Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Problem description:
Since around one or two months ago, my PC started to randomly run very slow. It can load fine to desktop and run for many hours then suddenly before the PC would randomly slow down, when playing video, music, games, or even during idle, sometimes the PC can also run very slowly since the Windows loading screen. It can happen at any time. Also, for at least two times already when the slow down occur, I tried to enter Safe Mode right after BIOS but the PC will load those drivers and files thing (which show up on the screen) very slowly and ended up failing to enter Safe Mode.

When the slow down occur the PC doesn't go hang/freeze or BSOD, just that doing very simple task such as opening folder take much longer time. Shutting down PC can take up to 10 minutes to complete, while normally it would be done around half a minute.

Attempted fixes:
At first I thought it was a dying or faulty HDD, some links from Google did point to that direction. But after checking with SeaToolsDrive, HD Sentinel, and Spinrite it seems the HDD is still in healthy condition.

I wonder whether the VGA might be guilty, but I have installed the VGA for a year and there's no slow down problem until 1-2 months ago. I also suspect whether there's something wrong with the motherboard, but it can load and open BIOS menu just fine and no slow down there. The slow down only occurred starting from the Windows loading screen. I ran MemTest86 and the PC seems to have passed the test (I saw Pass : 1 and Errors : 0 status on the screen so I assume there's no problem).

I had open the PC case and clean the dust but the problem persists.

Very recently I run Process Explorer to see if there's any noticeable programs or anything when the slow down occur, but I didn't see any sudden spike in CPU or memory usage or anything out of ordinary.

Recent changes:
I installed ATI Catalyst 15.5 Beta driver which was released supposedly to improve performance.

PC specifications:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS
Gigabyte M55M-D2H motherboard
Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.20 GHz processor
2x4096 MB DDR3 memory
AMD Radeon HIS R7 250 1 GB GDDR5 VGA
WD 1TB HDD

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Please post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP doesn't have anime or ads) window for your system drive.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Here:

Is this bad?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes, your harddrive is failing and will need to be replaced. I suspect the other programs you ran didn't find issues because Seatools is for Seagate drives, HD Sentinel doesn't have correct error thresholds, and SpinRite is scam software that doesn't do anything.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 5, 2015

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Oh well, I didn't realize about that. HD Sentinel did have warning sign next to 'Current Pending Sector Count' upon closer inspection however the software mentioned that the HDD health is still at 94% and there was no need for HDD replacement which made me think it's still okay.

Do you have any recommendation for backing up the contents (or maybe transferring the system) to the new HDD? The current (old) drive still readable and sometimes function properly (at least for know), and I read from Microsoft Answers a recommendation (to someone who also had problem with HDD) to make an "Image Backup" and then restore it to a new drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Section 31 posted:

Do you have any recommendation for backing up the contents (or maybe transferring the system) to the new HDD? The current (old) drive still readable and sometimes function properly (at least for know), and I read from Microsoft Answers a recommendation (to someone who also had problem with HDD) to make an "Image Backup" and then restore it to a new drive.

An image would be recommended if you had a lot of customized software or something (that would take a long time to reinstall) but for the vast majority of users just getting an external HD and backing up important files is recommended.

You could buy another HD and reinstall the OS and then hook up the bad HD to an external enclosure via USB with something like:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-SATA-Cable-Adapter/dp/B001OOXBBG and transfer the file from bad HD to good HD.

Another option would be to use something like:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Ultra-Portable/dp/B00E055H5O/

• Locked thread