Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What?

Like, really, what? I watched it after I uploaded it to make sure it didn't break. Then I went to check it in the video manager and it seems fine?

I don't even know sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgMOv-VkzI

I clicked that link to make it sure it worked and it does for now maybe?

I have no idea.

Yeah, this was my experience in the last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I never had a PSX, and only got a PS2 when Dark Cloud 2 was released, so I was late to the party. I had only played 4, 5, and 6 properly, having skipped 7 on general principle because of its horrendous translation (though I played some of it in Japanese); with so little foundation in the next-gen, 3D games, I could only dick around a tiny bit in 8 and 9 before losing interest. :( I think that's when I starting switching over to the DQ camp, too.

I'm enjoying the LP, though! Maybe someday I'll dust off my disk and give it another try.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Finally caught up on this thread. I love the piss out of this game. What does everybody do while reading SSLPs? I haven't followed many, but I'm wondering if I should play alongside OP or not. I'm getting the itch to play this like crazy.

Also, I can't see Zidane in cutscenes without seeing David Bowie from Zoolander.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember Doctor Tot as well, since I was actively forgetting Zok's name in FFV and used that one instead once.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember Doctor Tot. Admittedly its mainly because His is the Nose That Will Sniff Out The Heavens.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The original designs of his 3D render did actually give him visible eyes, but then they put a belt on him.

Appreciating Steiner I think largely depends on how much you enjoyed Falstaff in Henry IV. There's a distinct influence there.
There is but there's a bit of difference too. One of the big ones is that while Steiner certainly gets up to Falstaff worth actions, he's not as jovial nor is he a bro to the progatonist here.
Flying Steiner is certainly one of his top moments though!

Mega64 posted:

Steiner's in a blind panic at this point.
Little details moment: those are sparks coming from his armor scraping on the stone. :allearsL

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Jesus, he looks like he's going to eat the Theater Ship whole, here. :stare:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Brony Hunter posted:

Also, FFIX has an amazing attention to detail. Many of these little bits of dialogue, these seemingly unimportant NPCs and tidbits of lore you can find in the prologue will all come into play later in the game. FFIX rewards those with long memories.

This is the kind of stuff in RPGs that is either hit or miss and I'd call this one a miss. "Hey, do you remember this random tidbit of information from hours (if not days or weeks) ago? No? gently caress you." Unless you wrote it down, which isn't something I'd imagine a kid would do, who is going to remember that kind of thing? I mean it's not like it's relevant later on Disc 1. It's on Disc 3! That's preposterous. The Knight thing that is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zfleeman posted:

Also, I can't see Zidane in cutscenes without seeing David Bowie from Zoolander.

Pretty sure this is actually intentional.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

This is the kind of stuff in RPGs that is either hit or miss and I'd call this one a miss. "Hey, do you remember this random tidbit of information from hours (if not days or weeks) ago? No? gently caress you." Unless you wrote it down, which isn't something I'd imagine a kid would do, who is going to remember that kind of thing? I mean it's not like it's relevant later on Disc 1. It's on Disc 3! That's preposterous. The Knight thing that is.

The Knight thing comes into play once in what's probably the shortest sidequest in the game, and the only reward is nice, but ultimately something that's possible to gain multiple copies of. The sidequest is really just there to add more depth to the setting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The original designs of his 3D render did actually give him visible eyes, but then they put a belt on him.

Little did we know that this was only the start for Nomura...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

This is the head chef of Alexandria. This creature is also a main character because why not.

So, my take on this is that (minor spoilers) this is a Qu, but not that Qu. The whole point with the other party member is that s/he has to move out of the swamp and try eating more things than frogs. I find it very hard to believe that s/he became the head chef in Alexandria, then went back to the swamp and was still considered inexperienced in food.

Edit: vvv Oh yeah? Weird.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2015

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
No, that is indeed Quana. S/he talks about cooking in Alexandria multiple times.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love how the fact that Alexandrian males are worthless is a thing that keeps being brought up. Sure, the Alexandrian soldiers fight in weird metal lotards, but they're clearly in charge!

I like it ebcause it's different from normal generic fantasy kigndoms without going into full-fledged straw feminist territory.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is but there's a bit of difference too. One of the big ones is that while Steiner certainly gets up to Falstaff worth actions, he's not as jovial nor is he a bro to the progatonist here.
Flying Steiner is certainly one of his top moments though!

Well, both Steiner and Falstaff are fat and carry swords. Other than that, they are basically opposites. Falstaff is the life of the party, a friend to everyone but the king, and constantly makes sex jokes. Steiner is a stick in the mud, button-down wet blanket in a sexless, bloodless JPRG.

I mean, Steiner has about as much in common with Falstaff as he does with Barney. They are both big dudes with simple personalities in a kid's entertainment medium. But Barney exists in a universe of bright, solid colors where Steiner lives in the most baroquely cluttered JRPG world ever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Steiner is the senex.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Now that we've had a proper introduction to Steiner, I can start to explain one of my problems. When it comes to FFX, I don't think any individual character's design, barring Tidus, is outright bad, but when the characters are taken as a group or put within the context of the scenery, problems appear. Lulu's dress of belts seems silly, but I can forgive it since she's the dark mage. One look at the character is enough to show that she will be the one to use black magic. I, however, can't forgive it in light of the fact she lives in a beach resort town. FFIX has this same problem, although in a different direction.

IX gives us cartoon characters. They, barring, once again, a couple examples, are wonderfully designed. They have style; they have flourish. Steiner fills the role of a bumbling sidekick with a good heart. He's the knight in shining armor, but, unlike the typical knight, he is fat--the perfect juxtaposition of ideal and reality. I could see him in a cartoon, stumbling into solution that foil the bad guy. There is also something to be said about how he actually wears full armor. As has been stated, the Alexandrian knights, the most official military force in the kingdom, wear revealing, unarmored uniforms. Steiner demonstrates his unflinching, to the point of comedy, loyalty by wearing a full suit of armor. The design is clever: simple, memorable, and says a lot about the character.

The problem with cartoonish characters is, of course, the lack of "human" resemblance. Cartoons don't always look like people, being prone to exaggerated features as they are, but we recognize them as being human in design. Zidane's and Garnet's oversized heads aren't realistic. Yet, we can accept them. There is a general rule that it doesn't matter how detached from reality individual character's designs are as long as the entire universe follows the same logic of design. Steiner is, for me, an example of this failure. Zidane and Garnet (and to some extent the other members of Tantalus, the townspeople, and the Alexandrian guards) have one set of design with small torso, long limbs, large hands, and large heads. Steiner has a bulbous stomach, trapezoidal head, and comparatively stubby limbs. He is a departure from the established guidelines for how humans look in this universe. Now, Steiner isn't a "bad" example of this. Even if his design is a departure it could've been chalked up to a singular outlier to draw more attention to the more standard design had it not been for some future characters. Alternatively, you could apply the same logic to Zorn and Thorn, including being outliers. I feel that the character design though individually good, it didn't work as a broad whole.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I dunno, I think his design works because of how it clashes with everyone else. Steiner is very much out of place, and the difference between how he looks and how everyone else looks helps to reinforce that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ultrafilter posted:

I dunno, I think his design works because of how it clashes with everyone else. Steiner is very much out of place, and the difference between how he looks and how everyone else looks helps to reinforce that.

Yeah, that's kind of the point of Steiner. He's generally pretty noticeable, bumbling around yelling PRINCESS everywhere, wearing loud clanky armour, and being a general doofus. He's supposed to stick out. That's his entire thing, he has almost no subtlety, at least at the start of the game.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Huh, I wonder what was said in the original Japanese here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, both Steiner and Falstaff are fat and carry swords. Other than that, they are basically opposites. Falstaff is the life of the party, a friend to everyone but the king, and constantly makes sex jokes. Steiner is a stick in the mud, button-down wet blanket in a sexless, bloodless JPRG.

I mean, Steiner has about as much in common with Falstaff as he does with Barney. They are both big dudes with simple personalities in a kid's entertainment medium. But Barney exists in a universe of bright, solid colors where Steiner lives in the most baroquely cluttered JRPG world ever.

I'm not sure if Steiner is supposed to be considered fat; I always had a feeling that, bumbling attitude aside, his physical state is meant to be broad rather than fat, just hidden by the armour.

Steiner just sticks out to me because of his large eyebrows and the lack of armour on that certain portion of his legs. Plus that we have no idea what his hair is like underneath that hat. He might even be bald.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Arbite posted:

Huh, I wonder what was said in the original Japanese here.
Just "Ya! Ho!" So kind of a generic grunt. Nicely localized!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Okay, maybe oblong, bottom-heavy or pear-shaped work better than fat. With his psychotic eyes and giant, lipless mouth, it's pretty clear that his body is meant to be funny, so I assumed they made him fat for comedy. But no, the only place his armor pulls close to his body is at his hips, which aren't so big. A weird choice.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Just "Ya! Ho!" So kind of a generic grunt. Nicely localized!

this whole game has a fantastic localisation. I don't think there's a better one in a mainline FF

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think Steiner is supposed to be like that guy who was buff but once he hit 30 he started letting himself go a little. Still strong as hell (seriously, the guy can wreck some poo poo) but the muscles are buried under a little chubbiness.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
What gets me most about his design is he's wearing full plate mail shorts. It looks totally ridiculous (as it's supposed to).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Twib posted:

The Knight thing comes into play once in what's probably the shortest sidequest in the game, and the only reward is nice, but ultimately something that's possible to gain multiple copies of. The sidequest is really just there to add more depth to the setting.

I mean I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm the kind of dude who will reset vs the Luca Goers and actually spent a day trying (and failing) to get a shiny starter. If I CAN do it, I feel like I should do it. This is one that, like the Goers, feels really unfair.

All this Steiner love is surprising to me. I just couldn't stand the guy. Even at this point, going into the game knowing he's a party member, I wanted him to go away.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I mean I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm the kind of dude who will reset vs the Luca Goers and actually spent a day trying (and failing) to get a shiny starter. If I CAN do it, I feel like I should do it. This is one that, like the Goers, feels really unfair.

All this Steiner love is surprising to me. I just couldn't stand the guy. Even at this point, going into the game knowing he's a party member, I wanted him to go away.

Steiner always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

morallyobjected posted:

Steiner always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

Correction:

Steiner and Vivi always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Steiner has the best walking sound ever in a video game.

Yeah, I like the silly metal clanking as he's running.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FFIX is a game that is vastly wrecked by only allowing 4 party members into your team at any time. Unlike FF7 and 8, which had a cast that could more or less be hand-picked and raised as you want with only limit breaks and equipment differentiating them, every last party member in FF9 is unique, fills a distinct niche (okay, there's two white mage/summoner hybrids) and several of them are sort of dependent on other party members being around to work to their fullest. There's just not enough spaces in your team for a party that is, for the most part, all unique and interesting and worth using. I think that's the whole reason FFX ended up with its rotating party mechanic, really.

Not that I should really be going into much depth about the battle system when we've hardly seen battles yet. :shrug:

IAmTheRad posted:

Steiner has the best walking sound ever in a video game.

Yeah, I like the silly metal clanking as he's running.

This goon, however, knows what's up. CLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG

Expect to hear that sound for the rest of the game, all 1230-40 hours of it. Steiner is a man who makes his presence known.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

If it's the character I think you meant, no he didn't. You can only first meet said character when running around as Steiner in the castle, looking for the rest of the knights.

:dance: For some reason I thought you had to visit the kitchen as Zidane, forgot it was as Steiner.

KataraniSword posted:

FFIX is a game that is vastly wrecked by only allowing 4 party members into your team at any time... and several of them are sort of dependent on other party members being around to work to their fullest.

This is completely wrong. Every character has a way of doing maximum damage all on their own. (While 3 people have to build this with special mechanical systems, only 1 is really obtuse) While Steiner does it with less MP cost with somebody else in the party, he can still do it on his own easily at the end of the game. Also, no matter which 4 party members you have, you always have a sustainable team. There is no combination of 4 characters that won't give you some way of healing your party without items. Every character is worth using, and brings interesting abilities to the party.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you don't shuffle your party completely at every opportunity, I don't know what to tell you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

FFIX is a game that is vastly wrecked by only allowing 4 party members into your team at any time. Unlike FF7 and 8, which had a cast that could more or less be hand-picked and raised as you want with only limit breaks and equipment differentiating them, every last party member in FF9 is unique, fills a distinct niche (okay, there's two white mage/summoner hybrids) and several of them are sort of dependent on other party members being around to work to their fullest. There's just not enough spaces in your team for a party that is, for the most part, all unique and interesting and worth using. I think that's the whole reason FFX ended up with its rotating party mechanic, really.

That's a personal preference. I personally like it when characters are unique. And there is very little forcing you to bring a particular character. Even healers aren't that difficult to work around not having.

I mean, you might as well say that FFIV or FFVI is wrecked by only allowing 5 or 4 character-parties because they have such a huge cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's a personal preference. I personally like it when characters are unique. And there is very little forcing you to bring a particular character. Even healers aren't that difficult to work around not having.

I mean, you might as well say that FFIV or FFVI is wrecked by only allowing 5 or 4 character-parties because they have such a huge cast.
FFIV and FFVI limit your party in various ways for most of the game, and the endgame of FFVI has the multi-party gimmick.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There are only three things I would change about FFIX's battle/party system.

I'd implement FFX's rotating party system, as others have alluded to.

I'd let you save Trance to activate whenever.

And I'd like to make it possible to have bosses with more than 65535 HP, because as is, almost anything dies in seven actions.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There are only three things I would change about FFIX's battle/party system.

I'd implement FFX's rotating party system, as others have alluded to.

I'd let you save Trance to activate whenever.

And I'd like to make it possible to have bosses with more than 65535 HP, because as is, almost anything dies in seven actions.
Yes, yes, multiple parts like Neo Exdeath.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I didn't think that FFIV's end-game party was in any way deficient, honestly. There certainly weren't any characters I wanted on the team that weren't there, and the ones that were missing had darn good reasons for not being there. FFIV character discussion below.

Edward: Garbage. Hanging out in a castle populated entirely by women (and frogs).
Palom: Not as good as Rosa. Literally a child. Usually stoned.
Porom: Not as good as Rydia. See above.
Tellah: Went out trying to save the world from Golbez.
FuSoYa: Went out trying to save the world with Golbez.
Yang: Exploded in a cannon. Taken care of by fairies. Formidable wife. Not as good as Edge.
Cid: Exploded in a suicide bombing. Taken care of by Dwarves. Formidable beard. Not as good as Kain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ENGINE NOISES

This is nothing. I have been training to escape the castle, after all.
What a waste. If only you weren't a princess...
We have no time for idle banter. Come, let us move on!

I've kinda forgotten what a self-assured badass Garnet was this early on. Then again, women in the PS1 FF games in particular are women of action.

So this one-time room has a gimmick to it.

We can turn the wheel left and right to get items to drop.

If you reduce the engine's power, you'll crash the ship!

Turn it left, and Cinna tells us to turn it back right.

And vice-versa.

But we get a Phoenix Down and Phoenix Pinion out of it so gently caress Cinna.

In the next room...

Princess! I, Steiner, have come to your rescue!

Good work! This will be remembered as the Pluto Knights' finest hour!
Hehehe!

You're not one of my knights!
You can just...
...leave the princess...

So now we have Zidane, Cinna, and Blank (remember, he's the one who actually kept his disguise on for more than a minute) going against Steiner.

Steiner's a pushover. He has low HP and doesn't hit too hard.

But he does have some goodies to steal. We could've gotten a Silk Shirt from the play-fight earlier, but might as well get one AND a Moonstone.

The Mage Masher does essentially double the damage of Zidane's starting weapon.

After losing enough HP, Steiner pulls off a flashy move against Blank.

And proceeds to release all those Oglops Blank was holding on to.

Thankfully, Zidane and the princess are unfazed.

Now's our chance! Come on!

And then Prince Schneider and his kingdom will be mine! Gwahahahaha!

Why, my poor Marcus! Hark, lad. No matter how much thou dost treasure Cornelia...no matter how deeply she might believe she doth love thee...never shall I see her marry a peasant such as thee!

Hmmm...

Okay! Princess Garnet, this way!

Ho? What's all this?

(Um...)
(Marcus is Cornelia's lover!)

(Yeah, you're doing great!)
(Ahaha. I have studied drama, you know.)
(Okay, guys. Let's keep going. Brahne's still watchin', after all!)

I wish never to leave thy side. Prithee, lead me from this place!
See, King Leo? Thou shouldst give them thy blessing!

Never leave his side, thou sayest? Foolish banter! I'll not allow it!

Is that not so, Prince Schneider?

Aye! And this traitorous crew, I will put to death!

Nay, Father! I shan't return!
Cornelia... Trouble me no more. This wedding is for thine own welfare. Be mindful of that.

Now is my moment of vengeance! For my parents, and for my love, Cornelia...

Mar...cus, forgive me. I still love my father...

Prithee, forgive my selfishness, Father, and spare my sweet Marcus...

Am I cursed never again to feel her soft touch!? O, cruel fate! Thou hast robbed me of all I treasure!

This year's show is splendid!

Why did she have to die!? Why!?

I'm glad we climbed all the way over here. How 'bout you, huh?

Princess!!!

AUDIENCE NOISES

Princess Garnet! Let's get outta here!
What... What is going on!?

Captain, sir! We await your orders, sir!

Princess! I'm afraid I cannot comply!
Stubborn as always, aren't you?
Come on, Princess. Let's ditch Sir Rustalot and get outta here!

Y-Yeah. I just tripped, that's all...

After all that, we've got Zidane, Marcus, Garnet, and Vivi against Steiner and a couple Knights of Pluto.

Garnet has both Summon and White Magic. I'll go into that a little later.

Vivi has Black Magic and Focus. Focus simply boosts magic power a bit. It has its uses.

Vivi has access to Fire, so he's able to contribute a good chunk of damage.

H-Hey! Come back here!

The two Pluto Knights go down easily. Thankfully there's no steals for this battle since Zidane and Marcus are stuck with SFX, so we can focus on beating these guys down effortlessly.

Like all the other battles, you have to try to lose this one.

Good!
Engine room is good to go!
Alright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssBa8bnJDCA

We don't know how much Queen Brahne knows, but she definitely knows something is up.

Looks like escape isn't going to be easy.

Nobles in this game are pretty ugly.

And of course there's a cannon that shoots a giant Bomb enemy, why not.

This battle is scripted. It ends in three rounds so you don't really need to do anything.

All that happens is Steiner attacks people while the bomb grows. And of course lots of conversation.

I'll not fall for such an old trick!
Please, Steiner! Behind you!

Surrender at once!
It's a bomb!
It's gonna blow!
I'll not fall for such an old trick!

So much for Steiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YYI_-Ceo4w

Uh... You do realize your daughter was on there, right?

Not that it matters since it wouldn't be much of a game if most of our party died in the first hour.

Of course, the Prima Vista's in pretty sorry shape at this point.

Queen Brahne clearly wanted more explosions in her theater-viewing experience.

Welp... We're done with the introductory section, but we're not out of danger quite yet...

I never imagined you would do such a thing. Perhaps you're not such a helpless little girl anymore...

Is our little experiment ready?
Yes, Your Majesty. It is combat-ready.
Easily terminate Princess Garnet, it can, Your Majesty.
I need her alive!

Seems we haven't seen the last of Queen Brahne.

Next time, we'll start learning about the combat system and other gameplay mechanics.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 9, 2015

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I love this game.

Why did this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Vivi has bad aim (in cutscenes)?