Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Creature posted:

Does anyone have a vegan cupcake recipe? One of my clients has a birthday in the office on Monday, and they have asked me to see if I could come up with anything.

I have no idea where it originally came from, as it was just passed from friend to friend, but:

cupcakes posted:

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup coca powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup oil (coconut is good, but it's pretty forgiving - not olive oil, I'd think)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup water

Preheat to 350°F
Mix dry ingredients, add wet, mix it all up
Ladle into papers in the pan, bake for ~25 minutes.

This'll yield somewhere between a dozen and a dozen and a half cupcakes, depending on how full you ladle it. It also works great as a not-cup-cake, put in the proper pan and baked for more like 40-45 minutes. That is in fact how this recipe began its life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Creature posted:

Sorry for the late reply, but these were a huge hit with the vegan that they were made for. Thank you so much for this!

Glad to hear it.

I'm not vegan, but I am lacto vegetarian, so a lot of what I make is vegan or can be easily altered to be so. I'll try to post some good things.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If you buy prepackaged ones, double check that they're vegan, some brands like to put egg in their veggie patties.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Having never had meat, I like faux meats because they're chewy and tasty, and same with tempeh (which I don't really think of as a faux meat, it has a long history). I get a much better reaction from meat folk when I present it as such rather than as a "this is supposed to be like meat" thing. But yeah, it's real nice to be able to alter meaty recipes to be suitable.

Anyway, yesterday I made vegan tempura, more-or-less following this recipe. Though for the sauce, I didn't have ponzu and I forgot to make dashi that morning, so instead I used 50/50 stock-from-a-jar/soy sauce with a few dashes of orange bitters, which was good.

I tempura'd a bunch of asparagus and (not pictured) a couple different kinds of pickles that I'd made a couple weeks ago. It was really good! I had to call my mom over to help eat it all.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sichuan cabbage (recipe)

I tried this, with a few substitutions!

I just kind of eyeballed the seasonings & such, and it ended up too gingery and too szechuan-y, but it was good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Imbroglio posted:

Any suggestions for foods that go well with sauerkraut? I just made a ton of it and, while it's awesome on its own, it would be nice to mix things up a bit. Most of the recommendations I'm finding on the internet are pretty meaty.

first thing that came to mind is this, which all works pretty well with the kraut, though sandwiches are my primary use of the stuff