Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I'm not drinking a craft IPA at the moment but I've had them in the past and they are pretty good. Currently drinking a Shipyard Summer (kinda cheating because I'm using a Heineken koozie)

Who else is drinking on this beautiful July 5th? I'm assuming it's as nice across the world as it is in New England :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i only consume kraft products

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
currently drinking kirkland light beer

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I like the Laurelwood Workhorse IPA its my personal favorite. I also enjoy the Deschutes Chainbreaker white IPA.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm filtering fermented gummy bear hooch through a dirty sock

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

if I drink high enough of a proof of alcohol can I drink my pee and get drunk?

E: I think Smuttynose IPA resigns supreme

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 5, 2015

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
look at this city boy who thinks he's too good to huff paint like a real american

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

look at this city boy who thinks he's too good to huff paint like a real american

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
every morning starts with a finger of whisky just to get everything moving

then after I smoke the morning bowl and brush my teeth, a shot or so with breakfast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ipa is over now. bitter is done. its all sour now. chug that poo poo down and smile through the shudders

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Fermented hobo piss is the latest thing, believe me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

ipa is over now. bitter is done. its all sour now. chug that poo poo down and smile through the shudders

really i mostly just see IPAs in the craft sections. i thought sours were already el-passe too since they were most popular in 2009ish. i love sours though

ciders are definitely on the way out, they were super popular a year ago and now winding down.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
im on my way to kansas city so ill probably drink a shitload of boulevard or something and get nice and drunk and watch some womens soccer and then ill go home and switch to vodka and black out thanks for reading

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tree's Hop Head IPA remains one of my staples.

Real hurthling! posted:

Beer drinkers rambling endlessly about sours is as close as we get to wine snobbery.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Good :mad:

I liked hoppy beers but then suddenly a few summers ago that made me a hipster?? Idk

Sours are gross, enjoy you handlebar mustache having weirdos

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oh wow you're drinking on the weekend op? that's really interesting and also cool for you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skeleton Ape posted:

Good :mad:

I liked hoppy beers but then suddenly a few summers ago that made me a hipster?? Idk

Sours are gross, enjoy you handlebar mustache having weirdos
nah IPAs are still gunna be craft beer of choice because it's cheap and quick to produce. it doesn't make you a "hipster" to like them and never did, but it's just the most popular type right now and likely into the forseeable future for beer.

there's some other trends like ciders and such but those are still mostly just offshoot tandems. sours are def an acquired taste. i thought they tasted like lovely kombucha the first time i tried them but now i rather like them. pretty loving rare to find though. anderson valley had some pretty tasty ones.

i'd guess ~authentic carribean style rum~ is likely going to be spirit of choice but who knows.

and facial hair was soooo last year

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

thathonkey posted:

oh wow you're drinking on the weekend op? that's really interesting and also cool for you

haha yeah man i don't need alcohol to have a good time

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nefarious posted:

haha yeah man i don't need alcohol to have a good time

nice nice i didnt know others lived the sXe life :respek:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Woah bra no need to hate just grab a brew and chllax...yo anyone bring some shatter?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbZe1dR2gZc

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Double/imperial IPAs all day for me. Back home with the fam and drinking The Audacity of Hops by the Cambridge Brewing Company

will probably never have it again so I'll enjoy it while is lasts

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
you know who else liked ipas?

hitler

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i only drink straight piss.

not bad beer either i'm talkin urine boys. human urine. stay thirsty friends!

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Philthy posted:

you know who else liked ipas?

hitler

I'm sure he liked weisswurst and schnitzel who the gently caress cares tho

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IPA is garbage beer that was only invented because British soldiers had to drink something other than Ganges poo poo-water and the brewers figured they'd hop the everloving poo poo out of the swill they sent over so it would either not spoil or taste so godawful you didn't know it was spoiled but it was still better than Ganges poo poo-water.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

IPA is garbage beer that was only invented because British soldiers had to drink something other than Ganges poo poo-water and the brewers figured they'd hop the everloving poo poo out of the swill they sent over so it would either not spoil or taste so godawful you didn't know it was spoiled but it was still better than Ganges poo poo-water.

So what's better? Malty sweet beer because you can't stand bitter flavor like a child?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I had a bunch of Starr Hill's Grateful Pale Ale the other night, might be a new favorite of mine tbh

Their Northern Lights is good too. If you were looking for reccs there you go

edit: oh they're APAs though I hope that's okay :ohdear:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
actually, it's all about the IPLs now

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Waste of time, tastes like piss, is a delight for wankers.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
IPAs are for hipsters and pussies

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Adults drink liquor. Don Draper and Nucky Thomson would be ashamed.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
op, have you ever had sour beer?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
brah, ever had <some stupid bullshit>? it's so crisp and smooth. seasonal though, sucks bro, only comes around like once a year. i always buy lots of extra but it never lasts! lol. god i love drinking beer.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Prorat posted:

Adults drink liquor. Don Draper and Nucky Thomson would be ashamed.

Yes sugary mixed drinks concocted to a level of lower abv than an ipa is so adult

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Beer snobs I know say that the progression is IPA -> Sour -> Russian Imperial -> Barley Wine

Except barley wine tastes like jam and russian imperial is loving undrinkable in the summer.

bourbon it is.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lufiron posted:

Yes sugary mixed drinks concocted to a level of lower abv than an ipa is so adult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I don't want to be hungover at work tomorrow so now I'm drinking Crystal Light and watching Women's Soccer

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Lufiron posted:

So what's better? Malty sweet beer because you can't stand bitter flavor like a child?

Abloobloobloo im sorry I dont like beverages cultivated to taste like literal poison. lambics forever ipas neveahhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
"Fantasy Factory"

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Branded green pry-off pressure cap. Boasts some of the best label art I've ever seen.

Acquired: via trade with Duff27. Thanks, man!

Reviewed live at low altitude in Austin, TX. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Vintage: 2015.
ABV: 6.3% ABV.
Style: IPA (per the label).
Serving Temp: Cold.
Serving vessel: Pilsner glass.
Expectations: High. I was pleasantly surprised with Silk Scorpion.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: ~1 inch wide. Off-white colour. Nice creamy thick consistency. Even-keeled, soft-looking, and aptly frothy for the style. Leaves a light ring of lacing as it recedes.

Retention: ~4-5 minutes. Pretty good for the style.

BODY: Striking, with an unusual haziness suggestive of hop oils. Translucent transparent yellow-copper of below average vibrance. No yeast particles or hop sediment is visible, but I wouldn't call it a clean appearance.

Appears well-carbonated, with a body indicative of a lack of filtration.

AROMA: Pale malts, biscuit malt, graham cracker, clean barley. The malts seem nicely in step with the hop profile, which is comprised of dank resins, pleasant floral character, and some tropical fruit (primarily mango and tangerine). Given the tropical leanings, I suspect new world hop varieties were used (I'm not great at guessing, but maybe mosaic, galaxy, or the like).

No yeast character, booze, or off-notes are detectable.

Aromatic intensity: above average.

Suggests a sticky coating brew with a rough-around-the-edges balance and a ripe taste.

TASTE: The pale malt backbone is bolstered by some English leaning biscuit malt as well as a dab of caramalt and some pleasant graham cracker character on the fringe.

The hop profile is dominated by tropical fruit: mango, tangerine, maybe a bit of pineapple (which is a note I usually despise in beer, but it doesn't bother me here). Resinous, with touches of dank herbal character. It's a biteen candied, which doesn't do it any favours. In spite of the tangerine, I'm reticent to call this citrusy; there aren't juicy fruity bursts of orange or grapefruit. It has some floral character, of course, but it's secondary to the ripe tropical fruit. As it comes to temperature, I pick up on some faint pith, but no real fruit peel. A kiss of bitter rind, sure.

Depth of flavour: Average.
Flavour duration: Average.
Flavour intensity: Average, though notable considering its scant 6.30% ABV.
Flavour amplitude: Nice.

It's a decently balanced brew, but isn't quite dialed in; there's not a harmony of malts to hops, and I find it a bit too sweet. It's complex for its modest ABV, but sure there are far more intricate IPAs out there.

No yeast character or off-notes come through, though the alcohol is far more noticeable than it should be.

Constructively, I'd like to see them tone down the sweetness (starting with removing the candied element and some caramalt) and play up the fruit. The pineapple needs to go, and some flaked malts would leaven the body appropriately.

TEXTURE: Chewy, slightly oily, medium-bodied, and a touch too thick. Smooth and wet enough to be refreshing without going full-out slick and reducing flavour duration. Overcarbonated.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

This mouthfeel complements the taste well enough, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to the flavour profile and fails to elevate the beer. No notes are accentuated, aside from maybe the mild hop oil flavour. A cleaner, lighter body would provide more effective delivery of flavour.

OVERALL: Drinkable though this is, the discerning drinker will be unimpressed. It's a nice IPA from Wisconsin and I'm glad I got to try it, but the wide availability of superior offerings will make this a brew I don't intend to revisit. Far from world-class, but it's clearly an inspired brew, and won't disappoint.

Huge thanks to Duff27 for the bottle!

C+ (3.16)

• Locked thread