie... In the 1980's!

arent you the guy who beat and then dumped your girlfriend + infant daughter to post in GBs and drink, and then your gf got an account and followed you around asking you to please come back to take care of your child, so you left the forums for a while?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
in that case: welcome back.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Didn't you also beat the mother of your child, before you left them both btw? anyhoo, in which case: welcome back.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

In a world where magic is literally real, of immortal crusaders and holy grails, the fridge thing comes off as the most autisic nerd criticism imaginable.

its because culturally we have been told that a nuclear bomb is like the worst thing that could happen and nothing could survive it so seeing someone being so chill after surviving being in the radius of the explosion is extremely jarring.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Minimalist Program posted:

Didn't you also beat the mother of your child, before you left them both btw? anyhoo, in which case: welcome back.

ALLEGEDLY!

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem
Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy movie and i hate Crystal Skull.

So what now? Do we fight about it?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Solemn Lemons posted:

Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy movie and i hate Crystal Skull.

So what now? Do we fight about it?

No dude it's cool you can like whatever you want. You could even like both equally if you wanted. Or hate both of them with the kind of passion usually reserved for the man that fed your dog snail pellets because she was scared of possums and barked at them.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

babypolis posted:

its because culturally we have been told that a nuclear bomb is like the worst thing that could happen and nothing could survive it so seeing someone being so chill after surviving being in the radius of the explosion is extremely jarring.

It's not so much the explosion but the flying a kilometer away from the ersatz town.

e: on the other hand, landing on a mountain with an inflatable raft, which while survivable in principle would be difficult in practice

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem
I have a message for ma boy Mola Ram: You betrayed Shiva! Thum Shiva Ke Vishwasth Karthe Ho!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Can we please have a moment's reflection for seven year old me thinking Marion was a hot piece of rear end, before I knew what such a thing was?

Thank you for your time and indulgence in this matter of historical significance

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Halah posted:

Can we please have a moment's reflection for seven year old me thinking Marion was a hot piece of rear end, before I knew what such a thing was?

Thank you for your time and indulgence in this matter of historical significance

:hfive: my friend. Dimple in the chin is always cute. She wielded a mean frying pan also.

She was perfect in Scrooged.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
youre an idiot op

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
In the 80s you could make a movie where Indian food is eyeball soup and people would say "That seems about right."

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Now were a little more educated about Indians and their culture, we'd replace the soup course with a brutal gang rape.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

In a world where magic is literally real, of immortal crusaders and holy grails, the fridge thing comes off as the most autisic nerd criticism imaginable.

no it doesnt dude lol. its the most ridiculous scene in that entire movie because, unlike aliens or whatever which could be real, even a child knows indiana jones should be a shallow pile of red soup in that fridge. anybody who has even an ounce of common sense cant help but be floored by that. what im saying is youre dumb lol

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Now were a little more educated about Indians and their culture, we'd replace the soup course with a brutal gang rape.

And pushing old ladies under the train just so they can get a seat on a NJ Transit train at rush hour on the ride home.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

no it doesnt dude lol. its the most ridiculous scene in that entire movie because, unlike aliens or whatever which could be real, even a child knows indiana jones should be a shallow pile of red soup in that fridge. anybody who has even an ounce of common sense cant help but be floored by that. what im saying is youre dumb lol

Neurotypicals disagree with such sentiments.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
I came up with a good idea for an Indy sequel, but I'm not connected to hollywood insiders so i'll never have a chance to develop my idea

i'm actually dying to talk about it, but i don't want my idea stolen by a hollywood insider

contact me if you want to develop something huskarlmarx at gmail dirt com

huskarl_marx fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 6, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

yo faggots peep this hotness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also last crusade and temple of doom are a lot of fun but raiders is p much perfect

• Locked thread