Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
sorry it was consummated at 9 i got it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

sorry it was consummated at 9 i got it wrong

wow, what an old maid

edit: It's really weird to imagine Jesus as a child rapist.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cumslut1895 posted:

wow, what an old maid

edit: It's really weird to imagine Jesus as a child rapist.

And yet really easy to imagine the people that follow his teachings as them. Paradoxes!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Odin once drank a shitload of the ymirs beer just because. but they found him out! He turned into a bird and flew away over Midgard. But he was so drunk, he puked all over the place.

That is why we humans have beer. Hail Odin!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

p sure 8 was young by standards back when too

not necessarily. women were betrothed and married at whatever age was convenient for the purpose of the marriage, for which there could be many, especially in the arab world where men were allowed and even expected to have multiple wives. aisha, who I'm assuming you're talking about, was married to muhammad at that age for the purpose of cementing the relationship between muhammad and her father, who had been friends for many years; with twelve wives, this was the case with many of muhammad's marriages.

islamaphobes are always really quick to say that muhammad was married to a nine-year-old, but as people who endorse junk ideologies always pick at the straw instead of the bale, they ignore the fact that he had eleven other wives in his lifetime who varied in age; most of them were closer to what we today consider adulthood and one was in her fifties when they were married.

or, on the other side of the coin but equally dishonest, they'll focus on the "muhammad had twelve wives" point to make it sound like he was rounding them up like cattle. this ignores the facts that 1) literally everyone treated women like cattle and 2) he never had twelve wives at any one time. his first wife, for instance, died before he ever married his second, and another died of illness shortly after they were married.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 6, 2015

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

not necessarily. women were betrothed and married at whatever age was convenient for the purpose of the marriage, for which there could be many, especially in the arab world where men were allowed and even expected to have multiple wives. aisha, who I'm assuming you're talking about, was married to muhammad at that age for the purpose of cementing the relationship between muhammad and her father, who had been friends for many years; with twelve wives, this was the case with many of muhammad's marriages.

islamaphobes are always really quick to say that muhammad was married to a nine-year-old, but as people who endorse junk ideologies are always so quick to pick at the straw instead of the bale, they ignore the fact that he had eleven other wives in his lifetime who varied in age; most of them were closer to what we today consider adulthood and one was in his fifties when they were married.

or, on the other side of the coin but equally dishonest, they'll focus on the "muhammad had twelve wives" point to make it sound like he was rounding them up like cattle. this ignores the facts that 1) literally everyone treated women like cattle and 2) he never had twelve wives at any one time. his first wife, for instance, died before he ever married his second, and another died of illness shortly after they were married.

Hi, I'm a nice person with an active social life. I help out around the community, and assist at the local retirement home.
I once raped a nine year old girl, and I'm part of a small art community opening in our town.

don't cherry pick my life man!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cumslut1895 posted:

Hi, I'm a nice person with an active social life. I help out around the community, and assist at the local retirement home.
I once raped a nine year old girl, and I'm part of a small art community opening in our town.

don't cherry pick my life man!

in the seventh century AD? you must be really old

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

islamaphobes are always really quick to say that muhammad was married to a nine-year-old, but as people who endorse junk ideologies always pick at the straw instead of the bale, they ignore the fact that he had eleven other wives in his lifetime who varied in age; most of them were closer to what we today consider adulthood and one was in her fifties when they were married.

yeah i don't care about betrothal (it was at 6 for her) i'm talking consummation

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

yeah i don't care about betrothal (it was at 6 for her) i'm talking consummation

take the word "betrothed" out of my post, then, it makes literally no difference to anything I said

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

take the word "betrothed" out of my post, then, it makes literally no difference to anything I said

my casual research does not reveal evidence of consummation that young (indeed evidence to the contrary but it's the internet and i'm just casually browsing so i won't repost it as hard and fast fact) and given you are asserting something that seems a bit novel could you please provide a source that consummation at age 9 was a common practice?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

my casual research does not reveal evidence of consummation that young (indeed evidence to the contrary but it's the internet and i'm just casually browsing so i won't repost it as hard and fast fact) and given you are asserting something that seems a bit novel could you please provide a source that consummation at age 9 was a common practice?

wikipedia:

Colin Turner, a UK professor of Islamic studies,[48] states that since such marriages between an older man and a young girl were customary among the Bedouins, Muhammad's marriage would not have been considered improper by his contemporaries.[49] Karen Armstrong, the British author on comparative religion, has affirmed that "There was no impropriety in Muhammad's marriage to Aisha. Marriages conducted in absentia to seal an alliance were often contracted at this time between adults and minors who were even younger than Aisha. This practice continued in Europe well into the early modern period."[50]

I'm going to assume you don't have access to my university's library so I can't link you to a pdf, but the references for this section don't appear disreputable. if you'd like to look into them yourself, however:

49: C. (Colin) Turner, Islam: The Basics, Routledge Press, p.34-35
50: Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: Prophet for Our Time, HarperPress, 2006, p.167 ISBN 0-00-723245-4

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Lots of sharp edges in this thread

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Say what you want about the Aztecs ripping a dudes heart out and eating it, but at least they didn't rape children or require a brigade of pedophile apologists for people to think they were radical.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Ohh shiiiiiiit you tell 'em man

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

wikipedia:

Colin Turner, a UK professor of Islamic studies,[48] states that since such marriages between an older man and a young girl were customary among the Bedouins, Muhammad's marriage would not have been considered improper by his contemporaries.[49] Karen Armstrong, the British author on comparative religion, has affirmed that "There was no impropriety in Muhammad's marriage to Aisha. Marriages conducted in absentia to seal an alliance were often contracted at this time between adults and minors who were even younger than Aisha. This practice continued in Europe well into the early modern period."[50]

I'm going to assume you don't have access to my university's library so I can't link you to a pdf, but the references for this section don't appear disreputable. if you'd like to look into them yourself, however:

49: C. (Colin) Turner, Islam: The Basics, Routledge Press, p.34-35
50: Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: Prophet for Our Time, HarperPress, 2006, p.167 ISBN 0-00-723245-4

religious leaders are generally known for breaking away from the traditions of the time in which they lived. jesus christ, for example, probably could have married a 9 year old, if he had wanted to, but he handed down an important lesson through the ages by remaining unmarried, itself very unusual at the time

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

anchoress posted:

religious leaders are generally known for breaking away from the traditions of the time in which they lived. jesus christ, for example, probably could have married a 9 year old, if he had wanted to, but he handed down an important lesson through the ages by remaining unmarried, itself very unusual at the time

Early Christianity was very anti-marriage. the authentic Pauline letters poo poo all over it and the later pseudopauline letters make a concession by saying "sure, marry of you want to, I guess, if you're really into that sort of thing." In the gnostic Acts of Thomas a post-resurrection Jesus aparrates into a couple's bed on their wedding night and says "Don't gently caress."

because like what's the point of earthly pleasures when the kingdom of heaven is just on the horizon. "Traditional Christian Marriage" is not being married, but rather dissolving all family bonds, giving up all worldly possessions to the Collective church, and preparing the way for the second coming of the lord

It was all pretty weird

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, there weren't any black Norse Gods, and it's super problematic. We need to retcon every fable and myth so they are more diverse to avoid further triggering.

The dark elves were all black though. They're evil. Super problematic.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

naem
May 29, 2011

My ex gf was a dark elf

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

anchoress posted:

he didn't remain unmarried so much as he was a radical itinerant rabbi who got executed when he was barely in his thirties

if he had not been executed, and if he had eventually retired or been pardoned from outlawry, he very likely would have been married. if he had been offered a child bride as was usual at the time and said "no, we should wait until she is at least 18 and then allow her to make her own decision", then you would have a point

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Svartalf stole my longship

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

he didn't remain unmarried so much as he was a radical itinerant rabbi who got executed when he was barely in his thirties

if he had not been executed, and if he had eventually retired or been pardoned from outlawry, he very likely would have been married. if he had been offered a child bride as was usual at the time and said "no, we should wait until she is at least 18 and then allow her to make her own decision", then you would have a point

ok then whatever. gently caress you.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
IIRC the Jews said you couldn't gently caress your child brides until they bled so that's pretty progressive IMO

Mordacai
May 23, 2015

by Ralp
because we not mix. diferent tribe.

black kushi is africa.

norse is europe.

i am israel jew, israel is birth place of world not kushi land.

give all kushi depo provera to be safes.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There are the Svartalfs, or dwarves. Not really gods but they probably lived in one of the 9 worlds

Jackfruited Stormtrooper
Feb 15, 2007

master of his domain
just me

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

So not only did Muhammad marry little girls and have twelve wives, but he killed each before marrying the next? hosed up.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, there weren't any black Norse Gods, and it's super problematic. We need to retcon every fable and myth so they are more diverse to avoid further triggering.

The dark elves were all black though. They're evil. Super problematic.

Norse mythology is the Tumblr of mythology.

Thor had to dress like a woman so he could marry a giant. Loki got pregnant from a horse. It was very progressive imo.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Yes OP and his name was Niggdrasil

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

Yes OP and his name was Niggdrasil

I feel bad for laughing at this.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dog buttz posted:

So not only did Muhammad marry little girls and have twelve wives, but he killed each before marrying the next? hosed up.

that would be hosed up, if it happened, which it didn't

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

that would be hosed up, if it happened, which it didn't

neither of us were there so I guess we'll never know

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Came here for jokes about Odin and ended up getting caught in a fight about Muslims.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

dog buttz posted:

neither of us were there so I guess we'll never know

I actually was

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Norse mythology is the Tumblr of mythology.

Thor had to dress like a woman so he could marry a giant. Loki got pregnant from a horse. It was very progressive imo.

Yes, but no blacks, thank the All-Father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
according to hollywood there are. but we all know their agenda, so...

• Locked thread