Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think next episode is going to be the real tipping point. All the character introductions are out of the way, and they're hitting one of the best chapters from the manga. Let's see if they can rise to the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I can't take credit for this, but someone's having fun with Overlord (another series airing right now). The characters are also a devil and a vampire!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This right here. This is why the anime will never be as good as the manga.

Still, the episode wasn't terrible. Keep on keepin' on, I guess...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Too many still frames this episode. Second half wasn't bad I guess.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

StandardVC10 posted:

Too many still frames this episode. Second half wasn't bad I guess.

Second half was a lot closer to what the show ought to be than it has been so far.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was terrible, the asteroid chapter was one of the best in the entire manga and they just dropped the ball horribly here. The flaws with how they adapted it are just too many to list so I'll leave it at that. How utterly disappointing. :( :( :(

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darn, I was enjoying this show too, almost enough for a top 5 aoty vote.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
And this is why I watch anime before reading manga. I thought it was great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I haven't read the manga yet, and I was still pretty disappointed. It's like it started really good, and then they just filled in the rest with still frames right where the really good parts should have been.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CrazySalamander posted:

And this is why I watch anime before reading manga. I thought it was great.

I haven't read a page of this manga. This powerpoint slideshow of an episode was pretty awful on it's own.

Of course now when I see this happen I just imagine a Shirobako situation where they are pressed for time in some lose-lose scenario. We'll see how they close out the series.

edit: holy grammar batman

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 25, 2015

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe it's more akin to inside humor, but the "powerpoint show" complete with overdramatic music was what really clinched it for me. It felt like they were going for a memorial kind of feel, and I almost fell off the couch from laughing at the stupidity. If they had to skimp on animation somewhere I'm kind of glad it went to a gag like this instead of somewhere else.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

CrazySalamander posted:

Maybe it's more akin to inside humor, but the "powerpoint show" complete with overdramatic music was what really clinched it for me. It felt like they were going for a memorial kind of feel, and I almost fell off the couch from laughing at the stupidity. If they had to skimp on animation somewhere I'm kind of glad it went to a gag like this instead of somewhere else.

Yeah that was sort of my take on it as well. A sort of "whats going in while the world ends" sort of thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

CrazySalamander posted:

That (and what came directly after), if anything, felt closer to the manga than the rest of the anime so far. Highlight of the ep. Hell, maybe of the series.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I think I'm starting to like the OP. Hrmm.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Herbotron posted:

I think I'm starting to like the OP. Hrmm.

Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a drug.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've never disliked the OP

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the OP.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I too would learn to love the OP, if the alternative was having my face chewed off by rats. :v:

Now, I can appreciate it's difficult to translate the pacing of a humor manga to animation. But drat, even then I feel like they're botching the pacing on this one. Everything just feels... off.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

New episode. This time it covered chapters 18 and 19.

Appreciated the added scenes with the Best Worst, Shimada. Otherwise, pretty straightforward(except Mikan's glasses).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I just caught up with the recent episodes and asteroid chapter was done great, y'all nerds are dumb.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm, I wonder if the anime will get to the part in the manga where Shiho eats Nagisa's rear end. Like, seriously, that just happened, right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fellis posted:

I just caught up with the recent episodes and asteroid chapter was done great, y'all nerds are dumb.

Yeah, you can look at our comments on how the asteroid part was great - it was the only thing that was like the comic.

That's ... kind of our whole problem with the show.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been loving the poo poo out of the show. Maybe it's because I recognized some things would get lost in translation between manga and anime, and I went in knowing it would be good-but-not-as-good-as-the-manga but I honestly haven't been disappointed yet.

I guess some people are just super, super picky.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, I've been enjoying the anime too, there's no way they were going to stick to the manga 100% and I like the increased focus on Kuromine and Youko's relationship.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 7, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

khy posted:

I've been loving the poo poo out of the show. Maybe it's because I recognized some things would get lost in translation between manga and anime, and I went in knowing it would be good-but-not-as-good-as-the-manga but I honestly haven't been disappointed yet.

Or some people have super, super low standards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welcome to the world of idiots

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I can't imagine where they're going to leave off in, what, two more episodes?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nipponophile posted:

Or some people have super, super low standards.

Yeah dude, i watch anime. HBO it ain't

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime is good and being self depreciating about liking it, isn't.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

khy posted:

I've been spoiled by Manga-to-Anime in the past: Jojo, Berserk Golden Age, Monster Musume, and One Punch Man.

I don't really drop shows, but I haven't been actively pursuing this either.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zeruel posted:

I've been spoiled by Manga-to-Anime in the past: Jojo, Berserk Golden Age, Monster Musume, and One Punch Man.

I don't really drop shows, but I haven't been actively pursuing this either.

Past, Past, Present, Future.

No I'm just poking fun. I really haven't been very disappointed thus far with this anime. Yes, some bits aren't exactly identical to the manga and they definitely toned down many of the retard faces but it still manages to hit all the right notes in the end.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

It only took 11, but I really really liked this episode. :allears:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yes, not a bad ep. The debut of icecreamine was a little disappointing, but it was still fun.

Is this show at all popular enough to get a season 2?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Agronox posted:

Yes, not a bad ep. The debut of icecreamine was a little disappointing, but it was still fun.

Is this show at all popular enough to get a season 2?

It seems that this week was the release week for blu rays for some of this season's series and it includes JiwaWawa. So we will find out initial sales by next week.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm, a non-manga ending that has no choice than to be horribly, horribly rushed.

The characters really needed more time to breathe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lol what happened, I watched two episodes and stopped since I prefer the manga over the choices they made for the show

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

They did manage to make it to the Sleep Induction Device and it was good.

If anyone cares anymore, it looks like we're headed for an anime original ending of some sort for the final episode next week.

They took chapter 46 and changed up a lot of things.

e: People posted while I read the manga thinking "wait, what really happened here?"

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Lol what happened, I watched two episodes and stopped since I prefer the manga over the choices they made for the show

Every episode up to now was pretty dedicated to the source material.

This episode:
First half was Kuromine bummed because Shiragami has been distant after the festival incident where Aizawa and Icecreamine were embracing each other, or she fell on him whatever. Asahi's bros tell Kuromine to just confess to Shiragami and they'll be there for him when she dumps him. While that's going on, Aizawa and Mikan eavesdrop and hear his plan. Shiragami is talking to Shiho and Shiho tells her to be honest with herself. Aizawa is bummed because she likes Kuromine and his icecreamy goodness and the principal appears to tell her just that. She gives Aizawa a picture of their embrace and threatens to put it in the school paper. Akari puts a stop to the principal but leaves the picture. Aizawa keeps the photo but only to be surrounded by Kuromine, the bros and Mikan. Curiosity about the photo ensues, Icecreamine returns, compromising position, Shiragami sees and runs away. She goes home and misses a call from her dad.

Second half im shortening because this is waaaaay too much effort. Kuromine has nightmare about Youko leaving. Youko tells Kuromine to meet at roof after school to tell him something. Time comes. Chapter 46 happens with less Ryou and more Sleep Induction Device. Asahi wears Aizawa down because He Loves Shiragami!!1! Finally gets to roof but oops too late a huge loving bat has taken Youko away. End of ep 12

e: if anything there were giffable moments at least.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

BD/DVD sales are out and JiWaWaWa didn't even make a blip.

RIP JiWaWaWa the anime, you were dead as soon as the adverts started.

• Locked thread